Capture the flag Anet?

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: Trexobc.8542

Trexobc.8542

First off Anet i would like to say thank you for all of your hard work, Now for what I’m here for,

Could we get a real capture the flag in pvp, red flag,blue flag,two capping points,can not cap if both sides have the flag, numbers i think should be fine with 5v5 or maybe 10v10! bigger fights for them flags!

Just an idea thanks for reading,

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Eh personally hate that map/style so don’t think expanding it would help. However to each their own.

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

Spirit Watch is the closest thing we have to a proper Capture the Flag
._.

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Sounds like someone wants a bit of Halo in there Guild Wars 2.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Trexobc.8542

capture the flag has been out before halo x_x

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: tevoro.1587

tevoro.1587

The thing you’re looking for is spirit watch. Except there’s only one flag and three points. This is also the reason we’re unlikely to see a CTF similar to what you’re asking for.

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Trexobc.8542

:( maybe some day they will add CTF.

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

capture the flag has been out before halo x_x

I’ll file that under things I already know. But it’s the most modern reference for CTF. Let’s face it, most probably didn’t play UT.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Trexobc.8542

The capture the flag map,could be in like a lava map or snow map! or a forest…any one else have some map idea’s!

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: Scambug.3502

Scambug.3502

Spirit Watch is already a CTF but I’m not against them making another one a little more like WoW’s.
Also why isn’t SW in the ranked map rotation? Sky Hammer and Courtyard I understand but SW?

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

I vote for a huttball style map.
It is kind of like CTF…except you have to runt he ball across your enemie’s goal line…and you can pass it to teammates/have it be intercepted.

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

It would be a disaster in this combat system.

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Really not a fan of CTF. I’ve seen it done two ways in GW2. The first is on spirit watch and that is just an unbalanced mess between the classes.

The second is the wintersday CTF event. In that event, it is balanced, but you don’t get to use anything related to your profession. I don’t enjoy it.

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Runiir.6425

Really not a fan of CTF. I’ve seen it done two ways in GW2. The first is on spirit watch and that is just an unbalanced mess between the classes.

The second is the wintersday CTF event. In that event, it is balanced, but you don’t get to use anything related to your profession. I don’t enjoy it.

The classes are NOT supposed to be balanced, your class and build determines your job. Suddenly you need a bunker to carry the flag, anything squishy won’t do. A squishy assisting by granting speed tot he bunker is how you help.
It actually creates needs for different builds.

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

CTF like WoW’s Warsong Gulch would be pretty darn fun in GW2. It’s only like one of the, if not the most popular BG’s in that other game. A capture the flag mode would definitely broaden build variety & viability of some classes & builds that aren’t currently popular.

Would there be balance issues? Yes, but let’s not pretend there aren’t balance issues right now or soon when HoT launches. There would need to be mechanics in place that maybe GW2 isn’t currently utilizing, things like flag carriers need to be made so movement/leap effects are limited, while other skills like invulns & stealth will need to be disabled completely when carrying the flag.

It’d showcase teamwork and individual heroism in a much more clear way that audience can understand. Which in turn may boost esport popularity because one of the main complaints from viewers is that they just don’t understand what’s going on. All of a sudden you get to focus on the flag carriers so the camera won’t be jumping 3 times every 5 second. It’d be a much more pleasant viewing experience.

Another BG-type from that other game I think will work very well in GW2’s combat style is Temple of Kotmogu. If you’ve played it before, you probably didn’t enjoy it in that other game. But I think with GW2’s fast action combat, it’d be a great arena mode that focus on brawls more than mobility.

(edited by gavyne.6847)

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

So, you want something like WoWs Warsong Gulch?
It would be a bit odd with the combat system but I guess it would be interesting to see how they implement it.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Runiir.6425

Hell a map that forced you into tight places to fight could be interesting, negating mobility builds entirely in various sections of the map (that you HAVE to go into/through) would be great. As, again, it creates new builds and current meta builds get destroyed as half of them rely upon mobility.

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

GW2’s combat system can totally support a ctf map.

Concerns about certain abilities being OP in the gametype can easily be rectified by simply doing what SW:TOR’s Huttball does, where using certain abilities while carrying the ball - namely teleports, stealth, and Force Barrier* - cause the ball to be reset at it’s starting position at mid. This actually adds a level of skill too since there are times where resetting the ball is beneficial vs trying to keep it.
*Barrier being that game’s only true invuln skill.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: Jayce.5632

Jayce.5632

Capture The Flag

Win Conditions:

*Capture 7/7 Enemy Flags (Includes 1 Hard Flag or flag located closest to spawn )
*Most Flags Captured When Timer Expires
*Most Flags Saved > Capture Draw
*Most Kills > Save Draw > Capture Draw

p.s. Map terrain and thoughtful flag placement makes all the difference. Can provide more details to the above if necessary.

Last Known Guild Wars 2 CTF Concept Phase

p.s.s Some skill and game mechanics function differently in CTF.
*There is a 3 second channel (interrupted on damage) to pick up or save a flag.
*Only hard movement CC (excluding stun or daze) causes flag drops.
*All leaps, rushes, etc. requires an enemy player target while holding a flag.
*Teleports, invulnerability and stealth will drop flag if used while holding a flag.

i7-6700K – M.2 PCIe 512GB R/W:2500/1500MB/s
GTX 980M – SSD 512GB R/W:550/520MB/s
17.3" 1080p – 32GB 2400MHz DDR4

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Also why isn’t SW in the ranked map rotation? Sky Hammer and Courtyard I understand but SW?

Spirit Watch is the worst conquest map by far (much worse than Skyhammer). It’s rightly relegated to unranked play. Just the node structure is poor (lack of LoS or too much LoS, teleports and range damage are extremely powerful). The orb mechanic makes it that much worse. A defensive build with a leap or superspeed (like shoutbow) can score the orb without being stopped except by an overwhelming force of enemy players (which means they lose the nodes). Further, the orb just helps the team with an advantage get further ahead and maintain their lead, instead of acting as a mechanic to turn the tide.

Capture the Flag in general is a bad system for MMOs. Even if you create a myriad of special rules for flag carriers, there will always be some build which is best at it. Using the spirit watch orb as an example, you drop it on teleport, but not leap. Orb negates swiftness, but not super speed. Stealth and immunity drop it, but not evade or block. That instantly favors a flag carrier like warrior or engineer. Meanwhile, the rules become ever more convoluted, which is bad for attracting new players.

Capture the Flag also has problems with stalemating. If both sides grab the flag and run back to their base (since it’s hard to kill the flag carrier en route), it comes down to boring stalemates where teams pile defensive cooldown on the flag carrier and whoever’s carrier is burst down first by a lot of instant-cast or stealth openers loses.

MMORPG PvP works best when you have an option besides out-right killing a player (usually CC or avoiding them for an alternate objective). For example, in conquest, you can push a player off a node and de-cap it; you don’t have to kill that player.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Capture the flag Anet?

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Try killing a double shortbow sentinel amulet perma evasion daredevil with the flag supported by a bunker guard or shoutbow. Sounds fun. /s