Carry-potential ranking

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Zoose made a list about this but things may have changed ever since, so I’d like to know your opinions. And here are my thoughts as starters:

Mesmer, necro and engie are excluded from my list as I dont play those classes at all.

1. Thief: but ONLY if the match is somewhat close and your team only need a little push here and there. Thief is best because of its great mobility it can deliver those little packages of additional help very quickly almost regardless of where these events take place on the map.

2. Rev: less mobile than thief, but can go into many more 1v1 without being a disadvantage to the team. Also much more durable in teamfights, decent rezzing cabability. So when things get more rough it outperforms thief.

3. Druid/ele: they have roughly the same potential. Ele can support better in a teamfight, but druid has a chance to actually kill something in a 1v1. But overall they both are only situationally good. Because they need other players to deal damage for them. Killing some1 in a 1v1 with ele means you outplayed them by a lot. But this rarely happens.

4. Warri/guard: even more situational than druid and ele. They are slow, so they shouldnt even try to keep up with thieves, mesmers or revs when it comes to decapping and stuff. And they are only good for team fights if the enemy team do not have healer(s) either. In my experience (may only be the case because of my low rating) – 2 warrs and 1 guard vs an ele, a war and a guard will mostly lose. So guard and war needs to have mobility and support in their teams before they can be really effective, thats why I rank them last.

/discuss

enthusiastic noob

(edited by Nimrud.5642)

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: vove.2768

vove.2768

I would say the one and only profession that has potential of carrying the entire game solo is thief thanks to his mobility. You totally ignore any teamfights and just jump around stealing capture points, but even if you are godlike this still doesn’t assure win.

Rest of the professions cannot carry solo as even if you are gosu you won’t survive on your own if the enemy team has any brain and uses it.

In case where you play against a bunch of total newbies who have no idea about the game, its mechanics and pvp it doesn’t matter, you can carry with anything.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

I disagree with a lot of things here.

First of all, it’s impossible to rate best carry classes since it depends heavily on team composition (both yours and enemy). For example thief becomes a lot harder to carry with if the whole enemy team are tanky, compared to having easy targets that you can quickly +1 and kill in a few seconds.

Second of all, I would say that the two hardest classes to carry with (assuming meta builds for each class) are ele and necro. These are the two classes that depends heavily on your teammates being good, although for different reasons. For necro, you rely heavily on team support since you are the most vulnerable target in any team fight among all the meta classes. For ele, you rely on your teammates both to kill players and to rotate well. If your team zergs around as a 5 man group, there’s not really much you can do about it.

Then there’s your bottom ranking for warrior, which I disagree with. Someone playing the meta zerker gs warrior and is proficient at it will be able to win most 1v1 matchups, more importantly they can be won quickly. Greatsword also gives great mobility for +1ing and disengaging, it’s often possible to kite two players around if their skill level is lower than yours (which I assume is the case if we’re talking about carrying).

I don’t understand why you ranked thief as top when you even said yourself “ONLY if the match is somewhat close and your team only need a little push here and there”.

I can’t tell you the best carry class because I suck at all of them, but I would say that three of the top carry classes right now are engi, mesmer and warrior. But only if you have mastered the class and know how to kite and rotate. All three of these are able to win many 1v1 matchups if you’re proficient at the class, all of these can kite 2 people around and allow your team to outnumber the rest of the map. Theoretically the best way to carry is to force the enemy team to constantly 2v1 (or even 3v1) you and give your team the numbers advantage across the rest of the map. You’ll be able to force them to 2v1 you if they all die to you 1v1, particularly if they die quickly (e.g. zerker warrior).

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

(edited by Random Weird Guy.3528)

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

I disagree with a lot of things here.

First of all, it’s impossible to rate best carry classes since it depends heavily on team composition (both yours and enemy). For example thief becomes a lot harder to carry with if the whole enemy team are tanky, compared to having easy targets that you can quickly +1 and kill in a few seconds.

Second of all, I would say that the two hardest classes to carry with (assuming meta builds for each class) are ele and necro. These are the two classes that depends heavily on your teammates being good, although for different reasons. For necro, you rely heavily on team support since you are the most vulnerable target in any team fight among all the meta classes. For ele, you rely on your teammates both to kill players and to rotate well. If your team zergs around as a 5 man group, there’s not really much you can do about it.

Then there’s your bottom ranking for warrior, which I disagree with. Someone playing the meta zerker warrior and is proficient at it will be able to win most 1v1 matchups, more importantly they can be won quickly. Greatsword also gives great mobility for +1ing and disengaging, it’s often possible to kite two players around if their skill level is lower than yours (which I assume is the case if we’re talking about carrying).

I don’t understand why you ranked thief as top when you even said yourself “ONLY if the match is somewhat close and your team only need a little push here and there”.

I can’t tell you the best carry class because I’m not proficient at all of them, but I would say that three of the top carry classes right now are engi, mesmer and warrior. But only if you have mastered the class and know how to kite and rotate. All three of these are able to win many 1v1 matchups if you’re proficient at the class, all of these can kite 2 people around and allow your team to outnumber the rest of the map. Theoretically the best way to carry is to force the enemy team to constantly 2v1 (or even 3v1) you and give your team the numbers advantage across the rest of the map. You’ll be able to force them to 2v1 you if they all die to you 1v1, particularly if they die quickly (e.g. zerker warrior).

ez, if “carrying” is somewhat posible i most call this be the MVP the one that makes the diference than “carrying” the 4 players in your team,
in low-mid levels, thief, ele, druid
-thief doing the thief job well decaping negating the point source for the other team or forcing one of the players to camp close showing you frequently at point delivering 2 3 hits and running quickly to big teamfight to +1 , most thieves in low-mid levels thinked they are some sort of offroad bandits and only wait for players going to a point to duel outpoint(the tipicall that call names when other partner of you apears and oneshots them)
-ele, druid or someother big reliable bunker taking far and holding it the many time posible in a constant 2,3 v1 low-mid level players tend to priorize having close before to get the other points and dont ignore you and go to fight to the others 2 points.

teamfighters have more dificult to be the mvp/carrier unless the other teams wass totally clueless and dont reallize who is killing them with extreme facility while the other enemies are mere “distractions”

(edited by megilandil.7506)

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: sexuallegend.2153

sexuallegend.2153

okay first off OP, the top rank belongs to druid hands down. I can tell you aren’t incredibly proficient with the class at all. there isn’t one class that can counter dodge druid, which is my unique build and personally what I view as the meta build for druids. super high dmg warrior? no problem, just evade everything. condi shredder theif? cool just dodge and cleanse everything. condi mesmer with moa? cool just dodge and cleanse. high dmg thief? cool just dodge and heal everything.

Insane heals, high pet dmg, some of the highest possible mobility, second most stealth in the game….need I say more? lmao. the only weakness this build has is 1v4 combat or 1v3 vs good players.

Shadow, the Legend Myth
(Shadow the Jedi, An Arrogant Samurai, The Legend Myth, One Of The Avengers)
Best Player Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpC1yIGFB0

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Ele is terrible for carrying as you’re very dependant on your allies not being completely moronic and running from you or telling you to cap a point as they all run into 2 necrosis and an ele to die.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

okay first off OP, the top rank belongs to druid hands down. I can tell you aren’t incredibly proficient with the class at all. there isn’t one class that can counter dodge druid, which is my unique build and personally what I view as the meta build for druids. super high dmg warrior? no problem, just evade everything. condi shredder theif? cool just dodge and cleanse everything. condi mesmer with moa? cool just dodge and cleanse. high dmg thief? cool just dodge and heal everything.

Insane heals, high pet dmg, some of the highest possible mobility, second most stealth in the game….need I say more? lmao. the only weakness this build has is 1v4 combat or 1v3 vs good players.

Very important message here guys, plz pay attention.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

Ele is terrible for carrying as you’re very dependant on your allies not being completely moronic and running from you or telling you to cap a point as they all run into 2 necrosis and an ele to die.

ele if you dont go to suport role you go to bunker point in and 2/3 v1, or team is half decent is one good MVP/carrier

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Yeah, but what’s a Dodge Druid? Is that like a Chevy Guardian?

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

For me its really 4 classes.

Its thief/mesmer/druid and Dh.

Warriors strengths comes for short period of times on power. So sustained fights become a weakness. For instance getting into a 1 vs 1 that you win and someone else comes running at you, stances are on CD for 60 and playing marauder/beserker ammy your gonna go down fast.

Ele cant carry because a lack of damage and speed. Ive even seen many eles in gold and plat lose 1 vs 1. Your running into people who are running meta classes to climb but dont know how to face certain builds. Today i almost quit when i saw a ele lose 1 vs 1 to a necro and then he lost 1 vs 1 to a warrior. You dont need more then 2 eles so this its situation.

Rev simply lacks condi sustain and damage. It now takes them too long to win fights to have a huge impact on a game and they can be bursted down easily.

Engy is in a odd spot now, its all around good right but not special and with players like five gauge and OE among a few others who were the Apex not playing now. I actually rarely see Engy in NA.

Necros need other classes to give support/boons/ etc etc. Of course the best necros can carry but you only have 2-3 necros from each side of the leader board who can do that.

So why can thieves, mesmers, druids and DH carry better. Simply put they can do multiple things better. Thief has crazy damage and speed. The ability to be in fights and then leave them allows good thieves do wreck. This is also due to solo/duo que. Cant call out eyes on his placement.

Mesmer can sustain 1 vs 2, do damage and has great mobilty with portals.

Druids again have great mobilty, the ability to win 1 vs 1 vs anyone and then give team support with the best rez in the game.

Dh once again can do everything, its why you see it stacked. Team heals, team condi cleanses and has point control with traps. I mean 3 classes really have great rezzing abilities and its engy, ranger and DH. That F3 skill with potential traps.

I have seen teams wipe because a Dh ran in pop traps and then bounce them out on the revive trait shield. Or simply using there shield either way the DH has no real weaknesses. It has good CD with blocks and high damage.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

Pretty outdated list.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Tbh your comparison makes no sense m8. Clearly a Mitsubishi Mesmer is much more accurate.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: sexuallegend.2153

sexuallegend.2153

Dodge Druid is a druid with insane heals (obvious), coupled with unmatchable evasion (more than daredevil) and condi cleanse

Shadow, the Legend Myth
(Shadow the Jedi, An Arrogant Samurai, The Legend Myth, One Of The Avengers)
Best Player Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpC1yIGFB0

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Blackjack.5621

Blackjack.5621

Just look at the top10 of Eu , all mesmer/thief duos of the top teams in there, easy to tell what the strongest carry classes are.

The more defensive your class is, the less you can carry. Support will only be as useful as the teammates they support. So in general its better to carry on a DPS class and best on a DPS class that controls rotation aswell.

S tier: DPS with rotation (Mesmer/Thief)
A tier: DPS without rotation and duelists trolling 1v2s (Warrior DH Necro / Eng Druid)
B tier: support, no rotation, no 1v1 potential (Ele) and overnerfed Revenant between A and B

ofc in A tier warrior is closer towards S while necro heavily relies on support and drops to B without support.

Most accurate list you will find here. It´s not a balance list, it´s a list of the carrying potential of the classes.

I Zapdos I
WTS Boston winner
Esl profile: http://play.eslgaming.com/player/7930634/

(edited by Blackjack.5621)

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Just look at the top10 of Eu , all mesmer/thief duos of the top teams in there, easy to tell what the strongest carry classes are.

The more defensive your class is, the less you can carry. Support will only be as useful as the teammates they support. So in general its better to carry on a DPS class and best on a DPS class that controls rotation aswell.

S tier: DPS with rotation (Mesmer/Thief)
A tier: DPS without rotation and duelists trolling 1v2s (Warrior DH Necro / Eng Druid)
B tier: support, no rotation, no 1v1 potential (Ele) and overnerfed Revenant between A and B

ofc in A tier warrior is closer towards S while necro heavily relies on support and drops to B without support.

Most accurate list you will find here. It´s not a balance list, it´s a list of the carrying potential of the classes.

That is just about right, tbh, although even the best “carry” can be nullified with the right comp.

And to add to the support ele being a good carry: there are many great support eles (like Denshee) who are unable to climb frequently while playing ele because they can’t get a team that plays their role effectively. On ele, you can’t really make up for bad team-mate rotations like you can with mesmer/thief or the other classes b/c you have the lowest-end mobility. Your team can force you into terrible rotations that completely nullify any strength you bring to the table, make your support worthless by just instadying, or be unable to capitalize on the extra health you give them b/c they don’t effectively deal dps.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

Against players who will continue to 2v1 a player they will take forever to kill or cap the point against, druid is by far the best carry because it survives 1v2 better than any other class. And against truly bad players, it has the dps to win 1v2s as well.

Against good players I think Mesmer would be the best carry because it has great rotation potential with portal and can win teamfights with correctly timed moas. It is also very strong 1v1 against most classes.

To be honest though, a good player can carry on any class. I see most people here say that ele is not a good carry at all, but this season I have seen Lord Asura carry games on ele extremely hard. It was literally impossible to win unless you forced him into a 1v1. This really shows any class can carry with enough skill.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Against players who will continue to 2v1 a player they will take forever to kill or cap the point against, druid is by far the best carry because it survives 1v2 better than any other class. And against truly bad players, it has the dps to win 1v2s as well.

Against good players I think Mesmer would be the best carry because it has great rotation potential with portal and can win teamfights with correctly timed moas. It is also very strong 1v1 against most classes.

To be honest though, a good player can carry on any class. I see most people here say that ele is not a good carry at all, but this season I have seen Lord Asura carry games on ele extremely hard. It was literally impossible to win unless you forced him into a 1v1. This really shows any class can carry with enough skill.

thats not a carry though, if he is in a 1vs 1. He shouldnt be able to kill anyone therefore he needs his team mates to win the other fights.

If you watched kitty kitty meow meow, there were many times he had portal down left the team fight because he would say ohhh they should win a 3 vs 2. They wouldnt and literally portal back in 10 sec kill someone/rez someone and take the portal again to engage a 1 vs 1 he can win.

What you are suggesting is a ele very hard to kill but all it takes is a team saying avoid the ele or trap it in a 1 vs 1 and we can take the other points.

There are many ele players who are well above average but because they play a heal bot, alot of what happens in a match isnt about them.

For instance in a unranked match ( i was going for a daily) this engy and rev both ran straight into mid when you could clearly see the 2 DH’s on the other team drop traps on the point.

I was playing necro and they both died before me, i ran back home. The theif on my team went for beast and it got stolen at the start. We came back to win this but the start was like 150-30. I would not have been able to win this match on ele. I was able to kill 2 people off point with my necro. I then ran to there far to hold a decap while my team engaged the 4 vs 2 which they did and won.

The word carry is a very strong word and to me can not be used in terms with a ele with is inability to affect games in multiple ways. It is great at 1-2 things. The “carry classes” are great at 4-5 things.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Mesmer/thief carry hardest. That is the best duo queue too. They are mobile classes and are the best classes currently too. They snowball the map so hard too.

1, Thief
2, Mesmer
3, Warrior
4, Engineer
5, ranger
6, Guardian
7/8/9, Rev, ele and necro – too limited or slow.

Mesmer/thief/warrior can do so much to impact a game. They are also, imo, the current 3 overpowered classes.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Xca.9721

Xca.9721

I would say it also depends on which division you are playing. In lower tiers you can´t rely on your team at all, and playing thief is really horrible there since you can´t hold points. So I switched to warrior which made me able to carry much more.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Pretty outdated list.

Pretty much.

The most valuable tools to carry matches are probably mobility, disengage potential and capability to burst, in which Thief and Mesmers shine. If anyone disagrees then should take a look at Sindrener or Helseth.

Revenat currently is in disadvantage in most of 1 vs 1 and only has value as a +1, but even then has less mobility than Thief and no access to stealth.

Other classes can be critical pillars due their sustain, support or cc, but as strong as you are in AoE damage as a Necro or as healers as Ele or Ranger you can’t move as fast as a Thief or Mesmer, so fixing the holes in the gameplay of your team isn’t as easy.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Burn guard carries up to t1 gold the hardest of any. Massive team fight damage that they aren’t skilled enough to get off. You’ll wipe their team at mid in record time.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

It honestly depends on what tier of play you’re in. In low tier games, people can’t stay alive for the life of them and high sustain, high damage team fighters carry the day. I’d much rather shamble mid on a warrior, guard, or necro and cleave everyone down with AoE because they’re bad, then win a simple, predictable match than try to create pressure with a thief.

It’s at higher tier games, where people don’t just die within 10 seconds of a fight starting, that classes like thief or mesmer start to shine – that’s where you need to create mismatches and push people out of position to win, which thief and mesmer excel at.

Plus, if you genuinely belong in bronze / silver the skills needed to yoyo and force bad match-ups on a thief or mesmer are going to be a lot harder to master, and less fruitful in the short run, than learning how to not die on a warrior or guardian and using one of those two sledgehammers to piledrive the trash on the other team. Low end players don’t have small windows of opportunity to capitalize on, they’re wide open doors of failure. Drive the biggest truck you can through it.

(edited by Ensign.2189)

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Mesmer/thief carry hardest. That is the best duo queue too. They are mobile classes and are the best classes currently too. They snowball the map so hard too.

1, Thief
2, Mesmer
3, Warrior
4, Engineer
5, ranger
6, Guardian
7/8/9, Rev, ele and necro – too limited or slow.

Mesmer/thief/warrior can do so much to impact a game. They are also, imo, the current 3 overpowered classes.

I agree to this. At least if you paly meta builds. Engi and druid might swap places but thats minor. Warrior has carry potential. I sometimes use a “Nike” burst warrior so i can rotate fast and kill glass builds in two hits. I won teamfights with it just by using GS. I traited stregth and arch divider traited with lower CD in zerk is awesome and i get +30% damage from stregth after the burst.
I main ele and agree carriing if you team is bad at rotating and especially feeding is pretty hard. I don´t use meta ele so i can kill and this is better …

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I gotta say I laughed out loud to this one.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

Dodge Druid is a druid with insane heals (obvious), coupled with unmatchable evasion (more than daredevil) and condi cleanse

Link the build yo!

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Nickzor.2453

Nickzor.2453

Your comments get funnier every time lol. Its like….. you’re on another planet…

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

It honestly depends on what tier of play you’re in. In low tier games, people can’t stay alive for the life of them and high sustain, high damage team fighters carry the day. I’d much rather shamble mid on a warrior, guard, or necro and cleave everyone down with AoE because they’re bad, then win a simple, predictable match than try to create pressure with a thief.

It’s at higher tier games, where people don’t just die within 10 seconds of a fight starting, that classes like thief or mesmer start to shine – that’s where you need to create mismatches and push people out of position to win, which thief and mesmer excel at.

Plus, if you genuinely belong in bronze / silver the skills needed to yoyo and force bad match-ups on a thief or mesmer are going to be a lot harder to master, and less fruitful in the short run, than learning how to not die on a warrior or guardian and using one of those two sledgehammers to piledrive the trash on the other team. Low end players don’t have small windows of opportunity to capitalize on, they’re wide open doors of failure. Drive the biggest truck you can through it.

Word! Laughed so hard, because its true.

enthusiastic noob

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Like everyone has said, ele is the worst class to try and carry. Because you’re entirely dependent on your team, can’t and shouldn’t take 1v1s and have very limited mobility.

I would rank:
1. Thief
2. Mesmer
3. Engi
4. Guard/Warrior/Rev/Ranger
5. Necro
6. Ele

So basically you need high mobility, high burst damage, ability to 1v1/hold a point to carry.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Carry-potential ranking

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I think people over-value an Engineer’s ability to carry. Maybe it’s just because I’m better on my Druid, but on Druid I can move from point to point faster, support better, res and stomp players better, and can put out more offensive pressure.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds