Caught in the win / lose rut

in PvP

Posted by: Mooge.2346

Mooge.2346

I’m looking for tips if anyone has them. I’m playing support (Tempest / Guardian) and I do okay. I cap, I heal, I hit map objectives, I place well and generally get at least 3 top stats.

I am stuck in a rut of winning only slightly more matches than I lose. I’m still performing but it is like night and day on the team composition.

One match we’ll have a decent mix, communicate, form a plan and follow it and generally win. Next match we’ll get 2-3 glass cannons, nobody wants to work together or the plan is just outright ignored along with capping points.

Match maker seems to be a real gamble and in gambling terms how do I sidestep the losing streaks? Is there a key like wait x minutes between matches? switch class every third match while standing on one foot?

in PvP

Posted by: Kokoro.8437

Kokoro.8437

right now it IS a gamble, mostly because the game is dead.

dead game means no population → trash matchmaking.

Miyoshinono, Yama no Akikaze Sayofukete, Furusato Samuku, Koromo Utsu Nari.

in PvP

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Duo or die.

You cannot heal yourself to victory without a cooperative team. It’s the same with me playing power boon strip necro. Doesn’t matter if I strip boons if my team won’t focus target.

in PvP

Posted by: skoobydoo.9246

skoobydoo.9246

General rule in pretty much every PvP game support solo queue can do as much as rest of his team let him.you almost never will carry a game.i had same problem when i start this season was playing very team oriented necro spec.since i change into full dmg solo spec and stop care about my team and focus on my game only i start winning way way more then losing.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

same last season me playing ele. Regardless how good i play i can only maitain about 55% overal win rate in silver. Playing high gold or with platin gave me only victories due to people actually knowing to play. You propably won´t belive it if you are bronze or silver but people actualy had position awareness and dodged in my direction geting the full heal ….

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

After pvp’ing in this game for years i came to conclusion (based on my observations) that you reach 50% winrate when you can’t win 1v2/preferably 1v3s anymore and actually have to rely on team being decent, in short you can’t hardcarry anymore.
If you want higher win rate you need to be able to basically solo (duo if possible) enemy team.

This season i (like many other as well) ended up somehow in low gold/silver after placements (which is by far below my old rating), i finally grinded my way to plat but my observations weren’t wrong. As long as i was able to win 1v3, 1v2 fights, i maintained nearly 100% win rate (solo), the moment i queued vs teams that consisted of more experienced/skilled players (top 250) i was at mercy of my teammates not instantly wipe in 4v3/4v4 situations and i ended up losing quite few matches with abysmal scores like 500-80. It still somehow blows my mind that MM considers such matches fair and even and requires me to basically solo (half of) enemy team if i want to actually win/have close match.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

This. At the moment you can´t 1:2 you start to be at the mercy of your team significantly more. You can hold a positive rate with good rotation and winning 1:1 but this will make the 55 – 60% win rate not something to climb fast to the spot where you actually belong. It becomes a grind. And not being able to 1:2 is normal. Builds decide a lot here. You have to be superior to beat 1:2. A platin player will loose a lot of 1:2 in silver. In rare cases i can 1:3 but it fully depends on oponets classes/builds too. If theres a necro/mesmer/warrior i usualy have no chance to 1:2 such a composition unless they are terribad …
Another strory from last season. As written i got stuck in silver with my ele. I asked a platin player to due. He said i sould duel him first so he knows if i am actually useful.
I dueld his engi with my ele…. I won the duel… He decided not to play with me due to the fact i don´t play meta build ^^.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Oh and how about when you do 1v2 but your team still doesnt manage to take another point…

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

happens…. I can stall on a point 1:2 but still loose terribad … But this is uncommon in primetime.

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

technically if it really was all working ideally, when you hit your proper place you’d also get a roughly 50/50 rut. Ironically people just don’t like that much though its the goal of the system Sorta funny really.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

technically if it really was all working ideally, when you hit your proper place you’d also get a roughly 50/50 rut. Ironically people just don’t like that much though its the goal of the system Sorta funny really.

technically if it really was all working ideally, you also wouldn’t be sitting in 500-0 matches

Attachments:

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Well yes you could, because even it if the system was working ideally there could still be network drops where one team lost all but one of its players.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

Well yes you could, because even it if the system was working ideally there could still be network drops where one team lost all but one of its players.

That had happened to me like 1 time in almost 4 years…. the 500-0 matches happened way more frequently tho.

All is Vain~

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

Tempest is only mandatory in teams with necro/rev.

So if really you want carry you need to go duo necro/rev.

Also support guardian is not viable.

If you want more influence on matches and still be supportive go druid/scrapper. But first do some duels to get into their mechanics.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Mooge.2346

Thanks for the tips. I tried my hand at Scrapper and the losses are getting closer but there are still losses. Even teaming with a mate we will get a good win streak but then start seeing the same clowns that consistently throw matches. I can only carry a bad team to a point.

I can look at the names in my team at the start and tell my mate “X will get killed in the first minute then probably blame Y. Y will get into a slanging match and we’ll be effectively 2 players down while they rage. Z, who is running into the wall will probably still be running into the same wall for the first two minutes”. Then it plays out exactly like that. There are just too few people playing if I can get to know a bunch of random matches that well and see them day after day.

I’d like to see Random Arena and Team Arena back from GW1 but right now I’d settle for flagging certain players as “never team me with this person again even if I have to wait 15 minutes for a match”.

in PvP

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

Thief and mesmer imo are what you might want to consider learning they have the ability to change games or keep those allies that wipes instantly in teamfights. Prob the key thing to thief and mesmer is they have the tools to play objectively at a fast rate thanks to their amazing mobility on top of that both are some of the best 1v1 class/builds atm. On the other hand they’re aren’t faceroll and takes a good one to have that effect on a game but it’s clear as day when a good thief or mesmer is on you team or the enemy team.

in PvP

skoobydoo.9246

Thief and mesmer imo are what you might want to consider learning they have the ability to change games or keep those allies that wipes instantly in teamfights. Prob the key thing to thief and mesmer is they have the tools to play objectively at a fast rate thanks to their amazing mobility on top of that both are some of the best 1v1 class/builds atm. On the other hand they’re aren’t faceroll and takes a good one to have that effect on a game but it’s clear as day when a good thief or mesmer is on you team or the enemy team.

i am sorry but no.low and mid rating thief is trash.you need to be really good as thief and your whole team need to adjust to the fact you are a thief so the class can work.and ofc in solo queue that will never happen and you will feel kitten as thief and everyone else will blame you for the games.all you do is run away,decap and 2v1.rest of the game your whole team feel like they play 5v4.there is a reason everyone hate thief and they dont want them in the team,atleast untill you reach some high rating when players start to understand wtf they do when you have thief with you.
and what do you mean one of the best 1v1 .go face guardian or warrior as thief…i wish you good luck

(edited by skoobydoo.9246)

in PvP

Mr Godlike.6098

Thanks for the tips. I tried my hand at Scrapper and the losses are getting closer but there are still losses. Even teaming with a mate we will get a good win streak but then start seeing the same clowns that consistently throw matches. I can only carry a bad team to a point.

I can look at the names in my team at the start and tell my mate “X will get killed in the first minute then probably blame Y. Y will get into a slanging match and we’ll be effectively 2 players down while they rage. Z, who is running into the wall will probably still be running into the same wall for the first two minutes”. Then it plays out exactly like that. There are just too few people playing if I can get to know a bunch of random matches that well and see them day after day.

I’d like to see Random Arena and Team Arena back from GW1 but right now I’d settle for flagging certain players as “never team me with this person again even if I have to wait 15 minutes for a match”.

Don’t expect that you will be effective because you changed class. Like I said you first need to get into the mechanics to do your role.

As scrapper can you:
1.Insta power rez necro with sthealth and ress/stomp gyro necro?
2. Win against mesmers, Dh, macebow – classes that you supposed to counter in 1v1.
3.Push far, get yourself outnumbered (without dying), survive getting +1 by thief so you let rest of your team easier outnumber other 2 nodes?

Duel a lot , go unranked practice getting outnumbered, watch some good scrappers on twitch.

I don’t play scrapper myself so for better tips go on engi forum. I myself use macebow, bunker s/d druid and healbot ele.

Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Mooge.2346

To the questions above, 1 & 2 yes, 3 sometimes.

I gave up on trying to rank up. I started playing for the loot. I decided to go way back to my roots. In GW1 I was a Monk in Random, Team and HoH. I jumped onto my Druid. A class I had overlooked as someone above sagely pointed out a support class cannot carry a bad team.

I played as consistently as ever but all the old healer instincts are there. 12 straight wins, rut climbed out of. Even in some of the worst class stacking scenarios we pulled through. It was a good day.

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

I stick to ele but i use sage amulet which adds the damage needed. Still hard to get a win rate that moves me up fast. I won´t mind if i am in the right place but after playing higher i know i am not …. I had better and more successful (even no loss) matches 1-2 divisions higher then in silver… It feels like RNG where my skill just pushes the winrate a bit over 50%. You need to play somethign like thief or mesmer at a very high skill to march through the divisions. If you main another class or are not kind of platin to legend player you are at the mercy of the system and your teammates. And that is one reason why people get frustrated and leave.
And yes it´s my fault due to not multiclassing.(Or more not in the mood of doing it often …). Stopped to care because i also hate placement system.

in PvP

skoobydoo.9246

I stick to ele but i use sage amulet which adds the damage needed. Still hard to get a win rate that moves me up fast. I won´t mind if i am in the right place but after playing higher i know i am not …. I had better and more successful (even no loss) matches 1-2 divisions higher then in silver… It feels like RNG where my skill just pushes the winrate a bit over 50%. You need to play somethign like thief or mesmer at a very high skill to march through the divisions. If you main another class or are not kind of platin to legend player you are at the mercy of the system and your teammates. And that is one reason why people get frustrated and leave.
And yes it´s my fault due to not multiclassing.(Or more not in the mood of doing it often …). Stopped to care because i also hate placement system.

everyone above told you if you wanna carry in solo queue you have to go dmg class and what you did? replace support guardian with elementalist…the most support class in the game……….how about you go power necro axe/warhorn + GS full dmg 0 support build and just fly away from silver in less then a day?Or power warrior,you know simple classes that can easy solo 4 people if they not very good.and at silver people are not very good

(edited by skoobydoo.9246)

in PvP

Mr Godlike.6098

To the questions above, 1 & 2 yes, 3 sometimes.

I gave up on trying to rank up. I started playing for the loot. I decided to go way back to my roots. In GW1 I was a Monk in Random, Team and HoH. I jumped onto my Druid. A class I had overlooked as someone above sagely pointed out a support class cannot carry a bad team.

I played as consistently as ever but all the old healer instincts are there. 12 straight wins, rut climbed out of. Even in some of the worst class stacking scenarios we pulled through. It was a good day.

Good for you!

Druid has more then healing
1. Good pets ( so you don’t need bow for damage)
2. Good roaming and disengage (staff and end celestial stealth + hyper speed)
3. Nice bunkering and options to hold 2 people on far[S/D setup] (so you can carry on your own if you know how kite).
4. You can counter some strong builds: chrono, gs berseker, DH.

As much as I love ele I can’t suggest going healbot simply because nobody really needs your heals in this meta besides (everything is tanky) rev/necro.

Sage healbot is kinda option – it has pressure in teamfights…and that’s it. Stay on druid just because is more flexible.

Lastly forget about loot – play to simply PLAY BETTER.

Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

What about top players who get about 80%+ winrate? I wish I could check out some more videos beside Helseth’s and some more variety instead of mesmer (who is one of the best to carry a match).
What is taken under consideration to understand why there is such a huge gap between majority of pvp community and top players? I do not see myself as top of the lead that is for sure, but I know that I play well enough and understand rotation in all its meaning to have more impact on the fight instead of praying that my team is not going to get outplayed (a.k.a one sided massacre).

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.