Character Locking and it's Problems in SoloQ!

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Character locking doesn’t happen until the game start countdown. You still have the ready time to switch. This decision was made specifically in consideration for solo queue. We can always move when character locking begins, but when the feature launches, it will happen at the countdown. This feature is intended mostly to stop exploits where people would switch characters for different skill setups or to reset cooldowns.

Personally, I think it should lock the second you get in there OR you shouldn’t be able to see what you are playing against until the game starts.

I agree there is still the problem of counter picking after joining a match. I’m sure we’ll find a middle ground with these issues.

I don’t think there really should be any type of counter picking at all. It just creates a cheesy kind of system in my opinion. You joined with this team and see their team so now you want to switch to a class that will counter their team? Sorry. Maybe your team should be more diverse in the first place. It is possible that if we didn’t have counter picking, it would significantly change the meta.

Nah, its about joining this team and trying to switch to a class to IMPROVE YOUR team. If counter picking is your source of trouble then the sugestions made address this case while still providing the team adjustament option

in PvP

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Character locking doesn’t happen until the game start countdown. You still have the ready time to switch. This decision was made specifically in consideration for solo queue. We can always move when character locking begins, but when the feature launches, it will happen at the countdown. This feature is intended mostly to stop exploits where people would switch characters for different skill setups or to reset cooldowns.

Personally, I think it should lock the second you get in there OR you shouldn’t be able to see what you are playing against until the game starts.

I agree there is still the problem of counter picking after joining a match. I’m sure we’ll find a middle ground with these issues.

Why go for the middle ground. The only way to ensure complete fairness is a double blind set up where professions are not revealed until the match begins, and classes are then locked at that point.

Agreed, the fact that you could even switch classes after seeing their team in this game was a major shock to me.

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

Why go for the middle ground. The only way to ensure complete fairness is a double blind set up where professions are not revealed until the match begins, and classes are then locked at that point.

Totally agree. This is weak.

in PvP

Posted by: JinDaVikk.7291

JinDaVikk.7291

Use Jax’s idea for able to change builds but unable to see enemy’s comp until the start. Then lock. Simple fix everyone is happy.

Team Radioactive
Crysis, Lil Damage, Ovi, Jindavikk, Guard
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

Lokittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittkittennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndrosicky.5813:

Why would people play bunker? It is the one thing I wouldnt play. You wont be able to do anything compared to dps.

If you consider tons of CC, great healing, reviving teamates and staying on point as ‘doing anything’, then yes, bunker’s are useless.

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.

in PvP

Posted by: White Wolf.3291

White Wolf.3291

The problem locking the second you get in there is when you get the 5 guardian support team or 5 berserker thieves team, it will be no fun to play in this matches and people will leave match, they will not resign because there no resign and they will probably stay there waiting for the game to end. An option to only see enemy professions after game starts will be better or you will only can use B when match ends, so the only way to see enemy professions would be only in battle and this is probably the easiest fix i guess. I think it doesn’t matter how many points are you doing at minute 12 in a rated match, the only thing it matters is winning the match.

(edited by White Wolf.3291)

in PvP

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

Great info thanks op and dev.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

in PvP

Posted by: rsq.3581

rsq.3581

The problem with being blind to the other team’s composition is that you can’t switch up your strategy to match the other team. Not even necessarily change your own composition or abilities but your splits; seeing certain classes on the other team should change your opener — this is an important facet of a game and should not be removed.

Salphir | Salfir | Falana
jo0 Binder

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

The problem with being blind to the other team’s composition is that you can’t switch up your strategy to match the other team. Not even necessarily change your own composition or abilities but your splits; seeing certain classes on the other team should change your opener — this is an important facet of a game and should not be removed.

Sorry, but it should be removed. Teams developed strategy in other MMOs without knowing what they were up against before the match started. They called out the strat after they figured out what the other team was.

Knowing what the other team is is completely unimportant, you are just used to it being there.

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Sorry, but it should be removed. Teams developed strategy in other MMOs without knowing what they were up against before the match started. They called out the strat after they figured out what the other team was.

Knowing what the other team is is completely unimportant, you are just used to it being there.

+1.

Why are people still discussing this? The obvious solution is to allow solo q to adjust their team, blind to the other team. Arguing against it is just, well, silly.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in PvP

rsq.3581

You know how kills starting at the beginning of the game through stealth are pretty lame? As in, getting instagibbed immediately with little counterplay?

Alright, now imagine that without having any clue that the other team has access to stealth. You couldn’t even preemptively position more defensively at a midfight, causing that to have the stealth opener to have even less counterplay.

That’s just one of the many reasons knowing the other team’s composition makes for more interesting games. I’m not saying I want a constantly rotating team comp — people changing every time the other team changes — I’m saying I want to be able to make an informed plan based on the other team’s comp. Do they seem to have a farpoint assaulter? A solid backpoint? Access to stealth at the start? That sort of thing.

jo0 Binder

in PvP

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

Seems like a good idea. Character lock and enemy team comp becomes visible at countdown. Make the countdown take 15-30s of pregame if people feel 10s isn’t enough to rearrange their split.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

(edited by Mammoth.1975)

in PvP

Posted by: Keks.1836

Keks.1836

Does this also include weapon and skill choices? As in, will Necros still be able to start matches with Life Force and Eles be able to give their team swiftness with staff before switching weapons?

The life force should be fixed, but the swiftness through other weapons should definitely stay as I think it provides a neat little strategy with some risk involved aswell if you happen to not swap out in time

Where is the difference? Swapping skills to get lifeforce is also a neat little strategy, with risks involved, as you start with useless utilities, if you don’t swap back in time.
In both cases you swap to get an adventage early on.
Either have both or none at all.

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

If your afraid someone will counter you, wait in the mists until the games starts and forces you in. Our team used to do that all the time, 1 would go in to scout the enemy, the rest would stay in mists, making the enemy team have to character change mid fight or res

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

You know how kills starting at the beginning of the game through stealth are pretty lame? As in, getting instagibbed immediately with little counterplay?

Alright, now imagine that without having any clue that the other team has access to stealth. You couldn’t even preemptively position more defensively at a midfight, causing that to have the stealth opener to have even less counterplay.

That’s just one of the many reasons knowing the other team’s composition makes for more interesting games. I’m not saying I want a constantly rotating team comp — people changing every time the other team changes — I’m saying I want to be able to make an informed plan based on the other team’s comp. Do they seem to have a farpoint assaulter? A solid backpoint? Access to stealth at the start? That sort of thing.

That is a stealth stacking and balance problem. Using it as an excuse for knowing what you are up against before the game starts is a little far fetched.

(edited by Ashanor.5319)

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

That is a stealth stacking and balanced problem. Using it as an excuse for knowing what you are up against before the game starts is a little far fetched.

Also, you will know they have a stealthier or 5 when the ready count down is over and the characters are locked

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

That is a stealth stacking and balanced problem. Using it as an excuse for knowing what you are up against before the game starts is a little far fetched.

Also, you will know they have a stealthier or 5 when the ready count down is over and the characters are locked

That too.

Game is now locked.
Press B
Teamspeak: They have blah blah blah, do this, do that, blah.

Hard.

in PvP

rsq.3581

Except that this is a thread about solo queue. I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to double blind in team queue. It’s just that it’s difficult to convey meaningful information to an unorganized group in 10 seconds when you aren’t voip’d. Giving players 10 seconds to form a strategy when there aren’t ingame mechanics such as ‘incoming!’ or ‘retreat/regroup!’ buttons makes for even more disorganized play than we currently have.

jo0 Binder

in PvP

Posted by: Lachanche.6859

Lachanche.6859

about time, i have seen teams switching characters during the match countless times.

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

Except that this is a thread about solo queue. I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to double blind in team queue. It’s just that it’s difficult to convey meaningful information to an unorganized group in 10 seconds when you aren’t voip’d. Giving players 10 seconds to form a strategy when there aren’t ingame mechanics such as ‘incoming!’ or ‘retreat/regroup!’ buttons makes for even more disorganized play than we currently have.

Alright, that is fair, but if you can see the team you shouldn’t be able to switch characters. It’s one or the other imo.

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

Simply hide character names and profession icons from the scoreboard until the countdown.

Crisis averted.

Or just disable the scoreboard completely until the countdown. Why is there a scoreboard before a match begins. There’s no need, and it’s incredibly annoying. Your teammates see a well-known opponent and instantly quit. Enemies see your team and swap team composition to counter you. So many problems arise from just the information being displayed on the scoreboard.

(edited by zone.1073)

in PvP

Posted by: LeGi.3921

LeGi.3921

Thanks for the clarification!

Does this also include weapon and skill choices? As in, will Necros still be able to start matches with Life Force and Eles be able to give their team swiftness with staff before switching weapons?

stacking swiftness through ele lightning field → switch to s/d should definitly stay.

We Are Extremly [ugly]

in PvP

Posted by: Phantaram.1265

Phantaram.1265

Well, I can’t say I like the fact that you can log out into whatever character you like before the game starts. People are going to be going crazy with character switching on skyhammer. I for one will be letting other people handle the nightmare that is the cannon room, I’ll be going for nodes.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Thanks for the clarification!

stacking swiftness through ele lightning field -> switch to s/d should definitly stay.

Why? It is lame and stupid.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: LeGi.3921

LeGi.3921

yeah adding speed to the game is stupid and lame. rrrrrrrright.

i start thinking the only thing you do is trolling.

We Are Extremly [ugly]

in PvP

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

Solution: Characters get locked upon entering the queue → Build templates are implemented → templates can be switched before the game starts → promotes variety (otherwise non-optimal builds see some play, because of necessity) → promotes balancing (developers are under pressure to bring up to standard non-meta builds on most classes)

/thread

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Solution: Characters get locked upon entering the queue -> Build templates are implemented -> templates can be switched before the game starts -> promotes variety (otherwise non-optimal builds see some play, because of necessity) -> promotes balancing (developers are under pressure to bring up to standard non-meta builds on most classes)

/thread

This thread was over 30 posts ago – the best option is to allow a team to use the 3m prior to a match to switch character and build a decent comp without seeing what the other team is doing. This will allow solo q to run well built teams without all the silly counter comp character switching. Your suggestion still allows for bad luck to stick you with bad class composition – as someone else said, why not reward players who can play more than 1 class effectively?

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.