'Cheesy builds' for newbies? :)

in PvP

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

So the honest truth is that I’m still playing my mesmer and thief, neither of which is close to being OP — at least at my skill level.

But I occasionally come across a player who can just camp a spot and basically is impossible to remove from it. Usually a necro or engineer. And, well, that seems like it would be fun to do sometimes also.

I’m really getting quite fed up with trying to play ‘normal’ characters when all I face are swarms of minions, warriors that never stop stunning me, guardians that can’t be touched, etc.

(edited by Qaelyn.7612)

in PvP

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

So the honest truth is that I’m still playing my mesmer and thief, neither of which is close to being OP — at least at my skill level.

But I occasionally come across a player who can just camp a spot and basically is impossible to remove from it. Usually a necro or engineer. And, well, that seems like it would be fun to do sometimes also.

I’m really getting quite fed up with trying to play ‘normal’ characters when all I face are swarms of minions, warriors that never stop stunning me, guardians that can’t be touched, etc.

mesmer is countered by condi, especially AoE condi so necro and engi counter makes sense. it doesn’t make them OP just based on that, but necro would be OP in this meta if it wasn’t for warrior.

P/D is just low damage troll build so it makes sense it can’t remove any bunker types.

If you can’t remove a class from a point, then move to next point.

All is vain.

(edited by Excalibur.9748)

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

make necro, equip scepter/staff, mash your face against keyboard

i actually did it, i killed ppl with spamming 1 alone lol

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

You make me angry.

Countless

in PvP

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

5 signet warrior,the trolling cheese

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

There is a place for easy, powerful builds. Let people play how they like. Some people don’t have twitch skill, or fast reaction time, but they are good at overall team strategy.

They should have a build that gives them reasonable ability.

All of these “cheese buildds” can be countered, if you think about it longer and look for the weakeness. All builds have one.

I hope you realize that nearly all of these cheese builds require absolutely no thought to team strategy right? They are called noob friendly for a reason. In fact, it’s one of the biggest problems with these builds.

S/D teef does not need to worry about positioning because it’s virtually impossible to get them to peel. Warrior need absolutely no team co-ordination to stunlock someone. Ranger just has to show up to a fight and press 1 to be effective. Necro just sits on a ledge, spams skills, and aoe bombs a point. No thought necessary or team co-ordination to the order of skills used, just spam skills.

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

…noob friendly…

…S/D teef does not need to worry about positioning because it’s virtually impossible to get them to peel.

I see that you’ve never played S/D before, or, at least, played one recently.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

…noob friendly…

…S/D teef does not need to worry about positioning because it’s virtually impossible to get them to peel.

what? he isn’t wrong lol even if not as easy as many other cheesy builds, s/d still is pretty easy and positioning doesn’t matter much. It’s probably the most skillful meta build atm, and that should tell you how ridiculous the meta is right now rofl

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

…noob friendly…

what? he isn’t wrong lol even if not as easy as many other cheesy builds, s/d still is pretty easy and positioning doesn’t matter much. It’s probably the most skillful meta build atm, and that should tell you how ridiculous the meta is right now rofl

I played my old S/D build in sPvP today and I got absolutely crushed. S/D is in no way meta.

And if you so that “positioning doesn’t matter much”, then you probably should’ve played it on the high end of tPvP back when it was good.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Chicago Jack.5647

S/D is in no way meta.

Lol, sure

S/D has single-handedly removed two professions from commonly being played in upper-level play.

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

S/D is in no way meta.

Lol, sure

S/D has single-handedly removed two professions from commonly being played in upper-level play.

No, it really hasn’t. Ele is bad for many, many other reasons beyond being “countered” by S/D (which hasn’t really countered anything since it got nerfed to only one boonsteal), and necro is still completely useable and is, in fact, one of our worst matchups. You’re completely delusional. There’s nothing for S/D to counter as far as necros go, except for making them have to spam marks slightly more carefully. Other than that, conditions completely eat S/D. There’s a reason why it’s rare to see a “true” S/D build nowadays

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

(edited by Arganthium.5638)

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

The thing about “team strategy” is that when I’m in solo Q matches there usually isn’t any anyway. That’s really why I want to try a character that’s strong enough to play independently.

in PvP

Chicago Jack.5647

You’re completely delusional.

Apparently Caith is completely delusional too.

[…]spam marks slightly more carefully.

Lol

Qaelyn,

Then play one of the myriad of broken builds out there and have fun for about 2 weeks. You’ll get bored of it eventually, we all have.

(edited by Chicago Jack.5647)

in PvP

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

just tried MM necro in tpvp and won consecutively. lol

this class is much easier than a spirit ranger, IMO. i’ve only played it in weeks and it’s doing an awesome job.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

MM #MasterRace

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Valentin.2073

Lol

Qaelyn,

Then play one of the myriad of broken builds out there and have fun for about 2 weeks. You’ll get bored of it eventually, we all have.

a strong build is always fun. playing a build that gets you beaten all the time is not fun at all. its frustrating.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

You can tell many people who PvP in this game would make terrible economists :P Economic law says people will always try to get the most benefit for the least amount of effort. This is true and there’s nothing wrong with this because its a natural human response. That said; because of this you will never kill effective easy builds because someone will always find a way to be effective, and amongst the effective builds, one will always be the easiest, and that’s where smart people will gravitate!

LOGIC!

in PvP

Valentin.2073

You can tell many people who PvP in this game would make terrible economists :P Economic law says people will always try to get the most benefit for the least amount of effort. This is true and there’s nothing wrong with this because its a natural human response. That said; because of this you will never kill effective easy builds because someone will always find a way to be effective, and amongst the effective builds, one will always be the easiest, and that’s where smart people will gravitate!

LOGIC!

i might main a necro now, ron. thanks for all the help.

tbh, i’m starting to get bored with my ranger already. necro is more fun.

in PvP

Posted by: jmatb.6307

jmatb.6307

Is that how you were dropped into downed state at least 5 times per match in the 2v2 tourney? Logic?

Also economists are some of the most irritating people on the planet and S/D thief is carried by sword 2 and evades, just like how Spirit Ranger is carried by the elite spirit. Once you know how to use sword 2 well you can be borderline kittened and play S/D as well as the “good thieves”

(edited by jmatb.6307)

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

Lol

Qaelyn,

Helseth is a coward who hides behind his large audience for confirmation of his own dogmatic beliefs, and I truly feel for you if you’re one of his fanboys. Also, that video was four months ago, and if you or Helseth continues to believe that S/D is still spam (and it really never was anyways), then your ideas are seriously outdated and you should probably just stop talking.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Valentin.2073

(edited by Valentin.2073)

in PvP

Chicago Jack.5647

[…]then your ideas[…]

You seem to keep avoiding the underlying answer to this: These are not my ideas, and quite frankly, no offense, I place more stalk with people like Caith than you. Quite frankly, it’s more than Caith and Helseth who have commented on the ridiculousness of S/D thief. All of the top players have different ways they’d like to solve the issue (I’m partial for jumper’s idea of actually making the whole skillset usable instead of just two buttons), but there is a rather wide consensus that S/D thief is pretty ridiculous as it is now and falls in the same league as any other noob-friendly build.

(edited by Chicago Jack.5647)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Is that how you were dropped into downed state at least 5 times per match in the 2v2 tourney? Logic?

Also economists are some of the most irritating people on the planet and S/D thief is carried by sword 2 and evades, just like how Spirit Ranger is carried by the elite spirit. Once you know how to use sword 2 well you can be borderline kittened and play S/D as well as the “good thieves”

Obviously my decisions were working if I can spend most of my time in downed state and still make it to 4rd place versus many of the best players in the game. Just saying.

Also; we would have been in second if not for the loser bracket and joking on Caed and Tany on our second encounter. So… Yeah, like I said. most outcome with the smallest effort. Economic Logic ftw! (And little tip, I wasn’t down very often, the only fight that was super problematic was the shatter Mesmer who ran Moa. If you can’t see how that could lead to me biting the dust a lot, that’s on you. We even won when I got moa’d at the start as an MM. Pro lyfe!)

We already knew we weren’t killing the Hambow Ranger comp. That comp hard counters us pretty badly, we’ve been struggling with it for over a week now.

in PvP

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

Moa killing all minions makes me want to mail a burning bag of feces to A-Nets doorstep. Such BS.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Moa killing all minions makes me want to mail a burning bag of feces to A-Nets doorstep. Such BS.

Why would minions listen to a bird?

I guess the same reason that a Ranger can summon spirits via communing and turn into a bird and they still stick around. Hell it makes less sense for spirits to stick around when Zombies don’t even listen to the master as it is. They’re brainless monstrosities that aren’t controlled, the better question is why do they need the necromancer in a specific state to want to eat brains. O.O

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

Thanks for the links, Valentin.

in PvP

jmatb.6307

Qaelyn please don’t take any build links Valentin posts seriously the guy does not have any real experience in team queues, hasn’t competed in tournaments, and constantly trolls the forums

in PvP

Valentin.2073

Qaelyn please don’t take any build links Valentin posts seriously the guy does not have any real experience in team queues, hasn’t competed in tournaments, and constantly trolls the forums

yeah right. i was on top 800 in teamq before the reset, dude. i’ve already played more than 100 tourney games and i just had 5 straight wins earlier on my necro in tpvp. i may no longer be in leaderboards now because of inactivity but i do know what i’m talking about.

(edited by Valentin.2073)

in PvP

jmatb.6307

All you know how to do is get carried by FOTM builds. When you know how to run GS/LB Warrior and win 1v1s against Thieves, glass Power Ranger, glass Power Necro, or Halting Strike Shatter Mesmer then you’ll be more creditable.

I’ll give you links for those builds and challenge you to survive with them:

Warrior:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQJARTjcOFvxO2QMxBEjCjAIOKSCmQ9wO2w4A-ToAg0CnIKSVkrITRyisFNsYZB

Ranger:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQJATRjIVR2VW+Vs2Bg1j9CsvWBNZPOkxFPY1nH-ToAg0CnIQShkDJDSSksINsYZB

Necro:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQNBIhZakRrSvTTbjhPhA949wFnJqAyQ9ocYnPE-TsAg0CnIQShkDJDSSksINsYZxsAA

Mesmer:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQJARWlwzipnVTqGb9ICqHYX29dkUYasWJF42FC-ToAg0CnIKSVkrITRyisFN+Y9B

Warning: if you try these builds you will die very quickly if you don’t know to engage, unable to size up a 1v1 situation, rotate, or don’t know the class.

If you make these builds work you will kill people in seconds, scare the kitten out of them, and make them play timid for an entire match. You’ll use your teammates and the environment as your defense, and roll in to otherwise even fights and crush the enemy

(edited by jmatb.6307)

in PvP

Valentin.2073

qaelyn, if you wish to get roflstomped and have a very frustrating gw2 pvp experience go take this guy’s suggested builds.

i like cheese. everybody likes cheese. and after the patch we will create another cheese builds.

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

yeah right. i was on top 800 in teamq before the reset, dude. i’ve already played more than 100 tourney games and i just had 5 straight wins earlier on my necro in tpvp. i may no longer be in leaderboards now because of inactivity but i do know what i’m talking about.

DUDE! You were in the top 800 (IN NA LOL) with 7 wins and 5 losses!!!!! ROFL and you are bragging about it…

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Well I can vouch that MM can be taken to high tier. Before I stopped doing conquest a week ago I made it to 12 in Team Que.

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

Guys, can you please take the body-part-not-to-be-mentioned waving contest elsewhere? Thanks.

I am only looking for starting points anyway. If I try a build and I don’t like it, I’ll do something else.

in PvP

Valentin.2073

DUDE! You were in the top 800 (IN NA LOL) with 7 wins and 5 losses!!!!! ROFL and you are bragging about it…

i wouldn’t get the rank if we didn’t beat top players, dude. besides i had no intention to brag about it. we all know how leaderboards is so broken. i only play for fun not to be a pro. i also wanna help new players to have an enjoyable pvp experience. what did you do to contribute in getting new players to join the community? None.

in PvP

Valentin.2073

and also ahuba, why do you always antagonize me? is it because i’m not as veteran as you guys? i assume this is all how you treat new players here. no wonder why pvp is dying.

in PvP

jmatb.6307

qaelyn, if you wish to get roflstomped and have a very frustrating gw2 pvp experience go take this guy’s suggested builds.

i like cheese. everybody likes cheese. and after the patch we will create another cheese builds.

No someone who actually thinks will make a cheese build for you to copy and paste.

in PvP

Valentin.2073

No someone who actually thinks will make a cheese build for you to copy and paste.

you’re accusing me of copying other people’s builds? lol. so what if i did which i didn’t? this is just a game, dude. everybody uses game guides and cheats. i use cheats on ps3 all the time.

in PvP

Posted by: Druss.6917

Druss.6917

If you want the easiest build to run with minimal effort, go hambow warrior. And use my special technique I developed for maximum efficiency:

“Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!”

(edited by Druss.6917)

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

[…]then your ideas[…]

You seem to keep avoiding the underlying answer to this: These are not my ideas, and quite frankly, no offense, I place more stalk with people like Caith than you. Quite frankly, it’s more than Caith and Helseth who have commented on the ridiculousness of S/D thief. All of the top players have different ways they’d like to solve the issue (I’m partial for jumper’s idea of actually making the whole skillset usable instead of just two buttons), but there is a rather wide consensus that S/D thief is pretty ridiculous as it is now and falls in the same league as any other noob-friendly build.

All I’m going to suggest is that you play either my S/D build or Jumper’s S/D build and see how “noob-friendly” the build is while still, y’know, managing to grab kills and score points.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

…and you also play necro..

Attachments:

in PvP

Valentin.2073

…and you also play necro..

i love necro. best class ever. <3 < 3 <3

in PvP

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

mesmer is countered by condi, especially AoE condi so necro and engi counter makes sense. it doesn’t make them OP just based on that, but necro would be OP in this meta if it wasn’t for warrior.

P/D is just low damage troll build so it makes sense it can’t remove any bunker types.

If you can’t remove a class from a point, then move to next point.

This is pretty accurate.

The game has more or less become a rock paper scissors type of “counterplay”. Warriors are specifically designed to beat necro’s so the the podcasters will say “oh no! looks like (insert pro necro gamer tag) is gonna have trouble with that warrior.” This ensures that even the newest of players will understand. lol

This feels like a marketing technique. Trying to baby-feed the game to the audience or even the player-base. But if this is the direction, it’s kinda shooting itself in the foot. Like saying fewer options will make things more interesting. It will make it easier to understand for the first day, but then you’re bored because there’s nothing more to understand. This profession does this, and is weak vs this profession, but beats that profession. Learn one build. ZZZZZzzzzz. Has no longevity.

There is no holy trinity in this game in the traditional sense, just a new version of it. It’s suppose to be the players who create the meta. Not only for builds but for strategy. And usually this “meta” isn’t even used in high-end competition.