Clarity

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Xeph.4513

Xeph.4513

Firstly I would like to apologise to anyone who has offended or hurt by my previous posts, it was never my intention, I had no idea that my post would project such negativity; the chaos that ensued was not calculated nor intended.

I made those posts as a general outlook at some of the problems that exist in Guildwars 2, most of which were apparent and old news for most of the Guildwars PvP community; my intention was that some form of positive debate would follow, where ideas would be bounced around and people could reflect onto ArenaNet how they would like to see these problems solved.
Although I do understand those problems are common knowledge, I also understand that these forums exist as a medium between the community and developers; as I am aware that the developers do understand the problems with their game and probably have far more comprehensive knowledge about their game than myself, but this is the only thing in my power as a player trying to assist a game I once loved. I doubt that anyone who actively participates in these forums wishes to see this game fail, but people just express themselves in different ways thats the beauty of being human.

However I now understand that I made a mistake, I had not realised how far the PvP community had degraded, I couldn’t possibly fathom such a reaction.
I am by nature hopelessly positive, and it does at times cloud my judgement, anyone who has ever watched us stream can vouch for this, I see hope when we are down 400 points and 3 capped.

Regardless, I would like to extended my sincerest apology to the developer’s and the rest of the community.
I wish to see this game succeed, I love this game as much as anyone else; just because I have decided to depart doesn’t mean I harbour any ill-intent.
I also have the deepest respect for both Jonthan Sharp and Jon Peters, I have had the pleasure of speaking to both, and I can assure you guys they love this game, and they love the community, sadly their hands are tied and I am sure if they were given the resources, there would be no better e-sport out there.

I understand how a lot of you feel, but Chaos and flaming will not solve anything, there are better ways to go around communicating; I say this because trust me I have been in the same situation as you guys for the past year, and I know exactly how you feel, but lets not try and destroy what little we have.
Two wrongs will never make things right.

Thank you.

Mr Mod please spare my thread.

Off to chase cars and broken dreams.

Team Paradigm.
Xeph.

(edited by Xeph.4513)

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

In on multi-page thread.

The great forum duppy.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

I can see this one going well.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

So actually… we have been posting on the wrong forum.

Does NCsoft have any forums we can ask for more resources?

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Keep saying from start…guild wars was one of the best if not The Best pvp mmorpg and they totally ruined it, gems, money, this stupid “casual friendly” mentality (A game can’t be competitive if you make it casual friendly…anyone with a proper working brain should get this..try to go HA as “casual aka noob” see what happens)…you made this gw2 and gw1 is still miles ahead…dunno if dev’s fault or not but for sure it must be someone’s and You ppl…you FAILED…TOTALLY. Now all those rants probably crossed the line but the real question is..why? People are gonna complain no matter what, we know…but in this case it must mean something..

Totally agree with xeph’s frustration btw…putting so much effort and looking at the game falling apart with every “balance” rofl patch with obvious things never fixed even after very experienced player’s complaints (That obviously know this game 10 times better than those devs)…no wonder ppl eventually get bored and get the kitten out from this joke..

(edited by Archaon.6245)

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Blimm.5028

Blimm.5028

Xeph should write a book. I like his language.

Think With Portals [TWP]: 4th of 16 at Guildnews.de cup
Liane Frostfire – Elementalist [TWP] Ilona Frostfire – Mesmer [TWP]
Enya Frostfire – Mesmer [OMFG]

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

(A game can’t be competitive if you make it casual friendly…anyone with a proper working brain should get this..try to go HA as “casual aka noob” see what happens)

Actually the mentality of most people in HA was toxic too. “~R20 only or G*&@.”
Besides nothing would happen as casual noob because they would never get a group together.

But yeah i think most people who are toxic (me inc)
might want to tone down a bit.. if the mod’s can take a cynical joke too

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

(edited by Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046)

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

This is for Xeph = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3Br3BKRqI

I am going to name my Ranger’s pet after you!

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

^ Omg… that’s golden lol.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Bsgapollo.5364

Bsgapollo.5364

Well said ! I’m with you all the way Xeph

Level 80 Elementalist, experienced player in pvp, trying out pve for now.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

Not many people make 2 I quit posts, well played.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

Its a perfect storm, PAX low numbers, dislike over Meta, conquest mode etc….

Add to that Anet created a massive amount of angst with recent snide comments about GvGs, community ‘other game modes’. A fair number of the PvP population consider themselves WvW/GvG players unwise Anets choices and wordings.

The truth might be painful but its needed. People are rejecting only having one game mode.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

lol dude don’t blame us we were just letting out our raaaage.

seriously now i dont blame devs as much as i blame MARKETING. it lied to me. “world class PVP?” yeah right. never will buy a game on release again. all those years of frustrated WoW arena left me desperate

marketing set the bar way to high for the devs. attracted a player pool they couldn’t handle

(edited by gwawer.9805)

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Wryog.5073

Wryog.5073

I suppose it was actually better for everyone to vent their feelings instead of simply ragequitting. That doesn’t mean that I don’t understand you leaving.
BTW I didn’t even read the post before pressing that +1 button lol.

Wryog [WBC] – elementalist
Gunnar’s Hold

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

So actually… we have been posting on the wrong forum.

Does NCsoft have any forums we can ask for more resources?

I think it’s the suggestions thread

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: RustyEyeballs.8927

RustyEyeballs.8927

This needs it’s own complete post!!

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Krayiss.4926

Krayiss.4926

hmmm :? his other I quit threads had more constructive feedback than this :O

Necro 10/30/0/0/30 7/26

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Halo Bond.7302

Halo Bond.7302

I’m sorry that you leave. Hope you’ll come back, because the game is worth it.
It was allways a pleasure to watch you on stream.
I wish you all the best.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

See you Xeph! It’s always been a pleasure watching you play and listening to your ideas!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do next in life!

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

Alright, what did he do? Quick before this gets locked.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

He didn’t really do anything, and what happened had basically nothing to do with the content of his post.
After several months with a very laughable meta-game, the community got fed up and this occassion was perfect to cause an outrage.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

The reality of the flaming and chaos that is spoken is nothing more than the human element being removed from dialogue. Words on a screen are no substitute to having to say something directly to someone sitting in front of you. When the language used and terms thrown about become hateful and/or disrepectful, it is a sign of very low moral as opposed to a sign of pure negative people.
I think everyone can understand frustration, even if it is a virtual world video game that is not real in anyway.
I agree many people who migrated from guild wars to guild wars 2 feel varying senses of frustration in pvp at times. I, myself am one of them. I do however think the PvE experience is exceptional, but these forums are Pvp based.
As a professional that works in a highly competitive industry where my personal creations are judged hundreds of times daily I have received numerous distinctions for my work and even przedawards, but I am also subject to consumer changes and preferences and criticism. As much as taking in the praise is good, it is from constructive feedback that one becomes better and makes their team better. When the criticism becomes harsh (And i mean bone cutting harsh.) All one can take from it is that this person has taken the time to write, but is truly feeling let down by the experience they had with you.
I think a-net is aware of this. This is not their first offering to the gaming world, and no doubt they have watched with interested what fellow developers have done in other ncsoft projects and contributed where they could.
As much as the hurtful statements may be counter productive in general, they are a sign that players are looking for an experience that they feel is not quite being satisfied currently due to some aspects of pretty much profession, but by no means all aspects.
If I had to choose one thing of a constructive nature that I, myself would look at, it would be lowering the peak of all professions, but lifting the bottom rung of all professions at the same time. Advice I would give any other in my profession as to how I have won the awards I have and distinctions is simple, " Do less,.but do it better." never try to put 8 pounds in a 5 pound bag.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: VictorTroska.3725

VictorTroska.3725

this stupid “casual friendly” mentality (A game can’t be competitive if you make it casual friendly…anyone with a proper working brain should get this..try to go HA as “casual aka noob” see what happens).

This stupid casual friendly mentality that make millions for League of Legends? Oh yeah. Sorry, keep sitting in your “hardcore” competitive game with 10.000 players and barely going over 5000 views on streams during tournaments where this “stupid casual friendly” games have multi million cash prize and 100.000 viewer tournaments.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Well on the bright side.

17k tourney player population and 5k actually watch the stream. Good ratio i guess =]

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: ReklaBonBon.3429

ReklaBonBon.3429

this stupid “casual friendly” mentality (A game can’t be competitive if you make it casual friendly…anyone with a proper working brain should get this..try to go HA as “casual aka noob” see what happens).

This stupid casual friendly mentality that make millions for League of Legends? Oh yeah. Sorry, keep sitting in your “hardcore” competitive game with 10.000 players and barely going over 5000 views on streams during tournaments where this “stupid casual friendly” games have multi million cash prize and 100.000 viewer tournaments.

Same thought xD

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: RegnorVex.4071

RegnorVex.4071

Its a perfect storm, PAX low numbers …

Eh? I live in Seattle and couldn’t get in because it was completely sold out within 23 minutes. I’m sure I could have tried buying tickets from scalpers, but I didn’t see that as worth my time, but I don’t know what you mean by “PAX low numbers”.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Achilles.2197

Achilles.2197

Its a perfect storm, PAX low numbers …

Eh? I live in Seattle and couldn’t get in because it was completely sold out within 23 minutes. I’m sure I could have tried buying tickets from scalpers, but I didn’t see that as worth my time, but I don’t know what you mean by “PAX low numbers”.

I believe he is referring to the abyssmal numbers that watched GW2 PAX

Âchillæs – Jade Quarry – GvG’ing before you knew what it was

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

100 gold says he’ll come back in a week as a mysterious player named “Zefth”

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: boomslang.4357

boomslang.4357

^^^

Ya that was pretty crazy riot missing all the feedback tho :O

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Folly didn’t even tell his team he left, not sure why a thread about Xeph is needed.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Which I keep trying to remind you people is a silly metric because the highest GW2 viewer count has been at 9~10k (Ascended Crafting). (Pre-launch it only ever reached 20k.)

5.5k (on only the English stream since everyone likes to ignore other languages) is apparently more than 50% of the population base that even bothers to watch Twitch.

In context of relative reality, the word “abysmal” has no place.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I also have the deepest respect for both Jonthan Sharp and Jon Peters, I have had the pleasure of speaking to both, and I can assure you guys they love this game, and they love the community, sadly their hands are tied and I am sure if they were given the resources, there would be no better e-sport out there.

Truth. Don’t hate the devs. Hate Ncsoft.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Truth. Don’t hate the devs. Hate Ncsoft.

It depends on with which jurisdiction resource allocation lies. If PvP development is treated as completely separate from PVE (as was often touted pre-release), it is conceivable that the high-level decisions about it are made in Seoul rather than Bellevue.

If it’s really due to NcSoft’s managment and not ANet’s managment it might be quite a bit harder to get the message through to the leadership that PvP in this game does not have the resources it needs to be successful. The continuing insistence that the game might still turn into an e-sport with the one it currently has available is either a delusion or a lie told to bait PvPers to buy the game.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

I’m on the fence about the recourse thing.
Sure if Anet had more resources, there would be far more bug fixes and tweaks to classes… and yeah that would be “an improvement” but that won’t make GW2 a good game.
It’d be more polished… but polish isn’t fun.
So far the devs have done jack kitten to make anything, any class, any utility, any weapon more deep/engaging/fun…
They have stuck to balance and balance alone, as if the key to the entire ‘why we flopped’ problem lies in its hands.

I understand how a lot of you feel, but Chaos and flaming will not solve anything,

It depends where you see the problem.
If you only look at the game, well then yeah, its entirely irrelevant.
If you take into account the people making the game… well flaming could have an effect that could be positive in the long run.

People being flamed tend to feel shuned, shuned people tend to lose interest in what they are shuned about, losing interest is a loss of engagement, and that can lead to changes in staff…
New minds just might have what it takes to not spiral GW2 downhill.

Strictly hypotheticals here.

(edited by garethh.3518)

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

Which I keep trying to remind you people is a silly metric because the highest GW2 viewer count has been at 9~10k (Ascended Crafting). (Pre-launch it only ever reached 20k.)

5.5k (on only the English stream since everyone likes to ignore other languages) is apparently more than 50% of the population base that even bothers to watch Twitch.

In context of relative reality, the word “abysmal” has no place.

Don’t try to peddle this tripe. I wasn’t aware people watched streams of pve content in large numbers in any game ever. So its not bad because other aspects of GW2 doesn’t have people watching it in large numbers. When you compare GW2 pvp streams to other E-SPORTS steams you will see it is pretty abysmal. Its GW2 fault for trying to peddle this pvp as an E-Sport so it should be compare to other E-Sports! Is this hard to understand?

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: boomslang.4357

boomslang.4357

Where is Anet trying to peddle this pvp as an esport? Is it in the design/implementation of features or are they ever going to host tournaments or something or telling people its esports?

I mean at pax JonSharp was making fun of his game. Zoo comments and such. And the stream its self wasn’t commentated very well either having to due to the game being bad like how Sharp was making fun of it or casters not being that of professional material. Im not sure havent seen them do any other games.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Younha.3170

Younha.3170

Keep saying from start…guild wars was one of the best if not The Best pvp mmorpg and they totally ruined it, gems, money, this stupid “casual friendly” mentality (A game can’t be competitive if you make it casual friendly…anyone with a proper working brain should get this..try to go HA as “casual aka noob” see what happens)…you made this gw2 and gw1 is still miles ahead…dunno if dev’s fault or not but for sure it must be someone’s and You ppl…you FAILED…TOTALLY. Now all those rants probably crossed the line but the real question is..why? People are gonna complain no matter what, we know…but in this case it must mean something..

Totally agree with xeph’s frustration btw…putting so much effort and looking at the game falling apart with every “balance” rofl patch with obvious things never fixed even after very experienced player’s complaints (That obviously know this game 10 times better than those devs)…no wonder ppl eventually get bored and get the kitten out from this joke..

Are you serious? As someone else mentioned, League of Legends is exactly casual, friendly. And I’m going to bring up something else, Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Gamecube. The fighting game community is still supporting it strong and had ~160,000 concurrent views at EVO. Any game can be competitive if it gets the right following. Doesn’t get more casual and friendly than Jigglypuff beating the crap out of a Fox.

Avenger
Thief | Warrior | Ele | Necro | Guardian

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Lady Sara Goldheart.2764

Lady Sara Goldheart.2764

Super Smash Bros Melee is a very technical game (Wavedashing, L-Cancel, Shield Grab are a few (Basics)). GW2 has different dynamics than it. Saying it is a casual game is flawed. It can be played casually but some have played it for years, have practiced a lot of hours just to execute a certain technique. It isn’t easy to play it competitively.
Evo also had around ~140k for SSBM. UmvC3 got over 150k (possibly 160k).

This game has a lot of potential with its combat mechanics though but the current balance has made things so simple and rewarding.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Doesn’t get more casual and friendly than Jigglypuff beating the crap out of a Fox.

But Fox is kittening overpowered

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Gw1 > Freakin single player warcraft 3 aka lol anyday…not even close to a comparison and btw if you’re noob in lol you’re gonna die badly if you meet someone just a bit able to play (Have some friends playing in diamond league and only god knows why they like that crap chinese game..it’s beyond me)…so it’s not so casual friendly, here for “casual friendly” they mean that ppl should be able to win and get rewards even if they’re able to do nothing (Look @ hotzerg…even more rewarding than tpvp) And this mentality just ruins pvp, supporting noobs while hurting more exp players is always a bad idea..

(edited by Archaon.6245)

Clarity

in PvP

Krayiss.4926

is Xeph coming back this next patch or no? alot of his issues are being fixed

Necro 10/30/0/0/30 7/26

Clarity

in PvP

Krayiss.4926

is Xeph coming back this next patch or no?

Necro 10/30/0/0/30 7/26

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Oblivion.8307

Oblivion.8307

no. 15chars….

Symbolic

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

This is for Xeph = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3Br3BKRqI

I am going to name my Ranger’s pet after you!

this is epic, and deserves own thread

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Super Smash Bros Melee is a very technical game (Wavedashing, L-Cancel, Shield Grab are a few (Basics)). GW2 has different dynamics than it. Saying it is a casual game is flawed. It can be played casually but some have played it for years, have practiced a lot of hours just to execute a certain technique. It isn’t easy to play it competitively.

This game has a lot of potential with its combat mechanics though but the current balance has made things so simple and rewarding.

Absolutely. This game has so much potential imo. It is very frustrating to practice so much on necro (for example) and get really good at it. Then suddenly a series of patches come along which make it so that the playing field is totally level and skill is all but taken out of the equation because it just comes down to spam with tiny things separating good players from bad ones. Same with warrior and every other class actually.

I have played necros who lay all their marks on them. Or who use fear mark very early for no apparent reason. Or who lead off with an offensive DS#3 fear. These people are bad and should be easily owned by people who know what they are doing. But to be honest they bring 95% of what a good necro doing mechanically good things would bring to a team. So it is basically not noticeable in any way.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Kentrey.3251

Kentrey.3251

Absolutely. This game has so much potential imo. It is very frustrating to practice so much on necro (for example) and get really good at it. Then suddenly a series of patches come along which make it so that the playing field is totally level and skill is all but taken out of the equation because it just comes down to spam with tiny things separating good players from bad ones. Same with warrior and every other class actually.

I have played necros who lay all their marks on them. Or who use fear mark very early for no apparent reason. Or who lead off with an offensive DS#3 fear. These people are bad and should be easily owned by people who know what they are doing. But to be honest they bring 95% of what a good necro doing mechanically good things would bring to a team. So it is basically not noticeable in any way.

I wanted my tiny voice added to this thread about my love for GW2 and my want for the game (especially the pvp) to prosper. I would love if the game was a bit more skill based (not that its far off) just with basic basic knowledge of the game and the skills that make up your class you are about as good as the top players of the game. You’re really just missing the team and the teamwork to back it up.

As a play who watches motions to dodge warrior earthshakers or holds on to endurance to roll over teleporting churning earth eles, or always being able to pick out mesmser and burning down thieves guild those differences don’t change much in the out come of the fight.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Jomo kenyatta.7351

Jomo kenyatta.7351

The problem is Xeph that people instead of reading the comment understanding it and thinking about it, people just assume you have some hidden agenda, because you lost a 1v1 or cause you team lost one game, but its simply because you want the game to get better. Dont stop posting, its not your negativity its theirs.

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Lady Sara Goldheart.2764

Lady Sara Goldheart.2764

@ Henry/Lordrosicky
I have recently started to play fighting games. (You can say I switched to them)
The difference in skill requirement is much higher there, though it has some simple concepts too.
You get bodied, punished and what not there, but it comes with knowledge and skill to be able to pull it off (which this game lacks to some extent).
Things you can pull off here are way too easy to do. (7 buttons with CDs)
I understand why it has been made so simple as it allows to pick-up the game easier. It can benefit a lot from less chaos and more depth and difficulty though.
Props to the fluidity of the combat though.

(edited by Lady Sara Goldheart.2764)

Clarity

in PvP

Posted by: Aeroxe.8140

Aeroxe.8140

Thanks for your contributions to the game Xeph. It was great having you around.

Thief (main), ele, guard
Past member of most teams NA. Retired proleague season 1+2.
http://www.twitch.tv/aeroxe

Clarity

in PvP

Krayiss.4926

the new patch is amazing is he ever coming back?

Necro 10/30/0/0/30 7/26