Class Tier List- Post December 10th Patch

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

So, y’all know how these work just remember to consider how different profs will be after the Dec 10th patch

Tier 1- meta or OP
Tier 2- average or near meta
Tier 3- below average or practically unusable

Also remember to order classes by number, i.e. 1. Mesmer is stronger than 2. Warrior

For example, here’s my list:

Tier 1:
1. Mesmer
2. Warrior
3. Necromancer

Tier 2:
4. Engineer
5. Guardian
6. Ranger

Tier 3:
7. Elementalist
8. Thief

And… Go.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I think Necro with the spvp condi nerfs will be in Tier 2, and they’ll still get wrecked by CC. So…

Tier 1
- Warrior
- Mesmer
- Engineer

Tier 2
- Guardian
- Ranger
- Necromancer

Tier 3
- Thief
- Elementalist

That’s my predictions.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

I think Necro with the spvp condi nerfs will be in Tier 2, and they’ll still get wrecked by CC. So…

Hmm.

I’ll have to check that out in the patch notes.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Slim.3024

Slim.3024

So, y’all know how these work just remember to consider how different profs will be after the Dec 10th patch

Tier 1- meta or OP

Also remember to order classes by number, i.e. 1. Mesmer is stronger than 2. Warrior

Tier 1:
1. Mesmer
2. Warrior
3. Necromancer

Tier 2:
4. Engineer
5. Guardian
6. Ranger

Tier 3:
7. Elementalist
8. Thief

And… Go.

I find this list very interesting, since the first tier is comprised of classes that basically counter each other. Mesmer counters Warrior, Warrior counters Necro and Necro counters Mesmer.

in PvP

Posted by: Neuromancer.1653

Neuromancer.1653

Tier 1:
1. Guardian
2. Mesmer

Tier 2:
3. Engineer
4. Necromancer
5. Warrior

Tier 3:
6. Ranger
7. Elementalist
8. Thief

Nitromethané

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

Tier 1- meta or OP

Tier 1:
1. Mesmer
2. Warrior
3. Necromancer

Tier 2:
4. Engineer
5. Guardian
6. Ranger

Tier 3:
7. Elementalist
8. Thief

And… Go.

I find this list very interesting, since the first tier is comprised of classes that basically counter each other. Mesmer counters Warrior, Warrior counters Necro and Necro counters Mesmer.

I’d say that that’s only partially true. IMO mesmer has very good matchups against warriors only because a lot of warriors are really bad at the game. Heck, if you look at my sig, I include something from the warrior forums- one warrior told me that he valued having one clone over a 7% (heavy armor over medium armor) damage reduction.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Slim.3024

I’d say that that’s only partially true. IMO mesmer has very good matchups against warriors only because a lot of warriors are really bad at the game.

I was under the impression you were a numbers guy. Assuming Warriors are somehow worse players in general is nonsense.

Mesmers have the upper hand against Warriors, unless they insist on using staff and greatsword, which are two range weapons, and try to fight them on a node in close combat.

And even then, you can often win by pressuring them to follow you and often succeed in keeping the node contested as well. A Warrior who chooses to stay on the node is going to die without a chance to the off node pressure a Mesmer produces through phantasms and ranged damage. And that’s with a shatter centric build.

in PvP

Posted by: Neuromancer.1653

Neuromancer.1653

There is no x proffesion counters y in this game. It´s x build can counter y build. So saying mesmers counter warriors is nonsense.

Nitromethané

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

There is no x proffesion counters y in this game. It´s x build can counter y build. So saying mesmers counter warriors is nonsense.

Not always, most people who says X class counters Y class are almost always referring to 1 meta build. For instance if someone says (random example) Necromancer absolutely wrecks thieves, they’re most likely talking about condition necros since that’s what most of them are, and thieves struggle with conditions.

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

I’d say that that’s only partially true. IMO mesmer has very good matchups against warriors only because a lot of warriors are really bad at the game.

I was under the impression you were a numbers guy. Assuming Warriors are somehow worse players in general is nonsense.

Mesmers have the upper hand against Warriors, unless they insist on using staff and greatsword, which are two range weapons, and try to fight them on a node in close combat.

And even then, you can often win by pressuring them to follow you and often succeed in keeping the node contested as well. A Warrior who chooses to stay on the node is going to die without a chance to the off node pressure a Mesmer produces through phantasms and ranged damage. And that’s with a shatter centric build.

I am. I assume what I assume because warriors are arguable the most beginner friendly (and similar to classes in other MMO’s), so it would make sense that many warriors are bad for that particular reason.

EDIT: that’s not to say that warr somehow makes you bad, or that all warrs are bad. Obviously, neither of those statements are true.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

(edited by Arganthium.5638)

in PvP

Slim.3024

I am. I assume what I assume because warriors are arguable the most beginner friendly (and similar to classes in other MMO’s), so it would make sense that many warriors are bad for that particular reason.

Well, there are two sides to that coin as well. A class that is easier to play leaves less room in terms of playing badly or making mistakes. Which leads to the same conclusion as before.

If you see Warriors losing to Mesmers quite often, the logical conclusion is not that these Warriors are bad, which in fact they aren’t considering that it’s the more experienced players who have rerolled to them mostly in the competitive PvP scene, but that Mesmers do in fact have the upper hand against Warriors.

And yes, it is implied here that only the performance of meta builds is being evaluated in this, for the poster who accused me of being nonsensical.

in PvP

Slim.3024

<<Evolving players>> like Helseth + Caed , pwn Piunny maths and speculations !
Asian ppl too soon !

You’re speaking nonsensical gibberish.

You are right
I should better find new players and link a math list about <<100 power increase, increase the dps by % , so the battle log your linked is false and you are lying>>
I am saying globlerish
Can you use ur Math skills to enlight us for your class list ?

Be a casual with no << good name>> to protect , i am having a lot of fun on the forums :PP

You may knock on math and theory all you like, fact is that 95% of the top players in this game are not playing optimal builds. It ranges from the wrong sigil to rune set or even traits and utilities, which almost always could be improved within the parameters of their own playstyle and role.

They do not know that, though and thus they stay “ignorant” and assume their success is based on their very specific choices, which often leads to them actually convincing themselves of the choices they have made with nothing more to show for it than anecdotal evidence.

The worst part is that less successful players believe this to be true as well and thus blindly copy whatever has been successful.

At the very top of this game, builds, skill and precise, evolving or advanced gameplay is very much secondary to actually knowing how to rotate the capture points correctly.

GW2 is more a strategy game than a PvP combat oriented one.

(edited by Slim.3024)

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Tier 1
- Mesmer (specifically condi mesmers)
Tier 2
- Warrior
- Thief
- Elementalist
- Necro
- Engineer
- Guardian
Tier 3
- Ranger

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

The day that ranger is t3 in pvp and ele and thief is t2 may come my friend, but dec 10th is not that day

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

People are over-exaggerating about elementalists, they’re very strong. Thieves can be very good once people get out of the stupid full zerker mentality.

Rangers are just bad. All their weapons are awkward and their utilities aren’t so hot either.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Tires don exits!!!!!!!!

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

I dunno why mesmer is so high rated; Phantasm/Condi mesmer is going to be like some sort of Tanky tanky DPS who’s useless at team fights…

IMHO; worthless in high end tpvp, but we’ll see..

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

Tier 1
- Warrior
- Mesmer
- Ranger
- Necromancer
- Engineer
- Guardian

Tier 2
- Elementalist

Tier 3
- Empty

Deleted
- Thief

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in PvP

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Tier 1
- Warrior
- Mesmer
- Ranger
- Necromancer
- Engineer
- Guardian

Tier 2
- Elementalist

Tier 3
- Empty

Deleted
- Thief

LOL. That made me laugh. Thank you.

in PvP

Posted by: Phantaram.1265

Phantaram.1265

People are over-exaggerating about elementalists, they’re very strong. Thieves can be very good once people get out of the stupid full zerker mentality.

Rangers are just bad. All their weapons are awkward and their utilities aren’t so hot either.

I hope this is a troll.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

let’s assume you are serious

what build should thief run outside of zerker, a bunker lol?

amuse me please

as for topic:
tier 1:
necro
mesmer
war
engi

tier 2:
guardian
ranger
ele

tier3:
nothing

and yes, there is no thief on the list, lol @ dec 10th

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

God Tier:
Guardian

Tier 1:
Mesmer
War
Engi
Necro

Tier 2:
Ranger
Ele

Tier 3:
Thief (venomshare slaves mostly)

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

in PvP

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Isn’t it silly and pointless rating the classes before the balance patch and the effect of 8 new healing skills?

The meta’s going to be mixed up quite a bit and probably only after a week will we have a good idea which classes are the winners and which are the losers.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Isn’t it silly and pointless rating the classes before the balance patch and the effect of 8 new healing skills?

The meta’s going to be mixed up quite a bit and probably only after a week will we have a good idea which classes are the winners and which are the losers.

Not really, most players are good enough at theory crafting to have a good enough idea at this point having seen a chunk of changes and seeing the heals demonstrated. The only thing that really keeps us in the total dark is not knowing how much the patch notes may have changed, and how many things will change that just weren’t mentioned. But even still unless its huge, we can have a pretty good idea. Several players have already tested “post-patch” builds on some classes, specifically the warrior.

in PvP

Posted by: jimmyimo.2089

jimmyimo.2089

Tier 1 (“OP”):
Mesmer
Elementalist
Thief
Warrior
Engineer
Necromancer
Guardian
Ranger

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

A list like this is tough… do you mean for hotjoin or for solo/team queue?

and lol @hammerguard putting guards so low on the list.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Generally speaking; its meant for Team Que pvp, at least it should be because that’s all that we used to really look at (before Solo Ques and custom arenas allowing standardized 1v1 and 2v2s). So these should be based on a 5v5 match up. However you will get a lot of 1 on 1 trickle biases thrown in the mix too sometimes.

in PvP

Posted by: Judous.5781

Judous.5781

Engineer is meta now, and won’t change after the patch. Moving Incendiary powder to master tier kinda sucks, minor readjustment of builds is all.

What I hope to see is that Rangers and Elementalists will join the meta and push the Hammer Warriors out.

I’m worried about Guardian changes making them OP. I have seen some brutal DPS builds with lots of blocks, and Condition removal. Increasing they’re damage is not a good idea.

Other than that, all classes have “meta” builds that work very well. And this patch doesn’t look like it’s going to hurt or boost anyone that badly. Except for Hammer warriors, yay!

[CoSa] Sephx (Engineer)| Sefex (Mesmer)

in PvP

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

No one’s rating the classes based on the new healing skills, they’re rating the classes based on the new healing skills along with the balance patch.

in PvP

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

Tier 1
Guardians
Mesmers

Tier 2
Warrior
Necro
Engie
Ranger
Thief
Ele

Tier 3
-

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

in PvP

Posted by: Mightymealworm.8409

Mightymealworm.8409

I’m amazed everyone is assuming guards are getting a huge buff from somewhere. I honestly don’t see where in the pre patch notes this is coming from. Even the increace to sword damage trait (an extra 5%) was left on the table, might be something else.

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

I’m amazed everyone is assuming guards are getting a huge buff from somewhere. I honestly don’t see where in the pre patch notes this is coming from. Even the increace to sword damage trait (an extra 5%) was left on the table, might be something else.

Guardians have been staple in tPvP ever since beta. They’re not getting any needs to their meta and nothing looks like it will push them out any time soon. Not surprised they’re t1

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Krafty.9758

Krafty.9758

Bunker Guardians have been staple in tPvP ever since beta. They’re not getting any needs to their meta and nothing looks like it will push them out any time soon. Not surprised they’re t1

Fixed that for you.

in PvP

Posted by: Prime.8792

Prime.8792

This thread is a preemptive cry for nerf? lol

People need to rate current meta first, and then crystal ball the future meta.

Everyone agree that as of now, Ranger, Warrior, Necros are top tier?

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Necromancers aren’t even taken in tournaments. How could they be top tier?

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Tier 1- meta or OP

Tier 1:
1. Mesmer
2. Warrior
3. Necromancer

Tier 2:
4. Engineer
5. Guardian
6. Ranger

Tier 3:
7. Elementalist
8. Thief

And… Go.

Looooooooooooooooooooooool

T3 thief and ele? Oh dear. You are misinformed. D/P thief is BUFFED. Ele is not T3.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

This thread would be useful in the future..

in PvP

Posted by: Momekic.8603

Momekic.8603

Tier 1- meta or OP

Tier 1:
1. Mesmer
2. Warrior
3. Necromancer

Tier 2:
4. Engineer
5. Guardian
6. Ranger

Tier 3:
7. Elementalist
8. Thief

And… Go.

T3 thief and ele? Oh dear. You are misinformed. D/P thief is BUFFED. Ele is not T3.

Actually, you are the misinformed one. Thieves are nerfed all around. They are receiving one minor buff to initiative regen that is overwhelmed and negated by the nerfs. Nice try though.

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

First of all, even if thief is overall buffed, it has literally only two usable specs: one D/P build and virtually the same build but with D/D. However, there are other things you have to consider. For example, the change to Infusion of Shadow severely weakens what was anyways one of the few reasons to get D/P over D/D, and given that many other initiative traits were nerfed, the reason to take D/P over D/D has practically been nullified, so, in all honesty, D/D is virtually the only usable spec.

I’m not even going to mention ele to you; if you don’t think it’s T3, you’re just wrong, and that’s all there is to it.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: jmatb.6307

jmatb.6307

You clearly don’t remember 6 months of teams have at least one, usually two eles.

It’s a very strong class that is finally going to be relevant again.

And please stop with the whole Thief is gonna be irrelevant garbage 33% init regen, the haste on crit buff, and taking the biggest cheese out of the class leaves it just as good, if not better, in the hands a good thief.

The only people whining about tomorrow’s patch are S/D thieves, who are only outmatched by spirit rangers, hambow warriors, and condi necros as crutch dependent baddies.

It’s hilarious that they keep screaming that its the end of the world, and their tears are delicious.

(edited by jmatb.6307)

in PvP

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

“You’re wrong because I say so and I won’t listen to your argument becasue every player says so besides you.”

ah spvp forums,

Tier 1
whoever plays better

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

The game is going into a rock-paper-scissors death spiral where hard counters decide matches and skill doesn’t matter. In that setting, a class tier list means nothing.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in PvP

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

It’s a little hard for me to evaluate it on a numerical tier basis.

So let’s try this:

S
-Guardian (Guard has always been desirable during every meta, and only looks to be getting better)
-Warrior

A+
Necro

A
Mesmer
Ranger

A-/B+
Engi (only because it’s ease of use versus output is worse than other classes that can achieve similar results with less work)

Don’t really have an opinion on thief/ele.

Thieves can be successful but I’d wager that players successfully playing thieves at top tier levels are outliers compared to how well the majority of players are capable of playing them.

I don’t know if anything eles are getting (even Diamond Skin) alleviates any of the problems that have been keeping the ele out of the meta up until now. It doesn’t seem like it, so ele would be in last, unless they get something drastically different or better than what the preview showed us, or I’m just an incapable theorycrafter for the ele profession that isn’t seeing something.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in PvP

Posted by: Grebcol.5984

Grebcol.5984

Tier 1:
1. Mesmer — Gods now
2. Engineer — To much spamm
3. Necromancer – too much spamm

Tier 2:
4. Warrior — Can everything and doenst aquire much skill for playing well
5. Guardian — best balance here
6. Ranger -- need some love

Tier 3:
7. Elementalist —- Mehh Up and weak
8. Thief —- MEHHH more Up and weak too squishy and in most of the aspects ingame terrible.they are really only in solo roaming WvWvW good but in Dungeon/Group Support/larger fights/Zergs they are weak like hell.Warriors are 100% better and yea they have also better mobility rofl.R.I.P Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Rangers won’t have the midfight like they used to but they will certainly own sidepoint as they always have.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Michael.7382

Michael.7382

Stop this GOd Tier for mes alrdy pls… Only God Tier is Guard, as alwayse, eot.

Champion: >| Illusionist | Shadow | Phantom | Legionnaire | Magus | Hunter |<
r[5x] tPvP onlY.
|>>> 2000+ Tournament Matches won, still rising <<<|

in PvP

Posted by: Stealthasaur.2198

Stealthasaur.2198

I cant understand why people think thieves are so bad….my thief is getting buffed, so is many of the top thieves builds. The only thieves getting nerfed are shadow arts and sword/dagger. Im looking forward to this thief buff.

in PvP

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

Not gonna do some class tier list since it all comes down to builds, just gonna say i’m really sad for the game that they are so blatantly trying to “fix” its state by replacing some of the most despressing faceroll cheese specs by just creating new ones.

This is so obvious, and so disappointing.

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

I cant understand why people think thieves are so bad….my thief is getting buffed, so is many of the top thieves builds. The only thieves getting nerfed are shadow arts and sword/dagger. Im looking forward to this thief buff.

The problem is that those are the only two other types of thieves outside of D/D and D/P, for the most part, and D/P is becoming irrelevant now because of the extra 3 init for stealth and the fact that you can’t stay in stealth for long periods of time with D/P any more. Thus D/D is the only “real” build left, and anybody who knows anything about thief knows about the disadvantages of playing a D/D thief.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Stealthasaur.2198

Stealthasaur.2198

You dont know much about the thief obviously^ D/p is extremely strong after this buff. Like I said, its only a nerf for the low class shadow arts d/p thieves.