Combos - is this a joke?

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

From today patch notes: “For the first time in a very long time, we’re changing what a specific combo finisher does. In the past, we made side steps from retaliation to a light aura that gives retaliation. In this update, we’ll be changing the blast finisher for light fields to directly remove conditions from nearby allies. The team will be analyzing the effects of this in each game type and will be following up with it if necessary.”

After a “very long time” we have combos adjusted for light field to cure conditions. Seriously?! Newsflash: this is power creep era! Who uses combos anymore? Who stays to watch effects for water field and light field? Who plays with voice chat to state their combo fields and finishers when we stopped using TS and Discord long ago because we have solo-duo only? Would someone ever play a profession just for combos when the only one to ever listen is their partner (from solo-duo)?

Honestly, something is extremely wrong here. I no longer know who designs this game and who enjoys the features in announcements. This is way WAY too late for combos. They got removed from PvP when HoT was released, and were buried when Solo-Duo was added, remember?

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Everyone uses combo fields for their effects

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Stop creating threads for nothing…..

That note is in the general section, it means it affects WvW as well. They use voice chat.
I don’t know what class you play but at least thieves and engi uses combos in a daily basis….how do you think thieves go into stealth ? And engies heal for an insane amount with heal turret ?

I really don’t mind a field that clear condis, light aura was useless….And anet pushes the condi meta more and more.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

At first glance and without testing it, I think it’ll be too tricky to pull off a combo cleanse with light fields because;

• it is normal to blast on a restack, as opposed to when moving,
  • when moving is when you acquire the conditions that light field blasts will cure,
  • other, more convenient, condition cleansing abilities are available.
Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Yes, because PvP is the only part of GW2, how silly of ANet to change something for the sake of PvE or WvW

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Svarty.8019

Yes, because PvP is the only part of GW2, how silly of ANet to change something for the sake of PvE or WvW

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I suspect you already know but for the avoidance of doubt, my particular post above is regarding WvW, not PvP.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I was actually replying to OP and not to you. I’m pretty sure she had another comment in here that was deleted that I was directly replying to

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

As an Engineer, I use combos all the time. In fact, I rely on them. And this change is actually a little buff to my Elixir Gun, which happens to have a light field and blast finisher, so I’m happy.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Svarty.8019

As an Engineer, I use combos all the time. In fact, I rely on them. And this change is actually a little buff to my Elixir Gun, which happens to have a light field and blast finisher, so I’m happy.

As an expert at combos, I would like to ask you (or another engineer) how easy would you say it is to use a combo while moving, and could a group of 10 people coordinate blasting a field while moving (called on teamspeak)?

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

As an expert at combos, I would like to ask you (or another engineer) how easy would you say it is to use a combo while moving, and could a group of 10 people coordinate blasting a field while moving (called on teamspeak)?

Depends, some are easier than others, for example if a druid says he’s going to heal you guys you know he will be whipping out that water field so be ready with blasts. A guardians symbols and light fields last for a while so can be placed ahead in plenty of time same for elixir gun 5 and some ele water fields etc.

A lot of combo fields in the middle of a fight though are mostly combinations of opportunity, I see a fire field on aura share I will try to leap through it to heal allies. I see an ice field and I’ll use a blast if I have it…then blast blindness, darn necro well.

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

not an engi player per say…. but yeah its absolutely possible…. wvw and gvg do it all the time

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Seriously?! Newsflash: this is power creep era! Who uses combos anymore?

Engies, and Thieves to name a couple.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

I can’t believe people are actually complaining about this. The retaliation gained from light field blasts was mostly pointless and probably made light fields one of the worst field types in the game.
I’m really glad they changed it to a cleanse; it fits with the theme of light a lot better too.

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

this was gold xD

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Wargameur.6950

You need to use your brain a little and actually listen to the com and it’s ok…I have the impression you think blasting is actually hard…

With instant cast it’s as easy as to put your mouse on the field and click on the blast skill.

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

Pretty easy really. Even running around open world I use my same pvp build but with Firearms instead of Inventions, so I have to blast my electric field for perma swiftness.

I do this by dropping my healing turret, then dropping my electric field a little bit ahead of me, then as I run over it I swap to elixir gun, do a 180 turn, detonate healing turret and hit acid bomb then spin back around. I do all this and never stop moving.

Gate of Madness

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

i’m surprised that anyone doesn’t use combos like second nature.
guess that’s the engineer in me talking.

but honestly use them, they rock.
yes,its mch harder to coordinate finishers without teamspeak in a pug. but in an actual 5 man party it’s really easy. just call the field, then people finish it. your team should already know you have the field in you build & expect this.

using fields, primarily water can increase your teams survival by sooo much.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Who uses combos anymore?

Everyone?

M I L K B O I S

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Wargameur.6950

yes,its mch harder to coordinate finishers without teamspeak in a pug. but in an actual 5 man party it’s really easy. just call the field, then people finish it. your team should already know you have the field in you build & expect this.

If you have a marker (from squad options) for water field it’s ok as long as you mark a place a bit ahead of time

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Svarty.8019

Several classes only have access to either seemingly weak/non-essential/unreliable finishers. Take a look at Necro finishers, Guardian finishers.

The whole combat system needs reviewing, we’ve had four years of lopsided favouritism in the form of finishers. I think Arenanet are too busy bodging random aspects of classes rather than taking a holistic approach.

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Wargameur.6950

On Necro I always uses #3 then #4 on staff since the #4 is a blast and combo with poison field for AOE weakness….That’s one more condi for additionnal stacks of torments from scepter #2.

same for reaper shroud, you can leap with #2 in the frost zone of #5, do you think a frost aura is that irrelevant to you ? Same for the whirl in that zone + grandmaster condi trait for more bleed stacks. To me reaper shroud is one of the skill set with the most synergy for combos….

To not know how to play them is fine, to say that they are weak is false….

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

To me reaper shroud is one of the skill set with the most synergy for combos….

Say wha…..? Have you ever played an Engineer? I mean sure, Reaper Shroud probably seems like a combo master compared to everything else about the Necro. But Reaper doesn’t utilize combos anywhere near as much as some of the other professions. :-P

Gate of Madness

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

On Necro I always uses #3 then #4 on staff since the #4 is a blast and combo with poison field for AOE weakness….That’s one more condi for additionnal stacks of torments from scepter #2.

same for reaper shroud, you can leap with #2 in the frost zone of #5, do you think a frost aura is that irrelevant to you ? Same for the whirl in that zone + grandmaster condi trait for more bleed stacks. To me reaper shroud is one of the skill set with the most synergy for combos….

you should get out o the habit of dropping 4 after 3.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Wargameur.6950

you should get out o the habit of dropping 4 after 3.

Yea, true it’s also a condi transfert…I like playing fear with my necro, so I know I have other ways to mitigate damages…..

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I suspect you already know but for the avoidance of doubt, my particular post above is regarding WvW, not PvP.

This is the PvP Forum section.

Combos - is this a joke?

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I can’t believe people are actually complaining about this. The retaliation gained from light field blasts was mostly pointless and probably made light fields one of the worst field types in the game.
I’m really glad they changed it to a cleanse; it fits with the theme of light a lot better too.

sorry to break it to you but as a scrapper player I used to blast lightfield from elixir gun 5 with egun 4 ALL THE TIME. it was very effective for pvp. Im seriously disappointed with this change.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "