Communication in game

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: John Corpening.9847

John Corpening.9847

Associate Game Director

Next

In the “Competitive Casual Gameplay Options” thread a really great discussion got started about improving communication in game. This topic became big enough that I really felt it deserved its own thread. The topic was started especially regarding Solo Arena but we can open it up to other areas of PvP here.

This is just a discussion to kick around some ideas on ways the game could improve communication.

So, here are a couple of questions.

What can the game do to improve communication between teammates in-game through the UI?

How much of an impact do you think the mini-map overhaul we did last year had on communication in game?

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

i want to press a buttom and talk to my team mates like any other game in 2014

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Nabbo.2845

Nabbo.2845

i want to press a buttom and talk to my team mates like any other game in 2014

nobody uses those in mmos tbh

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

i’d like to be able to talk to everyone/selected player.

this would greatly improve game experience, gw2 sPVP is team game.

but, this only given some mechanism of verbal abuse control. if anet has manpower for it (to track complains) – would be great. if not – it will go wrong big time.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Can I get some sort of title or other visible flag that says “I am a PvP noob”?

Or possibly something that I can switch on that automatically displays to my teammates/allies some objective measure of my experience – PvP hours or ranks or something. That way when I do show up nobody is surprised I’m still figuring the whole process out .

(none of this visible to those nasty, nasty red name plates. Show no weakness!)

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Oulov.7913

Oulov.7913

+1 for Juan.

We’ve got plenty of time before the match in solo/team arena starts, it would be a great time for a quick strategic planning carried out on the map itself. The leader could create a mark for every member of the team with a specific order attached to it so that all team members can see where to go and what to do.

A blue dot/mark = defend
A red dot/mark = attack
A purple dot/mark = attack and defend/hold as long as you can

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Make it possible to somehow place an “X” on the map which would mean “go there”.
Drawing kind of works but it is more difficult to notice. However, problem with X would be removing it, people might forget. But yeah, something like that would be cool.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

What can the game do to improve communication between teammates in-game through the UI?

A ping system like league of legend would be a great start.

Smite’s system is awesome too. There are a few prerecorded voice-messages that can be played by typing specific keys in your keyboard.

Another idea is that chat messages of the team leader pop in the center of the screen. The team leader would be the player with the highest MMR in the group

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

other than voice communication, there are a few things that can be done.

1.) Communications Rose (LoL, Battlefield games, etc.)

Usage: Shift and Hold Left-Mouse button on your mini-map (or rebind to a better key) to display the Communications Rose / Pop-up Communications.

While the pop-up is active, a player can mouse-over several commands that they can issue to the location clicked onto the mini-map.

For ease of use, 4 Commands would include:
– Attack Area
– Defend Area
– Watch Area
– Do Not Go to area

This would be pinged onto the map for 1-3 seconds and display a graphic to indicate what command was used (such as a Red X for the “Do Not Go” Command) with a small, not overly audible sound with it.

2.) New Player Icons

When a match begins, players can opt to display a colored circle around their class icon to indicate the type of role they are using.

- Orange Outline: Indicates the player is a primary Damage source for the team.
– Teal Outline: Indicates the player is a Control source for the team.
– Green Outline: Indicated the player is a Defensive/Bunker for the team.

(colors may vary)

Along with player icons, perhaps, the icon of the player should be greyed out when they are defeated (currently it just displays their normal icon, and it looks like they are just standing still according to the map, meaning you must check the party bars to confirm.)

2 other things to consider:

- Resignation: add a /resign function for teams to end a match early when in an extremely snowballed situation, requiring all members of the team to type the command to accept.

- Reporting: add the ability for a team to report a player for AFKing, with a possibility of adding 1 dishonorable to them.

- Match Start Delay / Pause: When in a 4v5 situation, allow the timer (if before match start) to delay until a new member can be substituted in their place after a 15 second grace period.

If a player leaves mid-match, allow the game to pause if all players currently present, (on the team with the disadvantage) wish to suspend the match by displaying a pop-up window asking the players. It will suspend for 20 seconds and attempt to find a replacement player, then resume regardless after the 20 second period.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

A ping system like league of legend would be a great start.

Smite’s system is awesome too. There are a few prerecorded voice-messages that can be played by typing specific keys in your keyboard.

Another idea is that chat messages of the team leader pop in the center of the screen. The team leader would be the player with the highest MMR in the group

Yep^ these are all very good ideas

Also, adding a respawn timer to the party UI for defeated teammates would be nice (just showing the amount of time before they are back in base)

Ranger//Necro

Communication in game

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

Usage: Shift and Hold Left-Mouse button on your mini-map (or rebind to a better key) to display the Communications Rose / Pop-up Communications.

While the pop-up is active, a player can mouse-over several commands that they can issue to the location clicked onto the mini-map.

– Attack Area
– Defend Area
– Watch Area
– Do Not Go to area

This would be pinged onto the map for 1-3 seconds and display a graphic to indicate what command was used (such as a Red X for the “Do Not Go” Command) with a small, not overly audible sound with it.

2.) New Player Icons

When a match begins, players can opt to display a colored circle around their class icon to indicate the type of role they are using.

(colors may vary)

Along with player icons, perhaps, the icon of the player should be greyed out when they are defeated (currently it just displays their normal icon, and it looks like they are just standing still according to the map, meaning you must check the party bars to confirm.)

The color outline idea is cool! I’d also like to be able to specify which role I intend to play and have that role factored into matchmaking. Players could designate a role to themselves when they went into queue so that you wouldn’t end up with a team of four roamers or four bunkers.

Ranger//Necro

Communication in game

in PvP

Zietlogik.6208

– Attack Area
– Defend Area
– Watch Area
– Do Not Go to area

2.) New Player Icons

(colors may vary)

The color outline idea is cool! I’d also like to be able to specify which role I intend to play and have that role factored into matchmaking. Players could designate a role to themselves when they went into queue so that you wouldn’t end up with a team of four roamers or four bunkers.

Exactly, this could be implemented directly into the matchmaking to try to assist in team creation…i just fear that trolls may find that enticing.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

I just don’t think typing or clicking is a good enough option for communication because of how fast the gameplay is in this game. There just isn’t enough time…..unless you’re playing a PU mesmer. Voice communication for groups is a must if you want to maximize communication and for players no matter who they are to work together. It will also EXTREMELY help out players who are just beginning in sPvP because other players can give them a role and tell them how it works and communicate what to do while playing in the match. You just can’t do this in text at the beginning of the match and most new players aren’t going to tell everyone they are new so listening to what other people have to say and being guided by them with a voice comm would be incredible. It would help players improve drasticly. In my opinion, voice communication is a necessity.
Edit: I saw someone post that MMOs don’t traditionally use voice comms and that is not important. Gw2 can strive to be different like it already has and improve the competitive quality

(edited by Cush.4063)

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Oulov.7913

Oulov.7913

I just don’t think typing or clicking is a good enough option for communication because of how fast the gameplay is in this game. There just isn’t enough time…..unless you’re playing a PU mesmer. Voice communication for groups is a must if you want to maximize communication and for players no matter who they are to work together. It will also EXTREMELY help out players who are just beginning in sPvP because other players can give them a role and tell them how it works and communicate what to do while playing in the match. You just can’t do this in text at the beginning of the match and most new players aren’t going to tell everyone they are new so listening to what other people have to say and being guided by them with a voice comm would be incredible. It would help players improve drasticly. In my opinion, voice communication is a necessity.
Edit: I saw someone post that MMOs don’t traditionally use voice comms and that is not important. Gw2 can strive to be different like it already has and improve the competitive quality

Why should Voice communication during the match exclude the initial strategic planning on the map before the match starts? Let’s demand both. Both are great ideas to be implemented together.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The mini-map improvements were awesome to me. Added more depth to my playing, both individually (by challenging my judgement skills on where to go based on where my opponents are) and as a team player (by having a better understanding on which allies are having or would have more or less trouble depending on who or how many they are facing). It was a successful improvement, to me, as a substitute for the lack of organized mic communication between team members.

In order to further improve communication, I would like an expanded ping system or some easy-to-select chat commands. Currently, pinging on the map is very vague: does that means opponents are coming? Does it means that the player there is having trouble and needs help? Does that means that another ally is requesting someone to go there, without fully knowing if the bunker really needs help or not?

Those chat commands could also be tied to pinging – automatically pinging in the map and writting something on it the moment they are typed. And they should definitely be easy to type, and once done so, they should automatically go to the team chat – even if typed while under /map, /whisper, etc. Those commands could trigger specific voice sounds warning the party what is going on, and their respective auto-pings have unique colorings.

Some easy to write chat commands that could exist, out of the top of my head:

/inc – player incoming to my current position – pings current position with a “shield” icon in the map.
/inc2, /inc3, /incx, /inc+, x players incoming – pings current position with a “shield” icon in the map..
/sos, /help, /aid – I need the aid of an ally – pings current position with “shield” icon in the map.
/close, /mid, /far – Someone should go there – pings respective locations with “sword” or “shield” icons in the mini-map.
/spread, /gather, /yes, /no, /ign(ore) – For agreements/ disagreements and leader orders.
/treb, /ham(mer), /boss, /base, /lord, etc – map specific commands – pings respective locations with a “sword” icon in the map.

Also, something to help players to organize at the beginning of each match. Perhaps with an options to place a class-specific icon on the mini-map representing themselves. Those icons would disappear once the actual match starts, but they would serve to quickly communicate who goes where in the beginning. Expanded upon, sword or shield icons representing desire to bunker respective places, or to attack or cap-and-roam those points.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

In the “Competitive Casual Gameplay Options” thread a really great discussion got started about improving communication in game. This topic became big enough that I really felt it deserved its own thread. The topic was started especially regarding Solo Arena but we can open it up to other areas of PvP here.

This is just a discussion to kick around some ideas on ways the game could improve communication.

So, here are a couple of questions.

How much of an impact do you think the mini-map overhaul we did last year had on communication in game?

This came up in the WvW thread months ago. I said the answer is, if course, Raid Leader and Raid Assistants like they have in WoW.

I even pointed out that this system would work for WvW, PVE and PvP. I think Devon poo-poo’ed it, which, in my opinion, was incredibly myopic.

Just go look at how WoW handles Raid Leader and Raid assistants, then implement that here. Problem solved for every game mode. Is there something better? Perhaps. Would Raid Leader/Assistant work well for GW2? Absolutely!

Seriously, though, why does this merit a separate thread? When you guys designed the game, you must have had a discussion about whether or not to implement something akin to WoW’s Raid Leader/Assistant, and dismissed it. Ultimately, you nay-say’d the idea and went without. You must have had a good reason. Can’t you go back and figure out why you decided against some kind of hierarchical in-game communication system?

Edit: Here is the link to the response:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Collaborative-Development-Commander-System/page/9#post3315941

And here was my follow-up to that:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Collaborative-Development-Commander-System/page/9#post3316535

The only I can think of as to why you wouldn’t implement such a system in GW2 is cost. And if cost really is that much of a concern, then why are we wasting our time here having this discussion in the first place?

(edited by Thedenofsin.7340)

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: JoopFOX.9510

JoopFOX.9510

+1 for smite’s system. Simple keyboard combinations (V,V,A for example) will let a voice shout out crucial information for the team (“incoming Home”, “buff coming soon”), which is always better than having to type and read it in chat.

Professor James – Mesmer

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

This was discussed a long time ago on here and people were asking for a system which allowed you to use emotes like “Help!” or “All clear”. Coupled with the mini map this could work really well. The devs already said ages and ages ago this was a good idea and something they would like to do. But nothing ever happened on it so I guess it was forgotten, hence you asking the question again here

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

I would like to have those role (DD; bunker …) icons, like suggested.
I also know the CommoRose System from BF 2142, I rly liked it.
At least we need a way the rapidly give some commands like “need help”, “point clear”, “inc” etc.

Even if I like to have some kind of strategy in SoloQ, I’m not a fan of Voice Communication.
If I would have the need to voicechat with my team, I would look for a pvp team with TS and play in TeamQ.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

what could be helpful are simple sentences that we can use in Chat WITHOUT writing
we have no time fo write while we see two foes are running to u.
Maybe we have some prepared sentences like “save Close” “go Far” “stop far” or Special ones for maps like “rush Lord” “get Meditation”.
maybe Buttons over the mini map and we just Need to double klick them.
Risk: trolls that spam it

and to mini map overhaul
+1 for class Icons
——-1 class Icons of foes
——————1 mesmer clone Icons are over the Icons of allies so we cant see who Needs help

when we can see the foe Icons, sneaky Actions like decapping in temple via side ways of this map are predictable,
most of times it confuses more then it helps
but now its in and what i wanna see is a way that the Icons do not overlapping so extreme

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Bart Weird.9671

Bart Weird.9671

if you play a 4vs5 in soloq for the majority of the games length, the loss shouldn t count to your personal score, just to the one who left.

Also implement /resign and /report afk

If you are done with tht remove the observe mode from hotjoin and implement it so, u can replay your previous tournement match as well as matches played by top teams!

Thx in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sudhKI2v_sM
[Grawl Shaman Duo Scale 80]

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

• Mini map that actually shows a player dead. It shows player down, but when they actually die its like they are still alive again.
  • Different color pings on the map
http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

ingame VOIP is required for this

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I don’t think there’s much to be done with the UI. We already have the tools we need: ping/draw on map, target on enemy, and chat.

*However, the pace of games needs to be toned down a bit for any communication to make much of a difference. *

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: JinDaVikk.7291

JinDaVikk.7291

Incoming end to thread/

How about focusing on the more important aspects of pvp that are currently broken/have been broken since beta like BUGS etc..

That being said I think people are just 2 lazy to use ts. You have 2 minutes. Thats more than enough time to connect to ts. Any more form of communication is redundant, useless, waste of time, and biggest of all WASTE OF PVP DEVELOPMENT.

Want to know why nothing is getting done? Because they get off track and add pointless things. Stop complaining and use team speak. Its so easy.

/end thread

Team Radioactive
Crysis, Lil Damage, Ovi, Jindavikk, Guard
Causing cancer all day.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Stop complaining and use team speak. Its so easy.

That should really have started and ended in /rage post.

This is about soloque – not teamque.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

What kind of communication are you trying to improve via the UI?

Is the context Solo Queue?

Is the context Team Queue?

In general Mesmer Illusions are not helpful with the UI and understanding how many players one is up against. This is exclusively from a UI perspective. Players using voip applications can communicate this. They can also communicate more rapidly than any most means available via the UI. The mesmer illusion feature is was obviously a design decision, and can’t be changed because it’d be fairly simple to use the minimap to find where the real mesmer is.

In my opinion you’ll never have a high enough quality of communication via a UI that is available via voip. No matter what you add to the UI, voip will always be better or the additions will supplement voip and make it that much more important to have.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Communication in game

in PvP

Zietlogik.6208

In general Mesmer Illusions are not helpful with the UI and understanding how many players one is up against. This is exclusively from a UI perspective. Players using voip applications can communicate this. They can also communicate more rapidly than any most means available via the UI. The mesmer illusion feature is was obviously a design decision, and can’t be changed because it’d be fairly simple to use the minimap to find where the real mesmer is.

In my opinion you’ll never have a high enough quality of communication via a UI that is available via voip. No matter what you add to the UI, voip will always be better or the additions will supplement voip and make it that much more important to have.

I personally have no issues finding the real mesmer in a group, there are plenty of tells, such as buffs, auras, movement, etc. This really comes down to a keen eye.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

SMITE’s Voice Guided System (VGS) is by far the easiest, and most efficient way that I’ve seen to streamline communication in non-voip pickup game situations.. this is the future in solo-queue MOBA or any conquest style PvP, in my opinion.

Load all the ‘calls’ that players have to make on teamspeak typically, as pre-recorded voice recordings.

“Attack Middle/Far/Home”
“X Incoming Middle/Far/Home”
“Be careful Middle/Far/Home”
“Defend Middle/Far/Home”
“Gank Middle/Far/Home”
“Retreat Middle/Far/Home”
“Elite is ready”
“It’s a trap!”
“Group up!”

And of course small talk would be fun, too. IE: Sorry, Thanks, Wait, Cancel That, Yes, No, Be Right Back, Bye, Good Game, ETC.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

• Mini map that actually shows a player dead. It shows player down, but when they actually die its like they are still alive again.

This was a bug introduced with the ‘Force-Respawn’ feature. It will be fixed in the feature patch. My bad.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

I’d like to bring up one problem that always arises when we talk about these kinds of features. How would these systems work across different game modes? Either the functionality has to be generic enough for multiple game modes, or have specifics for each map type (which can be harder to learn).

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Kagu.2015

Kagu.2015

I wish there was party voice chat for dungeons, fractals and spvp.

Communication in game

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

I personally have no issues finding the real mesmer in a group, there are plenty of tells, such as buffs, auras, movement, etc. This really comes down to a keen eye.

I must not have given the correct context. You can’t tell via the minimap on the UI how many players are present because of mesmer illusions. The post was not supposed to be about non-UI parts of distinguishing how many players are present, or how to identify a mesmer in combat via tells.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: IndexObject.6130

IndexObject.6130

Pre recorded voiceovers for all races/genders that indicate directions, or say things like ‘follow me’.

Emotes that are applicable to battle or that allow you to communicate positives and negatives in smaller groups. /no /cheer /point /beckon etc.

A way to put a ‘beacon’ down like a flare to indicate where people should go. Give it a long range, make it so it doesn’t interact with anything, give it a long cooldown so it can’t be spammed, maybe two or three different colours. It could even have a cool animation like a thrown smoke bomb. /smokeblue /smokered /smokegreen gives you a targeting circle, you click and channel for 1 second or so.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

I wish there was party voice chat for dungeons, fractals and spvp.

Just make it voice chat whenever you’re in a party. In an sPvP match it gives precedence to your team over your party.

Call me Smith.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Loki Kola.8632

Loki Kola.8632

Agree with Zietlogik, there. Something I’d like to see is a context-intelligent button that acts kind of like the spot/rose key in BF games. Say there’s someone on a point, it pings where they are (no lingering spot like in BF: just the standard map ping), and has your character shout (in cool racial style, and by gender) “hostile at Windmill/area”. Hit them while you’re also on the point and you shout, depending on whether it’s your point or not, “I’m assaulting the hostile position/our position is being assaulted”. AFAIK, this’d be generic across all pvp gametypes, and wvw, but with specific elements being the name of the point or tower, keep, whatever.

Having a role emblem for players that’s visible next to their name would be cool, too. Though I believe outright symbols around portraits (like the legendary/elite/veteran frames) would help more, especially for colourblind players. Say, Bunker, Damage, Roaming, etc. show up as a buff. There’s always potential for trolling with this, but I think the players making correct use of it would far outweigh those using them incorrectly.

And, please, Guild Leader/Squad Leader/Roaming Partner symbols that take precedence over the standard minimap blip, like commander symbols do, but that are visible only to those in your guild/squad/party/what have you. These may not help as much in pvp, but in WvW it would be very useful, especially in combined situations where you’ve got ten people, eight of whom are taking towers, with two in one party roaming nearby. The two roamers are always visible, with the squad or guild leader also always visible.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Eudaemons.1596

Eudaemons.1596

Have the option to display username (like Eudaemons.1596) in-chat and in-game (possibly making these different options, so you can see character name in-game, but user name in chat). It would benefit the entire game, from guild chat to PvP. I don’t really PvP, but in WvW and Guild Chat, it’d be so awesome to go by usernames so your guildmates or WvW commander knows you’re a certain person, despite playing on an alternate character.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I typically turn off team chat in solo queue. It rarely has anything good to say. If things are going well, no one says anything. If things are going bad, everyone thinks it is everyone else’s fault. No real value to any voice chats. I wouldn’t use it.

For team queue, those teams already have access to voice com. I don’t think they need something in game.

Communication in game

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

SMITE’s Voice Guided System (VGS) is by far the easiest, and most efficient way that I’ve seen to streamline communication in non-voip pickup game situations.. this is the future in solo-queue MOBA or any conquest style PvP, in my opinion.

Load all the ‘calls’ that players have to make on teamspeak typically, as pre-recorded voice recordings.

“Attack Middle/Far/Home”
“Defend Middle/Far/Home”
“Gank Middle/Far/Home”
“Elite is ready”
“It’s a trap!”
“Group up!”

And of course small talk would be fun, too. IE: Sorry, Thanks, Wait, Cancel That, Yes, No, Be Right Back, Bye, Good Game, ETC.

This is interesting .

Could there be basic commands attached to the mini-map that you drag towards each objective with the mouse?

Maybe you could have player names here too and be able to drag a player name onto one of the basic set of commands, then drag that onto the object and an audio string could be parsed together like the following “[Profession:optional] [Profession Number:optional] [Command] [Objective]”

In game voip would be better, but this could be used by people with broken microphones or by people that don’t want to talk.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

“Attack Middle/Far/Home”
“Defend Middle/Far/Home”
“Gank Middle/Far/Home”
“Elite is ready”
“It’s a trap!”
“Group up!”

This is the best idea that I’ve heard. I’d love to see this implemented over regular voip.

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Jivetrky.4697

Jivetrky.4697

i want to press a button and talk to my team mates like any other game in 2014

PLEASE Do not do this. Though it would be nice to be able to speak with team-mates -I am myself a big fan of chatting with guild members thanks to Teamspeak/Raidcall- and though it is now a feature in most games, consequences of adding such a feature would be disastrous: being a member of a Dungeon speed-clearing guild, I know for a fact that we would require players to use this feature for greater coordination during the runs, whether they be in the guild or not.
Point is, many players do not have the equipment needed or just do not want to use such a feature, for they are shy or for whatever else be their reasons. This would split our community and that is not -as I believe- what you guys at Anet want, for we have obviously been led to playing with all the other players in open maps and not just in closed communities requiring applications, the use of a microphone or else.

tl;dr: In-game voice-chat feature would split the community and is not needed, for our Teamspeak network is vast.

Communication in game

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

i want to press a button and talk to my team mates like any other game in 2014

PLEASE Do not do this. Though it would be nice to be able to speak with team-mates -I am myself a big fan of chatting with guild members thanks to Teamspeak/Raidcall- and though it is now a feature in most games, consequences of adding such a feature would be disastrous: being a member of a Dungeon speed-clearing guild, I know for a fact that we would require players to use this feature for greater coordination during the runs, whether they be in the guild or not.
Point is, many players do not have the equipment needed or just do not want to use such a feature, for they are shy or for whatever else be their reasons. This would split our community and that is not -as I believe- what you guys at Anet want, for we have obviously been led to playing with all the other players in open maps and not just in closed communities requiring applications, the use of a microphone or else.

tl;dr: In-game voice-chat feature would split the community and is not needed, for our Teamspeak network is vast.

Why not just do voip for pvp only?

Or pick a few areas to use it, like only usable in Dungeons, Fractals, and PvP

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: ghaleon.2861

ghaleon.2861

It’s 2014, come on we should be able to speak to them in game, just like every other game out there. Nobody wants to type while in combat.

Onesixty IQ Genius[Mesmer]
Zulu OxTactics[Zulu]

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: limonovich.4971

limonovich.4971

? ? ?_? ?? Give Emoji support ? ? ?_? ??

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Starcrusher.4172

Starcrusher.4172

I typically turn off team chat in solo queue. It rarely has anything good to say. If things are going well, no one says anything. If things are going bad, everyone thinks it is everyone else’s fault. No real value to any voice chats. I wouldn’t use it.

For team queue, those teams already have access to voice com. I don’t think they need something in game.

To be honest, you shouldn’t turn off team chat in SoloQ, TeamQ, or WvW. I was in a match earlier today, 3 of us agreed to push 1-3-1 split to open on temple. It turned into a 2-1-2 split because the 2 that didn’t say anything just did what they want. We lost mid, lost the fight at far, then it snowballed and we lost the buffs. With 2 people not listening (aka having team chat off), they pretty much cost us what chance we had to win the game.

As for TeamQ and some form of VOIP, not everyone uses one. There are a lot of people on NA, and I assume EU too, that are sick of the crappy Skyhammer and Spiritwatch maps we always seem to get in YoloQ. So they go at it solo in TeamQ. I’ve met some great players because they don’t queue with teams, and to be honest, 75% of the day most teams are thrown together of pugs (from what I’ve seen over the past few months).

So systems like the one Five Gauge (Caithe) informed us of for just different pings/icons on map. Or Zietlogik’s ideas of having different icons/colors for build types.

These two posts, if implemented in some form, would greatly help new people learn. In terms of SoloQ, a lot of matches are lost because people don’t have a lot of experience in reading the situations, don’t look at the map, or just have Team chat off like you Style.

Having a team that can look at the map and read chat will greatly help, but these ideas will help even more in SoloQ, as well as TeamQ.

Communication in game

in PvP

Chaith.8256

It’s 2014, come on we should be able to speak to them in game, just like every other game out there. Nobody wants to type while in combat.

VOIP is intrusive. It’s not always possible to be on VOIP because of what’s going with your surroundings. Not everybody wants to be in a call, especially with potentially annoying or abusive strangers.

Teamspeak exists for a reason, if you need those features, everyone has it. Implementing voice chat into the game seems to be redundant. I remember voice chat being implemented into another MMO that I played, and it was low quality as well as hardly ever used.

So, that’s why I am all for empowering team-wide voice emotes.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

Communication in game

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

VOIP is intrusive. It’s not always possible to be on VOIP because of what’s going with your surroundings. Not everybody wants to be in a call, especially with potentially annoying or abusive strangers.

Teamspeak exists for a reason, if you need those features, everyone has it. Implementing voice chat into the game seems to be redundant. I remember voice chat being implemented into another MMO that I played, and it was low quality as well as hardly ever used.

So, that’s why I am all for empowering team-wide voice emotes.

Yeah, this is exactly what I think about VOIP

Ranger//Necro

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

“It’s a trap!”

I support this one

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Communication in game

in PvP

Chaith.8256

“It’s a trap!”

I support this one

Haha, yeah, that is an enjoyable one from SMITE. I also like:

“Quiet.”

“Curses!”

“Bye.” (When laying the smack down)

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

Communication in game

in PvP

Posted by: Ryzuma.3065

Ryzuma.3065

Some things that I’d think could be nice would be letting a party have multiple targets, either one per party member or one per class (effectively so you could tell players of each class what to focus without having to type it out) and color coding pings/drawing on the map so you can tell who’s pinging what.