Communication is so overrated

in PvP

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

At the start of the match I’m not going to communicate my intentions to anyone, and me and my duo friend are gonna rush far and leave my team to die at mid. We won’t talk to anyone the entire match or cooperate. We will also not tell you when we decide it’s best to rush lord. Sound good? Okay BREAK!

in PvP

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

Eh…I say hi and that’s about all. If people cannot figure out by ranked what they should be doing or not doing there is no need to communicate. NOW If I am at point alone and 3 come rushing in…well..why call it and stay? Just go to another point and help team. Communication I won’t say is overrated as it is overused.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

in PvP

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

Pings are the best form of communication. I only ping my own location when I see trouble I can’t handle alone incoming. Usually that’s a 2v1, or when on druid, a warrior coming for me.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

If people cannot figure out by ranked what they should be doing or not doing there is no need to communicate.

………. Eh?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Pings are the best form of communication. I only ping my own location when I see trouble I can’t handle alone incoming. Usually that’s a 2v1, or when on druid, a warrior coming for me.

Yeah, in a perfect world where people look at map and have sound on.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: vier.1327

vier.1327

Trash talk in the team chat,can he have another kind of talks?

Mejor músico de Bahia de Baruch.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Trash talk in the team chat,can he have another kind of talks?

From my experience so far, people tend to ignore what i say until i start to spam in caps something like: DRUID STOP GOING FAR, DRUID STOP GOING FAR, DRUID STOP GOING FAR, DRUID STOP GOING FAR, DRUID STOP GOING FAR, DRUID STOP GOING FAR x 20 with some extra spice added to it.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Most people don’t talk. I try to say hi to at least indicate Im open to communication during a game. Personally I cant type and fight, it gets me killed. I do “try” to call for help when needed.

That said, I try to pay attention to what my teammates do at at the start. 1 goes home, 2 go far? Ok, let me check whats rushing mid, might slit off and let them have it and hope the 2 that went far can actually take it. Only one enemy comes mid? Ok, lets check who needs help. My rotations still need help, but I at least try to compensate for what others do.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Chat window is good before the match, but I typically only look at the mini map after the game starts. Most of what is said in chat during the match is worthless.

in PvP

Posted by: Siren.2843

Siren.2843

I’m usually silent, until I see a win opportunity or when I’m in trouble. Usually a small ping is enough. Because I’ve been silent all match people will notice a ping and act on it. When I’ve been yelling and pinging like mad all match my pings will lose their attention value and people won’t act on it. Never cry wolf. I also try to listen to teammates unless the thing they propose is going to get me killed.

(edited by Siren.2843)

in PvP

usnedward.9023

If people cannot figure out by ranked what they should be doing or not doing there is no need to communicate.

………. Eh?

You only quoted part of my comment which can mislead how other read it. Basically it is a 10 minute fight and all you need to do is look at the map. Trying to read chat, typing and such takes away from play and can get you downed quick if by thief or what ever. So communication really isn’t a huge factor IMO. Sure there are times but again by the time someone plays enough to get to ranked they should already know what is going on and what to do. Again…just MY opinion.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

in PvP

Yannir.4132

Yeah, in a perfect world where people look at map and have sound on.

In my experience, that’s more likely than them listening to chat.

All classes lvl 80.

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I agree that team chat is pretty much useless for all except telling your team mates the opening split for the game. Not much annoys me more than people telling the team what to do in chat all game long instead of just playing the game. Sometimes these people even die while typing, you put yourself at a disadvantage when using team chat and almost always you are telling players who actually pay attention things that they already know. The only type of communication that actually gives an advantage in ranked is pinging. That is a decent way to ask your team for help, but other than that, just focusing on your own gameplay is the best thing to do.

Also, most of the time, people don’t even do what you tell them to when you use team chat. I know I certainly don’t. This is because everyone likes to think they know better than their team (whether they actually do or not makes no difference). For example, if I am 1v2 on far but the enemy team has the cap, sometimes people will say ‘Druid leave far’. Of course I am not going to leave, I am holding back 2 players. It’s not that I am ignoring what you are saying, I am just making my own decisions to help the team and I think it is best to just let people do that.

The only times I use team chat are to say hi to people I know, to say where I am going at the start, to tell my team to lord rush and to tell my team to shut up if they are raging at each other. They are the only helpful things team chat let’s you do.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Yannir.4132

@suffish I agree 100%.

A bit of off-topic you reminded me about:
I remember a recent game where I played a power corruption necro, and went far because no one else had gone there yet about 200 points into the game pretty neck to neck. I capped the point behind their back, and jumped over to the ruins behind Henge on Forest, and waited for them to come get it back. In walks an ele and a condi necro. I stayed where I was and didn’t even try to engage them. Well result was that the 2 of them stayed there after the point was capped back, wondering what to do about the necro lurking behind their back.

When they finally came at me and managed to kill me, we were on a solid 80 point lead, and a 2-cap on the map. I got a bit lucky with the opponents because individually I could’ve beaten either of them, so neither could disengage and leave it to a 1v1. Considering what happened it was a good move on my part. It could’ve gone horribly too with different classes.

All classes lvl 80.

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

If communication is so overrated, then you shouldn’t have to post this useless thread to get your point across. /Thread

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

I like talking when I’m dead to give some infos like “2 guys far, 1 necro, 1 engi” “engi coming to mid”

It’s not asking for people to listen to me, just plain info. What they do with that is up to my teamates.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the problem for me is half the people that try to communicate and tell others what to do don’t really get it themselves so I tend not to listen. if they seem chill and want to win then ill follow directions, but sometimes I get tunnel vision.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Fenju.2953

Fenju.2953

“Ele take close”

in PvP

usnedward.9023

I like talking when I’m dead to give some infos like “2 guys far, 1 necro, 1 engi” “engi coming to mid”

It’s not asking for people to listen to me, just plain info. What they do with that is up to my teamates.

This here is a good point. I do the same. I am not against all communication as there is a time such as you mention that is a good time to pop in and say something. Trying to coordinate with 4 other personalities and play style for a short match can be futile because no one seems to listen to each other anyway or conversations start to get toxic.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger