Community Run E-Sports League

in PvP

Posted by: kevin.8623

kevin.8623

With the onset of spvp arenas, what is the interest in competitive teams exploring a community run e-sports like league system.

Details can be written, but its more of the concept that a team based league could be created and teams would be rated as a group, rather then individuals.

Naturally nothing is finalized without word from Arena Net, but Dev Acknowledgement

This is an opportunity for the sPvP community to create something that can potentially serve as a proof of concept for formal e-sports leagues as an invitation for them to start exploring opportunities in Guild Wars 2. I implore all who are interested and the top 50 on the qual-points leaderboard (EU and NA) to consider looking into something along these lines.

(edited by kevin.8623)

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

3 hours go by no one says anything about this? Seriously? Well first of all this is a great idea. If someone who owns the CA and wants to do this I hope they do this, or if the OP owns one, by all means go for it.

Some of the best games in esports history have started up through the community and shoveled their way into MLG and IPL. Only got their because of the ever growing popularity of playing player run tournaments at net-cafes and such.

I am starting to think there is really only a select few of people in this community that actually care about esports, and this game, and the games future with esports.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: Rerroll.9083

Rerroll.9083

A league has to come. We need it.

Someone is trying to organize it:

http://gwleague.com

dont forget to sign your team

Up Rerroll

(edited by Rerroll.9083)

in PvP

Posted by: Dedalus.3065

Dedalus.3065

This sounds awesome. Hopefully it will gather enough interest and happen successfully.

in PvP

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Can’t have a competitive E-sport when the only game format is conquest. That’s why there’s no interest =\

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Focusing on single tournament events would probably be a better idea to gauge turnout and viewership levels.

I tend to agree that as long as conquest remains the only format every team is going to run nearly the same comp (bunkers). Watching near mirror matches over and over again is lame, as is constantly pointed out in Starcraft.

Also, spectator mode may be in, but as far as I know stats tracking is not so the information available to a viewer or commentator is extremely limited.

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

Funny you should mention…

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: SovereignHegemony.4160

SovereignHegemony.4160

Very interesting ideas.

in PvP

Posted by: Kouryuu.4213

Kouryuu.4213

Get some showmatches going!!

Forever unranked.

in PvP

Posted by: Friikshow.8016

Friikshow.8016

I was thinking about how tournaments could work with Custom Arenas, and one thing that comes to mind is possibly using gold. Say you have a 2-team tourney like the ones set up for tpvp, but you set it up in the CAs, registry fees are 5 gold a team, basically 1 gold per player. winning team gets 7 gold 50 silver, the rest of the money that was used in registry fees goes to funding the CA. But this is just a rough idea, probably could be expanded on or possibly a better idea than this.

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

I’m down to let people use my server for things like this. It would be cool to set something up like CAL.

Hopefully I’ll have a full team sometime soon, too.

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

in PvP

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

I think I have a solid idea….Is there a way the community can organise say 5 different custom server maps….each cycling through the tpvp maps….and each custom server is representative of a league like LoL…aka bronze silver gold plat and diamond.

And you can only go up once you have promo’d etc. I dont even know if this is doable…just trying to think of pw restrictions….how joining servers would even work…..now that i think about it i dont think that’d work like at all….you’d need like…100 servers for each bronze silver etc…..kitten…..god kitten

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

I think I have a solid idea….Is there a way the community can organise say 5 different custom server maps….each cycling through the tpvp maps….and each custom server is representative of a league like LoL…aka bronze silver gold plat and diamond.

And you can only go up once you have promo’d etc. I dont even know if this is doable…just trying to think of pw restrictions….how joining servers would even work…..now that i think about it i dont think that’d work like at all….you’d need like…100 servers for each bronze silver etc…..kitten…..god kitten

I like the idea, but it’s really dependant on exactly how many matches can be rolling at 1 time per server (I’m assuming only 1). If we can have 5+ matches per server then it’s definitely something the community would be able to organize.

Then there’s the ratings system itself; I wouldn’t expect someone to sit around and spectate every single game to tally up w/l of every person or team, so we’d have to figure out a way to implement an external daemon or mafia script of some sorts to keep track of all that (which might get us banned haha), or ask anet to include a history tab for each server listing the wins and losses of each player.

Either way, I love the idea, there just isn’t enough information out there on the details of the modular features for custom games yet to determine if it would even be possible.

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Good post!
Though I think ppl need more incentive to form teams and play on a competitive level. 10 Guilds per Region is way too less.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Shranks.3260

Shranks.3260

Thanks and applied! (Although I couldn’t apply the team name with a blank – so I had to combine the two words)

It might not be a professional league with incentives, but for other games as well you can see that community leagues are mostly a lot of fun. They help newer player to get into a regular playing pattern so they can improve – they are also the best thing available so far.

Thanks a lot and see you online!

Traq – Accidently Famous [oops]
Engineer since BWE 1

in PvP

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

A league has to come. We need it.

Someone is trying to organize it:

http://gwleague.com

dont forget to sign your team

So this is round-robin with a tournament at the end?

That could be good, but I think a ladder system (where you challenge a team above you and if you win you take their place) might be better as it accommodates teams leaving and joining at any time a lot easier.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in PvP

Posted by: Rerroll.9083

Rerroll.9083

I also offer my arena (will be up since release) for any tournament play. PM me if anyone is interested in hosting something

Up Rerroll

in PvP

Posted by: kevin.8623

kevin.8623

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Reroll i’ll keep in touch, thank you. And everyone be sure to talk this type of concept up amongst other players, this is something that is more about the big picture then an individual tourney.