[Comparison] Potential for E-Sports?

in PvP

Posted by: Mash Hog.5672

Mash Hog.5672

The other day I saw this being passed between a few friends:

LoL Match History

This is incredible! LoL stores all kinds of data and displays it in the web-browser to share with it’s players. This information is being shared on all kinds of social media websites: it’s acting as FREE PUBLICITY. Stats like this allow people to show off their achievements to their friends which pushes others to play harder as well. There is NO reason GW2 should not have a system like this in place if they want their game to go E-Sports. We are already told that the game tracks all kinds of statistics, all they need to do is make a web interface to display all of this data.

I can honestly say that GW2 PvP is a LOT more fun than LoL or any other kind of PvP I have played. It bothers me because I see so much wasted potential in this game. I am doing my very best to help promote the PvP community in this game, but when I see what little Anet has to offer when it comes to the competitive scene compared to these other companies, I am a little distraught.

If it is a lack of resources that Anet has, I can personally write whatever is needed to make an interface like this very easily if I am given the proper resources.

Gasmic > Mic Gazzy
Leader of [GASM] #ELEtism
(Retired) Commander [2500+ tPvP Matches Won]

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

lol is a moba, everybody loves mobas

/end of line

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Mobas are popular because they are extremely easy to follow and understand. Even the concept of how to play one is extremely easy because of the minimal amount of buttons you need to use.

That is why it is an esport.

GW2 is far more complicated and extremely hard to follow unless you PvP a lot and know what is going on.

I don’t play LoL anymore. I still watch Worlds. It’s extremely easy to understand what is happening.

People think it is all because there aren’t many game mode or not enough maps. Or even poor balance and no events going on. It’s all bullkitten. It’s due to complexity of the game itself. There are factors that could make it more popular and easier to watch, but it will never be LoL because of complexity.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

and people still say game is too easy or why the reason for NPE….. Most people don’t know how to run a build that completely syncs with itself. Copy/Paste seems to be the answer for most. Knowledge is key and I do agree with @tichorum. Hopefully with this NPE people will understand the mechanics of the game a bit better and run builds that compliment each other.

Necromancer Main

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

what’s NPE? sry, i’m so bad with all those abbreviations.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

what’s NPE? sry, i’m so bad with all those abbreviations.

New Player Experience.

Necromancer Main

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Wait who told him the secret builds…. kitten it

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Kugkug.8795

Kugkug.8795

still learn zero about other classes and are still stuck watching a huge number of nameless vague effects taking place in pvp as a new player

heck even veterans complain about the UI giving very little info on what is going on

the downed system makes it even more confusing for new players, they just see players getting back up like crazy and wonder how to actually kill something

in PvP

Posted by: strifer.7986

strifer.7986

Mobas are popular because they are extremely easy to follow and understand. Even the concept of how to play one is extremely easy because of the minimal amount of buttons you need to use.

GW2 is far more complicated and extremely hard to follow unless you PvP a lot and know what is going on.

I don’t play LoL anymore. I still watch Worlds. It’s extremely easy to understand what is happening.

People think it is all because there aren’t many game mode or not enough maps. Or even poor balance and no events going on. It’s all bullkitten. It’s due to complexity of the game itself. There are factors that could make it more popular and easier to watch, but it will never be LoL because of complexity.

LOL this is a bullkitten.
I do not play lol but i have been playing SMITE (third-person WSAD moba) and GW2…and i can tell you SMITE pvp is much more deep than gw2….a lot of items(not 3 traits based on class)…a lot of gods(gods=class, 58gods and more are realsing) not 8 class…..many game modes…1 change every week based on player feedback….and all this things overall give you a better competitive evolving environment….and smite is a FTP game. Ppl dont like gw 2 anymore beacuse its stale, after 2 year ( same age of smite) its the same pvp…
and….
esport = Electronic sports (or esports) is a term for organized video game competitions, especially between professionals.

gw2 is made for casuals.

(edited by strifer.7986)

in PvP

tichorum.2415

I do not play lol but i have been playing SMITE (first person WSAD moba) and GW2…and i can tell you SMITE pvp is much more deep than gw2….a lot of items(not 3 traits based on class)…a lot of gods(gods=class, 58gods and more are realsing) not 8 class…..many game modes…1 change every week based on player feedback….and all this things overall give you a better competitive evolving environment….and smite is a FTP game. Ppl dont like gw 2 anymore beacuse its stale, after 2 year ( same age of smite) its the same pvp…
and….
esport = Electronic sports (or esports) is a term for organized video game competitions, especially between professionals.

gw2 is made for casuals.

The ignorance is real.

I’m talking about the complexity of gameplay. Smite gameplay is not complex. It’s a very simple, easy to follow task. Players have minimal abilities to use and it’s extremely easy to follow what someone is doing.

Also, please..how mad are you right now? Judging from your post you seem very angry about what I said.

(edited by tichorum.2415)

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I do not play lol but i have been playing SMITE (first person WSAD moba) and GW2…and i can tell you SMITE pvp is much more deep than gw2….a lot of items(not 3 traits based on class)…a lot of gods(gods=class, 58gods and more are realsing) not 8 class…..many game modes…1 change every week based on player feedback….and all this things overall give you a better competitive evolving environment….and smite is a FTP game. Ppl dont like gw 2 anymore beacuse its stale, after 2 year ( same age of smite) its the same pvp…
and….

gw2 is made for casuals.

The ignorance is real.

I’m talking about the complexity of gameplay. Smite gameplay is not complex. It’s a very simple, easy to follow task. Players have minimal abilities to use and it’s extremely easy to follow what someone is doing.

Also, please..how mad are you right now? Judging from your post you seem very angry about what I said.

I always wished guild wars 2 had a similar game mode to smite’s Arenas. I feel like it would be nice.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

E-sports potential? None.

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

/thread.

Honestly if you believe this isn’t true please point me at an MMO e-sport.

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I see what Kensuda is saying, but honestly American Football is a 7 Billion Dollar business and it is similar in complexity to Guild Wars 2 imo. It’s the most popular American sport.

So I don’t believe complexity is the biggest thing holding the game back. The lack of free to play pvp, the lack of marketing, the lack of promoters, the difficulty in observing what’s going on, casting talking about too much micro strategy and not enough macro strat…

I feel like making it as an esport is like playing any high risk / high reward build in Guild Wars 2, you have to do almost everything right in order to effectively make it.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

strifer.7986

and….

gw2 is made for casuals.

The ignorance is real.

gameplay complexity? you mean the unbalanced,uncountered class/skill? well yes that is hard to deal……….

/thread.

Honestly if you believe this isn’t true please point me at an MMO e-sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars ?

(edited by strifer.7986)

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I see what Kensuda is saying, but honestly American Football is a 7 Billion Dollar business and it is similar in complexity to Guild Wars 2 imo. It’s the most popular American sport.

So I don’t believe complexity is the biggest thing holding the game back. The lack of free to play pvp, the lack of marketing, the lack of promoters, the difficulty in observing what’s going on, casting talking about too much micro strategy and not enough macro strat…

I feel like making it as an esport is like playing any high risk / high reward build in Guild Wars 2, you have to do almost everything right in order to effectively make it.

Actually, your comparison falls on it’s face when you start to analyse why football is popular despite it’s suppose complexity (it isn’t to teh viewer but to the player it is).

1. Football is ingrained in our society. Since middle school, most schools have football fields. So people grow up knowing the sport in and out. Look at how some high school teams appear on ESPN. Look at the big deal some reasons in the small towns make of football.

2. the amount of ads and culture warfare has made watching football something that men have to watch.

There are other reason but these the the more common ones. Now compare football (American) with Soccer in the U.S and it makes sense.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Actually, your comparison falls on it’s face when you start to analyse why football is popular despite it’s suppose complexity (it isn’t to teh viewer but to the player it is).

1. Football is ingrained in our society. Since middle school, most schools have football fields. So people grow up knowing the sport in and out. Look at how some high school teams appear on ESPN. Look at the big deal some reasons in the small towns make of football.

2. the amount of ads and culture warfare has made watching football something that men have to watch.

There are other reason but these the the more common ones. Now compare football (American) with Soccer in the U.S and it makes sense.

You’re highlighting things that justify my initial reasoning if you haven’t noticed. Especially when you say it’s not complicated to the viewer, it’s complicated to the player.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

tichorum.2415

and….

gw2 is made for casuals.

The ignorance is real.

gameplay complexity? you mean the unbalanced,uncountered class/skill? well yes that is hard to deal……….

Your ignorance is far more than I had anticipated.

We’re not talking about balance. Complexity of gameplay is not balance.

If you don’t understand what complexity of gameplay is either you should go back to basic English to understand common words such as that, or you should consider a new hobby.

in PvP

strifer.7986

and….

gw2 is made for casuals.

The ignorance is real.

Your ignorance is far more than I had anticipated.

We’re not talking about balance. Complexity of gameplay is not balance.

If you don’t understand what complexity of gameplay is either you should go back to basic English to understand common words such as that, or you should consider a new hobby.

Ofc i was trolling you….
bla bla….gameplay complexity gameplay complexity….its just too vague..its different from game to game…you are the ignorant here….you keep reapting this,insulting without argumenting….so what so hard to you in this game? combo? lol . If you cant understand a game playable by 10year old you should go back to daycare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameplay

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Did you know that the devs claimed the very same thing about GW gvg (complicated, hard to follow unless you’re acquinted with it), and how GW2 was meant to get away from all that?
Well one thing is sure – with all the screen clutter from flashy animations and pets, GW2 is most definitely not easier to follow (in terms of identifying victory/defeat reasons of team clashes on nodes). It actually is impossible to keep track of what’s going on on the field. But hey, at least the team scores is clearly visible!

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

and….

gw2 is made for casuals.

GW2 is deffo not made for casuals , its for the pro minority of a few teams battling for $ dolla , fixed for you

[WM]give us in game ladder