Concerns regarding the direction of sPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Mogget.2104

Mogget.2104

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-mist-champions/

After reading today’s article regarding the new mist champions I found myself with some serious concerns about this particular paragraph:

Turai Ossa will be the default Mist Champion available to all players once Stronghold is released. Grymm Svaard will also be available to all players, though he will need to be earned by completing his reward track in PvP. You will need to own Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ to be able to access the reward track that unlocks Nika. Additional Mist Champions will become available in future live content releases and will also require Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns to unlock them for your account.

It seems to me that sPvP has become less and less of an even playing field for all players as time has progressed. Starting with the introduction of amulets/sigils/runes that cost gold to unlock. Now with HoT we will have an even greater divide with elite specializations and now Mist champions being placed behind various unlocks. As somebody who was drawn to sPvP by the equality of it I’m beginning to wonder, is Anet giving up on the idea of equality in sPvP?

in PvP

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Why have equality when you can have P2W? they make much more money that way!

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

On the fence about this. Lots of players need something to strive for and that has been a long standing complaint Gw2 has struggled to implement. Secondly there is lower incentive for the producers to allocate as many resources to PvP if it doesn’t generate as much Income.

Mostly I have a problem with their method. They have royally F’ed up on sticking to a singular set of principles. First you attract a target audience that is all about equal playing field then you push them away by changing that mentality. If it was a bad choice in the first place too bad, stick to your initial target audience. And especially if you really think the system needs to change do it clearly and completely, not keeping two separate rule sets in the game. Otherwise a slow creep doesn’t feel like it has a descrete end point.

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

The tragedy of MMO PvP is that progression will inevitably draw a larger crowd than equality. As long as the progression is flavor-based over power-based, I don’t have an issue. People don’t seem to want to play games for fun or the thrill of competition anymore, unfortunately (see: all of the XP/progression in basically every type of game, besides maybe RTS. But no one makes RTSes anymore. I bet they would if they could find a progression component to sell.).

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Give me a TDM queue and I won’t care.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in PvP

Posted by: Murmaider.1805

Murmaider.1805

This uhh… I mean I’d be cool with it if I knew that it wouldn’t be bugged and stupid when it releases, and well after its release…

in PvP

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Why have equality when you can have P2W? they make much more money that way!

Indeed, and yet they do not add P2W. Funny how that works, aye?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square