Congrats on the "matchmaking"

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

hihi another ele that got top damage … happend to me yesterday … over 200k healing was not top a DH had more but i did about 30% of the teams damage geting the top score.
What says that about a team ….

in PvP

Posted by: Bazs.1470

Bazs.1470

We’re at the 5th season and you still couldn’t make a good matchmaking system.
Every match I played had 200-300 points of difference between the teams, so we’re back to the old system, where the game puts the good players into one team then they farm the players with lower skill.
Congrats again, dev team, you making me impressed more and more with every season. I guess I’ll quit for this season too.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: drAco.3158

drAco.3158

Thanks for all your tried to do with this broken game but the s5 gonna be the point of no return from many guild and people.

Now we know there is no futur for gw2 as a competitiv spvp game.

HF & GL for the others

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

Nope we are not back … We just started season and player pool has to sort out.
I am 4:4 after 8 games. The losses were a result of chaos spreading at mid match (and one rooky thief ..). I guess we can´t expect to have perfect matching and i don´t know how many matches need to be played till the systems gets it better …

in PvP

Posted by: gloflop.3510

gloflop.3510

Everyone needs roughly 100 matches until he/she is in the “correct” division. This is how the system works. Judging now based on the first impressions is hence unfair.

I hope that the next seasons will to a certain extent base on the previous results in order to mitigate the problems next time.

in PvP

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Gotta love the generation of instant gratification.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

My latest game:

Me (gold ) – dh (bronze) – dh ( bronze) – engi ( bronze ) – ranger (bronze)

hammer dh, owl rangers with lb…ofc blowout match.

For real screw this game ..it’s total garbage, awful balance and horrendous programming

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

My latest game:

For real screw this game ..it’s total garbage, awful balance and horrendous programming

I’m curious how did you know their tiers/Mmr? Did you add them to your friends list to stalk their Mmr? Or find all of them in HotM?

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

[Main account: Arheundel.6451, @Evan feel free to check my results and post screenshots on the forum…if you can]

The first times before this latest match, I added people to my friend list every time after a defeat, none of them was even 600 rating meaning they were all still doing placement rating…but I’m already 1400 rating

This time I’ve asked the guys directly ( forgot to take screenshot ) and one guard said he was bronze , asked him after he decided to shout in map chat : “Hope you’re enjoying the bronze train riding, welcome aboard”..near the end of the blowout match

So..can you git gud when you get players in your team who are 1200 rating points below you? Two whole division below you.

Those who say “git gud” never get a team with a zerk staff ele, core ranger with signet of the hunt and owl pet or similar crap..you never do and the reason why this system hasn’t changed since season 3..it’s unknown

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

[Main account: Arheundel.6451, @Evan feel free to check my results and post screenshots on the forum…if you can]

The first times before this latest match, I added people to my friend list every time after a defeat, none of them was even 600 rating meaning they were all still doing placement rating…but I’m already 1400 rating

What? Pre placement everyone is at 1200. I don’t think it’s possible to have sub 600 rating even if you lost all placement matches.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

What? Pre placement everyone is at 1200. I don’t think it’s possible to have sub 600 rating even if you lost all placement matches.

Everyone isn’t at 1200 unless you’re a new player. They only did a soft reset. And if your placement matches do not go well, you could very well end up starting out at 600 in bronze, just like others can start out in platinum.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

This time I’ve asked the guys directly ( forgot to take screenshot ) and one guard said he was bronze , asked him after he decided to shout in map chat : “Hope you’re enjoying the bronze train riding, welcome aboard”..near the end of the blowout match

So..can you git gud when you get players in your team who are 1200 rating points below you? Two whole division below you.

Those who say “git gud” never get a team with a zerk staff ele, core ranger with signet of the hunt and owl pet or similar crap..you never do and the reason why this system hasn’t changed since season 3..it’s unknown

You can’t see pre placement Mmr they aren’t listed anywhere, I know this because only my friends that have placed show in the guild/friend panel. And as stated the replacement was soft reset at +/- 1200.

in PvP

Posted by: Victim.3910

Victim.3910

Everyone needs roughly 100 matches until he/she is in the “correct” division. This is how the system works. Judging now based on the first impressions is hence unfair.

I hope that the next seasons will to a certain extent base on the previous results in order to mitigate the problems next time.

100 games? Are you kidding me? That’s around 500-1000 hours of play time (Assuming you play out the timer). You are expecting people to do pvp and pvp alone for a month straight in order to start experiencing half-way fair queues.

That aside, its more an issue of how skewed the system is in its balance. If it was easier for these PvE and new players to build classes, we wouldn’t have to “Deal” with them as much. You can follow logic in traits and runes and still come out with a kitten build. Most players that play for some time just take the “Meta” builds because they can’t be kittened to spend the kittened amount of time needed to build a class between trial and error and comparing it to other classes. Not to say either of those are bad or that they shouldn’t exist, but the time required is extreme.

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

unfortunately i fear it realy needs a solid sample of 50+ or even 100 matches, and that should be with your best class+build to be accurate, till the MMR reflects your skill accurate enough. Ranked is not for total casuals i also overshot the 1k matches after one year and main one class 90%. But i don´t considder myself a hardcore Gw2 player, i usually play 1-3 matches a day with some days left out and some like tuesday more so i have an average of about 2-3/day. Thats roughly 30-60 minutes per day playing GW when i add WvW roaming. And yes with that speed i need over a month to reach the 100 matches.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

100 games? Are you kidding me? That’s around 500-1000 hours of play time (Assuming you play out the timer). You are expecting people to do pvp and pvp alone for a month straight in order to start experiencing half-way fair queues.

Mmmh, except that you can do at least 3 matches per hour, so 30h maximum

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

unfortunately i fear it realy needs a solid sample of 50+ or even 100 matches, and that should be with your best class+build to be accurate, till the MMR reflects your skill accurate enough. Ranked is not for total casuals i also overshot the 1k matches after one year and main one class 90%. But i don´t considder myself a hardcore Gw2 player, i usually play 1-3 matches a day with some days left out and some like tuesday more so i have an average of about 2-3/day. Thats roughly 30-60 minutes per day playing GW when i add WvW roaming. And yes with that speed i need over a month to reach the 100 matches.

I feel like the problem isn’t me but it’s other people who don’t pvp a lot and thus have a volatile MMR. Borderline plat/gold games I get signet of shadow thieves and signet of hunt rangers or sometimes I get top 30 players who are +230 MMR above me (eg. mrauls). Before there was no point of reference but now there is for me since the MMR is shown, a +-230 range is way too large for fair games imo

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

team composition is random and skills are largely spread at the moment.
I managed 6:4 in placement landed in lower silver and got 1:2. Most wins losses are triggered by lack of team coordiantion and/or a realy bad player in a team.
Many say carry but as soon as you oponent knows how to play you can´t carry realy bad players/trolls. They don´t know the map well, never heard about rotation, don´t read chat being busy handling ther character (dying annyway in 5 sec from cleave damage) and feed points.

in PvP

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

Team composition is NOT random. With hundreds of players in the game, constantly stuck with the same 4… 4 out of 5 matches.

In the past I’ve ranked Ruby each season….this season… each win only gives me 10 points so it’s unlikely I’ll rank at all. Whereas the leaderboard shows people that have played what, 12 games? Are legendary already.

in PvP

Link.1049

Also, reason we’re seeing all the “heavies” and class stacking is because the classes aren’t balanced. If you want to win, you’ve got to play one of Anet’s preferred or favorite classes. It’s extremely frustrating when you have people playing their main characters that don’t happen to be in Anet’s good graces and then get people telling them they should kill themselves since they didn’t switch to a dragonhunter before the match started. Unfortunately that’s the way it is this season and every season. You’ll have one or two get lucky, but for most, if you want to improve your MMR, play one of the favored classes and your odds will increase.

in PvP

Posted by: albostan.6719

albostan.6719

Comlaining about the game helps all of you xD

I got with 2 accounts on plat and not by letting my team win for me but having skill nothing else…

Why most of you feel like OMG i’m on the wrong rank I should be legendary division I played last season 500 games and got to legendary why not this time?
BTW thx anet for removing the old system where players just had to play 100 of 100 games to get higher division and it required no skill :-)

Now those wannabe high rank players see they got low ranked cuz they played bad but don’t accept it lol.

Just sayin if you are really that good should it be such a big problem to leave bronze, silver, or gold for a good player? I don’t think so cuz when you have bad teammates the enemy team will have atleast same amount of bad players which should lead for a equal good match.

But when I see those players who just want the ascension or grinding and play a profession they ain’t good then complain about why they lose games I just don’t understand those people.

#don’tblamethesystemblameyourself

in PvP

Link.1049

Albostan your logic is flawed. If you’re going to rank, you can’t lose…. at all. A win you gain 10 points… a loss you lose 13-16. If you’ve played 10 matches this season, you’re pretty much stuck where you’re gonna end up. I’ve won four or five in a row and gone up slightly, only to lose that and more when my luck shifts and my team loses three in a row.

in PvP

Posted by: MissCee.1295

MissCee.1295

When I saw the news about removing personal and introduction of top stats I was optimistic. As others have said, to rank an individual based on a team W/L is misguided. What I don’t understand is why the top stats don’t contribute to your rating. If they were, you could play well on a losing team and it would be at least somehow represented in your rating. As is it, you can sweep the board of top stats on a losing team only to see your rating drop.

My toons: Loki Thunderstruck, Loki Livewire,Loki Spellbound, Loki Meanstreak

Find pvp players: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

Yes i would also like that top stats bring 1 point per Stat.
So you loose 15 points but have the top defender stat you will only loose 14 points.
Can be a bit tricky if the W/L points drop below 5 or lower.
An top death count brings you -1 ;-)

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

Can we please get a /gg voting function for spvp? Having to wait for hopeless matches and 4v5s to go to the bitter end makes the game mode less fun without adding any benefit. If 3 or 4 out of the 5 agree to concede there is no point dragging it out. Thanks.

In GW1 we can /forfeit if your whole team does it. I agree we need this for hopeless matches.

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Everyone got a rating reset, at least wait until you place.

That’s a great idea, so basically it is up to total luck during your placement games, whether rng will be on your side and not the other team’s to determine your placement.
The problem with soul destroying games is that they are … soul destroying… a few like that in a supposedly improved system will quickly make me not caring and just tag along not even trying… because.. you know, what’s the point? I actually wanted to have some games before the new horizon stream but I just finished the 2nd game and it wasnt any better… already in a bad mood….

No.1: You care too much about winning in a game that doesn’t affect your real life in any meaningful way

No.2: You are complaining about a system that is pretty much a dice roll which you knew it was before pressing the queue button.

My conclusion is, if you don’t like soloq and you find it frustrating, don’t play soloq.

Where did I mention winning or losing in that comment exactly? I have re-read it 5 times now and all I can see is complains about blowout games. I don’t mind losing 450-500, I DO mind losing 100-500, but than again I DO mind winning 500-100 as well, because it is not an enjoyable game

In that regard I feel your pain. It’s seems to be a situation where you just have to fight to get out of your loop.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

When I saw the news about removing personal and introduction of top stats I was optimistic. As others have said, to rank an individual based on a team W/L is misguided. What I don’t understand is why the top stats don’t contribute to your rating. If they were, you could play well on a losing team and it would be at least somehow represented in your rating. As is it, you can sweep the board of top stats on a losing team only to see your rating drop.

A keyboard turner on a guard can bang his head against the keyboard and get top damage. A mouth breather can rush far and 1v1 there for ages and get the most offense, any heal ele can spam heals in losing teamfight after losing teamfight and get top healing, any thief can hop around the map tagging every kill and get top kills and all the while each of these players can forget about the point of the game and still lose.

B-but they got T O P S T A T S!!!

in PvP

Posted by: havok.1528

havok.1528

I personally think this is the most fair system yet. Not that the old systems were that bad.
Skilled players will still top the league and hopefully medicore players might finally realise no matter what the system they will always be mediocre.

I think some people here were hoping that somehow anet will create a system that would carry their mediocreness to the top.

in PvP

Honest John.4673

I personally think this is the most fair system yet. Not that the old systems were that bad.
Skilled players will still top the league and hopefully medicore players might finally realise no matter what the system they will always be mediocre.

I think some people here were hoping that somehow anet will create a system that would carry their mediocreness to the top.

Hey look man, they got top stats, don’tcha know? That causes them to be good, and more skilled. The highest ranked players certainly don’t get top stats as a side effect, top stats makes you good. :^)

in PvP

Posted by: SaltAndLight.4652

SaltAndLight.4652

I’m having a similar experience. The problem with W/L “skill meter” is that even IF you repeatedly get top stats on your team, and even if you HIGHLY contribute on a match by match basis, you only get up-ranked if the other 3-4 RNG’d members of your team are also good at sPVP. Otherwise you just head toward the 50/50% long term W/L average faster while watching teammates run to a mid with 4 enemy players on it instead of taking the sides. x.o

Its not really your skill that means anything, its your RNG team’s total skill/composition versus the other teams same things.

If it was actually based off your contribution/percentage of team stats, which we know is measured because its shown directly to us every match as a percentage, then it’d be skill based.

^ This.

in PvP

Posted by: Polismassa.6740

Polismassa.6740

Oh man, so for those who don’t know, this “pure MMR” system (as in, you just have a number that represents your rating) is really similar to the one that games like Dota 2 and CS:GO use to determine their matchmaking. In Dota, the number is visible, while in CS it is obscured by tiers, GW2 has a little of both.

In any case, there are a few things that people need to understand about matchmaking of this type.

1) The only real way to “Progress” in rating in this system, is to actually get better at the game. The pips system allowed you to basically get lucky over time and end up progressing just be getting a winstreak that gained a few pips, and hitting a tier that prevented backwards progress. In this system, if you are at the correct rating, then you should not be winning more than 50% of your games, not because the system forces you to, but because you are playing against roughly similarly skilled player and with players of similar skill (sort of, more on that later). If you aren’t actually getting better as a player, why would this system want to increase your rating?

2) Your rating is not a pure measure of your skill MMR in a team based game is, and always will be a measure of your ability to win matches. Just as an example, there is a well known example of a guy in the dota community who is ranked fairly high (5k MMR), despite the fact that many people who know and have played with him say that he has the mechanical skill of a ~3k player. The reason he is rated so highly is because he is very vocal, communicates a lot, stays incredibly positive, and moves around the map very well. Winning a game in GW2 comes down to a lot of fairly complex things, none of which can be easily measured by any “top stats” the only stat that measure how good you are at winning is how often you actually win.

3) You are the only constant factor in all of your matches. I see a lot of people saying “but I get bad teammates all the time, and I can’t carry them all”. Guess what, if that’s the case, you get bad opponents all the time too. Suppose for a moment we pretend that you are the only good player in the game, and every other player is just terrible, every single time you queue up, you get 4 terrible players on your team, and 5 terrible players on the other team, which team should win? The fact is that if you play well, and at or near your rating, there is a 25% percent greater chance for the enemy team to have awful players.

Now, all of this is true, but since the matchmaking pool is fairly small in GW2, we can have anomalies like the guy who said he ended up on a team with 4 bronze players as a gold rank player. This is only a problem if the enemy team didn’t have a similar composition (like 3 bronze players and two silver players) but regardless, matches like that shouldn’t happen.

In general though, i really like the new rating system, it’s a lot more straightforward as a system for rating players and matching them against each other. And as someone said earlier in this thread:

I think people here genuinely aren’t used to having their skill level represented as something tangible and when they find it doesn’t match their own perception of how skilled they are, they get angry.

[IX]

in PvP

Posted by: Shaddix.6942

Shaddix.6942

I want also to congratz anet for all those big changes, lots of people including me and my guild left League of Legends because elo system and decay was bad.None the less, with this so called better system you provided all of our matches (like 90% of the people i’ve talked with) were 50-500 0-500 90-500 , 77 AP rangers teams consist of 4 necros for some reason ???? none of those willing to switch ? lets say 5 out of 40 matches were legit , is this balance for you ? im rank 300 playing with people less than rank 20 **on gold division , i really wish i could congratz you but i already switched to WvW thanks to anet. Keep it up!

(edited by Shaddix.6942)

in PvP

Honest John.4673

im rank 300 playing with people less than 20 on gold

I can’t for the life of me figure out what this sentence means.

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

I am a bit concerned about placement. Following scenario.

Two very good players easily belonging top 250 but propably not top 100.

Player 1 got good placement matches. Going 9:1 landing in top ranks.
Player 2 had bad luck with disconect and bad players (e.g. thief day ^^) going 3:7 landing bronze.

Now player 1 can play 1 match per day. Goes about 50:50 and keeps his rank.
Player to has to fight 500+ upwards to reach the same rank ? (because even being good he can´t carry all)

Can that be ? If yes …..

in PvP

Posted by: masterfan.8375

masterfan.8375

Just had to log out of this. The first 10 games were fun and I went 7/3. Then once the rating hit it was defeat, defeat, win, defeat, defeat. Just like previous seasons, there’s this “screw you wall” where the game just starts putting you into impossible matches. Absolutely no fun to have such poor quality match’s either.

Should have tanked the first 10 games and probably would have had a much more fun season. Now I’m locked into this for months.

The longer the season runs, the better matches will gets. It hasn’t even been 12 hours yet. There are a lot of people that will be going through placement matches for a while, and they don’t have a fully accurate rating yet. This ‘wall’ could just be players getting home from work and school and playing PvP for the first time today.

‘Playing PVP for the first time today’? Are you serious? Those players should start from bronze rating no matter the results in those first 10 matches. How can someone with 5k games + be put with the same players who pvp fist time. Please explain it to me.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Ill be honest, i enjoy this season much more even if i dont make the top 250. Though there is some balance issues with the ability to play certain classes against other classes.

That aside this totally feels like random MMR making. I mean the top players should be facing each other to see who is the best ranked players. I do not know if that happening but with the win/losses i would say no.

So to start the season i was 10-3. Today i logged in and went 3-7 to start. This was all solo que, 1 player from a match we won asked to team up and we went on to win our next 4.

There is obvious build set ups and match ups that are better and then skill comes in but i dont think we can say this is a true leader board since MM is playing a bigger factor.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

I disagree. I think the matching is great. Yes, the first 10 placement matches may be a bit random, but once you fall into your skill level. You’ll slowly and more accurately be placed with players of similar skill.

I think the biggest hurdle is players accepting the visible-numerical skill rating as their actual skill rating. While I finished in legendary the last three seasons, do I think that I’m an actual ‘legendary’ player, no. Some players need to accept that they’re not as great as they think they are.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

Ill be honest, i enjoy this season much more even if i dont make the top 250. Though there is some balance issues with the ability to play certain classes against other classes.

That aside this totally feels like random MMR making. I mean the top players should be facing each other to see who is the best ranked players. I do not know if that happening but with the win/losses i would say no.

So to start the season i was 10-3. Today i logged in and went 3-7 to start. This was all solo que, 1 player from a match we won asked to team up and we went on to win our next 4.

There is obvious build set ups and match ups that are better and then skill comes in but i dont think we can say this is a true leader board since MM is playing a bigger factor.

It is possible that you did really well, so were matched up against others that were doing really well and you just didn’t size up to them and so you’re MMR is being adjusted.

My first 15 games after my initial 10 had my ranking being adjusted by around 30 points per win and 20 points per loss. Almost 40 games in the points are now in the low 20s/ upper teens for a win and low teens for a loss. I figure I’m stabilizing. I’m okay with that. My matches have been entertaining. More data in (i.e. games) the more accurate my ranking.

in PvP

Posted by: azurerogue.9240

azurerogue.9240

I don’t understand how people are so upset that the MMR system is creating lopsided matchups < 48 hours after it was initialized. Any attempt to mathematically model “skill level” in any setting (but especially when trying to model individual skill in a team-based environment) will take time to settle on relatively stable value as a baseline. Of course many matches will be weird until this happens. I, for one, know that I’m likely not actually good enough to maintain a platinum rating but that’s where I am until I get enough games in that my own individual performance / skill level can be sussed out from the “noise” of random variation of the skill of my teammates. That’s how these types of systems work.

Do people just not understand the process? Is that why there’s so much whining this early? People expected the new MMR to immediately create perfectly fair and balanced matches all the time?

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

No, people expected their MMR to be higher than it actually is and they’re experiencing anxiety because current reality (as you said nothing is set in stone yet) isn’t matching their perception of themselves as players.

I might be with them later this season if I drop into low Silver. Right now I’m happy with low Gold and based on the adjustment numbers I’m seeing after a win or loss I’m guessing that is where I’ll stay until I improve or roll my face on the keyboard

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Oh man, so for those who don’t know, this “pure MMR” system (as in, you just have a number that represents your rating) is really similar to the one that games like Dota 2 and CS:GO use to determine their matchmaking. In Dota, the number is visible, while in CS it is obscured by tiers, GW2 has a little of both.

In any case, there are a few things that people need to understand about matchmaking of this type.

1) The only real way to “Progress” in rating in this system, is to actually get better at the game. The pips system allowed you to basically get lucky over time and end up progressing just be getting a winstreak that gained a few pips, and hitting a tier that prevented backwards progress. In this system, if you are at the correct rating, then you should not be winning more than 50% of your games, not because the system forces you to, but because you are playing against roughly similarly skilled player and with players of similar skill (sort of, more on that later). If you aren’t actually getting better as a player, why would this system want to increase your rating?

2) Your rating is not a pure measure of your skill MMR in a team based game is, and always will be a measure of your ability to win matches. Just as an example, there is a well known example of a guy in the dota community who is ranked fairly high (5k MMR), despite the fact that many people who know and have played with him say that he has the mechanical skill of a ~3k player. The reason he is rated so highly is because he is very vocal, communicates a lot, stays incredibly positive, and moves around the map very well. Winning a game in GW2 comes down to a lot of fairly complex things, none of which can be easily measured by any “top stats” the only stat that measure how good you are at winning is how often you actually win.

3) You are the only constant factor in all of your matches. I see a lot of people saying “but I get bad teammates all the time, and I can’t carry them all”. Guess what, if that’s the case, you get bad opponents all the time too. Suppose for a moment we pretend that you are the only good player in the game, and every other player is just terrible, every single time you queue up, you get 4 terrible players on your team, and 5 terrible players on the other team, which team should win? The fact is that if you play well, and at or near your rating, there is a 25% percent greater chance for the enemy team to have awful players.

Now, all of this is true, but since the matchmaking pool is fairly small in GW2, we can have anomalies like the guy who said he ended up on a team with 4 bronze players as a gold rank player. This is only a problem if the enemy team didn’t have a similar composition (like 3 bronze players and two silver players) but regardless, matches like that shouldn’t happen.

In general though, i really like the new rating system, it’s a lot more straightforward as a system for rating players and matching them against each other. And as someone said earlier in this thread:

I think people here genuinely aren’t used to having their skill level represented as something tangible and when they find it doesn’t match their own perception of how skilled they are, they get angry.

Upvote for truth.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

My latest game:

Would be curious to look it up, but your display name has no PvP data associated with it.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

It is possible that you did really well, so were matched up against others that were doing really well and you just didn’t size up to them and so you’re MMR is being adjusted.

My first 15 games after my initial 10 had my ranking being adjusted by around 30 points per win and 20 points per loss. Almost 40 games in the points are now in the low 20s/ upper teens for a win and low teens for a loss. I figure I’m stabilizing. I’m okay with that. My matches have been entertaining. More data in (i.e. games) the more accurate my ranking.

Ohh i have no problem with that. If im were im suppose to be well then awesome im a happy camper.

I threw up my photo because i found it odd. I mean some really close games when i loss and then some not so much when i won. I mean when i was solo queing i accepted some of the games as losses. When i partied with 1 person who was pretty good we won 4 straight.

I just wonder on a few things. For instance why can we not see our team mates ranks or ratings?

No honestly though the season itself is alot more fun then the grind of the PiP system. Im just curious about the set up of Match making.

Edit- Let me better explain myself, my post actually didnt say anything. If you go back to my picture. Before i started winning you will see a ele game i lost on temple 503-390.

In this match my teams comp was 2 eles, 2 necros and a thief. 1 necro capped home and the thief went far. The thief lost a 1 vs 1 to a condi mesmer. We ended up losing mid. The other ele switched to condi mesmer mid matched and that person went far and killed the other mesmer in a 1 vs 1. Later we left the thief to fight a staff dps ele in a 1 vs 1 he ended up losing. At the end of the match we had won trang. I sustained a 1 vs 2 at far for help to come. The thief was in a 2 vs 2 at mid and as i was rotating he was killed. We were probably at 310 and held a 3 cap to 390 before he died.

My question becomes how does MM determine who to put this thief on what team? He was unable to win any 1 vs 1 and couldnt support or even survive in team fights. He was clearly the weakest link.

If we go back to the photo on my warrior in the 15 minute game. Now this one was far less obvious but a key point in the match was the stillness/trang buff. I was engage at a 1 vs 1 on the enemy far, a 2vs 2 at stillness and trang. Well at stillness the 2 enemys had fallen down and 1 team mate went to down to help with the fight. Our DH did not cap the buff and ran to home where there was no one. One enemy was killed down stairs and ran back to the buff and capped it. The DH sat on home and this was the changing point of the match. The points were 1,1 and 0. It then became +2 for them.

How does MM determine the DH here who sat on a point on such a close match. The person who was fighting with the DH by stillness at 2:30 was whispering me to vent.

These are the questions i have for MM.

(edited by kdaddy.5431)

in PvP

Link.1049

The new system has a fatal flaw the old system had. It punishes and rewards people based on their role. Warriors & Guardians can face tank and deal tons of damage, so this system makes it appear they “contributed” more even if they are off in a corner. A thief can be doing his role of capping and decapping, and plus one’ing where there’s opportunity, but has “contributed” less even if his actions save the game. Or he can be in the thick of things dropping people left and right and letting the tanks finish them as if impact strike and shadowstep are on cooldown than a peg is suicide. An elementalist can tank up and camp a point and defend, yet that doesn’t show as part of their “contribution”. If you lose because your team gave up, yet you fought your bum off and got 75-80% of your teams stats, you still get punished quite harshly because you got an unfortunate match up. Until these things are addressed, PvP is always going to be the same. Your rank is only minimally attached to your skill because in reality you’re only 1/5 of a team in every match. That in mind, my goals for this season are adjusted. Not gonna worry about the icon next to my nametag, instead I’m just gonna get my rewards chests (tons of dyes, and one of them is 20g!). Beyond that, I’m gonna ignore the leaderboard because it doesn’t mean diddly. For future seasons the question is how can they better calculate contributions based on what each class is geared towards.

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

Me 10 first match 8 wins. Often very hard matches and close score.
Now 33 matches…11 wins.
I went from Platinum to silver on full loose streak.
All my teamates are falling like flies and I am always outnumbered everywhere I go.
I win my duels I +1 and carry on kills and revive…but nothing seems sufficient.
I heard some of them telling they were on their third match…wtf
I play with guys with not even a rank….
This Season is the most horrible and frustrating experience I had…and by far. Worst season ever so far.

(edited by Kicast.1459)

in PvP

Posted by: Klypto.1703

Klypto.1703

Lol the skill rating now is determined by ones ability to faceroll condition spam at your enemy team. I hear razer will come up with a keyboard that can wrap it around your head so you can pvp in your sleep.

in PvP

Posted by: Lilyanna.9361

Lilyanna.9361

My issue is at the end of the day, you guys just promoted people to not PVP but to farm in a PVP-esque setting. Because I was in high sapphire going to get into ruby last season (couldn’t get the last week in), but this season you are telling me I have the equivalent skills of an amber person getting into emerald? How is that fair, especially when I have worked myself out for all of -your- seasons. This system is a slap to my face, completely throwing my efforts out the window.

At the end of the day, no one is really going to -try-. They are in it for the gold and rewards and you know it. My icon is telling me my skills are crappy (even though I’ve been playing this game for a year to slowly improve, practicing 1v1, learning how to rotate, bunker etc.) but because brand new spanking people entering in to simply farm, or people suddenly gaining the idea of: ’Oh I do not have to win, I am getting my chests either way. Yay! 20g, transmutes, ascended shards, and league tickets for me!"

-You- are planting this idea and people in lower tier, or heck even in gold are not going to put there one hundred into it. You took away the effort, and simply put in -this-. Honestly, I don’t care about the classes, and I don’t care about the MMR, I care about the fact -I- am getting punished because knowing even when me and my duo partner try are very hardest to make a difference in a game, we cannot carry. We cannot rely on Rev do be that much needed dps to take out the raging heal bots or boon bots that are springing around. We cannot go two supports on a team only on risking there may be a third, we cannot go glass cannon in fear there will not be enough support to keep our team alive. So what -can- we do? Pray that all that time we had practicing together pays off somehow down the road?

I’m not looking for ascended gear to be thrown at me, because I can get that in PVE. I want people to actually care and try, to actually have it feel like PVP again like in the old system. Let me be stuck in sapphire until I earn the skills to reach Ruby, but do not have me stare at pointless numbers saying that my skill is equivalent to lower emerald when I know and can admit I worked and practiced for many months.

P.S. This is coming from someone who used to be in gold and got dropped into silver not even a day later because of bad matchups. I guess I am bad I suppose?

/rantover

(edited by Lilyanna.9361)

in PvP

Honest John.4673

At the end of the day, no one is really going to -try-. They are in it for the gold and rewards and you know it.

Didn’t read the rest of your post after this. It’s like you can’t possibly comprehend the attitude towards the game of someone trying to be competitive has. Like that’s a good thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Lilyanna.9361

Lilyanna.9361

At the end of the day, no one is really going to -try-. They are in it for the gold and rewards and you know it.

Didn’t read the rest of your post after this. It’s like you can’t possibly comprehend the attitude towards the game of someone trying to be competitive has. Like that’s a good thing.

How am I not comprehending this?
How is this benefiting anyone?
How are people truly being competitive if they know even if they lose they are still getting reward?
Having a competitive attitude is wanting to -be good- at whatever class or classes you pick up?
Allowing this idea of: “Meh, so what if I lose, I’m still getting the good stuff?”
What am I missing exactly?
I am not here to whine or argue, I am here to get answers because this is simply not adding up anymore.
If you wish to give me a legit answer or not, fine, that is your choice, no skin off of my teeth, but this does not simply add up.
But hey, I don’t blame you, I’m sure you do not take the time to read many other things as well.

in PvP

Posted by: pyrocyborg.4162

pyrocyborg.4162

Personnally, I had a bad streak, and it wasn’t really my fault (well, maybe I wasn’t at the top of my game in one match ou of 10…).

In 7 matches out of the 10 required for ranking, we were a teammate short for at least half the match. Plus, we always had 1 or 2 thieves running around and getting rampaged in a matter of seconds…

Result? I’m in a abysmal Bronze tier even if I was in the top 10% PvPers in WoW, Skyforge and many other games I played the last couple of years. Such a low personnal rating doesn’t represent my “subjective” skill level at all, but I’ll play along and move my way up: Everyone that got caught in a losing streak plagued with D/C should do the same instead of criticizing the system which, while imperfect, should do the job. After a lot of games, it should round up as you’re the only constant: if you’re good enough, you’re going to win more often than not.

Will it takes more games for a Bronze player to reach the higher leagues than someone who was lucky enough in his ranking matches? Sure, but it’s should not require more work than doing your usual few dailies PvP games, unless you really care about being in the Top 250.

Guys and gals : just play and do your best everytime!

(edited by pyrocyborg.4162)

in PvP

Honest John.4673

How am I not comprehending this?
How is this benefiting anyone?
How are people truly being competitive if they know even if they lose they are still getting reward?
Having a competitive attitude is wanting to -be good- at whatever class or classes you pick up?
Allowing this idea of: “Meh, so what if I lose, I’m still getting the good stuff?”
What am I missing exactly?
I am not here to whine or argue, I am here to get answers because this is simply not adding up anymore.
If you wish to give me a legit answer or not, fine, that is your choice, no skin off of my teeth, but this does not simply add up.
But hey, I don’t blame you, I’m sure you do not take the time to read many other things as well.

You are not comprehending this because you can’t figure out that people play for more than just rewards.

This system benefits people who wanted to see their actual MMR to see where they stand. A lot of people are happy about this and this alone.

People are still being competitive because they do not care for material rewards. If I lose my rating drops, I want to play again to win more to get it back up and higher than before. I don’t even look at the rewards. Bet you didn’t know people did that.

Yes, having a competitive attitude is wanting to win no matter what.

You’re the only one allowing the idea of “Meh, so what if I lose, I’m still getting the good stuff?” I have not nor will I ever think like that, and the people who do get what they deserve.

Your missing that people don’t care about consolation prizes and will play to win to increase their rating and for that reason only.