Continued Account Sharing Investigations

in PvP

Posted by: Ben Phongluangtham

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

Next

We’ve identified additional accounts of players who were involved in account sharing and match manipulation.

We’ve given them dishonor for the remaining season for now. Our investigation is still underway, so additional action may be taken later, should we determine it appropriate.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

GW2, where people can exploit and cheat for seasons and years and you only get dishonor for couple weeks, if even. So ruining game for hundreds of players is punished less than some guy verbally harassing roleplayers in DR. What a joke.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Kaga.7629

Kaga.7629

So you’ve found additional people who do that. ( the whole abjured paid to play other people’s acct thing smells a jackpot for this)

but now, What about the bots ?

I’ve posted a huge thread on it ( bot array post), and i think some kind of response on the whole botting phenomenon this season would help cool tempers. After all, the bot problem only became real when pvp loot went participation-based ( which is relatively recent).

—Kaga Konikora (aka ze evil frostkeep defense director)
Beware, for Commander Kaga farms j00, ktrainer!
r.i.p [iLL] Maguuma

in PvP

Posted by: Potato.2567

Potato.2567

Can we have a redo of the monthly or something? I would’ve gotten like 3rd/4th place but we faced The Abjured first round because they were playing on low QP random accounts.

RIP Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

As long as your punishments continue to be a slap on the wrist, people will continue to cheat your easy to cheat system.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

in PvP

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Dishonor only? For shame, Anet.
First Monthly of the Automated Tournaments been cheated already by top NA pvp team and you still just giving out dishonor like they even care about that punishment.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in PvP

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Yes I’m sure these few weeks will be a time of reflection and learning for those hit by it. /s

in PvP

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

GW2, where people can exploit and cheat for seasons and years and you only get dishonor for couple weeks, if even. So ruining game for hundreds of players is punished less than some guy verbally harassing roleplayers in DR. What a joke.

Verbally abusing people is just as bad or worse.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

You can at least block player so you will never see chat from them again. You cannot remove exploiters/cheaters/griefers from your matches. We all know who those ppl are, it is always the same guys. Some of them have been cheating/exploiting for years, openly, nothing was done. By giving light punishment like this Anet gives a sign that it is ok to exploit.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Kadj.6725

Kadj.6725

We’ve given them dishonor for the remaining season for now. Our investigation is still underway, so additional action may be taken later, should we determine it appropriate.

Those of you acting like dishonor will be the only punishment are quite ridiculous. This is basically saying “there’s enough evidence to take action, but not yet enough evidence to take drastic action. we’re working on that.”

I’m not entirely sure what additional evidence they’d need or be able to get beyond a suddenly identical IP address(I don’t think anything legally has been done wrong so there’s no way to legally access bank accounts) and completely random players suddenly becoming friends and sweeping the tournament, but I can imagine them needing to form an internal committee to decide what the punishment should be for both sides of each transaction – and, if everyone is banned, what to do about the fact that nobody technically won the tournament.

in PvP

Posted by: TalleFjanten.7159

TalleFjanten.7159

This automated tournament is the biggest joke ever, lets increase rewards for a dead gamemode none cares about. The ones who tryard do whatever they can to manipulate the system. I got permabanned for saying aloha snackbar in mapchat and these people only get dishonor? seriously anet

All the proof is there stop sugarcoating it. Also remove that obnoxious crown. Crown for what? win 3 matches? how about i get a crown for killing 250k players in wvw, thats more of an achievment.

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

You can at least block player so you will never see chat from them again. You cannot remove exploiters/cheaters/griefers from your matches. We all know who those ppl are, it is always the same guys. Some of them have been cheating/exploiting for years, openly, nothing was done. By giving light punishment like this Anet gives a sign that it is ok to exploit.

Yes but verbal abuse is an actual crime in many countries depending on what is said under discrimination laws. Match manipulating on a video game isn’t

Not saying these guys shouldn’t be banned or anything just explaining the difference between why verbal abuse is considered worse.

If this whole thing involved $400 sums then the whole account sharing is going to get very complicated and messy.

in PvP

Posted by: Addiction.9685

Addiction.9685

Why would someone risk getting their account permanently banned, for such a silly thing as a monthly tournament.

in PvP

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

I’d like to know how far the accounts got in previous daily tournies that won todays monthly AT. Considering I’ve never seen any of those players before and having them possibly never win a finals in a daily AT to then winning the monthly would seem super sketchy and should be further proof for Anet that they paid for it.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

(edited by Aitadis.8269)

in PvP

Posted by: Ziggityzog.7389

Ziggityzog.7389

Rip gw2 pvp after season 4. Anet just wants money they don’t actually care about anything fair with the player base. As long as they get money from the gem store all is good.

So it will be little wrist slaps like it has been for the pet players of anet. A Dishonor can be laughed at but a perma ban means you are not coming back and if at least the time spent on your account is no more after it’s deleted plus rewards.

Doing something in a “Video game” to give yourself a advantage like match manipultion is quite sad.

lol’ing at thos who use broken builds and claim to be good since 2005.

|||Necro the masterclass very few know about.|||

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Blizzard has straight up banned people for match-fixing. But here in GW2 world, it’s apparently worth getting dishonor for two weeks because the person can make alts and he will simply play other people’s account. Can’t blame them. It’s the only way to make money on this game and they couldn’t care less.

If that’s all there is to it.. I’ll gladly get some one out of Bronze tier and into Platinum for 100 Dave and Buster’s tokens.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

Why would someone risk getting their account permanently banned, for such a silly thing as a monthly tournament.

because a gw2 act is ~$30 and being paid $400 is substantially larger than $30.

I am a teef
:)

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Blizzard has straight up banned people for match-fixing. But here in GW2 world, it’s apparently worth getting dishonor for two weeks because the person can make alts and he will simply play other people’s account. Can’t blame them. It’s the only way to make money on this game and they couldn’t care less.

Pro players have been proven to be exploiting in pvp before and anet have done nothing even though if it was a lesser player they would have been banned.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Why not give the good players a way to make money at the game. No one watches streams and there is no pro league. I have no issue with people paying to get pvp achievements.

in PvP

Posted by: Potato.2567

Potato.2567

Also can we just give these players permanent dishonor. Several of them were banned in both Season 5 AND Season 7, they aren’t going to reform when the only thing they care about in this game is just making profit off of boosting.

RIP Warrior

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

People could just try to get good enough to beat them…nah that is silly talk.

in PvP

Posted by: Bergamont.2497

Bergamont.2497

No one would care if they did it on their mains, that would be fine.

It’s against TOS what they did, now we’re just waiting for action from anet.

*edit typo

(edited by Bergamont.2497)

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

… They beat Jeff’s team 450-400 at timer… It’s not like the matches weren’t close…

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

For real if someone cheats on a monthly perma ban them. They ruined the experience for ppl who were w8ingfor this for weeks now.

As for normal ranked ques im ok with a whole season dishonor once. As long as these ppl’s ip adress and acounts remain in a black list ofc so the moment they try any shady practice in future seasons they get perma banned (you never know someone might learn his lesson the first time).

Whers anet of 2012 ;-;

in PvP

Posted by: Skittledness.5106

Skittledness.5106

it was scummy and they knocked all out of decent teams that deserved higher rewards by knocking them out earlier than they shouldve in the tournament by a combination of doing the minimum qp in order to knock out higher seated teams and also by the unexpected factor of unrecognizable pvers playing on a top tier level and getting the jump on people.

Obviously the fact that they won should be enough evidence for everyone to agree that it was Abj.
But the “solid” evidence youll need to actually take action is up to you after repeated offenders continue to make a mock out of you.

Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie

in PvP

Posted by: Kadj.6725

Kadj.6725

The real thing that bothers me is nobody else got paid to play the monthly, and it was not a reward. And if it was $400, that’s a lot of money! Putting aside the TOS violation for a moment, nobody cares that it was a fair fight, or a good match, or whatever. I don’t even particularly care that the seeding was altered by this because of QP because the eventual matchup should have happened anyway and if this were a healthy pvp scene nobody should have been playing differently just because there were new faces. No, Abj got to profit off of the game in a way that nobody else had available to them, and because it’s an external transaction, there is no rolling back. That’s done, they have profited off of a game meant to be a complete money sink, and if drastic measures are not taken, they’ll do it again because ironically, the equal-chance concept of gw2 pvp is the most exploitable aspect to it. You don’t even need to verify as human to play the game, much less grind for gear; you get the the game + expansion, you’re on even footing.

All it takes is one proxy to mask your trail, and that’s downright trivial with $400 in your pocket.

So when I say drastic, I mean if someone’s playing from a suspicious new location/ip/computer? They don’t get to participate.

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

lol and you see top player in OW are perma banned and removed from team just because he intentionally throw games in ranked soloq

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

holy kitten anet ban them already. by accepting that cash they are stealing your green. that is money that you could have gotten a cut of and you have a user agreement that (probably) says users will not steal from you and boy howdy did they kittening break that. git. them. gone. or forever be pushed around by your user base. who even cares how good they are at the game, they just cost you more than they made you by streaming for 4 years or whatever.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

The people who got their undeserved titles and stuff need their accounts permanently banned. I mean if you guys just ban them temporarily from the season that just gives away the message that cheating is OK and the repercussions are minimal.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Little Howl.5231

Little Howl.5231

There are so few players in PvP at this tier that they wont ban these accounts. I think their business $$$ is hurting.

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

To be honest, it’s probably fun for them and is the reason they do it, to get a cheap laugh.

It’s unfun for the people watching though.

I know, I know, “it’s just a game I can’t take it serious is why we troll” and I’m not saying top players have more responsibility than the rest of us to play clean. It just makes you go, “really guys?” and reaffirm your maturity.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

We’ve identified additional accounts of players who were involved in account sharing and match manipulation.

What type of pathetic punishment is this? No wonder people don’t take PvP serious when you people don’t protect the integrity of your game and game mode.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

This is such an underwhelming decision from you guys. These guys didn’t just break the ToS of your game. They are also ruining NA PvP for everyone else. Its people like this that keep GW2 from having a real competitive scene, and everyone knows that Anet wishes that GW2 had one. So you need to take real actions against these accounts, and you need to change the system so that this can’t happen as easily in the future. NA PvP will always be nothing more than a joke if you don’t start taking real action against these players

in PvP

Ziggityzog.7389

There are so few players in PvP at this tier that they wont ban these accounts. I think their business $$$ is hurting.

Bingo $$ over player happiness is what it’s about with anet.

Anet does what anet does to make money, it doesn’t care if there is a toxic pvp situation with basement dweller players ruining fun for others. As long as their gems are bought for a shiny new glider or harvest tools all is good.

Let the toxic players in a video game do their thing since anet wont go after them. Either join unranked where the fun is or try some different pvp. Nothing will change here with toxic “Top” lol players. There will just be some more light wrist slapping.

in PvP

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

it was scummy and they knocked all out of decent teams that deserved higher rewards by knocking them out earlier than they shouldve in the tournament by a combination of doing the minimum qp in order to knock out higher seated teams and also by the unexpected factor of unrecognizable pvers playing on a top tier level and getting the jump on people.

Obviously the fact that they won should be enough evidence for everyone to agree that it was Abj.
But the “solid” evidence youll need to actually take action is up to you after repeated offenders continue to make a mock out of you.

I feel like the worse part is them breaking the TOS via act sharing, AND the fact that a lot of them were dishonored for months after match manipulating in s5/6/7.

To me, it’s common sense that if you get banned for an entire season that you shouldn’t be able to participate in and pvp events during that ban. The fact that they not only participated in the tourny, but also profited immensely from it by breaking TOS is perma-ban worthy at the very least. A good roll-back on the titles and rewards is also in store, but we all know what anet is going to do.

Anet: “You boys did a very bad thing to our game. You ripped out the integrity of our pvp events, made other players quit, made us look foolish, and cost us money. For that, we’re going to give you a few weeks of dishonor to really think about what you did. We hope you can think about what happened and change your behavior in the future.”

It’s a joke. No, it’s a literal meme.

Can someone please make a meme for me? Someone, please go make a meme about this.

I am a teef
:)

in PvP

Posted by: Bergamont.2497

Bergamont.2497

That is exactly it, ANET is more than likely going to do what they did in the past to repeat offenders. Give them dishonor till the end of the season and tell them not to do it again. Meanwhile they participate in pvp on alt accounts while profiting through irl $ and in game items/currency. When the next season comes around they will repeat the same actions. Not to mention they are not locked out of the rest of the game on their dishonored accounts during this time, so they can still wvw and pve.

Meanwhile the pvp community in NA shrinks further due to their actions, they ruin the games and the fun of countless others and diminish the value of rewards, titles and the leaderboard.

In some cases permabans are warranted, how many times is enough for ANET to say enough is enough? They are doing more damage to the community than good, it’s time to cut ties with them and all their alt and tainted accounts.

If they want back in, they can buy a brand new copy of the game, chances are they’ll just use someone elses account; if they repeat the actions on the new account, you can remove that one to if you find out it’s a repeat offender in the future.

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

This is such an underwhelming decision from you guys. These guys didn’t just break the ToS of your game. They are also ruining NA PvP for everyone else. Its people like this that keep GW2 from having a real competitive scene, and everyone knows that Anet wishes that GW2 had one. So you need to take real actions against these accounts, and you need to change the system so that this can’t happen as easily in the future. NA PvP will always be nothing more than a joke if you don’t start taking real action against these players

Somewhat ironic that you argue for a competitive scene by wanting to ban the best players. The reality is anyone that plays a game enough to win the monthly is investing a huge amount of time into it. That same time investment in other games would allow someone to profit from it. If they would rather sell out and win for another player so what?

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

You know what I would like to see instead? All of the below:

• All characters on all accounts that were involved have all of their PvP related titles and items (meaning the ascension and all PvP asc armor, finishers, everything) stripped from the account.
  • Refund all gold spent on buying PvP gear (amulets, sigils, runes). Then lock those accounts out from ever using any of that gear again. Force them to use the free kitten.
  • Give all characters on all accounts involved a permanent title that they can never unequip that tells everyone in the game that they cheated. Make it noticeable, uppercase, maybe a bigger font. Shame the kitten out of them.

Make it so that people don’t want to cheat like this to win.

in PvP

Ziggityzog.7389

Somewhat ironic that you argue for a competitive scene by wanting to ban the best players. The reality is anyone that plays a game enough to win the monthly is investing a huge amount of time into it. That same time investment in other games would allow someone to profit from it. If they would rather sell out and win for another player so what?

“Best” lol just lol. I know peeps that could own them easy 1v1. The only reason some pug type players are good is because they have 4 other people to save them and they play over voice chat. Any random team in there had no chance even if they could take any of them 1v1 due to the map style your hurt without voice. Conq and dancing around / in circles requires quick voice chat over txt chat to make it easier to coordinate.

You take away voice chat and those lil puggies who “Won” are ez bait. That’ also why conq is non competitive unless both teams are miced.

(edited by Ziggityzog.7389)

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

“Best” lol just lol. I know peeps that could own them easy 1v1. The only reason some pug type players are good is because they have 4 other people to save them and they play over voice chat. Any random team in there had no chance even if they could take any of them 1v1 due to the map style your hurt without voice. Conq and dancing around / in circles requires quick voice chat over txt chat to make it easier to coordinate.

You take away voice chat and those lil puggies who “Won” are ez bait. That’ also why conq is non competitive unless both teams are miced.

You really think that the team that won was the only one in voice chat? People had a whole month to get ready for it and they couldn’t get together a discord channel? I could see getting upset of people were paid to lose or got denial of service attacked. However, the bottom line is they won. If the game mode was pure 1v1, I’m sure they would run a different build and still win.

in PvP

Posted by: rotsono.9176

rotsono.9176

Why would someone invest so much time and play monthly without TS or something like that and put his own team on a disadventage?
That sounds really stupid to me.
Are there really “Teams” that are just a bunch of random players from the LFG ?

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

thanks anet

what about match bribing? one solution may be to disable /w and mail during ranked.

what about afks? one solution may be to give dishonor for it (at least 10 min) after a certain duration (possibly 1 min).

what about smurfing? one solution may be to take the lesser of the duos mmr.

what about complete noobs to pvp making organized play in ranked impossible? one solution may be to change the minimum rank from 20 to 40.

cheers

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

1v1 fite meh m9. For real if your mates cant win the match the way is supposed to be played then dont even bother bringing them up.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. Maybe matches will improve.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Your attitude can be summed up as “They’re nobles, they can do what they want.” I can’t say exactly what I think of that on this forum.

Let’s just say; “I profoundly disagree. Further, history will back my assertion that views similar to that one have resulted in extreme corruption and social breakdown.”

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

Your attitude can be summed up as “They’re nobles, they can do what they want.” I can’t say exactly what I think of that on this forum.

Let’s just say; “I profoundly disagree. Further, history will back my assertion that views similar to that one have resulted in extreme corruption and social breakdown.”

I believe the best players should win. There were no DCs. So they played an alt account, or maybe someone else’s, who cares. Why not provide a legitimate way for them to make money. Could allow guilds sponsor players like a sports club. Allegedly guilds are willing to pay for it. Give the guild access to the champion box as a reward.

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

If the game mode was pure 1v1, I’m sure they would run a different build and still win.

So they would just roll mesmer/thief/druid and it would be either an endless fight, or whoever resets fights better.
1v1 Is not a proper way to test one’s skill. I once had a build that was purely build for 1v1 and I could easily take anyone except mesmers (it was build on retaliation damage and shatters don’t link damage to the mesmer). It is nice because it deals damage where I can play defensively. It especially counters warriors and druids who pop endure pain/signet and go all out on dps. Retal damage goes through damage immunities.
But if I had to go into team fights, that build was not enough to deal with all at once (though it has 2v1 potential).
Conquest is a team mode, it is meant to be played as a team and cheating or not, you can’t evaluate someone’s overall skill on his or her 1v1 capabilities.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in PvP

Posted by: Skittledness.5106

Skittledness.5106

I’m very in touch with the playerbase in NA and I only know of 2 people who have received “dishonor” for the remainder of the season who have already received multiple temp bans.Arena pretends it’s doing ban waves when ik Lora of people who are blatantly match fixing and nope…nothing.They only pretend on here they’re doing something to ease tensions and relations.Look at the last monthly at for example everyone knows that those players were not who they said there were and were infact the #1 team NA.Whatever they do now sets a precedent or the future,and whether or not they’ll simply just take away the rewards from the boosted account or punish the perprators who sold them the win in the first place

Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

So basically ANET just sent a huge message to cheaters. “go ahead and cheat boys and girls, the worse thing that can happen is a temp ban for the season.”

yeah yeah they might do something else but it should be done NOW not later. They already know the accounts that cheated. What are they waiting for?

Anyway i dunno why i bother i havent played ranked (just unranked for me ) since season 5 ended. I guess im hoping ranked pvp can be fixed somehow. I used to love pvp.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Tatsuya.9071

Tatsuya.9071

Even if anet ban them. They already got paid $400 each. That’s $2000 for some useless stuff no one cares about in game and these PvErs actually paid for it. Let that sink in. And they’re really stupid for thinking they can get away with cheating in the first ever monthly AT. Just show how pathetic NA is. Boosting accts? Sure you may get away with. But blatantly cheating in a dead game mode where everyone already know exactly how you play is just next level stupidity. No one gonna believe 5 random PvErs from out of no where can beat a 4/5 ex-ESL team. That’s just not possible with the current skills gap. And I don’t think they care neither, they already got paid so NO REFUND BOYS