Courtyard...

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

My least favorite PvP map by far. The strategy is 1.) stay with your zerg 2.) try not to go down 3.) if team member goes down try to res 4.) if you die be caredul when you re-spawn to not walk into the enemy zerg. 5.) rejoin your zerg ASAP and repeat.

Of all the sPvP maps this one seems to have the most issues with lag. The overall design which funnels specific combat scenarios is very annoying. I appreciate the thinking when it was released. ArenaNet wanted to give us something new, but it really is a horrible map that, more often than not is impacted by the lag to the point that the outcome will impacted by close matches. For that reason I think it should be removed or fixed.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

I love courtyard, it is a nice change of pace from time to time. I vote for it every time I get the chance but still don’t get it too often.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Midi.8359

Midi.8359

I’ve thought of courtyard as a necessary evil.

If we didn’t have courtyard, everybody and their mother would be asking for a team deathmatch mode. Likely thinking how smart they are for suggesting such an obvious feature/map.

But now we do have it, and now nearly nobody wants it.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I personally love courtyard, but I think the problems are:

• it is a different game mode than conquest, and as such needs different builds. For example, the “roamer” builds of conquest do not work nearly as well in courtyard.
  • it favors heavily the organized teams (more than conquest i think)
  • as a result of both previous factors, this map can create matches which are VERY unbalanced.

Saying that nobody wants courtyard is very exaggerated, but it is a slightly different target group. Now that the devs introduced a checkbox for conquest or stronghold, they may as well add one for “team death match”. I really believe that the reason which pushed separating conquest from stronghold hold true for courtyard too!

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Ive never played more courtyard than when I played in the EU.

Euros love themselves some courtyard for some reason

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

I like it (especially when I play necro wells): it’s gorgeous and it’s a welcome change from conquest. 4v4 or 3v3 would probably be more suited.

A hotjoin version of this map should be playable while waiting in queue. In fact, add this map and capricorn to hotjoin and let us access hotjoin while waiting, that would be perfect.

By the way, hotjoin could be split in 2+ brackets: below rank 20 for practice, and above for entertainment.

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

(edited by Ara.4569)

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Courtyard’s biggest weakness is that it was designed for 2v2 or 3v3, then randomly thrown into a 5v5 mode. If it had its own queue to support the right team-size you would see a LOT less QQ.

5v5 death-match, as played currently in courtyard, would work better in a more fitting map. Perhaps we will see some interesting developments with Guild Hall arenas that allow people to experiment.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Vieteriukko.6075

Vieteriukko.6075

This map is an unfortunate surprise when it pops but on the other hand if we had the checkbox for TDM queue I could imagine doing some tests there voluntarily ocassionaly.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Courtyard is actually my favorite map atm. I cant remember the last time i died on my staff ele in there. I run into a zerg drop some burns and mist form out and press that 5 skill on my ele and watch people drop since alot of people think that zerging is all you can do in there. Theres alot to couryard but many people get rolled since they play builds they only practice in 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 situations.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

When people complain about Courtyard yet it’s the only TRUE actual legit PvP map in the entire game aka no lame PvE stuff. Wot.

I wish there were more maps like CY, just not so unwaveringly clustered/tiny spaced.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

it’s very fun as a premade on coms when you run a comp with shout Warr, shout guard, well necro etc. it’s like wvw zerg fights pre stability changes. dammnn earthshaker in a zerg was such a good feeling.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Ihales.3820

Ihales.3820

Now that the devs introduced a checkbox for conquest or stronghold, they may as well add one for “team death match”. I really believe that the reason which pushed separating conquest from stronghold hold true for courtyard too!

^This. There are many people who wants to play TDM only, so let them have their fun. Both groups profit. Those who dislike it don’t have to play it and don’t have to play with people who are not interested in conquest/stronghold. Those who like don’t have to play modes they dislike.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I stopped doing unranked because I can’t guarantee Courtyard. TDM mode and build savers wanted!! Some players need to to l2p.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Did OP just describe WvW zerging? >.>

I don’t mind Courtyard, it’s Skyhammer I find incredibly annoying beyond imagination.

But w.e, Courtyard needs to be 2v2 or 3v3 TDM with rounds inplemented. Time limit, 5m each round.
/esports

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

When people complain about Courtyard yet it’s the only TRUE actual legit PvP map in the entire game aka no lame PvE stuff. Wot.

I wish there were more maps like CY, just not so unwaveringly clustered/tiny spaced.

It is no more PvP than anything else, the ‘v’ stands for ‘versus’, that is something that is not exclusive to direct combat against another player. Beyond that it is “lame PvE stuff” and objectives that increase the skill cap, all courtyard is, is a teamfight, which you get on most PvP modes, you just get other stuff aswell that increase the skill cap with things like more map awareness, rotations, etc.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Courtyard’s biggest weakness is that it was designed for 2v2 or 3v3, then randomly thrown into a 5v5 mode. If it had its own queue to support the right team-size you would see a LOT less QQ.

I watched the final of a 2v2 tourney on Courtyard the other day, it was a mes + engy vs warrior + ele, it was incredibly boring as it went on forever as all that happened was if the mes/engy got in trouble or failed to burst, they would stealth reset and run round the map (they even got out of combat twice) until their cooldowns were up again, the war + ele would do much the same thing if they got trouble, no stealth, but just run round and round until their super sustain had healed them up again, and cooldowns were off.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

Courtyard...

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

I watched the final of a 2v2 tourney the other day, it was a mes + engy vs warrior + ele, it was incredibly boring as it went on forever as all that happened was if the mes/engy got in trouble or failed to burst, they would stealth reset and run round the map (they even got out of combat twice) until their cooldowns were up again, the war + ele would do much the same thing if they got trouble, no stealth, but just run round and round until their super sustain had healed them up again, and cooldowns were off.

I agree that Courtyard isn’t the right map size for a 2v2 or 3v3. That said, add a time limit of 5m for the gamemode (just like other MMO’s) and it’s good to go.

By the way, a game like that which shall not be named utilizing a Healer + glass DPS comp… has to be the most boring, unskilled, dumbed down game I have ever played. It was nothing but kiting, chasing, and waiting for CDs to come back up.

Couldn’t pull off that 4th CC lock burst combo attempt?Wait 30s to do that exact same combo move, yet again.

GW2 is nothing like those other 2v2 or 3v3 boring TDM MMOs and i’m forever thankful.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

Templates would make Courtyard bearable.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Industry.9362

Industry.9362

5v5 death-match, as played currently in courtyard, would work better in a more fitting map. Perhaps we will see some interesting developments with Guild Hall arenas that allow people to experiment.

I’d agree with that, if they wanted to keep the 5v5 though they could add a mechanic to the map that still keeps the spirit of team deathmatch. If any of you have played Warhammer Online it had a really great map called Temple of Mourkain. Premise was a team deathmatch but there was an orb. If you help the orb you took increased damage. If you got a kill holding the orb you gained increased points, if you died holding the orb you were worth more points.

One of the biggest problems with Courtyard is that most teams just zerg around mindlessly and don’t focus their attacks, orb mechanic could help focus even the dumbest of players and the spirit of deathmatch is alive since the objective still remains as “kill the opposing team”

Or just give it a separate queue, add a few more maps and bump teamsize down to 3.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

I stopped doing unranked because I can’t guarantee Courtyard. TDM mode and build savers wanted!! Some players need to to l2p.

This x1000. I use to learn new classes in unranked until I kept getting sky hammer and courtyard over and over. So I just go ranked after a a little time in one of those public join servers

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I love death match, but not when I’m built for conquest. Give courtyard a separate queue or let us save build templates.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

My least favorite PvP map by far. The strategy is 1.) stay with your zerg 2.) try not to go down 3.) if team member goes down try to res 4.) if you die be caredul when you re-spawn to not walk into the enemy zerg. 5.) rejoin your zerg ASAP and repeat.

Of all the sPvP maps this one seems to have the most issues with lag. The overall design which funnels specific combat scenarios is very annoying. I appreciate the thinking when it was released. ArenaNet wanted to give us something new, but it really is a horrible map that, more often than not is impacted by the lag to the point that the outcome will impacted by close matches. For that reason I think it should be removed or fixed.

I can’t stand courtyard for 3 main reasons.

1. The map itself is horrible, just too small and lacks terrain variety, greatly limiting fighting tactics.

2. You can’t finish your daily on it. You can get a daily win but can’t do the defender, capper etc. On days and for people with limited playtime this map is a complete waste. I hate it even when I get my wins.

3. Usually team who has more sustainable and AOE vs precision single target builds wins because of the limited map size. The map design greatly limits overall effectiveness of many builds and when you get a team made up of such builds its practically a forgone conclusion making any fighting on it feel like an additional waste of time.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

While I agree with everything you’re saying and have similar complaints to others in the thread (not finishing your dailies especially grinds my gears), I still like the map because it’s a fun, simple change of pace. Sometimes, I just want to kill some people without having to worry about anything else.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Death match is ok. Map itself is just bad, a lot of terrain bugs that prevent porting abilities like sb 5, shadowstep, steal etc.
Too many walls, too many plants in the cam – you literary can’t see wth is going on most of the time.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

It should have its own queue. When I’m playing solo I never do unranked because of courtyard and the other lame maps in unranked.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

I don’t understand why people dislike this map.

When it was introduced I ALMOST thought it was a good replacement for RoC but no matter how much I love courtyard, RoC is irreplaceable.

My guess is that the vast majority that dislike courtyard didn’t bother re-traiting for the map. Because once you’ve hit the right build, it’s one of the funnest pvp maps.

It’s like a small scale GvG but without screaming commanders and no need to farm to have gold for gear.

It’s the only reason why I queue unranked sometimes…and maybe for the shorter queues.

It was fun pre-patch when nades had 1500 range, pre-patch fresh air and medi guard

It’s still fun today on power wells mancer, staff ele, shatter mes

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

Courtyard...

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

I agree abc, Courtyard can be very fun if you’re using the right build. I’ve had tons of fun on it as hammerguard but.. I don’t use the build at all.

I think the majority don’t like the map because if you’re not on a competent team, then the game can snowball very quickly more so than your average Conquest match. That doesn’t sit well for the majority of casual players.

I’m still happy we got the gamemode. I definitely prefer it over Skyhammer… that map was the reason why I absolutely hated Unranked queue…

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Courtyard...

in PvP

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

Courtyard would be fine if it were a separate ‘mode’ you could optionally queue for, like how Stronghold is currently handled in HoT beta.

Courtyard...

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Courtyard would be fine if it were a separate ‘mode’ you could optionally queue for, like how Stronghold is currently handled in HoT beta.

I would do that, then add a 2v2 or 3v3 game mode with best out of 3 matches with 5m limit per match.

Give us this once every summer.. at the very least!

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld