Criticism and Praise from a Fan

in PvP

Posted by: Eve.1580

Eve.1580

Hello!

So I wanted to weigh in with my perspective on the state of affairs with sPvP and tPvP. To give background: I played gw2 for about 4-6 months straight from early release and quit until about 3 weeks ago. I originally played gw1 and loved the hell out of that game, esp the extensive PvP that was offered. I play nearly everything in the game, but the ratio from PvE/PvP is 20/80.

The reason I quit GW2 was because of the sPvP (or lack thereof). I planned on coming back after a couple months when the pvp has some fresh new game modes.. But, as you may expect, there was nothing notable in the news to bring me back. Around the same time I left the game many of friends and guild mates slowed their play or quit all together because of similar reasons as me. Then after months and MONTHS of waiting for some pvp diversity, my friend posted something from your FB that stated “New pvp mode.. courtyard (essentially tdm)”; I couldn’t be happier.. I joined up soon after I heard the news, and have been playing every day since, without regret. So with that introduction, here’s my perspective about the good, bad, and … well ideas of future updates.

Love:

• sPvP incentives, trash loot? Sometimes sure, but to me there’s something gratifying about opening up a bag at the end of a match.. A sort of “I EARNED THIS” mentality.
  • Reward scaling. Your magic find system is awesome. Many argue that it doesn’t actually effect drops. I strongly disagree by experience, but regardless, seeing the higher numbers. gives me a sense of accomplishment, and gives trash loot purpose. Great job!
  • sPvP Rank track. Dude! AMAZING. I have to say I was skeptical and weirded out about the idea of making dungeon loot also a PvP drop, you guys implemented it great! Its difficult, but rewarding, exactly what you would ask for in a PvP accomplishment. Probably one of my favorite changes.
  • WvW Ranking. I realize this is sPvP, but I just wanted to give a shout out to the people who made this happen.. Giving scale to WvW gives purpose to play it every now and then, and introduces many noobies to the idea of PvP. Noobies, consequently, that I train my new builds on.
  • Courtyard. My favorite addition since the game started. Is it perfect? Kittens no. But its the biggest step I’ve seen in sPvP history taken, the move away from mindless cap matches. The formation of the map is awesome because its really simple. From my perspective, simple is best. While places like skyhammer is an example of over complexity, and its negatives(balancing, difficulty for new players), Courtyard is a great example of simplicity.
  • PvP skins. I hated it at first, but I gotta say, adding PvE skins to PvP has converted a friend of mine over to play PvP a bit more, and adds some diversity in the look of people.

Hate:

• Bad Rank Chests. Whats up with that? Give me a couple rares, a minipet, and call it a day, I’m not asking for much, just better than what we get.
  • Bad Tournament Maps. Some maps are awful for SingleQ tournament, Skyhammer is the most quotable one, and rightfully so. I doubt you guys would want people to have to change their build depending on the map ever time because KD is better at x, or stability is better at y, its a pain to do and it takes 0 skill.
  • Community attention. Real talk, I think it needs some work. Send out weekly questionnaires, get some focus groups running (see Eve Online)! There is no need for this huge animosity towards the PvP devs because of the perception of you guys being uncaring.. You guys say you care about what the community wants, but I’m curious to how many people believe that. If you add in focus groups and questionnaires this’ll add labor with no additional costs, help you pump out content faster, and REALLY help your public image.
  • Game modes. Okay we’re at 2… Seriously, keep it coming.

PT2 in comments (hopefully it’ll let me)

in PvP

Eve.1580

Additional Improvement Requests:

• More achievement scaling. You guys did great with the rank tiers and magic find.. But adding further would only help give people a sense of accomplishment. Make the rank trains improve as you complete them.. Give a scalable titles for each tier (something you can show off). Simple additions that should add a lot of depth to the train system..
  • sPvP specific gear. I know its taboo to compare to two.. But why is it that you got hundreds of exclusive skins from doing dungeons (previously), but PvP had zero? Add more skins! But make it very difficult to achieve each one! This would add a HUGE incentive to sPvP, and it would finally make sPvPers feel special for once. Seriously, I feel like the red headed step child. Give us some love! Give us some exclusive content!
  • Tournament Announcements. You know that message that pops up to tell everyone about the server resets? Do that for a League Tournament, and make the tournament view a click away. Hell announce the teams while they fight. This would not only introduce PvP to newer players, but it’ll do amazing strides for the community.
  • Guild Halls. I know you guys have your ‘artistic integrity’ and like to keep your game progression running in a certain direction.. But believe me.. Building a strong guild system is IMPERATIVE to people being loyal to your game. And there is nothing better then having your own guild hall. Hands down my favorite memory in GW1 was me (as a guild leader) talking to another guild leader to form an alliance while watching GvG matches.. Every single fan wants this, I promise. Please give it to them.
  • Factions. Like GW1.. That’s more of a preference, but I loved gw1 AB.. I hope it returns? Would be neato. Especially if it’s luxon vs kurzick again. (Although, I think you guys killed off Luxons. Kittens.)

Conclusion. I LOVE THE CHANGES! I mean, it took you guys a horrendous amount of time to actually listen to your PvP players.. But you guys gave an amazing update and I seriously commend you for it. In my opinion, this game is the best MMO out there, and while I can understand why some people dislike it.. Its obvious that with a few steps forward in the right direction, it would be impossible to hate Guild Wars 2.

So in the likely event that the devs don’t answer, what do you guys think? Anything to add, anything to disagree with?

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Well spoken! I find it rare to find someone that can express the good and bad in such a fair manner.

I fully agree with everything! I think most players do!

I sincerely hope that this reaches Arena Net’s attention. Probably more so than any thread I’ve seen over the last few months! =)

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1…..

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Really? No discussion on this one? =P

edit: How can it be so much more attractive to talk (ramble) about subjectively negative things about the game, rather than a thread as well written as this one?

Perhaps there’s just not all that much to add to it? It has already received quite a lot of upvotes, but there’s still just 2 people posting on this thread.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

(edited by Phadde.7362)

in PvP

Eve.1580

Thanks for the kind words Phadde!

I think I probably wrote too much, didn’t summarize as much, or maybe you’re right, I’m not as critical as I should.. One more poke.. And here a controversial statement:

I don’t like mean people in sPvP who hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

in PvP

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Not very often you see people commending Anet. I hate it when people are too quick to point out the bad but never the good.
You seem to hit both of them pretty spot on.

I know if I was a developer and trying my hardest, it would put me down if people constantly just said what they hated and never appreciated the good stuff I was adding. It’s nice to see someone taking the time to give credit where it’s due.

in PvP

Posted by: JoopFOX.9510

JoopFOX.9510

Thanks for the kind words Phadde!

I think I probably wrote too much, didn’t summarize as much, or maybe you’re right, I’m not as critical as I should.. One more poke.. And here a controversial statement:

I don’t like mean people in sPvP who hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

Yeah, what’s up with that? I’m seriously wondering what the heck that is… I may consider doing a study on this.

Professor James – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Cap matches are mindless? and courtyard is not?

Capping matches provide three independent objectives and tactics to hold all three or the majority. It has clear positions and objectives.

Courtyard. In high player numbers becomes spam fest of skills and AoE where the lowest health individual gets targeted by team for annihilation. Only requires a strong stick and move policy to play. It also requires changing of build from other maps where strong solo abilities may/are needed to Team beneficial build that has disposable escapes for when needed. This is currently your number one grief with skyhammer. (That it requires changing of build to play effectively.)

Nice feedback, but very subjective.

in PvP

Eve.1580

Cap matches are mindless? and courtyard is not?

Capping matches provide three independent objectives and tactics to hold all three or the majority. It has clear positions and objectives.

Courtyard. In high player numbers becomes spam fest of skills and AoE where the lowest health individual gets targeted by team for annihilation. Only requires a strong stick and move policy to play. It also requires changing of build from other maps where strong solo abilities may/are needed to Team beneficial build that has disposable escapes for when needed. This is currently your number one grief with skyhammer. (That it requires changing of build to play effectively.)

Nice feedback, but very subjective.

Of course its subjective, its feedback, but thanks regardless.

Right.. With zero coordination, and a flood of new players. Courtyard, which is hotjoin, is a spam fest of skills an AoE. If given the opportunity to have some sort of, teamed play with higher skilled players, it would go significantly different. Also, I’m not one of the people that thinks that Courtyard should be mixed deeply with Point Cap, especially in regards to tournaments. Like I said, it needs some balancing, because its not all right yet, but the potential is amazing.

Capping is mindless, to the fact that I’ve done it a million times before. I know the counters, and back capping or simply neutralizing a point from a bunker doesn’t require an excess of brain power. Don’t forget, Annihilation (albeit, not TDM) and GvG was the highest skill cap of GW1, point cap (factions) was concidered a gateway drug to ‘real pvp’.. According to elitists like myself back in the day.

I do apologize, I discounted point cap a bit to harshly. But, I feel like if anyone does anything hundreds and hundreds of times, making the splits correctly is second nature, not at all variable or skill oriented. I see TDM as being a mosh-pit of variability.

in PvP

Posted by: bobomb.5209

bobomb.5209

Conquest is a great team oriented game mode and definitely takes more skill to play effectively as a team than running around in a TDM.

But when that is the ONLY game mode that people know front and back, which has even developed it’s own basic strategy, then the community needs more diversity.

Variety is the spice of life and we’ve been eating our GW2 sirloin steak with only salt for seasoning.

in PvP

Eve.1580

Conquest is a great team oriented game mode and definitely takes more skill to play effectively as a team than running around in a TDM.

But when that is the ONLY game mode that people know front and back, which has even developed it’s own basic strategy, then the community needs more diversity.

Variety is the spice of life and we’ve been eating our GW2 sirloin steak with only salt for seasoning.

Which is conquest?

No I agree, TDM as team oriented as it could be and needs a LOT of fixing, but is a step in the right direction.

I just hate how everyone is spending all of their free time railing on courtyard, but seldom gives any constructive criticism. A-Net said on their release video that they wanted to see how this style of play would fit in with the game, and they’ll be judging it according to the audiences opinion.. All they will be seeing is that the PvP community hates change, when change is the one and only remedy for PvP (look at the reward system change and how many people that brought)

To use your example: the PvPers ate sirloin every single day for a year.. It doesn’t matter the seasoning, if you’re eating the same thing over and over its going to be bland after a while. We need spaghetti.

kittenmit, I’m hungry now.

in PvP

Posted by: bobomb.5209

bobomb.5209

Which is conquest?

No I agree, TDM as team oriented as it could be and needs a LOT of fixing, but is a step in the right direction.

I just hate how everyone is spending all of their free time railing on courtyard, but seldom gives any constructive criticism. A-Net said on their release video that they wanted to see how this style of play would fit in with the game, and they’ll be judging it according to the audiences opinion.. All they will be seeing is that the PvP community hates change, when change is the one and only remedy for PvP (look at the reward system change and how many people that brought)

To use your example: the PvPers ate sirloin every single day for a year.. It doesn’t matter the seasoning, if you’re eating the same thing over and over its going to be bland after a while. We need spaghetti.

kittenmit, I’m hungry now.

You and me both.

But I also find people complaints on courtyard to be unfounded. It shows change! Whether or not you like the match or TDM in general you should be happy that the developers are finally taking an interest (albeit a slowly developing interest) in PvP for a change!

in PvP

Posted by: DonRobeez.3560

DonRobeez.3560

I feel the exact same way as you.

Absolutely loved the competitive aspect of GW1 and came to GW2 for the same reason.
I only managed to play that for a month long and it got extremely boring real fast.
So far I have only been waiting for something to happen and this is definitely a good start in the right direction.

You have made a very well written summary and I agree 100%.

Infested Kerrigan I [TaG]
Gunnar’s Hold
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GloryKittens