Crumbling safety pips

Crumbling safety pips

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

The topic isnt new, and I dont think I have to go into detail about the pros and cons of safety pips.

They are there for a reason, but they also cause a lot of problems.

So… how about, instead of making them fixed… make them crumbling? If someone falls back to last safety pip over and over… then maybe, that pip should “crumble” after a certain amount of “uses”?
The player should be able of course, to earn it back. So when he again climbs past that safety pip, full use is restored, which is why I would hold the count low… like 5-10 uses until safety pip crumbles.

I think this would make the ladder less “static”, resolving the problem of these “clusters” of players around the saftey pips (especially ruby and diamond t1) that dont actually belong there and only destroy their mmr with all the losses they get trying to climb further.

So, what do you think?

Crumbling safety pips

in PvP

Posted by: Topher.5631

Topher.5631

Good idea, but 5-10 uses is WAY too generous lol. Maybe 3-5?

If you can’t beat it, it is, needless to say, OP
Looking for a team? Start here! https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

Crumbling safety pips

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

The amount of uses could decrease also… for example you get 15 uses in amber, 10 in emerald, 5 in sapphire and then its only 3 for ruby and diamond.

Crumbling safety pips

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

This is an interesting idea. But 5-10 is way too much. I wouldn’t go any more than 3, and even that’s kind of too much.

My own suggestion is a safety pip, or net, reflected by win/loss ratio. If I’m skilled enough to stay above the safety net and if I get to the 3rd pip of a tier and then got horrible off point fighters 4 times in a row, which happens all the time, I don’t want to be punished for it, but I also don’t want those baddies to be caught by the same net. I’d rather be rewarded for my skill and be caught by the net while the off point fights fall back. It’s the safety net for bad players that allows them to advance all the way to Ruby with almost no trouble at all, and then they continue to ruin the experience for players who don’t want them in their games. Likewise, I don’t think bad players want to fight good players outside of a controlled environment. I’m not that great, but I’m also not terrible, and I don’t want to fight bads or ESL players unless I’m at their levels. It’s just not competitive!

What if a safety net is deployed for those who have a high win/loss ratio. Let’s say if you’re winning 60% of your games, you get a safety net. A win loss ratio shows a better indication of skill than win streaks. You could get lucky and ride win streaks, but those are short term. Win/loss is long term and shows overall skill.

How about for Amber, 40% win/loss. Emerald is 50%. Sapphire is 60%. Ruby and up has no net just like it is now. I know there’s a flaw in there somewhere. This is just an idea to get your mind thinking of better ideas.

Now this would only work if they removed the whole favoured team matchmaking thing they have going.

If you want good, competitive games, the bad players need to be separate from the good ones. Hell, the moderately skilled players need to be separate from the rest. I know your population can’t handle so much separation, but it’s the system you have no that’s driving people away. If you separate, the community will grow.

The soccer community would suck if a lower level of soccer was paired up again a World Cup team. Nobody would play the sport ever again. Good soccer teams need to be separate from inferior ones.