Current status on classes?

in PvP

Posted by: othomp.7238

othomp.7238

Hey guys,

I’m returning to GW2 after almost year away. Just would like an update on the situation of classes at the moment. Like balancing and play style, since I’d like to re roll a class but don’t want to fall into a spec that’s pretty useless in the current patch.

(Mostly I’m referring to PvP)

Any tips would be great.

in PvP

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

D/D Ele OP, Mesmer kind of OP. A single Thief still mandatory on competitive teams. The rest of the classes kind of blend together in terms of balance. Also, burning stacks in intensity and is particularly strong.

(edited by roamzero.9486)

in PvP

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

D/D Ele OP, Mesmer kind of OP. A single Thief still mandatory on competitive teams. The rest of the classes kind of blend together in terms of balance. Also, burning stacks in intensity and is particularly strong.

Except Ranger.

Poor Ranger.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Except Ranger.

Poor Ranger.

Longbow ranger’s not in a terrible spot for most PvP brackets, particularly since it now has taunt on pet.

Just don’t expect to win top tier tournaments with it. =P

in PvP

Posted by: NeoSoul.4198

NeoSoul.4198

I got back about 3 weeks ago from almost 3 years break myself :P (only played core beta and a 1-2 weeks after release). Overall, it seems like most people agree that Ele is the strongest (it doesn’t many many weaknesses) with D/D. Ranger would be the weakest.

Then thief seems mandatory in the tournament games I’ve seen. Mesmer and Necro seem good, perhaps Engineer (Necro with a spec to throw conditions back at people since this meta seems heavy on conditions). Bunker guardian. I still see a warrior here and there but it might not be in the best spot.

The expansion might shuffle it around though. So far, from testing with the beta, if the game was to release in the current state, I would expect D/D ele to still be the strongest spec along with the new Mesmer (Chronomancer) and the Revenant. Ranger and Engineer elite specs aren’t out yet though so I can’t tell for these 2 classes. You might want to check out the beta stuff to make your mind since the expansion is around the corner.

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I got back about 3 weeks ago from almost 3 years break myself :P (only played core beta and a 1-2 weeks after release). Overall, it seems like most people agree that Ele is the strongest (it doesn’t many many weaknesses) with D/D. Ranger would be the weakest.

Then thief seems mandatory in the tournament games I’ve seen. Mesmer and Necro seem good, perhaps Engineer (Necro with a spec to throw conditions back at people since this meta seems heavy on conditions). Bunker guardian. I still see a warrior here and there but it might not be in the best spot.

The expansion might shuffle it around though. So far, from testing with the beta, if the game was to release in the current state, I would expect D/D ele to still be the strongest spec along with the new Mesmer (Chronomancer) and the Revenant. Ranger and Engineer elite specs aren’t out yet though so I can’t tell for these 2 classes. You might want to check out the beta stuff to make your mind since the expansion is around the corner.

Its interesting that you said that revenant would be one of the strongest. Why do you say that?

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Its interesting that you said that revenant would be one of the strongest. Why do you say that?

Have you played with/against one in PvP yet?

They’re really insane. Just a huge amount of damage and durability. They’re like D/D eles on crack. Though I expect they’ll get nerfed before HoT goes live, I think they’ll be top tier still.

Anet make Rev great again.

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

I think guards have an upper hand over engies at the moment. Before the 2 huge engie nerfs in the spring and summer, I had 4 pvp engies each with a different build.

They still have good mobility but everything else, an ele could do better.

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

They’re really insane. Just a huge amount of damage and durability. They’re like D/D eles on crack. Though I expect they’ll get nerfed before HoT goes live, I think they’ll be top tier still.

The ones I played against all sucked. ALL
Or maybe I’m just so darn good.
But nah, I just really think they sucked.

Edit:

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

nearlight.3064

I played a carrion Mallyx glint herald most of the beta weekend and it felt to be pretty strong since it’s the first condi build since the old spirit ranger that has actual support. Even for carrion, the sustain was pretty good unless I got outright focused by multiple burst specs. The retribution traits and high protection uptime are responsible for that. I also liked how much of the condition damage is Cleaving or AoE.

I haven’t spent much time with the power builds, but I could see a burst build being viable. I tried out a soldiers spread with staff that was decent too. I also think Valkyrie could work with rolling mists.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

S Tier – DD Ele

A Tier – PU or Mantra Mesmer, Cele Signet Necro, DP Thief, Soldier Engi

B Tier – Rampage Warrior, Bunker Guardian, Power Ranger, Staff Ele, Condi Mesmer

The classes are fairly balanced, but the balance itself is based around low-skill, forgiving bunker builds.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

For tournament play, composition needs to be tight and granular. Even though less than 5% of pvpers participate in tourneys, we still look up to them for guidance/inspiration on what builds to run. However, I must add that there are thriving builds solo queuers can run effectively in ranked/unranked that’s not represented in tournaments.

in PvP

Posted by: apocom.3172

apocom.3172

I’ve made a flow chart to help new players to choose a class:

Does your team has a thief?
No: play thief
Yes: play d/d cele ele

in PvP

Posted by: NeoSoul.4198

NeoSoul.4198

I’m not 100% sure about the Revenant because it’s too new and I obviously didn’t fully understand it by just playing it a few hours during the beta weekend. I said this because looking at the skills and abilities, it seems to be able to deal with almost any type of build. For example, one of the builds seems like it might be a good counter to D/D ele with conditions. I played a burst spec that had good mobility, ranged jumps and attacks that won’t miss so it’s definitely a reliable class for gap closing (that was with Assassin). I played with the Dwarf stance as 2nd one which gave me a lot of survivability that I could switch into mid fight. Overall, the main reason why I’m saying this is that it seems to have a lot of tools in its kit, be a reliable melee character, has a high skill cap, can use 2 ults back to back, it has group buffs and so on. It’d be hard for me to believe that it couldn’t find a spot in the top classes with everything it currently has and how good it can adapt in a fight with 2 legendary stances and 2 weapon sets along with group buffs.

As for the Mesmer… well it just basically almost felt like the current one but nearly 2x stronger.

(edited by NeoSoul.4198)

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

Except Ranger.

Poor Ranger.

Longbow ranger’s not in a terrible spot for most PvP brackets, particularly since it now has taunt on pet.

Just don’t expect to win top tier tournaments with it. =P

Power ranger is only half decent because of people exploting taunt bugs…if taunt wasn’t totally bugged power ranger wouldn’t be any viable

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

nearlight.3064

I’m not 100% sure about the Revenant because it’s too new and I obviously didn’t fully understand it by just playing it a few hours during the beta weekend. I said this because looking at the skills and abilities, it seems to be able to deal with almost any type of build. For example, one of the builds seems like it might be a good counter to D/D ele with conditions. I played a burst spec that had good mobility, ranged jumps and attacks that won’t miss so it’s definitely a reliable class for gap closing (that was with Assassin). I played with the Dwarf stance as 2nd one which gave me a lot of survivability that I could switch into mid fight. Overall, the main reason why I’m saying this is that it seems to have a lot of tools in its kit, be a reliable melee character, has a high skill cap, can use 2 ults back to back, it has group buffs and so on. It’d be hard for me to believe that it couldn’t find a spot in the top classes with everything it currently has and how good it can adapt in a fight with 2 legendary stances and 2 weapon sets along with group buffs.

As for the Mesmer… well it just basically almost felt like the current one but nearly 2x stronger.

There are two builds that I think could potentially be meta for revenant.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNApXin3geNSuQvJRboJlsP0jS4I6SJ4EtrklTlRNjQKJNgEewe93vH-TJhHwADOFAl3fAwTA4YZAA

This one I’ve used for most of the weekend (or a very similar variant) and its very strong. I say this a lot, but it fulfills a role similar to the old spirit ranger (condis and AoE protection) but it is so much better in anyway. It has reliable access to stability and mallyx lets it 1v1 condition classes very well. Its only truly weak to boon removal, and it has few stunbreaks, but lots of stability, dodges, and protection help a lot. It’s also suceptible to being kited, but close quarters and axe 4 help with that. Everything else its pretty strong at.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAsXin3guNSuQ7JRboZlsP0rS4IaVJ4EdskFNFidMnpNtBYBNwugJMiA-TJRIwAk2f4YZAAnCAwPBAA

This build I wasn’t able to test, but on paper it sounds like the revenant’s best burst build in pvp. It works so well due to rolling mists allowing you to use an amulet with more survivability. Condition removal is a concern, but lyssa runes, cleansing channel, and generosity sigils help a lot. If cleansing channel removed two conditions, it should work a lot better.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..