Custom Game or Balanced Game?

in PvP

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Shortly,

trying to balance an mmo for both pvp and pve could be hard.

GW1 tried sometimes to put the same skill with different uses, which was a good idea to me.
If a skill works fine for pve, why trying to find a fix that will balance the skill for pvp trying to remain balanced for pve as well? It would be simple fix the skill for pvp only.

But they are not follow this way, so lets talk about something else:

You, players who play spvp.
Would you prefer to chose your own template for ranked arena or to play a balanced game?

I like chose my own template, but i like the most play a balanced game.

I am talking about work on every single class ( maybe changing the meta every X months ) allowing the player only to chose the class.

This mean you will be able to chose only what class to play.
Traits, Skill, Runes, Sigils,Weapons and Amulets will be the same for every player.

ANET will have for sure to work only on 9 classes, trying to balance em without thinking about all weapons, sigils, runes, amulets, traits.

I don’t want to be shallow, but hell… it will be way easier for em:

-less time to balance
-less patches
-a way more balanced meta
-happy community
-easier and skilled game ( players won’t have to “imagine” what skills the other team will bring on, or which traits, or sigils, or amulets/weapons. It will be fair and square ).

On the other hands, players will only have 1 specific build per class avaible.
The only variety will be a class change ( from Warrior to Necro, for an instance ).

Really i do like make my own builds, but reading the forum, HotM local chat, in game players… and also, watching about the whole old GW2 and this HoT S1, i think anet should stop for a moment and trying make a point of the situation.

Not something like “it’s their fault for not balancing the game”, cause even a game with way more devs working on it ( like wow ) has many problems about balancing both pvp and pve.

But if players wants a balanced game and ANET would like ( and players too ofc ) to see GW2 as a true E-Sport, why don’t give it a shot? ( maybe another spvp mod where you could only use a standard class build to play. Something to start with and see how fast could be balance and players feedback ).

Well that’s what i think.
What about you? ( if someone from ANET would like to join the thead, i also would appreciate ).

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Diversity and counter builds makes my day. If i get forced to fixed builds i am out.
A major driver for an mmo is customisation and there not only visual.
Of course this makes balacing hard.
But despite its hard. I don´t understand that ANet struggles so much. This feels like a resource and marketing/finance v.s. working on real balance fight.
It will never work if you don´t dedicate (full time job for a few month) a small balance team (e.g. 3 good designers) to the job, and let them work without interference.

in PvP

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

To me, you are thinking about it in the wrong way ( not talking about diversity and counter, which i respect and agree in a different scenario ).

If the spvp team is small ( or devs have few hours to dedicate at ) since GW2 release, then we have a point. Which is that ANET in 3/4 years didn’t put enough devs to work on spvp.

I wouldn’t discuss about “why don’t em put more?” but just stating that there are not enough ( and as said before, if you have played wow for an instance, you know that with more devs working on it its not sure it will become better or balanced ).

I think, due to all facts, the thing is become aware of em, and find a rational solution.