Custom arenas: why so expensive?

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

So I thought I might buy a custom arena so I can make a 5vs5 server with no skyhammer or raid on cap, with no password so anyone can play. But it seems the customs server (arena?) are the, or one of the, most expensive things in the shop- about $50 for 30 days?

I don’t get it.

I might pay $10 or so to have a server without the two crap maps, and share it with the community but the current price is crazy.

in PvP

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

you can convert gold to gems, also they wernt meant for one individual to be buying and paying for but a whole group of people whether friends or a guild , hence why you can buy time tokens, also, server architecture is not free, arena net is paying for that here in the real world and they are people who need to eat too

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

It would probably not be optimal for Anet to have hundreds of empty custom servers all the time. Even if thousands of people bought a custom arena, it wouldn’t be a significant source of income for Anet even at $50. So they probably set the prices based on how many custom arenas they’d like to see. Since they’re still kind of expensive, Anet probably feels there are enough, although I think they went on sale recently.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

50$?!??!!?
Seriously???

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahah
Almost more hilarious than Anet’s idea of ‘custom servers’.

in PvP

SpehssMehreen.5897

50$?!??!!?
Seriously???

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahah
Almost more hilarious than Anet’s idea of ‘custom servers’.

excuse me but can you explain whats so funny? whats wrong with Arenanets custom servers?

in PvP

garethh.3518

excuse me but can you explain whats so funny? whats wrong with Arenanets custom servers?

The whole deal, back before they released custom servers, was that people wanted ways to tweak the game since Anet was doing a bad/slow job at it, people REALLY wanted ways to form new game modes and/or switch up gameplay…
(conquest and only conquest gets very stale very quickly)

So Anet came out with this great idea to make custom servers…
Everyone was psyched.

But when custom servers actually came out, Anet added in like no feature that achieved that, their big sell was that you could ‘adjust respawn timers’ and have a server note of ‘in this server we will be bum rushing mid constantly for 5v5s’…

I mean short of for dueling and nostalgia it is COMPLETELY impractical to even consider getting a custom server, even if they were free.
Oh and later, to avoid, skyhammer… laughably one of the bigger reasons I’ve seen people go to custom servers is to avoid a generally hated map Anet forced into the Q rotation, ironically in attempt to fix the ‘bad maps’ deal that was going on.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

SpehssMehreen.5897

The whole deal, back before they released custom servers, was that people wanted ways to tweak the game since Anet was doing a bad job at it, they wanted ways to form new game modes and whatnot…

So Anet decided to make custom servers…
Except they added in like no feature that achieved that, their big sell was that you could ‘adjust respawn timers’…
I mean short of for deuling and nostalgia it was impractible to even consider buying a server, oh and later, to avoid, skyhammer… laughably one of the bigger reasons people go to custom servers is to avoid a terrible map Anet forced into the Q rotation.

that sounds, opinionated and reading it from over here sounds all very meh

in PvP

garethh.3518

that sounds, opinionated and reading it from over here sounds all very meh

I find it funny that a AAA MMO could think kitten like personalized ‘respawn timers’, for one, makes a custom server worth playing, for two, actually can fix a game.
To each his own.

I’ve been watching this game move along since open beta, and people/the-forums are always opinionated, so its tough to convey anything going on in the community without the use of those.

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

So I thought I might buy a custom arena so I can make a 5vs5 server with no skyhammer or raid on cap, with no password so anyone can play. But it seems the customs server (arena?) are the, or one of the, most expensive things in the shop- about $50 for 30 days?

I don’t get it.

I might pay $10 or so to have a server without the two crap maps, and share it with the community but the current price is crazy.

But if its $10, someone will come along and say its so expensive and they would only be willing to spend $2

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

in PvP

Yasha.5963

The whole deal, back before they released custom servers, was that people wanted ways to tweak the game since Anet was doing a bad/slow job at it, people REALLY wanted ways to form new game modes and/or switch up gameplay…
(conquest and only conquest gets very stale very quickly)

So Anet came out with this great idea to make custom servers…
Everyone was psyched.

But when custom servers actually came out, Anet added in like no feature that achieved that, their big sell was that you could ‘adjust respawn timers’ and have a server note of ‘in this server we will be bum rushing mid constantly for 5v5s’…

I mean short of for dueling and nostalgia it is COMPLETELY impractical to even consider getting a custom server, even if they were free.
Oh and later, to avoid, skyhammer… laughably one of the bigger reasons I’ve seen people go to custom servers is to avoid a generally hated map Anet forced into the Q rotation, ironically in attempt to fix the ‘bad maps’ deal that was going on.

I have to agree with this.

Many people (spvpers) just want a rotation with the descent maps and 5vs5. I am willing to spend my own money to create a 5vs5 server without Raid on Cap and Skyhammer and just give it to the community. No passwords, no restrictions. It doesn’t matter if I can’t play on it because its full or whatever.

However, I can’t afford to be paying more than a regular mmo sub for it. I don’t mind donating a one off $10 or so to give the community the rotation it has been asking for.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I don’t get it.

But if its $10, someone will come along and say its so expensive and they would only be willing to spend $2

It is very simple to understand.

GW2 cost me $60. Yes $20 is cheaper, but I (and millions of others) am quite happy paying that much for such a wonderful game that has given me hundreds of hours of playtime. Compared to other mmos, even f2p, it is very cheap. I get a lot for my sixty bucks.

These custom servers cost about twice as much as a monthly sub to an mmo. Comparatively I get very, very little compared to either what I got for my $60 with GW2, or what I would get from being able to simultaneously sub to two AAA mmos. Therefore is seems outrageously expensive.

The pve and many other items I have looked at in the gem shop look fairly priced compared to what I can buy for the same money in other games.

I recall playing Dragons Nest (a f2p mmo), where I could just make my own “room” (like a server) for free. I thought I was being generous thinking I would have to pay even $10 for a similar service!

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

$25 card = 2000 gem on amazon.com

Custom Arena starter kit = 1600gem = $20 for 30days.

After that you buy tokens for to recharge 20days/480gem. Which becomes ~$9 monthly cost.

You can have your “friends” pitch in to help play. Doesn’t seem that much then if you all enjoy the private server.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

in PvP

Yasha.5963

$25 card = 2000 gem on amazon.com

Custom Arena starter kit = 1600gem = $20 for 30days.

After that you buy tokens for to recharge 20days/480gem. Which becomes ~$9 monthly cost.

You can have your “friends” pitch in to help play. Doesn’t seem that much then if you all enjoy the private server.

I am glad that I got the pricing wrong, now the price just looks unreasonable (as opposed to insane).

It is still much more expensive than the free option in DN (and that is a f2p game!) and far more expensive than I had expected, especially the ongoing fee component.

I guess like you say for a guild or a group of friends it could work out, but not for my needs.