D/P SB thief questions

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Rocky.8195

Rocky.8195

Hey whatsup guys. I have a few questions about runes, sigils, and amulets to run this season so I’ll try to keep it simple and all feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you boys.

1st. Using Sigil of Accuracy as my secondary sigil, the best ones I can see to use as my other would be Sigil of Strength, Sigil of Air, and Sigil of Force. What do you guys think would be the best for the most damage output? Or would one not listed be the best?

2nd. I cannot decide on which runes are best to run. The top ones I believe would be the most effective are Rune of Strength, Rune of Infiltration, Rune of Exuberance, and Rune of Eagle. Which ones do you think would be best? Or would a different one I am not seeing be the meta?

3rd. Simple questions. I’ve been very much enjoying Paladin’s Amulet, however, what do you guys think of using Marauders instead?

and 4th. Utility skill wise I’ve been using Shadowstep, RFI, and Channeled Vigor for healing. My final 2 are Bandit’s Defense and Impact Strike as the elite because if timed right they chain together for a nice finishing combo. Is there any other utilities you guys use that you think would be good replacements?

I appreciate all the feedback possible guys. Thank you so much, any and all information helps.

~ Mike, thanks again. Power to the PVP!

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Rocky.8195

Bump**********

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Aeroxe.8140

Aeroxe.8140

I’m on my phone, so I’ll keep this short and sweet. I’m assuming you are looking for a meta build, but that does not mean you should not try experimenting and seeing what’s fun for you!

1) Air and Fire

2) Scholar or daredevil

3) Use marauder

4) channeled vigor, shadow step, signet of agility, blinding powder OR bandit’s defense, and basilisk venom OR impact strike.

Also, try reviewing your build on the metabattle website.

Thief (main), ele, guard
Past member of most teams NA. Retired proleague season 1+2.
http://www.twitch.tv/aeroxe

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Rocky.8195

Metabattle is cookie cutter man my build is already tweaked beyond that. Air provides more damage via single target however does it provide better overall damage than the Might stacks from Strength and Force? And out of all the runes I listed in my 2nd question which of those or maybe ones not listed do you find give the best overall benefit? Also Signit of Agility doesn’t out-trump Withdraw, SS OR bandits. You should never use that it’s a waste considering you should always have over 65% critical chance with the correct spec given you built yourself correctly. I really just want to know the questions I asked preferably from well experienced SPvP thieves that are using D/P to compete in the 2017 tournament. Thank you for your input though I really appreciate it, anybody else have a reply that can answer my questions? It would not only benefit me but I’m sure alot of other SPvP main thieves as well. Thanks again guys.

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

1. Honestly for sigils, those are all good choices. I personally run Air+ blood for a bit more survivability in combat. I used to run force and air with a premade team I trusted

2. Exuberance on a thief is a bit eh… Strength could work on a PP cheese build or if you have a team that is boon heavy. Infiltration is a bit gimmicky in my experience and it makes you lose out on quite a bit of damage. Current meta choices seem to revolve around Scholar runes for extra burst, Pack runes for stats and swiftness, might and fury uptime and Daredevil runes for extra survivability and guaranteed bursts. I wouldn’t give up power for precision and fero as ferocity is the worst scaling stat in the game DPS wise in comparison to power.

3. Marauders is great, it’s technically beserkers with far less risk and slightly lower burst. Paladins is amazing for duels but it gimps your burst when you +1, something which is essential for thief imo. It is meta after all as it gives the stats to capitalize on thief’s core strengths whilst allowing breathing space.

4. RFI is okay if you choose trickster trait with a staff build, but it’s only 1 extra dodge vs Signet of Agility which is 2 with a lower cooldown and minor on-demand condi clear (Not to mention a dps boost). I guess the ini/ stunbreak is nice but extra dodge but i just can’t justify that long cooldown.

Shadowstep, can’t go wrong with it unless Invalid path to Kappa :’^)

Bandit’s defence is a wonderful skill to have, i cycle it between blinding powder depending on what I’m up against. Against warriors and CC heavy teams, BD. Against slow teams, I use Blinding powder. Impact Strike is great to have but it’s horrendous if you suddenly start tilting or fight teams with heavy block uptime. Basilisk venom is my other go to. Dagger storm used to be okay but it’s way too situational for my liking with an obnoxious cooldown.

I’ve tried thieves guild on condi builds and it’s hilarious but beyond useless against a proper team.

Multiple Class Disorder

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Kokoro.8437

Kokoro.8437

Metabattle is cookie cutter man my build is already tweaked beyond that. Air provides more damage via single target however does it provide better overall damage than the Might stacks from Strength and Force? And out of all the runes I listed in my 2nd question which of those or maybe ones not listed do you find give the best overall benefit? Also Signit of Agility doesn’t out-trump Withdraw, SS OR bandits. You should never use that it’s a waste considering you should always have over 65% critical chance with the correct spec given you built yourself correctly. I really just want to know the questions I asked preferably from well experienced SPvP thieves that are using D/P to compete in the 2017 tournament. Thank you for your input though I really appreciate it, anybody else have a reply that can answer my questions? It would not only benefit me but I’m sure alot of other SPvP main thieves as well. Thanks again guys.

Aeroxe just got TOLD!

Miyoshinono, Yama no Akikaze Sayofukete, Furusato Samuku, Koromo Utsu Nari.

(edited by Kokoro.8437)

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

3. Marauders is great, it’s technically beserkers with far less risk and slightly lower burst. Paladins is amazing for duels but it gimps your burst when you +1, something which is essential for thief imo. It is meta after all as it gives the stats to capitalize on thief’s core strengths whilst allowing breathing space.

I’d like to add, in matches where there isn’t any risk of getting condi’d (no necros, warriors, or mesmers for the most part), demolisher’s is a great choice over marauders. Demolisher’s is superior vs. power damage, but weaker to condi slightly. The damage is the same as marauder.

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

Force sigil is better damage over time as in it averages out to more. But what you really want is burst damage and Air is better for that, unless you’re going for sustained teamfights which you shouldn’t be cause you’re… you know, a thief.

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Aeroxe.8140

Aeroxe.8140

These are some interesting suggestions, and I really do appreciate the willingness to step beyond the meta and strive higher. I can see how these improvements are justified, and I’ll have to look at it more later.

Good luck in your games!

Thief (main), ele, guard
Past member of most teams NA. Retired proleague season 1+2.
http://www.twitch.tv/aeroxe

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: ThatNAESLGuard.6238

ThatNAESLGuard.6238

These are some interesting suggestions, and I really do appreciate the willingness to step beyond the meta and strive higher. I can see how these improvements are justified, and I’ll have to look at it more later.

Good luck in your games!

stop being nice and put this guy in his place

Darek.1836

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

Metabattle is cookie cutter man my build is already tweaked beyond that.

Yet you play D/P SB lol…

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

There’s huge problems with what you are saying. Link your build so I can further help you.

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Rocky.8195

Okay nice answers. Here’s how I feel. I’ll reply to each number you listed.

1. My survive ability is already concrete in my Utility Skills alone. I run +% Precision in one weapon. The other I want a sigil that will get me the most DPS. The candidates are Force, Air, and Strength. Any thoughts on which of those will output the most DPS?

2. As far as I’m concerned Precision>Power>Ferocity. Therefore would Eagle runes not be better than Scholar?

2.1. Also let’s say I want to spec a little more for defense. I’m 100% sure that as a thief/DD your better off stacking Vitality than Toughness. So if that’s true and Vitality>Toughness, for me to get the best defense WITH damage benefit wouldn’t Exuberance be the best? thats a nice all around boost +100 Precision and +145 Power for me.

2.2 (Final) So the real question for me is. Out of Eagle, Scholar, and Infiltration. I have found Infiltration to be the most helpful and the best damage so far. However mathematically am I wrong? Does Eagle or Scholar trump it? Keep in mind Precision>Power>Ferocity.

3. Marauders for me would be the best if run with Exuberance because it counter balances you and Exuberance being the only real choice for defense runes imo I would run that with it. However should I just say F- It and run Marauders with an offense Rune? If so doesn’t Infiltration with it’s #6 seem to be the best set of runes to use?

3.1. If Paladin’s is the best for 1v1. Counterbalance with runes IMO is definitely needed. So it goes back to 2.2. If I ran Paladin’s, would Eagle, Scholar, or Infiltration be my best bet? Because if I went Exuberance then that would be to much of a kitten on my dps I believe. I really need a mathematical breakdown of Eagle, Scholar, Infiltration and even Exuberance by somebody more intelligent than me so we can find out once and for all which Rune truly gives the best DPS number-wise.

4. I understand why you like SOA over RFI. The cooldown does speak for itself. However my Critical Chance sits at 70% and even though it’s Active gives the endurance, I still find the extra 30 second wait for RFI to be more beneficial. The reason is that if I go in for a strike and get trapped, dazed, stunned or locked, even if I went full defense I still am squishy enough to get over half my health taken out in 1 hit. If I use RFI during that time I have not once failed to reset the entire fight. RFI, Headshot, B.Powder, Stealth stacks and milk it. With warriors it burns their CDs. Guardians burn Aegis. Mesmers gives Havoc and most of the time out-endures their stealth. I can go on however SOA doesn’t give me another chance to burst, reset cooldowns or time to think like RFI does. I find the extra 30 seconds worth it to be honest man.

Yea.

So basically. Which gives the best DPS number wise out of Force, Strength and Air? and which gives the best DPS out of Infiltration, Exuberance, Scholar and Eagle? Mathematically.

Merry Xmas boys.

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Rocky.8195

There’s huge problems with what you are saying. Link your build so I can further help you.

Dude I was hammered posting that, read the new reply.

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Rocky.8195

Good luck in your games!

stop being nice and put this guy in his place

It’s actually interesting man mathematically if I am sitting there attacking a dummy out of Force, Air and Strength with let’s say 70% CC which of those Sigils would give me the most sheet damage? And out of Exuberance, Infiltration, Eagle and Scholar. Which of those as well?

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Rocky.8195

Metabattle is cookie cutter man my build is already tweaked beyond that.

Yet you play D/P SB lol…

Yea there are many ways to play it. Considering I also switch between S/D, P/D and S/P as my off-hand and sometimes even Staff. Metabattle has out-dated and very incorrect information. It’s literally a starting point and we are very much meant to tweak our builds in search of the real meta. Like IDC what anyone says but pre-HoT most of you would say S/D D/P was the best but I am super confident in saying that P/D D/P had not only a stronger burst but better overall effectiveness despite it being cheese. Ricochet allowed you to apply constant pressure. Shadow Strike was OP to melee. Then the initial SS, Steal, SS, BP, Rapid Fire, SS then swap and spam HS was ridiculous. With the right Sigils and Runes you would apply Torment, Confusion, Bleeding and Poison in less than 2 seconds and with Heal in Shadows being the kitten and Dire being brand new. It was the most powerful by far for a long time and you didn’t even have to be good to play it. That’s just my opinion though.

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Rocky.8195

Bump. Waiting on all these pro thieves to help me be like them!!

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Oldman.4018

Oldman.4018

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Bump. Waiting on all these pro thieves to help me be like them!!

You had Aeroxe.8140 respond to your post, not sure what else you want.

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

I would say the optimal damage/defense ratio is here:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaVn8lCFOhlPBmOB8PhFYCbuDeCbhaJgAQGwLNcGaDA-TZBFABMcEAA4BAIeZACOFA1s/AA

The utilities are just what I usually use, there are other options.

It’s kinda pointless to ask for advice if you then dismiss all of it.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

OP if you want to improve first get out of the mindset that you are pro and innovative. Your weapons/sigils are bad but you think it’s superior and you dismiss the input of more experienced players, that is why you won’t get better.

It’s actually interesting man mathematically if I am sitting there attacking a dummy out of Force, Air and Strength with let’s say 70% CC which of those Sigils would give me the most sheet damage?

For example here, you approach it as if you were creating a PvE build. Enemies won’t stand still in PvP, they move, use skills, fight back that is why air and blood sigils are better as thief is a hit and run class not some consistent melee dps.

(edited by NotASmurf.1725)

D/P SB thief questions

in PvP

Rocky.8195

Wow not a single post yet has answered my question. I got insults, assumptions, and people explaining things that have hardly any relevance to my question. I am asking out of Force, Strength and Air which provides the better DPS.

And out of Eagle, Scholar, Infiltration and Exuberance which would provide the better DPS.

That is all man I mean absolutely no disrespect I’m just asking for what you all think out of those choices would provide the better DPS.