Dealing with bunker gaurdians

in PvP

Posted by: Spilluminati.3295

Spilluminati.3295

So this is a tactics, not a class balance discussion… I wanted to talk about one of the scenarios I see come up in matches every once in a while, and I wanted to see how people have learned to deal with it because it seems like a really strong strategy.

In my admittedly limited spvp experience a fully bunkered-out guardian, played at least decently, can sustain a 3v1 for over minute, and most 2v1s and 1v1s indefinitely. Now not killing much of anything at the same time, but properly specced out this class has the best tank in the game, and they are very good at not dying.

Which brings me to the point of conquest: the game mode is much weighted to controlling the map points and winning for your team, not how many kills you get necessarily (even moreso when they switch to rewarding for match wins only). And in this role bunker guardians seem exceptionally strong because they can roll in and hold individual points for the longest time, as well as disrupt captures. Because the point timer is continually ticking (to 500), the bunker role becomes pivotal because they’re the masters of attrition.

Now I’ve seen this in many 5v5 arena games: a single bunker guardian can carry their entire team by tying up more than half the enemy team at points for a long time. By hopping between points simply disrupting captures and holding people off while not dying. And when you have 2 bunker guardians on the same team employing that strategy… while the rest of their team just runs amok doing whatever, the tactic just seems SO strong its GG almost from the get go no matter what your team comp is, if you have no bunker guards on your side doing the same thing…

Bleh now that I’ve vented I’m curious are there any solid strategies or counters to the bunker guardian point-hopper build? Has this been a known meta in spvp for a while? Especially in solo Q it seem way strong because it’s a 1-man strategy, but which requires coordination from the entire opposing team to counter and focus down the bunker to dislodge them from a point…

in PvP

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

High poison uptime. They’re not facetanking the damage, they’re healing it back.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in PvP

Posted by: feliscatus.1430

feliscatus.1430

Boon hate/stripping, poison, and ranged attacks.

in PvP

Posted by: SimpleKingly.5021

SimpleKingly.5021

Ya I’d say guardians are 50% boons so you’d want to run a mesmer on your team when facing them. Just make sure he’s traited for boon strips and repeat shatters and that guardian is shut down entire game. I always send my mesmer for the guardian because he runs full boon strip/harass and the guardian can’t hold kitten on him.

Lowjin is my stripper name ;)
www.Twitch.tv/kreepingg

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

Strategy is basically counter him with another bunker on your own team so he is the one wasting time or use communication and hit him with all your DPS players at the same time (ie. portal bomb or w/e).

If you can CC and neut the point then many builds can beat him 1v1 and can be just left to deal with him. (DPS ele, engies, rangers, some necro, etc)

in PvP

Posted by: Forsaker.9213

Forsaker.9213

poison/weaknes , they will have mush less heal

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Yeah…. As a bunker guardian everything posted below the OP is true. Taking away our boons and constantly pressuring us with condi will wear us out…. And no bunker can tank 3v1 for very long in a small cap zone. Maybe in Graveyard. But 3v1 with the condi damage being thrown around is brutal.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: Lady Azjurai.3078

Lady Azjurai.3078

The zerg work when it’s a nice combo of dps/condi. Hate when they do that. Although it does feel real good to hold off half a team for a while.

Less good when you hold off half a team and the rest of yours still can’t get a cap :p