Defending in Stronghold

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Capitol City.4856

Capitol City.4856

I’ve been playing Stronghold today, and I’ve only done six or seven matches so I can’t say this with certainty, but it appears that there’s no point in defending because of the doorbreakers. In most of my games everyone opens by rushing door breakers with their first supply, and then run straight towards the enemy gates. I think this game is suppose to be set up so that 2 or 3 go to attack, and the rest defend, so that there’s some kind of interaction between teams, but doorbreakers have quite a bit of health and do a ton of damage to the gates, and so in just about every game I’ve played nobody goes to defend. The exception is if they enemy has gotten to your lord, then a few players will turn around to stop the enemy, but other than that and mist essence teams to fight each other because defending is so futile. Are my teams just as noobish as I am or are doorbreakers too OP to bother defending? You guys tell me.

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

Defending is a very viable strategy. Honestly, you can’t count much on pugs to defend. That’s not the game’s fault though. People like to kill, and they forgot that they need defending to win.

Last beta, the meta was about full defense. Go try that out, and you will see

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Capitol City.4856

I did try that, that’s why I made this post. When you defend, you have two options: go tanky so the enemy players beating on you while you attack doorbreakers don’t instantly down you, or: go glass cannon so you can take out the doorbreakers quickly.

If you go with the first option, the doorbreakers just ignore you and bust down the door. If you go with the second option, the enemy players burn right through you and kill you before you can kill the doorbreakers. And if you turn your attention to the enemy players instead of the doorbreakers, you might be able to ward off the players but then the doorbreakers have still easily and quickly broken right through your door. Defending is just a bad idea in all three of these circumstances.

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Sunshine.5014

I did try that, that’s why I made this post. When you defend, you have two options: go tanky so the enemy players beating on you while you attack doorbreakers don’t instantly down you, or: go glass cannon so you can take out the doorbreakers quickly.

Your guard instant down door breaker in one hit. And they attack other players too. Then you have the door to go in and out. Defending just have so much advantage, I’m not sure why you have problem with it. Unless you’re severely outmanned, I don’t see how you lose an equal fight defending.

(edited by Sunshine.5014)

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: sneakyfox.9804

sneakyfox.9804

More is obsolete than just defending. The treb is pretty much unused in all of my matches, and I don’t really see much in the way of archers spawned (although in the case of archers, that may be something players just haven’t learned yet). There’s a definite “spam the doorbreakers” meta going on here, although I’m not sure what anet could do to fix this.

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Sunshine.5014

Oh, and the treb, people just don’t know how to use it. It kills the door breakers in 2 hits. You can even aim it backward to your 2nd gate too.

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Capitol City.4856

Your guard instant down door breaker in one hit. And they attack other players too. Then you have the door to go in and out. Defending just have so much advantage, I’m not sure why you have problem with it. Unless you’re severely outmanned, I don’t see how you lose an equal fight defending.

The guards are dead as soon as the players walk out of the spawning area, unfortunately. That’s part of the problem with doorbreakers, their counter is dead before it counters.
As for the treb, I agree, I think if people learned how to use it, they could use it fairly effectively.

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Sunshine.5014

The guards are dead as soon as the players walk out of the spawning area, unfortunately. That’s part of the problem with doorbreakers, their counter is dead before it counters.
As for the treb, I agree, I think if people learned how to use it, they could use it fairly effectively.

You know why? because people rushed mid instead of rushing defend. Go directly to the guard. There is another path from the starting point, just FYI.

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

It seems like having 2 people on defense is enough to easily stall the enemy. Treb levels first wave of doorbreakers, and 2 people supporting each other can stop further small waves of NPCs even if the treb goes down.

The first outside guards are useless for everything except defeating undefended NPCs at the very beginning if the enemy goes for more supply or defense. I believe that is all they are meant to do.

Defending in Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

There’s a third option. Go condition heavy. NPCs don’t cleanse conditions on themselves and condition damage gear usually gives you pretty good sustain from armor or health.

I played a trapper ranger for several fights today with a lot of success in the defensive lane because of this. The conditions will kill the doorbreakers and any zerker build that goes against you pretty quickly, and you still have enough sustain to last against bunker or cele builds long enough to use the wall portals to escape before they can down you.