Defense is PUNISHED?

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Shieldbash.5304

Shieldbash.5304

I hold off a point, I try not to die I even kill a couple ppl and finally over whelmed I perish. My team mate runs in and kills whoever remaining he gets ALL the points?

I hold off the enemy team and get them to target me, of point hoping my team is on nodes whiles I suicide myself….. I get 0 points!!!!!

The game design favors zerg play!

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Why would you care about how many points you get?

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shieldbash.5304

When in a team I am judged by my points…….. Even though I grab a node or hold off the enemy , I am judged on point totals and called a noob even if I am the reason we are winning!

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shieldbash.5304

the guy that runs in for the cap gets the points, where I just fought 4 ppl and kiled 3 of them on that same node!

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shieldbash.5304

Perception is everything, if you have no points you are the weak link…. Even if you are the guy defending your team!

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Laraley.7695

So? Just don’t care about what he says, scoreboard means very little.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

As long as you get match credit (by getting any points at all), it doesn’t matter. Just do what is needed to win.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Yet another reason why the score board needs to get removed.

Keep the points earned, just don’t show it in game.
(Or only keep it private for yourself to see)

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

When in a team I am judged by my points…

No, you are not.

EU Aurora Glade

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

I fell off my chair when I finally read to the end of OP’s post. I thought he was talking about something else meaningful but then I realized the “Point” that he was talking about was the point on Scoreboard >__<

All is vain.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Don’t worry about the points, they are meaningless. Generally speaking, the more you stay on point and keep it from being capped the lower your score. The in-game points are silly and anyone worth their salt knows this. If someone trashes you for low score, you know they are a beginner. Just smile inside and move on.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The game design favor bunkering on point. The game scoreboard favors killing. So yeah…

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

Since I always play bunker/ support, I’m almost always the person with the least points. And this is normal, this is right. If for some reason I’m the person with the most points in the end of the game, that means something has gone terribly wrong.

The team work and the final result is what matters, not the personal score. Of course if I solo queue, sometimes I get moaned for this. But come on, who cares what some random people think?

The night is dark and full of turnips.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

People caring about the scores… Is this 2012?

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

God, I wish they would just remove that kitten scoreboard already. It’s completely useless and doesn’t give any accurate indication of whether or not you did anything of value at all for your team the whole game.

I mean, I know it’s designed for the more casually-inclined people who want to “score points” and such. It also used to be used in the daily achievements that have now gone away… but man, it’s the most useless measure of anything, and I’m one of these casually-inclined people that crap is designed for.

It reminds me of those people in MOBAs who claim they’re better than everyone on their team simply because their K/D ratio is higher… well, when they aren’t getting kitteny about “kill-stealing” in a team-based game, ugh.

EDIT: Why is “kitten ” (read: dayyyum) filtered, but “crap” isn’t? Good job guy that programmed the profanity filter (I wish I could turn that kitten crap off too).

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

Take some advice from Who’s Line Is It Anyway.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Belial.9350

Belial.9350

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

the guy that runs in for the cap gets the points, where I just fought 4 ppl and kiled 3 of them on that same node!

If you killed 3 of them then you got points, also points don’t matter.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shieldbash.5304

Well I’ve been solo queing Ranked, and people seem to care far more about scores than getting nodes and defending them.

The concept of the Scoreboard is faulty as its a false pretense of success… It should changed into a break down of Defenses, Caps, Kills, Resses, Healing Done, etc………

Its becoming kittenous plague, as more and more people enter the matches and are yelled at for doing nothing because they have 0 points! This causes players to just zerg fest killing other players in an attempt to get points so they look busy.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Well I’ve been solo queing Ranked, and people seem to care far more about scores than getting nodes and defending them.

Well I can’t say I’ve ever seen this, with the exception of someone getting 0 points.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shieldbash.5304

Well I can’t say I’ve ever seen this, with the exception of someone getting 0 points.

I play on Sea of Sorrows 7pm -10pm Eastern Time.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

I play on Sea of Sorrows 7pm -10pm Eastern Time.

Irrelevant what people care about, the points on the scoreboard have no correlation with how useful you are or how much you are contributing to the team score.
Forget it.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

dont care about points
just noobs care about them
who has more points mostly just zerg or have bigger AoE so they hit everyone and gain points from every death in that game.

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

When in a team I am judged by my points…….. Even though I grab a node or hold off the enemy , I am judged on point totals and called a noob even if I am the reason we are winning!

No one cares about points. If they are calling you a noob, it is likely because of other actions.

I can easily get the top points every single game while my team loses. Does that make me good? No.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: nightblood.7910

nightblood.7910

The problem is, points mean nothing in the game. There is actually no real way for you to have any idea of how well you contributed to a match because mechanics of good play do not necessarily correspond to a lot of points scored.

I really wish there was some way to judge and gauge personal performance in a match other than win/loss which also doesnt.

One horrible player can be carried by a good team and vice versa a good player can lose because they ended up with a horrible team.

I keep saying win/loss really doesnt mean much in this game either as you generally cant control the outcome of a match yourself.

I wish there was a way to have concrete evidence of personal performance in these matches.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

I’ve never once seen anybody give a crap about how many points somebody else has. Everybody knows they don’t mean anything.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

I hardly ever let points be a judge of who is good or bad. There was one match where I felt I was carrying the team. When I looked at the scoreboard I had over 100 points and the rest of the team had around 25. That was one of the rare times I knew the scoreboard was giving a good idea of how bad my pug was. Then again I have also been in plenty of matches where I was on the very bottom but I knew I was doing my job as a roamer because I wasn’t staying on a point to cap it when someone with more survivability was standing on it. Then again the only score I care about is the team score anyways.

All the experienced players don’t give a crap about the individual scores.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: BeefyKnight.4859

BeefyKnight.4859

Everyone saying don’t worry about personal points is right. I mostly play a high mobility warrior that excels at small fights rather then the larger teamfights. As a result of this I’m normally the guy running around wherever I’m needed, and then leaving the second the fight is over to go try to swing another one. What this means is that I almost always have the lowest points on my team, but that doesn’t mean I’m not contributing. It just means I’m not wasting my time standing on a point that is already being capped by a teammate. Personal points are a terrible indication of match contribution and I suggest you forget they even exist. On a side note, anyone that try’s to belittle you based on your personal score is ignorant and should be ignored.

(edited by BeefyKnight.4859)

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Well, here’s how you tell a horrible player by his points. He ends the match with 0.
I’m sorry, while i agree that points don’t mean much, but when your team averages 150, and you have 50. Maybe you’re not putting in that much. Sure bunkers do get the short end of a stick, but if a point is being contested then he’ll get points. If he sits there a whole match on a point that’s never contested, might make sense for him to go defend a different point, maybe (its a per situation thing of course, but if he’s alone in a uncontested point, and the team is losing the other two because they’re effectively one man down, he might be needed bunkering somewhere else), and thus get more points.

In fact that’s one way that can distort your score vs your actual contribution. You might roam hunting stragglers, getting a lot of Skirmisher points, but not really helping to point cap and defense. You end up losing on a high score. This is why its bad when most people on your team are fighting off-point.
I’ll call bs on Shadow where he says Roamer getting kills gets the least points. If you’re getting kills, you’re getting points. Usually Roamers rake the most points from my experience.

I do agree the scoreboard needs reviewing, and should be tweaked to better show your performance. Also might not hurt if we could get comparative stats (kinda like LoL) where you can see your damage, heals, resses, caps, kills, etc compared to everyone else. Because sometimes you think you’re doing awesome, and you’re just picking up single stragglers, while their team is rushing your points somewhere else.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Laraley.7695

I’ll call bs on Shadow where he says Roamer getting kills gets the least points. If you’re getting kills, you’re getting points. Usually Roamers rake the most points from my experience.

I do agree with you, however sometimes you might not get points for the kills. It happened to me a few times when I was moving between two points and got the kills, but the players were left to bleed out and in the end I wasn’t recognized as someone who killed them, too.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

ReaverKane.7598

I do agree with you, however sometimes you might not get points for the kills. It happened to me a few times when I was moving between two points and got the kills, but the players were left to bleed out and in the end I wasn’t recognized as someone who killed them, too.

That’s a very specific case, and usually you’d make sure they die lol, i mean, them bleeding to death allows them to rally after?

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Laraley.7695

That’s a very specific case, and usually you’d make sure they die lol, i mean, them bleeding to death allows them to rally after?

No, usually you let people bleed out if it’s possible because you prevent them from playing for quite a long time.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Remove the freakin scoreboard already.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

ReaverKane.7598

No, usually you let people bleed out if it’s possible because you prevent them from playing for quite a long time.

Ah, sure, but you still have to make sure they don’t heal and rally. Which would keep the kill for you, no?

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Laraley.7695

Ah, sure, but you still have to make sure they don’t heal and rally. Which would keep the kill for you, no?

Not if you move between points and it takes quite a lot of time before they actually die. This happens when you +1 people on different nodes and move between those.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Marciolegal.3461

Marciolegal.3461

There is one thing the scoreboard is good to. Avoid bullying. Ppl only look at the scoreboard when the team looses, to find who to blame. In this cases I just make sure I’m not in the bottom.

But, after reading how the rank points system work, it is simpler to just try and get as close as possible to 400 pts.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Regarding points: Anything less than 30 points at the end of a game is bad. The rest is impossible to tell and may just be down to kitten poor luck.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shieldbash.5304

This! You want to leave them on the ground dying so it takes longer for them to respawn and help their team again…

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shieldbash.5304

I just feel, if I am defending mid the node should give me maybe 5 points for every 15-20 seconds I am on it defending it.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

As long as you have more than 0, points mean absolutely nothing in terms of calculating your pvp rewards. If you’re worried about people belittling you for having less points, you’re running with the wrong crowd.

I do agree with your point though. If you were periodically awarded points for sitting on a capped point it would feel more rewarding and encourage players to defend. Totally meaningless for the game but would actually be pretty cool.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shadow.1345

When you’re fighting for a point and there is someone else there they also get points for the kill. Then when you leave that point for the other person to cap they get the points from the kill + the points for the cap thus giving that person more points. That was the point I was making. Sometimes playing Roamer I do get the most points, sometimes I don’t but when you’re not getting that 10 points for Neutralizer and then the following 10 points for Point Capture that is 20 less points you get than the guy who got the same points for killing that you got.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

I just feel, if I am defending mid the node should give me maybe 5 points for every 15-20 seconds I am on it defending it.

I actually would like this.

It would encourage those scoreboard kitten to stand on a point and defend it instead of just capping and running away.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

It would encourage those scoreboard kitten to stand on a point and defend it instead of just capping and running away.

And then you’ll have those afking on nodes when the team fight is over on the other side of the map and/or another point is free to decap.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I feel the scoreboard would be a lot more accurate if you earned a small number of points per second when actively fighting someone on a point.

I’d further expand on that by having you only accumulate points when fighting on a point you own or is contested, thus increasing player initiative to decap and hold a point rather than fighting for an extended period of time on a point your enemy has firm control of. Fighting on a point you control would offer slightly more points per second than fighting on a contested point so that players will want to cement the capture faster.

So the most points would be awarded to those who can QUICKLY capture the most nodes and the people who can successfully maintain control of their nodes without being decapped. But if no one is attacking the node you’re trying to bunker you wouldn’t get any points as you were just wasting your time not rotating properly.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shadow.1345

I feel the scoreboard would be a lot more accurate if you earned a small number of points per second when actively fighting someone on a point.

I’d further expand on that by having you only accumulate points when fighting on a point you own or is contested, thus increasing player initiative to decap and hold a point rather than fighting for an extended period of time on a point your enemy has firm control of. Fighting on a point you control would offer slightly more points per second than fighting on a contested point so that players will want to cement the capture faster.

So the most points would be awarded to those who can QUICKLY capture the most nodes and the people who can successfully maintain control of their nodes without being decapped. But if no one is attacking the node you’re trying to bunker you wouldn’t get any points as you were just wasting your time not rotating properly.

A good idea however that is mostly covered with Point Assaulter and Point Defender points being awarded in addition to the points given for Player Kills and Skirmisher.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

The scoreboard actually is a bigger problem than some of you think.

There are plenty who actually cares about their score and tend to play a way to earn more points even though it is detrimental to their team. So this is definitely something that needs to be removed

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyrie.1794

Valkyrie.1794

In my time in PvP I’ve seen plenty of people leave a still-contested point to essentially chase the rabbits. That’s my cue to at least stand there until it’s ours so that we get points for the team. When a team spends too much time fighting off-point, or with the whole team distracted by a few enemy players running bunker builds, it’s a recipe for disaster. I think the key is to “actively” hold your points. When I’m in I’ll join the large fight that often happens at mid, but I make sure to keep an eye on home so that we don’t end up with an “oops, only have one point lol at least we killed these 2 people” situation.

Defense is PUNISHED?

in PvP

Shieldbash.5304

And then you’ll have those afking on nodes when the team fight is over on the other side of the map and/or another point is free to decap.

Afkers on nodes is far superior then Afkers off them…