Devs: What do you think about rank in sPvP?

in PvP

Posted by: RalekShin.2083

RalekShin.2083

Hello people! I’m just wondering what you devs think about the ranking system in sPvP. Because obviousley, it’s no “real” ranking system, which makes me think this system was only a thing you implemented in the game for now, before you implement a system that really does show how good you actually are.

But of course the system as it is now can show skill in a way too. I mean, the more you play, the better you usually gets. But there are still a problem I’m sure you are aware of: If I play to rank 15 with my gaurdian and then realize that I don’t like being a gaurdian and then switches to Necro, then my rank 15 will missguide a little when people try to figure out if I’m good or not, for example in LFG.

So the question is: did you guys implement the system to show how good you are (It’s called RANK after all), or was it just for us to have something to strive for?

And also, there is always a big discussion in HoTM whether rank shows if you actually can play the game.. What do you devs think, does it show anything at all?

And then to the obvious question: When will we see some kind of leaderboards?

in PvP

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Rank is intended to be a metric to show much how you’ve played of PvP, and how experienced you are over-all as a result. The various banners that come with rank is a bit of a prestige thing that says “I’ve played me a ton of PvP!”

The addition of our new paid tournaments, and the features that will follow after it will be how we answer that clear question of: “who is the best”. We think it’s important to have both. As we begin our new live releases, starting with Shadow of the Mad King (and the new pvp hero tab and paid tournaments) you’ll see pvp feature additions come very regularly going forward!

All the best and happy n00b stomping,

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

This is great news, thanks for the info.

in PvP

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

Rank is intended to be a metric to show much how you’ve played of PvP, and how experienced you are over-all as a result. The various banners that come with rank is a bit of a prestige thing that says “I’ve played me a ton of PvP!”

The addition of our new paid tournaments, and the features that will follow after it will be how we answer that clear question of: “who is the best”. We think it’s important to have both. As we begin our new live releases, starting with Shadow of the Mad King (and the new pvp hero tab and paid tournaments) you’ll see pvp feature additions come very regularly going forward!

I don’t want to be the unpleasant guy, but I want to know if you ArenaNet are aware that many people are faming rank points capping a node alternatively with a friend.
While in Guild Wars it wasn’t possible, it is sad that it is happening here because it wastes all the usefulness of rank.

in PvP

Posted by: Almaz.2860

Almaz.2860

I don’t want to be the unpleasant guy, but I want to know if you ArenaNet are aware that many people are faming rank points capping a node alternatively with a friend.
While in Guild Wars it wasn’t possible, it is sad that it is happening here because it wastes all the usefulness of rank.

I’m sure they knew this was going to happen before people started doing it. I don’t recommend saying these things to them, unless you add a solution with it.

If you come up with a good enough solution then they’ll use it, but in meantime no one has, and I’m sure they don’t want to waste resources on banning/warning people who do things like this. If your solution is simple then they can put it in their plans, but in the meantime it seems like a complicated issue that is hard for them to detect automatically without harming innocent players.

in PvP

Posted by: Tinius.1380

Tinius.1380

Well, there are probably some players doing that, but I don’t really see what would be their point. It’s absolutely boring, you don’t really get more fame than in a normal match, and the only reward you will get is one chest per rank. I dare to say no normal person would actually want to do this boring stuff on a regular basis.

in PvP

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

I’m hoping to see Leaderboards and an ELO ranking system like in LoL that can act as a malleable, progressive form of advancement other than gear. The one thing that PvP’rs like to wear as a testament to their skill is a title and leaderboard rank.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

i don’t like ranks this way because people can farm them . i would prefer some other rank for tournament only or ladder only.
like some new cultural armors craftable only with some new ticket you gain by winning payed tournaments or something like that.

in PvP

Posted by: shiNn.2571

shiNn.2571

Eloranking will be still a better indicator

Mighty Shinn
Jealous Much [JM]