Devs dueling in the mists on ready up show

in PvP

Posted by: piffdaddy.8014

piffdaddy.8014

Don’t get me wrong…I thought the new pvp show “ready up” by anet was absolutely great and I look forward to seeing it more. One thing that upset me though, is how easy it was for the devs to duel each other in the heart of the mists. Power and Karl dueled in the heart of the mists by the golems to demonstrate new healing skills. In order to duel, all karl had to do was enter ONE LINE OF CODE!!!!!

This is unacceptable because we have been begging for dueling since the game launched and even beta. Every other major mmo has dueling everywhere in the pve world, except maybe cities but they allow dueling right out front which gives people a lot to do in their spare time. The fact that they can just enter one line of code and duel each other sickens me….it is pure laziness that dueling has not been added to this mmo yet. Dueling should be done by the skills and balance/pve team so the pvp team wouldn’t have to worry about it. It would give people a lot to do while waiting for queues/screwing around etc.

Please implement dueling….I am very sad after seeing the devs do it so easily when we wait over a year and still no talk of dueling…

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Did think that when I saw it… There should be safe zones for sure, but either a duel system or a partitioned FFA area in HoM would be sweet…

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

Not all of us want dueling in the game. At least not in the open world. If it’s in some kind of arena, I’m totally cool with it however.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

I think dueling in the open world is incredibly fun. If you find annoying to be spammed by duel requests, they just add an option to deny all incoming duel requests and solved.

in PvP

piffdaddy.8014

Not all of us want dueling in the game. At least not in the open world. If it’s in some kind of arena, I’m totally cool with it however.

So because you don’t like dueling, we shouldn’t get this feature that EVERY MMO HAS? Think of all the epic pvp videos that could be made of duels in the beautiful pve world…lots of people did this with other games. If you went to the wow forum and said you don’t want dueling you would be LAUGHED AT. If you don’t want to duel you check the option that says block duel requests ORR just decline the duel option when it pops up. The people who are against dueling are mostly bads who dont want to have to face the embarassment of declining a duel. Even though the duel is only for fun…no rewards attached at all.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuruptz.4782

Kuruptz.4782

What the pip? if you dont want to duel never duel

what kind of argument is this

some of us dont want dueling? what if it exist will it hurt you? dont like it never use it

in PvP

piffdaddy.8014

What the pip? if you dont want to duel never duel

what kind of argument is this

some of us dont want dueling? what if it exist will it hurt you? dont like it never use it

Sad, is it not? This seems to be the argument I get from people whenever I bring up dueling. How about this: I don’t like the fact that precursors can come from the mystic forge. No more random mystic forging for precursors because I DON’T LIKE IT. How about that? Makes no sense does it? That is how every argument against dueling sounds and yet the devs seem to listen to them.

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

You dont even say why you dont want dueling. Lets pretend you did, then i would say ‘but you dont have to duel if you dont want to.’ Its like people just type things without even thinking about what argument they’re putting forth.

Dueling doesnt mean that every thief out there can backstab your face off while you’re grinding.

in PvP

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

Yeah, I was shocked to see that as well. I mean, the feature is already there. All they have to do is add some UI popups and you are good to go. They apparently decided that we don’t need such fun features to distract ourselves. Only the Devs need it. For Dev stuff.

in PvP

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

You cannot say for sure that dueling is in. For all we care, the command might just make him hostile to everyone in the area. Proper dueling support requires more fine tuning and interface work to handle duel invites etc…

in PvP

piffdaddy.8014

You cannot say for sure that dueling is in. For all we care, the command might just make him hostile to everyone in the area. Proper dueling support requires more fine tuning and interface work to handle duel invites etc…

They should have known better than to tease the playerbase with dueling when they know it has been a top request….There are a number of ways it could be implemented using that piece of code. It is just not a top priority because if they allow pve dueling then people will want to use their pve gear to fight others. Then people will realize how separating spvp with a brick wall from the rest of the game was a bad idea. That is the cold hard truth…IF we ever get dueling I bet it will be heart of the mists only (pvp amulet).

in PvP

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

Probably the truth is:
All of the conent (pve, as well as pve) ANet has implemented so far / will implement in the future was already created ~1 year ago, or maybe even when it was released.
They just didn’t add all the stuff right from the begining, as this would mean they would need to create new stuff.
So every “Update”, just another feature, which was developed in the very past, gets activated.

in PvP

piffdaddy.8014

Give us dueling!!!

in PvP

Posted by: WitchKing.5317

WitchKing.5317

Yeah, this would be a fun and easy feature to put in. Plz consider it anet would be tons of fun!

Fanged Wisdom- [BBQ]/[OMFG]
The Corrupt Mesmer Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Its not one line of code, its a command that activates several lines of codes.

That said, I want to duel my friends without:

1. press go to heart of the mists, go through a loading screen
  2. open gem store and buy 1800 gems
  3. create custom arena with password
  4. enter custom arena, another loading screen.
  5. duel
  6. when the dungeon group or something gets filled, go to heart of the miste, loading screen.
  7. go back to pve, loading screen.

We probably spend more time in loading screens than actual duelling to kill time >_<

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

custom arena – only reason why they dont put this inGame^^

in PvP

Posted by: vangedas.7358

vangedas.7358

custom arena – only reason why they dont put this inGame^^

except custom arena is not nearly the same as dueling..
in the dueling servers:
- you either don’t get to duel who you want
- don’t get to duel at all (if you don’t click fast enough)

or if you just want to duel a friend 1v1
- it’s clumsy and takes time if you don’t have your own custom arena

anyway, if dueling is so easy to implement, I just don’t see the reason why not, when so many people want it..

in PvP

Posted by: Soul.5947

Soul.5947

In order to duel, all karl had to do was enter ONE LINE OF CODE!!!!!

i am with you on this post, it was a big facepalm moment. I felt disappointed with the devs when i saw that

in PvP

Posted by: aeroh.8930

aeroh.8930

Have you considered that they don’t allow dueling because they don’t want people dueling, not because they can’t allow it? That it would just shine a spotlight on another unbalanced area of the game and create more drama?

Some builds are just stupid in one vs one situations, like P/D thieves and PU mesmers. People would be asking the devs to balance around dueling and they have enough trouble balancing team pvp, wvw, and pve.

in PvP

Posted by: josh.7390

josh.7390

If it is that easy to implement, why don’t you go with a system like WildStar is going to have? When you right-klick on a players name you can ask for a duel, whichthe other has to accept…

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

Waiting for dev answer

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

If it is that easy to implement, why don’t you go with a system like WildStar is going to have? When you right-klick on a players name you can ask for a duel, whichthe other has to accept…

Like every other mmo lol. Just don’t allow duels in cities, IE Lion’s Arch, Divinity’s reach. Give players the option, to block all duel requests, so they can’t be spammed with invites. And profit!

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in PvP

piffdaddy.8014

Have you considered that they don’t allow dueling because they don’t want people dueling, not because they can’t allow it? That it would just shine a spotlight on another unbalanced area of the game and create more drama?

Some builds are just stupid in one vs one situations, like P/D thieves and PU mesmers. People would be asking the devs to balance around dueling and they have enough trouble balancing team pvp, wvw, and pve.

Dueling would just be a fun thing to do, and it’s not like it isn’t possible now in a custom arena. And also, you think 1v1 doesn’t happen in tpvp? Especially in solo queue it happens a lot. I think dueling would be a great fun thing to do for both pve and pvp players alike. Being able to duel out in the world would give pve players something to do while they wait for a boss to spawn instead of just standing around and it would be nice for pvp players to be able to duel in the mists.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Dueling in the mists would be amazing to reel new PvPers into the game.

There’s a massive community of people that love to participate and spectate duels/2v2. Lots in the PvP community, a huge amount of them exist in the WvW community, some in the PvE community, too, I’m sure. Everybody in an MMO wants to know if they can mess their friends up or vice-versa.

If the Mists became a more universal hang-out for players, you can be certain there’d be more people in the mists chat forming pugs. That’s something that I haven’t seen for months.. LFM tPvP – this never happens. SoloQ has definitely filled that niche. I think anything that gets players together in a PvP environment, like dueling, would have enormous value on the tPvP community.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Insyder.3871

Insyder.3871

While dueling is something that can be done, it’s not something that’s in the game right now. They might not want to spend resources on making dueling at this time for whatever reason.

My guess what we saw in the stream is just dev switching his character from neutral team to some other team. Different teams are hostile towards each other, that’s why they could fight. The same thing dev did in wvw stream some other time. Also if you watched closely when he pulled out the map, you’ll see that all waypoints were contested just like in wvw for waypoints from other teams.

While this same technique might be possible to implement for dueling, it’s probably more complicated then you think.

Personally I like to have option of dueling, either right click > duel, or like in certain game I used to play have “pvp capes”. I prefer pvp capes type of dueling then just 1v1 dueling option. For example, when you put on a red cape you are part of “team red” and can attack any people who are wearing pvp capes except people with red cape. Of course there was also free-for-all cape that allowed you to attack everyone with any kind of cape. With this method you can easily make 1v1/1v2/2v2/3v3 etc. or 10 free-for-all duels anywhere where you want, except cities.

in PvP

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Its not one line of code, its a command that activates several lines of codes.

That said, I want to duel my friends without:

1. press go to heart of the mists, go through a loading screen
  2. open gem store and buy 1800 gems
  3. create custom arena with password
  4. enter custom arena, another loading screen.
  5. duel
  6. when the dungeon group or something gets filled, go to heart of the miste, loading screen.
  7. go back to pve, loading screen.

We probably spend more time in loading screens than actual duelling to kill time >_<

Why would you have to go to the mist? You can enter arenas from everywhere.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

in PvP

Adian.8756

So because you don’t like dueling, we shouldn’t get this feature that EVERY MMO HAS? Think of all the epic pvp videos that could be made of duels in the beautiful pve world…lots of people did this with other games. If you went to the wow forum and said you don’t want dueling you would be LAUGHED AT. If you don’t want to duel you check the option that says block duel requests ORR just decline the duel option when it pops up. The people who are against dueling are mostly bads who dont want to have to face the embarassment of declining a duel. Even though the duel is only for fun…no rewards attached at all.

Hahaha. Wow, that escalated quickly. Way to pass judgement without knowing who you’re talking to. I’ve most likely been ranked higher than you ever will in sPvP, and I solo/duo roam on a regular basis in WvW, winning 1vX & 2vX’s constantly. Not wanting dueling in the open world has nothing to do with me being afraid of losing – otherwise, why would I accept it in an Arena? Haha.

The real reason is actually an aesthetic one. I’d hate to have the beautiful world of GW2 ruined by PvE scrubs dueling everywhere. It goes against the lore and the design of game, unless it’s done inside some kind of arena.

Now go be shallow somewhere else. Thanks.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
WvW Beast!

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Excuse me but it isnt one line of code.

They used one command who turned him enemy. This wouldn’t work for dueling.

Dueling needs to be a consense decision between two players, and not just 1 player forcing the duel down the other player’s throat.

They would need to develop a rightclick command, for easy-to-acess, and not a chat command. They would need to make a new UI-box pop up requiring the other player to either accept or deny the duel. Those text boxes would need to be localized, etc. Not to mention their style would need to be formatted to GW2-UI style.

Then there’s also the question of how a duel ends? Does it end with 1 downed player, does it end with a stomp? How do you deal with armor repairs from after the dueling if you finish the other player? How to disable that feature momentarily? Can people abuse dueling to avoid getting armor repair (fighting mobs while “dueling”)? What constitutes a dueling-zone?

Questions, questions.

I’m not saying it’s hard, but it ain’t easy either as you’re all making it to be.

in PvP

piffdaddy.8014

Hahaha. Wow, that escalated quickly. Way to pass judgement without knowing who you’re talking to. I’ve most likely been ranked higher than you ever will in sPvP, and I solo/duo roam on a regular basis in WvW, winning 1vX & 2vX’s constantly. Not wanting dueling in the open world has nothing to do with me being afraid of losing – otherwise, why would I accept it in an Arena? Haha.

The real reason is actually an aesthetic one. I’d hate to have the beautiful world of GW2 ruined by PvE scrubs dueling everywhere. It goes against the lore and the design of game, unless it’s done inside some kind of arena.

You diss “pve scrubs”, but then you go and talk about lore…kind of ironic is it not? And just because you can kill pve scrubs as a roamer on a stealth class does not make you good nor your opinion fact….also spvp leaderboard has been a big joke before the reset and now many people do not play, so again farming pugs does not make you good or validateyour opinion on dueling.

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

Waiting for dev answer

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Please send me this mystical one line of actual c++ code. I haven’t found it myself yet, so this would greatly reduce my workload!

In seriousness though, what you saw was not dueling. We have to ability to change our teams using cheats, which would cause a free-for-all in the lobby. What you really want is only two players hostile towards each other, which is much more complicated that using teams.

Quickfoot has the right idea. Things are never easy.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

(edited by Evan Lesh.3295)

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Please send me this one line of code. I haven’t found it myself yet, so this would greatly reduce my workload!

In seriousness though, what you saw was not dueling. We have to ability to change our teams using cheats, which would cause a free-for-all in the lobby. What you really want is only two players hostile towards each other, which is much more complicated that using teams.

Can you do this instead? this sounds much much better Free for all in lobby sounds like the best time Ever, put it on a timer like every 15 minutes o_O

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Please send me this one line of code. I haven’t found it myself yet, so this would greatly reduce my workload!

Can you do this instead? this sounds much much better Free for all in lobby sounds like the best time Ever, put it on a timer like every 15 minutes o_O

Maybe there can be a free for all pit you can jump into People trying to duel would get angry if other’s jumped in though.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

It would be cool if Anet could organize a one-time-only, Free for All lobby event someday.

EDIT A pit would be even cooler!

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Maybe there can be a free for all pit you can jump into People trying to duel would get angry if other’s jumped in though.

Can we make this pit directly between the PVE portal and the Lion;s Arch portal? and make it pretty much un-avoidable if you wanna go to LA ?

in PvP

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

ahem

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/120121/preview.jpg

fine print: angry people dueling included.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

I always thought an FFA match would be amazing.

Put it in some PvE Dungeon or something, or perhaps even the Queen’s Pavillion map, without mobs of course. Running through the corridors of Ascalonian Catacombs, hunting enemies and trying to survive… I think it could become a very fun game mode.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Can we make this pit directly between the PVE portal and the Lion;s Arch portal? and make it pretty much un-avoidable if you wanna go to LA ?

Hi! Welcome to PvP! This game mode can be very fun! Oh, by the way, you are now dead! Enjoy your stay in the mists!

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Well no; you wouldn’t drop in right away.. after maybe 5 steps.. and you’d get like 10 seconds to get back up

in PvP

Posted by: Mac Maritimus.8327

Mac Maritimus.8327

Easy.

Ask Aion developers to give the code. You are owned by NCSoft arent you?

Mac
Polar Bears [Paw]
http://polarbears-guild.com

in PvP

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

It would be cool if we could right click someones name and request a duel which then only you two would become hostile towards each other. Or just make a dueling arena that you can queue for in general and add a ladder for it. Either way is fine with me. I like the ladder dueling arena idea but the request a duel would be good enough. Implement please.

in PvP

Posted by: Mac Maritimus.8327

Mac Maritimus.8327

It would be cool if we could right click someones name and request a duel which then only you two would become hostile towards each other. Or just make a dueling arena that you can queue for in general and add a ladder for it. Either way is fine with me. I like the ladder dueling arena idea but the request a duel would be good enough. Implement please.

So, just like Aion had/have 3 years ago.

Mac
Polar Bears [Paw]
http://polarbears-guild.com

in PvP

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

Could you not simply add a class property “pk” of type boolean into the player struct that would enable any player with the value “true” to attack each other?

Also, since C++ is not a whitespace based language you can theoretically write every thing in one line.

int main( void ) { std::cout << “Yes you can!” << std::endl; std::cin.get( ); return 0; }

If you would be kind enough to turn off address space layout randomization I might actually take the effort to write it for you. :-)

Do you even know how complicated writing code in big corporations is? You can’t just casually write some things here and there, unless you want to be fired.

Also, this would be rather a class, not a struct…

Signed, level 1 alt

in PvP

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Hmmhmm; I remember how that was in another game I’ve played. It worked with chatcommands:

@duel playername —> sends a duel-request to said player
@accept --> accept duel-request
@deny —> deny duel-request
@duel x --> x is any number; opens a duel in which x amount of people can participate (all vs all; partymembers can’t hurt eachother)
@invite playername —> invites player to a duel (usually used for duels with more than two players participating)
@leave --> leaves a duel

Of course you could also make that /commands. You could also restrict the usage of those commands to certain maps, or maybe even parts of maps.

Now I obviously don’t know how hard it would be to code such a thing, but I felt like sharing this. ^^

(edited by Saturn.6591)

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Free for all pit like in the old days of WoW would be a great start.

Here are some ideas for locations.

1. Stoneguard Waypoint http://i.imgur.com/gMOO8moh.jpg

2. Section in the Crown Pavalion http://i.imgur.com/wqvOtmZh.jpg

3. The Bane http://i.imgur.com/THcrSBKh.jpg

4. Snowblind Peaks. http://i.imgur.com/fVlSniTh.jpg

in PvP

Posted by: Oraith.1732

Oraith.1732

Free for all pit like in the old days of WoW would be a great start.

Here are some ideas for locations.

1. Stoneguard Waypoint http://i.imgur.com/gMOO8moh.jpg

2. Section in the Crown Pavalion http://i.imgur.com/wqvOtmZh.jpg

3. The Bane http://i.imgur.com/THcrSBKh.jpg

4. Snowblind Peaks. http://i.imgur.com/fVlSniTh.jpg

Ha that would actually be cool. There would have to be a section in heart of the mists ofc

in PvP

Adian.8756

You diss “pve scrubs”, but then you go and talk about lore…kind of ironic is it not? And just because you can kill pve scrubs as a roamer on a stealth class does not make you good nor your opinion fact….also spvp leaderboard has been a big joke before the reset and now many people do not play, so again farming pugs does not make you good or validateyour opinion on dueling.

I play Shatter. No stealth.
Never played Hotjoin nor SoloQ. And if you call AKGL Phantom or Paradigm pugs, then sure – I “farmed” pugs.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
WvW Beast!

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Why do you people want dueling so badly in a game that is so blatantly horrible at 1v1 balance?

All you would ever see are Thieves and Mesmer asking to duel with that horrible stealth build.

in PvP

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Hmmhmm; I remember how that was in another game I’ve played. It worked with chatcommands:

@duel playername —> sends a duel-request to said player
@accept --> accept duel-request
@deny —> deny duel-request
@duel x --> x is any number; opens a duel in which x amount of people can participate (all vs all; partymembers can’t hurt eachother)
@invite playername —> invites player to a duel (usually used for duels with more than two players participating)
@leave --> leaves a duel

Of course you could also make that /commands. You could also restrict the usage of those commands to certain maps, or maybe even parts of maps.

Now I obviously don’t know how hard it would be to code such a thing, but I felt like sharing this. ^^

That’s actually an awesome idea. Kinda like mine except with more than 1 person. Would be a great way to fill the time waiting for your queue to pop for matches as well as improving your skill.

in PvP

Posted by: josh.7390

josh.7390

holy kitten, a FFA 10v10 arena sounds freaking hilarious. implent that kitten!!