Devs only allowed to play power Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Great to have a dev in the forums. Been seeing more anet in wvw as well.

He is not a dev. He’s a QA embed, basically like Gaile, he holds little sway on balancing decisions by a dev team.

The devs have said it’s not their job to communicate to the community, which is why they hire community reps and send lower ranking employees to deliver their canned messages about whatever changes for a patch.

Many of the devs that were here for GW2’s release are not even here anymore.

Chapman, Peters, they’re gone.

Meh I’m a dev and I hate talking with clients. Try working for marketing guys. They want to talk on the phone for hours, piling on work and never letting you actually get anything done.

Just having someone from anet around is a good thing. Actual dev team hours are probably better spent on the game anyway.

Yeah, I bet. That lack of communication has totally allowed for pets to hit moving targets, for power necro let alone greatsword to be a thing, and it totally didn’t take them over 3 years just so their PvE content didn’t obliterate pet/minion classes out of relevance (which still happens in WvW) because they pepper combat systems with omnipresent aoe, and somehow the strongest aoe classes are also the strongest single target ones since apparently aoe attacks don’t have a penalty in this game.

Oh, wait, it didn’t. Go figure, developers don’t necessarily know better than the people who spend unholy amount of hours playtesting builds and classes.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Funnily enough I mostly played power necro when climbing to legend last season. The build I played is pretty janky, but it was a fun change of pace and ended up being a bit better than I expected.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBIhZ6kZTocTsbTwdTgeTsgLYQXtAwBgKN0GeWxXxuYYE-TpBFABMcEAA4BAU/+DNcIAEvMABnAAA

Depending on the amount of condi builds on the enemy team I would swap in plague signet, and if the enemy comp was super condi heavy I would swap SR for curses to get the extra plague signet proc as well.

Not trying to say power necro is top tier or anything but it was good enough to win games with and pretty fun to play.

Sorry just looked at the build and realized you had no stun breakers.

Im guessing its why people were complaining pretty hard about MATCH MAKING

in PvP

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Great to have a dev in the forums. Been seeing more anet in wvw as well.

He is not a dev. He’s a QA embed, basically like Gaile, he holds little sway on balancing decisions by a dev team.

The devs have said it’s not their job to communicate to the community, which is why they hire community reps and send lower ranking employees to deliver their canned messages about whatever changes for a patch.

Many of the devs that were here for GW2’s release are not even here anymore.

Chapman, Peters, they’re gone.

Meh I’m a dev and I hate talking with clients. Try working for marketing guys. They want to talk on the phone for hours, piling on work and never letting you actually get anything done.

Just having someone from anet around is a good thing. Actual dev team hours are probably better spent on the game anyway.

Yeah, I bet. That lack of communication has totally allowed for pets to hit moving targets, for power necro let alone greatsword to be a thing, and it totally didn’t take them over 3 years just so their PvE content didn’t obliterate pet/minion classes out of relevance (which still happens in WvW) because they pepper combat systems with omnipresent aoe, and somehow the strongest aoe classes are also the strongest single target ones since apparently aoe attacks don’t have a penalty in this game.

Oh, wait, it didn’t. Go figure, developers don’t necessarily know better than the people who spend unholy amount of hours playtesting builds and classes.

lol I hear ya. I’m pretty much in take what I can get mode at this point though. I’ve seen too many games die.

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

Funnily enough I mostly played power necro when climbing to legend last season. The build I played is pretty janky, but it was a fun change of pace and ended up being a bit better than I expected.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBIhZ6kZTocTsbTwdTgeTsgLYQXtAwBgKN0GeWxXxuYYE-TpBFABMcEAA4BAU/+DNcIAEvMABnAAA

Depending on the amount of condi builds on the enemy team I would swap in plague signet, and if the enemy comp was super condi heavy I would swap SR for curses to get the extra plague signet proc as well.

Not trying to say power necro is top tier or anything but it was good enough to win games with and pretty fun to play.

This build has a stun breaker. I have played it last two days in solo queue. It was fun. I just switched to augury of death and sigil of strength for sigil of air. It has so much more sustain as all those condi meta builds because of insane life force generation.

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Too me this thread sound like a perfect example why there is “no” diversity in this game. People are so afraid to try something else, they go with the flow, everyone complains about the GS for necros my girlfriend had a match a while ago where someone told her to Uninstall GW2 becouse she used GS, surprised he was when we won the match and (I know it doesn’t say much) she had the highest standards score by far.

And I see some players here getting almost angry at a Dev for being kind and truthful. This Dev promised to try GS and so he did, he came to the conclusion that it was okay but using dagger may be even more usefull than GS. Also as I have understand this, this dev is not responsible for balancing.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Two things about this thread:

I’m impressed a dev is taking the time to be honest about what he feels is successful in games and is explaining why he favors a certain build.

I’m equally as surprised at how many people are borderline berating for doing so.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Posted by: Drakril.4058

Drakril.4058

Pwr Necro is Meta Boizz, Just has one of the highest skill caps given lack of mobility & defensive utilities but 40-50% stab up-time is doable given the correct build.

Just learn the pros/cons to GS use and the build will make sense. Axe is a must, and i prefer GS over staff for numerous reasons…

1 – your stuck going with “Soul Marks” which limits your diversity in a power build. Speed of shadows is just too good with the correct trait combo.
2 – staff is a slow defensive weapon with only 1 true DMG skill (#4, which is usually used as a clear).
3 – there is no synergy with staff/pwr builds. Most ranged class PWR builds have better DMG and the ability to reset/re-position with ease (Mesmer, Druid, DH).
4 – GS has large shroud generating potential (GS#3 is huge gains = 4x mark traited)
5 – GS 4/RS 4 combo field (leeching bolts) allows for secondary healing mechanics without having to spec blood/wells.
5 – GD will bait out dodges or defensive skills allowing for other skills to hit

i would love to work with Dev’s who would like to truly see Power Necro in competitive play… the potential is there 100%. Just need the proper player base.

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

That’s interesting, I might give it a try tonight. Necro is not my main but I didn’t thought about those traits/rune/sigil combinaison.

I always go for the bloodmagic trait line for a power necro, it might be because of a lingering memory from gw1….

It’s a really nice initiative. More devs should do the same.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

This build has a stun breaker. I have played it last two days in solo queue. It was fun. I just switched to augury of death and sigil of strength for sigil of air. It has so much more sustain as all those condi meta builds because of insane life force generation.

You are correct, thank you for pointing out that i do not know necro very but honestly.

On my ranger alone i was using staff and longbow with 2 glyphs (which had knock back or stuns) the pet taunt (beastly warden) and the root trait (ancient seeds).

When necro is the first target everyone chooses im still wondering. Maybe if more of you try it but ive played mostly warrior, ranger and ele threw all the seasons and on warrior im running stuns/dazes for days.

But i give it up if the dev says it works and you say it works, so be it. I guess alot of us need to run more 1 stability reaper skills with 1 stun break.

in PvP

Posted by: JordanJD.3209

JordanJD.3209

Hey CMC, why don’t you guys do something about GS if you already acknowledge that it is behind staff and main hand/wh for power builds? What’s the problem?

I don’t think staff is strictly better on power builds, but I valued the condi transfer, unblockable fear, and ranged life force generation pretty highly. I really wanted to run 5 shouts to maximize value with reaper rune and vuln on chill trait, so staff filled a lot of holes. I haven’t played much with GS but I imagine the build would be significantly different. Might try some stuff out this weekend for fun.

Come join [CM].

in PvP

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

all I read into this is even Anet Devs exclude the worst weapon that came out from HoT: Reaper Greatsword… remove,rework and READ what we said.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

“BETA” designation means, we’ll pretend to take input on the map and then change nothing to test. The camera is terrible and if you get downed where the glass was (certain spots) you bounce up and down and your downed state ability gets interrupted. Yeah, but please add this “BETA” map into the rotation without any further testing AFTER implementing changes.

in PvP

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

Funny, I ran almost the same build in season 2 or 3 (I really forgot which one, but it was before the Rise! nerf). The only diffence was Augury of Death, Sigil of Strength and Rune of the Trooper. I played until I reached Diamond (stopped there because of “real life”) with a 70% Win Rate.

This build was totally viable. The Lifeforce generation is insane. It is pretty much guaranteed that you can enter a fully recharged Shroud every 10 seconds. Everything you do builds up Lifeforce. Spite+Chilling Victory and Blighter’s Boon let you significantly heal up in shroud.

Now I would run it with Paladin Amulet, since the Rise! nerf hit hard.

in PvP

Posted by: Rolisteel.1375

Rolisteel.1375

Too bad you can only use BB shroud heal against bad players or weak teams that not hard focusing you and your team have lot better pressure so you can free cast autos, so you cant rely on this trait as its easy to make it total waste if the enemy counter focus you or interrupt/cc you for days like they should.

DC is best trait but well its for condi necro.

(edited by Rolisteel.1375)

in PvP

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

Too bad you can only use BB shroud heal against bad players or weak teams that not hard focusing you and your team have lot better pressure so you can free cast autos, so you cant rely on this trait as its easy to make it total waste if the enemy counter focus you or interrupt/cc you for days like they should.

DC is best trait but well its for condi necro.

If the enemy team… if the enemy team plays perfectly they win the WC. In 99% of ranked play your described situation just won’t happen. In addition this build has far more sustain than the meta build, which is nevertheless used in Pro League where your “hard focusings” occur. How does this make sense?

You don’t need any hardfocus to shut down the mandatory Meta Power Rev. in Solo Q. 2 condi classes are enough to completely take him out of the game when passing by. Would you say the Meta Rev is complete garbage because of that?

Btw.: Did you notice that this build farts AOE-(!)-Chills and Chills generate Might and Might generates Lifeforce and Heals? If you hit sth. in shroud you are healed and you have plenty of time to hit sth. if you run this build on Paladin Amulet. Marauder is a bit too squishy for my taste now where Rise! is nerfed to 33%.

(edited by KrHome.1920)

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Don’t hate on power necro, I’ve run power reaper in every season so far :/

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Have zero experience on Necro, no wvw time, no pve time, 18 matches of pvp and I dont even remember those XD

I played the Dev’s suggest GS power build but with Knights instead of Paladins. Had an unranked game, ended up vs 3 DH’s, a Thief, and an ele (vs our ele, war, thief, 2x nec). Went quite well. Won 500 – 400. Was the focus of the enemy team quite a bit, had a death, a few downs with resses or rallies. Coming from Mes main, warrior alt, necro’s very different. Never the less, the build held up despite my complete lack of experience XD

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Mikhael.2391

Mikhael.2391

all I read into this is even Anet Devs exclude the worst weapon that came out from HoT: Reaper Greatsword… remove,rework and READ what we said.

Ravezaar where you a slayer in warhammer online?

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

Anyone here has an actual link to a video of a necro in lets say, diamond or legend match?

in PvP

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

i used a similar build with few adjustment

amulet demloisher
rune of ice
on gs i use sigil of ice

so i lose bit power but i get 7% more direct dmg to chilled foe and 50% chill duration so AA is 3 sec and and sigil of ice proc enable me to prolong the chill even further
so regarding dmg it much higher compare to more toughness (knight) or hp (paladin)

is still very hard in soloq unless you team know necro gonna be focus and help him
is not 1v1 build at all , warrior , thief destroy you with their cc and sustain/evade

the GS must be more faster and also the skills cd bit lower. all classes who got GS has 1.5 sec aa chain while necro got 2.5 AA chain. while warrior , guard, ranger has more sustain then necro and mesmer got good escape ability . and all other classes (beside mesmer and guard) the cd are much shorter with the GS 6/8,10/12,15,20/25
so i give the necro 1.5AA chain, 6,10,20,25 (and than maybe the soul eater trait could be viable and maybe all GS skills should steal some health)
GRAVEDIGGER animation should not be 1.25 sec rather 0.5 sec

just know that with this build the reaper is your escape and sustain. save it for condi bomb or burst as it can buy you couple of second

(edited by messiah.1908)

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Anyone here has an actual link to a video of a necro in lets say, diamond or legend match?

There are only the usual “wvw montage styles”, not much in depth u can make.
If youre an experienced player your eyes will hurt cz of how bad enemies are in the vids.
If youre a new player and just wanted some power necro footage, ill give you a tldr:

Big numbers which arent even big dps wise, very unreliable and absolutely has a dozen counters enemy could do.
Its equivalent to zerker pistol pistol thief…you can make a montage, but……no comment…

If you still want a taste sample, youtube Hollts.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

If youre an experienced player your eyes will hurt cz of how bad enemies are in the vids.
If youre a new player and just wanted some power necro footage, ill give you a tldr:

Big numbers which arent even big dps wise, very unreliable and absolutely has a dozen counters enemy could do.
Its equivalent to zerker pistol pistol thief…you can make a montage, but……no comment…

Ive seen holltz videos but its not spvp and most of those players he kills specially outnumbered r just bad. its fun to watch but many times i wondered “why did the other guy do that???” was actually trying to see an spvp legend or diamong video or a necro.

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

Hollts videos only show how a good necro kills bad players of other classes. His enemies lose health too fast and die fast while they don’t have almost any hard attack pressure that makes necro life hard. Their skill level is far from what im facing in current ranked as a necro. Everything is full of blocks, shields, evades, invus, 100% mitigations + dodges + condi remove + healing and high mobility kiting/ fight reset etc.

in PvP

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

the GS must be more faster and also the skills cd bit lower. all classes who got GS has 1.5 sec aa chain while necro got 2.5 AA chain.

You shouldnt take the casttimes in the tooltip seriously they dont include things like aftercasts. So they are actually not useful to get the chain duration. Guard GS aa chain is actually 2.5 sec, warriors is 2.4 sec and reapers is 2.88 sec.

in PvP

Flumek.9043

Ive seen holltz videos but its not spvp and most of those players he kills specially outnumbered r just bad. its fun to watch but many times i wondered “why did the other guy do that???” was actually trying to see an spvp legend or diamong video or a necro.

Ah sorry.
There isnt anything in between him and noscoc playing 1 game of gs when he loses a bet, because simply nobody plays power necro there.

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

So necro dont succeed in ranks diamond and above at all?

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

Not really especially if you play solo. Even if you are skilled with necro its up to what kind of team you get. If you get good pugs you can do some good things if you get bad pugs you will be farmed by enemy for 10 mins and you can’t even do as much as other classes you will just die in seconds if your team don’t have teamplay or teammates don’t care about you. So you can’t do good in a team that don’t know what is teamplay as you require teamplay and/or resbot healers and players that have good damage pressure so the enemy are not able all 3-4-5 of them to jump on you to instant kill you.

If you listen to me and you play solo and getting a lot bad players/ don’t care about anyone players you better play any other class that can avoid damage using their high mobility can run away/reset fights and have block shield evade invu 100% mitigation etc. You save yourself from a lot of frustration etc.

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

I see. so devs just ignore the fact that necros are horrible in high compettion gotcha!

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

They are okay only if you have skilled organizated team. Even then its probably not much fun as you still die fast and way too much compared to any other classes. While you are also one that probably doing the lowest overall damage / match. Doing more power damage on match as a condi necro etc.

in PvP

Flumek.9043

I see. so devs just ignore the fact that necros are horrible in high compettion gotcha!

Its more soloq oriented problems
- its harder to 2v1 kill or run away alive from 2v1 wihtout invuln or mobility, even enemie is bad enough to deserve getting 1v2d.
- so either teamfight and hope the enemie is stupid and doesnt focus you + your team is smart and support you
- or you as best player, get to 1v1 their best player + hopefully you win your 1v1 before your bad team loses their teamfight, cz look at first point

Bonus point making poeple even more annoyed.
- necro is only class who follows “slooow design and casts”.
Having your big skills depend on enemy stupidity of not dodging is simply unfun, it makes predictable and uncreative “combos” (a lot arent even true combos).

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

Yeah ive bee trying out necro in spvp and its pretty much this: i get pugs on pugs i do ok if they are near brain dead if they still have some juice on their brain and they are a warrior , mesmer, thief and dh ouch… the other classes i survive a litle better but bo life force at the beggining also hurts, its not like it would be op to have full life at start i think.

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

It wont be. Make you survive like 1-2 more sec if you are focus target in soloQ without any support. So its almost doesnt matter you have or don’t have LF if your team don’t help you. You just die 1-2 sec later. Your class can’t avoid full damage other than 2 dodge and LOS. While other classes can do the same and more. They are better avoiding damage because they are faster ( can run out of your damage range when in danger ) + having 100% damage avoiding skills/shields.

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

And after 4 years our class is “fairing quite we” lol

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

Thats probably because they don’t care about solo players. We have a job in organizated team. Who cares if our class don’t work with non teamplayer kind of players/ bad players/pugs.

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

Well i dont like being forced into a team in a game that is suposed to be diferent from other mmos who have specific classes/roles to play. IF i wanted that i would play another game and be either a dps or a tank

in PvP

Ravezaar.4951

Yes thats me

Servant of Dhuum

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

Yes thats me

Oh the memories of duelling u and specifically targeting u on my dps DOK what server u on nowadays?

in PvP

Ravezaar.4951

yea I recall your DoK for sure, some good duels. Iam on Piken in the Destro Guild Hand of Blood of all places

Servant of Dhuum

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

yea I recall your DoK for sure, some good duels. Iam on Piken in the Destro Guild Hand of Blood of all places

Ah cool didnt know hob was still alive. ill add u for some duels later

in PvP

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

Still, i’d like to see some actual devs only play power necromancer. And they must play soloq

PRO TIP: Devs only allow necromancers to be viable when you have somebody hold your hand. Basically: Necro soloq is the hardest soloq

One more thing about actual design of the necromancer.

AOE damage isn’t the necromancers top tier aspect since Dragon Hunters, Engineers and Warriors have the best AOE damage.

Straight up Condition damage isn’t the necromancers strong point since engineers, mesmers, and warriors beat them at that.

They suck at mobility, they have second to the worst stability, no invulns or evades or blocks or invisibility… there actually isn’t any real reason other than boon corrupt that the necromancers are “viable”.

I’m sure we can bring up how several pro gamers have pretty much declared necros as kamakaze boon corrupt bots requiring no real mechanical skill other than to go in, corrupt boons, and then die.

Why not give necromancers something other than this mechanic if its SO strong it utterly guts the necromancer in every other aspect of their design?

So yeah; if they can spare the time away from playing guardian – Show us them mad soloq powremancer skills on anet twitch channel. Show us all how these powermancers are meant to be used.

(edited by TheDevice.2751)

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

Still, i’d like to see some actual devs only play power necromancer. And they must play soloq

PRO TIP: Devs only allow necromancers to be viable when you have somebody hold your hand. Basically: Necro soloq is the hardest soloq

AOE damage isn’t the necromancers top tier aspect since Dragon Hunters, Engineers and Warriors have the best AOE damage.

Straight up Condition damage isn’t the necromancers strong point since engineers, mesmers, and warriors beat them at that.

They suck at mobility, they have second to the worst stability, no invulns or evades or blocks or invisibility… there actually isn’t any real reason other than boon corrupt that the necromancers are “viable”.

I’m sure we can bring up how several pro gamers have pretty much declared necros as kamakaze boon corrupt bots requiring no real mechanical skill other than to go in, corrupt boons, and then die.

Why not give necromancers something other than this mechanic if its SO strong it utterly guts the necromancer in every other aspect of their design?

So yeah; if they can spare the time away from playing guardian – Show us them mad soloq powremancer skills on anet twitch channel. Show us all how these powermancers are meant to be used.

Never gonna happen. THey know better.

in PvP

Posted by: Patrick.2987

Patrick.2987

Warriors have the best AOE damage.

Guess that is why ppl use necro over warr for cleave.

in PvP

Posted by: sexuallegend.2153

sexuallegend.2153

I’m laughing about all this necro talk. All of you sound very bad. “I played over 100 games aka made it to Legendary. Therefore I am a legend.” False kids. I only play shirtless and I am unkillable 1v1. Part of the reason pvp community is so bad is that they cling to flashy titles and icons as some sort of symbol of skill. Yet less than 1% of then actually put their money where their mouth is an wager duel.

Doubt any of you would make 5 consecutive duels without losing, let alone over 500.

Shadow, the Legend Myth
(Shadow the Jedi, An Arrogant Samurai, The Legend Myth, One Of The Avengers)
Best Player Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpC1yIGFB0

in PvP

Mikhael.2391

I’m laughing about all this necro talk. All of you sound very bad. “I played over 100 games aka made it to Legendary. Therefore I am a legend.” False kids. I only play shirtless and I am unkillable 1v1. Part of the reason pvp community is so bad is that they cling to flashy titles and icons as some sort of symbol of skill. Yet less than 1% of then actually put their money where their mouth is an wager duel.

Doubt any of you would make 5 consecutive duels without losing, let alone over 500.

I so wanna try you for the fun of it :p

in PvP

Posted by: Jayce.5632

Jayce.5632

In Bold^ – I’ve heard this mentioned in a conversation before. I mean, the details were a bit sketchy, but I was able the hear the following before an Anet representative closed the door where they were to air their grievances.

Grenth: “What’s wrong my child? You’ve made it to the higher tier. Why do you stop now?”
Necro: (Looks to the left at Focus Fire, then to the right at Disengaging, before looking straight at Grenth) and says…

i7-6700K – M.2 PCIe 512GB R/W:2500/1500MB/s
GTX 980M – SSD 512GB R/W:550/520MB/s
17.3" 1080p – 32GB 2400MHz DDR4