Devs what is the balance process ?

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Q:

Hi !

This question has been in my mind for a while now and once I start thinking about it, I can’t find an answer. Could one of the Dev explain how the balance process works ?

On what tools do you base your judgment for balance ? As a player I make my own judgment on how a class should be because I play with/against it on an everyday basis. But if I had to balance a whole game I don’t know where I should start.

Do you base your judgment on an analysis of data’s from the game ? Do you have somekind of big data tool that shows you that 70% of the damages on ranger comes from Bristleback ? Do you have testers ? Do you base yourself on the ESL pro league ?

I’m also interested in the approch you have when doing a balance patch and how you distribute the teams around game mode / classes / stuff.

Lastly, if we could have an idea of how much the forum / reddit is involved in the process, that would be great. I know you read the forum, but how much does it impact the process?

We don’t have those kind of info on guild chat so maybe you could tell us about it here. I feel like some changes, which made people awkards, make sense if it’s looked from the appropriate point of view.

If some people have some ideas of how the process is done, feel free to share. It’s really easy to say “they have a generator of random patch” but once you really think about it, what kind of data can they use ? So please do some constructive answer

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

i have no answer but i am curious to hear what a dev has to say about all of your points too.

grabs puffcorn (better than popcorn)

in PvP

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

probably something like this:

every 3 months they form a temporary balance team consisting of a few people (a few as in like 3), and then they spend a week considering balance and making whatever changes they see fit that don’t require massive overhauls