Discussion to Remove Hotjoin from the Game

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

I can’t believe people are defending 8v8.

I don’t agree with removing hotjoin, I play it when I’m tweaking my build and such, and if I’m waiting for friends to run dungeons or something (I don’t do PvE no mo’).

But make it 5v5. 8v8 is way too hectic to even tell what’s going on a lot of the time, you can’t get any kind of strategy off the ground aside from zerging people, and that’s not even how the tPvP format is.

TL;DR: Keep hotjoin, make it 5v5, also get rid of Skyhammer.

but i like 8 vs 8 and i like the chaos.

i play to indulge in the chaos.

why are you trying to take away my fun?

Exactly. There are already 5v5 Rooms. If you don’t want to participate, then don’t. Stop trying to limit people’s fun.

in PvP

Posted by: Intellidonkey.5410

Intellidonkey.5410

I don’t agree with removing hotjoin, I play it when I’m tweaking my build and such, and if I’m waiting for friends to run dungeons or something (I don’t do PvE no mo’).

But make it 5v5. 8v8 is way too hectic to even tell what’s going on a lot of the time, you can’t get any kind of strategy off the ground aside from zerging people, and that’s not even how the tPvP format is.

I’m not! 5v5 is way more fun, in my opinion. It’s more strategic and methodical.

WvWvW has chaos.

Engineers – Dagny (In The Lab) Kristopherson, Rektor Skillshot
Ten Percent [Rekt] – GET REKT
This is the only profession I play.

in PvP

Posted by: Flamfloz.6732

Flamfloz.6732

The point is not if you enjoy it or not.

yes, it matters. i play a game to enjoy.

I don’t mind HotJoin (actually plays it), however yes I have a problem when people are getting in the way of “my enjoyment” of SoloQ by being terrible players.

This is where I see the point made by some posters that “HotJoin” teaches you some bad habits.

But that’s the nature of the beast I suppose…

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I’m not! 5v5 is way more fun, in my opinion. It’s more strategic and methodical.

WvWvW has chaos.

but you said you wanna remove 8 vs 8, so yes you are trying to remove my fun!

5 vs 5 is fun in its own way.
8 vs 8 is fun in a slightly zerg-ish way.
WvWvW is another kind of fun though.

keep the game modes.
increase the rewards if you want better players.

I don’t mind HotJoin (actually plays it), however yes I have a problem when people are getting in the way of “my enjoyment” of SoloQ by being terrible players.

This is where I see the point made by some posters that “HotJoin” teaches you some bad habits.

hmmm i think people should stop blaming hot join for their misadventures in solo arena.

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Maybe removing game modes from pvp isn’t a good idea :/

What we do need is an introduction to PVP that’s like the introduction to PVE

With Orange arrows pointing to the PVP button/server list
A lock on Soloque before you play 20 games in hotjoin with any new account,
you could even turn this into an achievement.

That way it actually feels like a ladder you’re climbing
“Oh cool I’ve unlocked a new game mode”

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

You go to solo que. Why is everyone afraid of solo que? The rating system puts you in matches with people who are of similar skill as you.

just who the kitten are you to tell me how should i play spvp?
you like solo queue, you go solo queue, the rest of us are happy with hot joins.

Sure most of the early days of solo que will be a bunch of messups, but it’s an environment where you can actually LEARN to play your class – instead of just learning simple combos and peeling tactics.

most people just wanna have some fast simple spvp fun in hot joins, not serious arena play.

If there were no hotjoin, more people will play solo = less time waiting between games.

you need accept this fact. people love hot join more than arena. casual > serious

hot join = casual, simple
arena = non casual, serious not simple

Life support!? Are you kidding!? It’s trash! It’s a terrible representation of what pvp in this game is. Promoting zerg wars? Are you kidding? So many beginners are put off by spvp because of their introduction to the game via hotjoin. Most don’t even know what the hell is going on in a match because there are too many people doing too many things.

it is fun, it is casual, it is what most people enjoy.
just because you do not find it fun, does not mean it is bad for everyone else.

Today I talked to a guy who said that he regretted purchasing guild wars because the pvp is so awful. He was playing hotjoin for the first time. Yes hotjoin is awful.

I talked to another guy (new) in the mists today, who experienced solo que for the first time. Said it was great because he felt the fights were like a chess game.

2 people do not speak for the whole community.

Hit the nail on the head.
However, while I don’t want to see 8v8s removed, I would like to for Anet to make finding a 5v5 more intuitive and easy, especially for new players.

Starting up PvP for the first time, trekking through the tutorial area, pressing Play Now and getting thrown into an 8v8 zerg match can be overwhelming.

“Play 5v5 Now” AND “Play 8v8 Now” buttons would be a nice option. Even if the list of filters defaultly had 5v5 servers. There are still people that don’t even know you can 5v5 outside of solo q / team q.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

“Play 5v5 Now” AND “Play 8v8 Now” buttons would be a nice option. Even if the list of filters defaultly had 5v5 servers. There are still people that don’t even know you can 5v5 outside of solo q / team q.

+1

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: noobftw.9654

noobftw.9654

Lol, again the self righteousness of a soloQ’er.
First of all, wth are you worrying about carrying hj nub? If a hj nub happens to join up soloQ 5 out of 10 times hes gonna be you opponent and work in you favor to help u get higher in the leader board(thats why most u play soloQ not? ) Only the other 4 out of 10 times u will have to carry him. Ofc it would be statistically unfavor for you if u yourself is a nub.
Secondly, please stop all the nonsense of hj is the wrong way to play conquest. As a matter of fact, arena is the wrong way to play this game since there is nothing to ‘arena’ about. Just stop pretending this game is competitive and you will suddenly have the best casual pvp game ever.
Lastly, I started this game since beta and still stayed and enjoyed this game till this moment. And now you are telling me I should just ‘pro’ the game up, and then quit it like jumper, xphe did? Thx but no thx. You are the ppl who is playing this game wrong, not me.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

hmmm i support this.

please have 2 buttons.

some times the game browser does not work for me and i need to use the play now button. i’m happy if it throws me into a 8 vs 8 game.

8 vs 8 reminds me of team fortress 2.
i like team fortress 2.

8 vs 8 is like guild wars 2 team fortress 2 edition for me. its fun! well, for me. and many others.

in PvP

Flamfloz.6732

First of all, wth are you worrying about carrying hj nub? If a hj nub happens to join up soloQ 5 out of 10 times hes gonna be you opponent and work in you favor to help u get higher in the leader board(thats why most u play soloQ not? ) Only the other 4 out of 10 times u will have to carry him. Ofc it would be statistically unfavor for you if u yourself is a nub.
Secondly, please stop all the nonsense of hj is the wrong way to play conquest. As a matter of fact, arena is the wrong way to play this game since there is nothing to ‘arena’ about. Just stop pretending this game is competitive and you will suddenly have the best casual pvp game ever.
Lastly, I started this game since beta and still stayed and enjoyed this game till this moment. And now you are telling me I should just ‘pro’ the game up, and then quit it like jumper, xphe did? Thx but no thx. You are the ppl who is playing this game wrong, not me.

And you are? Since you seem to have quite a strong opinion about me and know me “so well”, I’d assume we’ve met in game…

An 8v8 spamfest on the middle point is – believe it or not – the wrong way to play conquest if you are trying to win.

I didn’t tell you to “pro” the game up, merely that “your enjoyment”, as important as it may be to me (and you can rest assured that your enjoyment of GW2 is my primary concern whenever I connect to the game!) can sometimes get in the way of the enjoyment of the game of other people who – because they chose to enjoy the game in a different manner than yours – would be affected by your possible “lack of competitiveness” in game. And I am specifically talking about people in soloQ here.

After all, someone might enjoy sitting during the PvP game (it is the way they enjoy the game), yet someone has to give in if their “enjoyment” gets in the way of the enjoyment of other people.
So no, I don’t think the good solution is necessarily for everyone to lower their standard of “enjoyment of the game” to the lowest common denominator (which would be the person who sits through the entire game of SoloQ).

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

An 8v8 spamfest on the middle point is – believe it or not – the wrong way to play conquest if you are trying to win.

people who play in 8 vs 8 hotjoin do not necessarily play to win, they play, because they want to play 8 vs 8.

please accept that.

in PvP

noobftw.9654

And you are? Since you seem to have quite a strong opinion about me and know me “so well”, I’d assume we’ve met in game…

I didn’t tell you to “pro” the game up, merely that “your enjoyment”, as important as it may be to me (and you can rest assured that your enjoyment of GW2 is my primary concern whenever I connect to the game!) can sometimes get in the way of the enjoyment of the game of other people who – because they chose to enjoy the game in a different manner than yours – would be affected by your possible “lack of competitiveness” in game. And I am specifically talking about people in soloQ here.

After all, someone might enjoy sitting during the PvP game (it is the way they enjoy the game), yet someone has to give in if their “enjoyment” gets in the way of the enjoyment of other people.
So no, I don’t think the good solution is necessarily for everyone to lower their standard of “enjoyment of the game” to the lowest common denominator (which would be the person who sits through the entire game of SoloQ).

Lol stop all the ppl getting in your way trash talk like u gonna steam roll man of steal without the dead weights. It’s just a game and no one is gonna stop u having fun but if u goal of gaming is to be top of the leader board there’s gonna be 17000 soloQer stopping u. And you can candi spam, aoe spam, ai spam, evade spam ur way up there but in the end I bet u will quit just like jumper helseth xepth and etc.
I don’t play 8v8 myself and absolutely hate running into the train when I’m not on my thief. But if others like it whatha kidden am I to stop em.

in PvP

noobftw.9654

The only tangible way of stopping running into nub in you precious soloQ is to close up the queue for now and only allow whoever is on the leader board to play. Happy?
Apart from all the other problem the soloQ has, the community is also confusing as hell. Peeps whining about not enough player do solo and in the meantime wants to kick the newbs out. Just what will make u guys happy already?

in PvP

Posted by: miriforst.1290

miriforst.1290

Aside from the team sizes, in what magical way does solo queue teach players everything that hotjoin apparently by laws of physics can’t?

Its a bit like the revolutionary thinks, “it’s a problem with the state!” becomes “its a problem with the people…”. And it’s really hard to change the people. And what authority grants you that responsibility? If you are to change everyone, wouldn’t it be easier to start with you just too see how it aligns then?

If hotjoin disappears, where will the players go? Soloqueue you say? But then how do they magically become exemplary citizens? Wherever you go you take yourself with you, and the only result is that soloqueue becomes the new hotjoin with exactly the same bad habits as before because they got the same people as before. so you kitten off not only the hotjoiners but the soloqueuers too who where expecting a format where the somewhat more competitive (but without a team) can practice but which now play like the old hotjoin. I think the game needs somewhere for the bad ones as well as the good ones and everyone in between. It ends up pleasing both.

If you where making the argument to limit teamsize to 5vs5 i would sort of see why (but it would still be a bad idea as it is also bashing people over their head telling them to be serious about their super competitive esport (as competitive as dice)).

Im sorry i don’t take games with rng crits serious from a esport perspective. :S

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

People who play 8v8 can also be looking to play TDM.
You must also remember that hot join contains 5v5 servers as well. While every now and then there is a zerg match, 5v5 servers are a lot less TDM and more conquest then 8v8 servers are.

To get rid of Hot join you would ruin the pvp experience of many players. You would also be spawning many more 4v5 matches as some people want to play a “Casual Game”. Also, in solo Q you cannot change team. There have been many matches where our team was winning due to 5v4 and I team changed to boost up the enemy teams points. Why? fairness, fun, to show our team who think they are good that the only reason they are winning is due to unbalanced teams.

In halo / cod, an unbalanced team will favour the team with less players. In GW2 an unbalanced team favours the team with more. Upon entering hotjoin I know I’m likely to get a match that is not 5v5. Upon entering SoloQ I expect to get a 5v5.

In Hot join I can run whatever build I like, wether it be good, bad or no traits at all. In solo Q I must run the FOTM build for my class or else be called a noob by everyone there (even if my build is better then the FOTM build). I must play the game a certain way, I can’t play my way. Me and my friend came from Aion, from one of the larger oceanic pvp guilds. He will not even go into team Q anymore due to having to play a certain way with a certain build. It gets boring.

In hot join we can both run around with flame axe ele builds and fend of 3-5 enemies continually.

I can run tank ele and he can run support ele and we can fend of 8 enemies for a whole match.

We can play our way and we can have fun doing it.

The only reward I take from GW2 pvp is fun. Everyone else and their complaining, sure it would be nice to take some gold home to buy whatever it is you people buy, but in the end if I have fun then I’m satisfied. I don’t need a new skin (I have phoenix from shop, find me something that looks better. btw female human, preview that on your female human). I don’t need a new finisher, good old flag pole is fine.

I think you will change your mind if they funnel the hot join players into solo q. Though I suppose if your up the ladder it wouldn’t affect you that much, you and your high rank buddies could just go ahead and smash lowbies all day long with the current match making system in place. Meanwhile in low rank town you will have leavers left right and center and will diminish the overall pvp population further.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Flamfloz.6732

people who play in 8 vs 8 hotjoin do not necessarily play to win, they play, because they want to play 8 vs 8.

please accept that.

Oh but I accept people playing HJ don’t play to win – I never said I didn’t.
And I don’t think anyone here is contesting the right of people to play “HotJoin” the way they want – given the fact that HotJoin is here for pure fun and played without any spirit of competition. That’s fine (and I’m against removing HotJoin, since I play the mode often).

The problem, as outlined before by others, is when people bring bad habits they’ve learnt in HJ in SoloQ – where people are expected to be globally more competitive.

(edited by Flamfloz.6732)

in PvP

Posted by: MatthiasL.5346

MatthiasL.5346

Just remove 8vs.8, establish only 5vs.5 in hotjoin.
Remove rank from hotjoin, so ppl can’t farm anymore.

in PvP

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

I like to play Hotjoin for some quick and easy PvP. I like 8×8 fun mess. I like unpredictability and different, chaotic teams. I like rewards from here, not very meaningful and not so fast as tPvP ones, but hey, they are still here.
If you don’t like it – ask for different queue for 5×5 with ratings and…
Oh wait, it’s already here and called solo Q. And tPvP is here as well.
So you want to FORCE OTHERS to play those modes? Plz, hands off from my fun mode. Don’t tell me how i must play and i don’t tell you where you must go.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

(edited by Rednik.3809)

in PvP

Posted by: Fella Feller.4936

Fella Feller.4936

I’d like to see it gone personally (or just custom arenas and maybe some kind of ‘practice’ mode)

Can you imagine how LoL would have grown if the norm for new players was drop in drop out 8v8 on summoners?

The Tally family of Desolation-
Victor(Ranger), Astral(Ele), Martial(Warrior), Erroneous(Mes), Ticker(Engi), Ravin(Thief)
with special guests Hematophagia(Necro) and Grace Burns(Guardian)

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Hotjoin serves similar purposes as random arena in gw1. Many people use it to test builds before taking them through to tpvp or soloQ. There is no better way to check builds suitability to pvp play then throwing them in a spvp match first and seeing how they handle.

I think a-net should leave a perma sticky thread about why they’ve kept 8 vs 8. It allows people to join and leave at will without affecting final scores too much. If everything was 5 vs 5 and someone wants to leave, then you just get another 4 vs 5 which unbalances the match too much.

in PvP

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

please don’t. ATM hotjoin is the best of pvp. Easy daily and no queue.

If Hotjoin is removed and everybody moves to SoloQ, queues will disappear.

in PvP

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

If Hotjoin is removed and everybody moves to SoloQ, queues will disappear.

If now ppl just don’t want to go soloQ, why you want to force them?

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters