Distinct lack of competent engineers

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Why are good engineers so hard to find? I’ve always struggled to find decent engineers to queue with as a team as well as play in tournaments with.

People seem to complain a lot about engineers, with a fair share of forum posts calling them OP, yet if they’re so OP then why aren’t more of them around?

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

Why are good engineers so hard to find? I’ve always struggled to find decent engineers to queue with as a team as well as play in tournaments with.

People seem to complain a lot about engineers, with a fair share of forum posts calling them OP, yet if they’re so OP then why aren’t more of them around?

Because even bad engineers are being carried by slick shoes and passive procs..
It’s the same as Shoutbow; 99% of the shoutbows are bad but look good, while it’s their build carrying them. You can take out bad shoutbows if u look at the use of Banners.
I think you can do the same with Engineers; picking out useage of some skills to see if they’re good and if they poison the downed + healing turret allies

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Padapwn.5924

Padapwn.5924

+1 to terrorsquad…

This game has builds that “carry” or “forgive”(help hide mistakes) bad players, making them look good against certain players and will get exposed against the better players.

Biggest problem warriors/engineers face is, imo, its so easy to play a shoutbow or engi that people dont care enough to spend the time to master the build/class.

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

Poison is the warrior’s kryptonite. Aoe poisons render the battle standard useless for its intended purpose of reviving. Sure it’s a good strat but still very harsh.

In most cases, you can identify an engineers skill by how well they time and land certain skills

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

There us a huge difference between a skilled engie and a newb one, to be sure. But even a newb engie is a faceroll keyspam for maximum effect.

First time ever playing an engie-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBzZu5KPfQU

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t everyone being carried by their builds?

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: UBcktieDL.5318

UBcktieDL.5318

People say it if a build does most of it’s damage with passive procs or unavoidable attacks. Cele Rifle Engi is a great example of this with incendiary powder, slick shoes, hardly visible magnet pulls, overcharged shot knockback without any cast time.

Some other examples: Panic Strike Thief (unavoidable immobilze, allowing him to land all his attacks easily) ,Power Necro(primary Chill of death with damage modifiers from close to death and death’s embrace

to a lesser extend: Meditation Guard (Ring of Warding with Judges Intervention, some instant cast skills, but they still need to be timed well), Shoutbow War (Shout’s have no casttime and warhorn skills very little cast time, longbow fire fields dealing tons of dmg on a point, but he still needs to land the important skills)

back to topic: i think engineer is simply the hardest class in the game. The major problem is the large number of skills combined with the arkward kit mechanic which is hard to master. New engineers need to learn to rotate their kits while keeping an eye on the enemy and using their toolbelt skills. Also the awful ground targeting on grenade kit.

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

I’m pragmatic so yeah absolutely

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

because every good players are already in a team and the hardcore player base is pretty small.

i would have trouble finding any good player for almost all classes if i want to create a ESL level team now.

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

because every good players are already in a team and the hardcore player base is pretty small.

i would have trouble finding any good player for almost all classes if i want to create a ESL level team now.

My point was that I’ve been looking for engis for about half a year now and there’s so few of them compared to things like warriors and eles. It’s not even about top level engis, just engis that know how to rotate, how to cleave, how to communicate.

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

My point was that I’ve been looking for engis for about half a year now and there’s so few of them compared to things like warriors and eles. It’s not even about top level engis, just engis that know how to rotate, how to cleave, how to communicate.

Because you are not looking for mechanically skilled players (to some extent), but great conquest players. There are many many people who maybe good at 1v1s, 2v2s, and 3v3s, but very few players who understand how conquest works in current cele team fight meta. On top of already few people that understands conquest, now you want people who are mechanically great as well. Those people are already picked up onto ESL teams, moved on from GW2 due to many reasons, or unnoticed because they are doing what they are suppose to do to win games, which is more subtle than people think.

Also there is no reason for people to try hard in pvp because there is nothing to prove. The good and great players already know each other, top teams are already saturated with drama and great players, and there is very little support for low-mid tier players like myself to be better because matchmaking weighs people down. You either get into a pvp guild (idk about any in NA) to train, hopefully find ESL level players to train you, or just queue ranked/unranked over and over until you can’t take it anymore.

Tour

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

or just queue ranked/unranked over and over until you can’t take it anymore.

+1

in PvP

Posted by: Furious.2867

Furious.2867

You missed me when I ran my turret engie up until last month. OMG I was so OP awesome your mom would have wanted me in her team. I was so good and skilled and talented that I held a point uncontested while polishing my nails.

Turret Engie, 13 Nades Engie, MM Necro Hambow, P/P Thief, PU Mesmer
Condi & DPS Ranger, Spirit Guard

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

Because you are not looking for mechanically skilled players (to some extent), but great conquest players. There are many many people who maybe good at 1v1s, 2v2s, and 3v3s, but very few players who understand how conquest works in current cele team fight meta. On top of already few people that understands conquest, now you want people who are mechanically great as well. Those people are already picked up onto ESL teams, moved on from GW2 due to many reasons, or unnoticed because they are doing what they are suppose to do to win games, which is more subtle than people think.

Again, I must emphasis the fact that other classes have been much easier to find.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Shoooowwww meeeee competent ranger and necrooooo!!!!!

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Again, I must emphasis the fact that other classes have been much easier to find.

Not sure where you are looking. Good engis are one of the easiest to find. Maybe you play in some low population timezone. If you play in NA primetime, I really don’t know what to say you.

The class with the lowest “good” players in thief. There are tons that are decent at fighting, but most have zero clue about the role of a thief on the team.

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

I forgot to mention that I’m EU.

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

The class with the lowest “good” players in thief. There are tons that are decent at fighting, but most have zero clue about the role of a thief on the team.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. There’s 1 good thief out of 129 yet so many “attempt” to play it.

Engineers could be an NA thing. I’m by the bank and count 6 champion genius titles on my map.

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Cele Engineer has only pretty-low skill-floor and skill-cap. After you learn your skills, you can just kind of swap kits and randomly spam abilities, which will win you a large portion of your fights in the low to mid-tier of competition. This is because the class is SO forgiving, with a long-lasting block, #1 heal in-game BY FAR, very high damage (a decent amount from passive procs too!), and more cc than you can shake a stick at. For higher-tier play, it takes a little more knowledge, but isn’t that hard rotationally (take 1v1’s for the team when someone has to, set up spikes with cc, and otherwise just spam aoes on-point).

If you are having trouble finding a good engie, just find someone with good conquest smarts and have them learn engie. It only really takes 1-2 weeks to get up to speed.

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. There’s 1 good thief out of 129 yet so many “attempt” to play it.

Thief and mesmer make me wince in physical pain every time I see one on my team. Very rarely does anything good ever come from one of those. And often you wind up with 3 of them. Even Phantaram is horrifically terrible with thief, not that he really plays it enough to have ever gotten good at it.

in PvP

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Shoooowwww meeeee competent ranger and necrooooo!!!!!

Only masochists play those xD

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140