Disussion about the "Year of the Ascension"

in PvP

Posted by: Snoizer.8635

Snoizer.8635

So I im currently working on completing Part 1 and I am almost there, but then it hit me. Why am I doing this? Except for the fun of it maybe.

The four rewards from the four different parts are all combined in to the legendary wings, I get it, its a cool idea. But it also makes it COMPLETLY useless for people like me, who will never be able to complete Part 4, to even do Part 1,2 and 3.

Hear me out.

I am not saying “OMG, give me my wings”. I totaly agree with the fact that those should only be rewarded to those who truly deserver it. But as it works now, completing Part 3 is exactly the same as completing no Parts at all. The items are useless unless combined.

Imo, it would have been much better if every Part got its own reward (a skin for example), better looking for each Part cleared. And then when completing the 4th Part, you also got the wings.

By doing this, you make it so those who want the wings (or whatever reward you decide to give for Part 4) has to complete all four parts, and those who doesnt have the skill/time can complete 1,2 or maybe 3 parts and still get something.

It shouldnt be that you struggle, completing 3 steps and get absolutely nothing except some lousy achievment points.

Thought, am I the only one who thought about this?

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I think they did that with gating each wing behind a purchase of tickets.

I’m currently working on creating the legendary pvp backpack precursor. So close!

Like you said, it’s all for fun

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

Posted by: antichecker.1675

antichecker.1675

If you cannot advance in divisions, just wait for as many seasons to get the back. You also get the exotic pre versions of the back, so it’s not nothing. If the back was made so every noob has it, it wouldn’t be special. I suggest you go for the fractal backpiece.

in PvP

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

Each part does have a skin as a reward, the Wings that you buy with tickets. It’s not the end reward for each part, it’s something you pick up along the way when going for the 11/11 meta completion, but it’s still there. The Wings do get bigger as you go along.

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

They need to provide alternate paths for earning these materials, for players who want the final result just as much as any PvPer, but do not enjoy PvP gameplay nearly as much.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

They should have made it so that you need diamond in all seasons of the year of ascension for ascended backpack and legendary in all the seasons for legendary backpack. It is too easy to get ascended one atm.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

Posted by: jessiestiles.9437

jessiestiles.9437

Don’t get to ruby this season.. If they are going to start people in higher divisions next season you’ll have to stay low and tank your mmr so you don’t have to get to diamond or something stupid to get your wings next season. Or, better yet, just cut your loses and accept anet are liars and will design the system to prevent you getting it either next season or season 4.

Maybe we could all focus on the devs getting a really bad case of constipation.. like for a couple of weeks, you know like a collective consciousness type thing and we can make it happen. Then they can experience the system from our perspective.

(edited by jessiestiles.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

If you cannot advance in divisions, just wait for as many seasons to get the back. You also get the exotic pre versions of the back, so it’s not nothing. If the back was made so every noob has it, it wouldn’t be special. I suggest you go for the fractal backpiece.

I absolutely LOVE the first tier wings. They are so cute, so tiny… I think they are even better than the legendary skin ^^

So yeah, it isnt all for nothing. And you get a few achievement points thrown your way also.

And maybe, at one point at end of this year “of ascencion” you have improved enough to get the part 4 done, wouldnt that be epic? Just sitting there and saying “Ill never make it”, is kinda very pessimistic a view. Rather tell yourself that you’ll get it slowly and look at it as a barometer for how much you have improved.

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

It’s not pessimism it’s a realistic possibility based on how events have played out so far. They said we all will get it. Anyone who can’t get out of amber and emerald this season will not get it. There’s proof they lied. If they plan a system next season to make it harder to advance that’s another group of people who will never get it. They can’t be trusted.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynn.1659

Cynn.1659

I don’t consider myself amazing at pvp, but if you want something really hard and you are willing to work for it. It can be done, just never give up.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

They need to provide alternate paths for earning these materials, for players who want the final result just as much as any PvPer, but do not enjoy PvP gameplay nearly as much.

Get out.

in PvP

Yasi.9065

It’s not pessimism it’s a realistic possibility based on how events have played out so far. They said we all will get it. Anyone who can’t get out of amber and emerald this season will not get it. There’s proof they lied. If they plan a system next season to make it harder to advance that’s another group of people who will never get it. They can’t be trusted.

Anet said everyone can get it, not everyone will get it.

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

You wasted a post on semantics. “Anyone who can’t get out of amber and emerald this season can’t get it.” Happy?

Let’s both delete these posts because they are a waste of cyberspace.

(edited by jessiestiles.9437)

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057:

Get out.

See Anet, the PvPers don’t want us around any more than we want to be around, so stop giving us reasons to be there.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: ZenJii.7490

ZenJii.7490

OPs idea is pretty good.

But why on earth are there people asking to get the wings outside of PvP? Seriously…if you lack the minimum on skill and aren’t ready to learn simple rotations, then move on and build ad infinitum (once it’s here).

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

But why on earth are there people asking to get the wings outside of PvP? Seriously…if you lack the minimum on skill and aren’t ready to learn simple rotations, then move on and build ad infinitum (once it’s here).

Ad Infinitum doesn’t look anything like Ascension. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Asa.3602

Asa.3602

I don’t know about other people, but I’m only pvping to hopefully advance in rank enough to get the wings :x I don’t enjoy pvp at all frankly. Meeting toxic players making me despair at this game, also pvp class balance is terrible right now. Just… no. If there was another way to get ascension I would be all over it, but probably not. Anet wants us to grind a looot of pvp in order to obtain those beautiful wings. sigh I mean I understand, the wing is gorgeous… I would happily pay 4000 gems for it, in fact I kind of want to beg anet to put it up in gem shop.

in PvP

Posted by: Topher.5631

Topher.5631

The point of having something legendary in pvp is to get more people into the pvp scene. The point of having the new legendary weapons (H.O.P.E., Nevermore, and Astralaria) are only obtainable by pve methods. If the wings were to be made accessible through pve, then the pve weapons should be made obtainable by pvp or other means. As much fun as doing Dragon’s Stand 1000 times is, I shouldn’t be forced to pve if you guys aren’t forced to pvp

If you can’t beat it, it is, needless to say, OP
Looking for a team? Start here! https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Jak Shadow.2864

Jak Shadow.2864

The point of having something legendary in pvp is to get more people into the pvp scene.

I wonder how that is working out with the fantastic new system? So well that they thought they should remove the average queue time indicator it seems. Nice work!

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If the wings were to be made accessible through pve, then the pve weapons should be made obtainable by pvp or other means. As much fun as doing Dragon’s Stand 1000 times is, I shouldn’t be forced to pve if you guys aren’t forced to pvp

Technically there’s already a way, just for a tiny minority only. If i remember correctly, first spots in Tournaments used to give legendaries of choice.
But in general, i agree – a PvP method of getting legendaries is a reasonable thing to ask for.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

Yasi.9065

The point of having something legendary in pvp is to get more people into the pvp scene.

I wonder how that is working out with the fantastic new system? So well that they thought they should remove the average queue time indicator it seems. Nice work!

It has pulled tons of players into pvp, now we will see how many of those have the gritt to stay for the long run.

If you hand everything to players, you get a sense of entitlement.

Competitive environments are about rewarding you for improving your gameplay, not about grinding out matches as if they are dungeons that can be finished with only the barest of basic knowledge and skill.
It is not an evironment suited for everybody, which is why anet made it possible to grind out those rewards like dungeons. Gather 4 teammates each evening, get your meta teambuilds up and running and grind your way to ruby.

And probably one in around five players will stay and play spvp even after getting the rewards done. Simply because he got into the spirit of the competitiveness of spvp. Or maybe because he likes the rush of beating a good team and knowing he did good there.

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

If so then it’s a bad point, because it takes far too much effort for that. An item should take EITHER a lot of effort OR a specific source of effort, nor both at once. If they want to get people into the PvP scene, they should do so with short term rewards, so that people can try PvP, claim that reward in short order, and then fairly decide whether they’d like to continue participating.

The point of having the new legendary weapons (H.O.P.E., Nevermore, and Astralaria) are only obtainable by pve methods. If the wings were to be made accessible through pve, then the pve weapons should be made obtainable by pvp or other means.

Yes, why not?

As much fun as doing Dragon’s Stand 1000 times is, I shouldn’t be forced to pve if you guys aren’t forced to pvp

Obviously. What’s the argument here?

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Snoizer.8635

Snoizer.8635

The baby wings, and the slightly bigger ones for each division climb, are bought with the tickets (or whatever they are called) and those you get when moving up a division. These tickets, and therefore the wings themselves, have nothin to do with the achivments. You can get them without completing the 11 steps for each Part.

If you dont complete Part 4, the other parts are useless. Thats just how it is atm. I dont like it, i think they could have made it so part 4 rewarded the wings AND give some less nice rewards for part 1-3.

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

You unlock each achievement list, as you complete the one below. I’m currently working on number 2. I’m not really trying as my matches are a constant merry go round, and have been for about a week. I would have liked to get to ruby this time just so I could tick off the rare back from the list. So next season I just have the elite back to work towards. As long as I get it all done in the year I’ll be happy, if I don’t, well I wont care really.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Posted by: Squishy.3694

Squishy.3694

@Ohoni most of the arguments saying there shouldn’t be other ways other to obtain the Ascension other than PvP, is that there are already a plethora of Legendary Weapons and soon to be Armor and Backpacks for PvE, the obvious ones being raids (and fractals for Ad Infinitum).
The main idea for a PvP exclusive reward is that – an exclusive reward. Until this point, unless you want tomes or useless loot boxes, there was no real reason to PvP other than for ESL or for amusement.
The Ascension gives a lot of PvPers something to work for to show how they have done, just as legendaries and fractal weapons are something PvEers have to show off.

Quaggan finds your post inaccurate, wrong, misinformed, smelly and not as
good as Quaggan. Quaggan for President!

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I agree that PvP wings should be earned through PvP. I do not agree that they should be reserved for a small fraction of PvP’ers. I’m putting in full time work hours in pvp and not moving up.

I deserve the awards as much or more than the players who sailed into diamond with a pre made and a win streak.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

I agree that PvP wings should be earned through PvP. I do not agree that they should be reserved for a small fraction of PvP’ers. I’m putting in full time work hours in pvp and not moving up.

I deserve the awards as much or more than the players who sailed into diamond with a pre made and a win streak.

You have a year to complete it, as long as you can get to sapphire each time you’ll do it easy. I didn’t really play first time around. But this time I’m T3 sapphire. I would have liked to get to ruby, but unless I luck.into a win streak, that’s not going to happen.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

@Ohoni most of the arguments saying there shouldn’t be other ways other to obtain the Ascension other than PvP, is that there are already a plethora of Legendary Weapons and soon to be Armor and Backpacks for PvE, the obvious ones being raids (and fractals for Ad Infinitum).

And if you want access to those items through PvP, then push for access to those items though PvP. It has nothing to do with whether Ascension should be available outside of PvP.

The main idea for a PvP exclusive reward is that – an exclusive reward. Until this point, unless you want tomes or useless loot boxes, there was no real reason to PvP other than for ESL or for amusement.

And there should be no reason to PvP other than enjoying PvP. The quantity of loot you get through PvP should be comparable to other activities, so that an hour spent PvPing does not set you behind someone spending that same time doing equivalent content, but players who don’t enjoy PvP should have no reason to go there.

The Ascension gives a lot of PvPers something to work for to show how they have done, just as legendaries and fractal weapons are something PvEers have to show off.

Currently Legendaries and Fractal weapons require activities that many PvEers want no part of, like running Fractals. PvPers can and should have goals to work towards, they just shouldn’t be goals that can ONLY be earned via PvP.

I agree that PvP wings should be earned through PvP.

I also agree that “PvP wings” should be earned through PvP.

I do not agree that The Ascension or the various Wings of Glory ARE “PvP wings.”

They are just sparkly gold wings that happen to currently be locked behind PvP content, there is nothing inherently “PvP” about them, certainly less so than the armors and weapons currently earnable through dungeon reward tracks are “dungeon armors” that should only be earned by playing those dungeons. So open those wings up to other content.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

And probably one in around five players will stay and play spvp even after getting the rewards done. Simply because he got into the spirit of the competitiveness of spvp.

I like PvP, like it in all mmos I play I like the competitiveness of it. However this system makes me hate PvP in GW2. In all probability I will get the wings then put spvp down and never set foot in it again as a result. And its nothing to do with the grinding aspect.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Yes well, I only made Emerald in season 1, should I just stop playing for the rest of the year? Apparently I have no chance of getting the wings this year?

See my point?

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No… those should come as alternative legendary back packs via different modes. Just like fractals has one with it’s own skin, which require you to fractal. It’s perfectly fine that pvp will get several with their own skins, which require you to pvp. Now they need to incorporate a few into WvW, and some through other PvE options. All with different skins. It incentivizes participation in those modes if you want a particular skin.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in PvP

Posted by: foogison.5067

foogison.5067

The Ascension is the 1 reward that hardcore PVPers currently have to stand out. All of you PVE players saying you want the skins – you have tons of other things to work towards.

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

No… those should come as alternative legendary back packs via different modes.

Ok, that would be fine too, so long as the wings looks identical to the Ascension. If they looked different, like the Fractal wings, then that would be somethng else entirely, like someone saying “I’d like chocolate cake.” “Sorry, only Billy gets chocolate cake, but you can have some carob cake, it’s basically the same.” It kitten-well is not “basically the same.”

All with different skins. It incentivizes participation in those modes if you want a particular skin.

No.

None of that.

Elements designed to encensivize you to play different systems should be short and sweet, achievable within a day or so, not over several months. They should give you enough time to decide whether you enjoy that content, but then, if you decide that you do NOT enjoy that content, you should be free to do something else, prize in hand, rather than having to continue to grind away at somethign you do not enjoy for several months if you want that thing.

In current terms, the “Recruit’s Wings of Glory” is probably a perfectly fine goal along those lines. They cost ten tickets, which you can get by passing out of Amber division. If you get through Amber and still aren’t having fun, then you shouldn’t have to stick around.

The Ascension is the 1 reward that hardcore PVPers currently have to stand out. All of you PVE players saying you want the skins – you have tons of other things to work towards.

Other things are different things, as in, not the same thing. Different things are different than the same things, and therefore an irrelevant response when someone says they want the same thing. I don’t know why people keep bringing them up as if they are making a relevant point, but I really wish they would stop.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ok, that would be fine too, so long as the wings looks identical to the Ascension. If they looked different, like the Fractal wings, then that would be somethng else entirely, like someone saying “I’d like chocolate cake.” “Sorry, only Billy gets chocolate cake, but you can have some carob cake, it’s basically the same.” It kitten-well is not “basically the same.”

All with different skins. It incentivizes participation in those modes if you want a particular skin.

No.

None of that.

Elements designed to encensivize you to play different systems should be short and sweet, achievable within a day or so, not over several months. They should give you enough time to decide whether you enjoy that content, but then, if you decide that you do NOT enjoy that content, you should be free to do something else, prize in hand, rather than having to continue to grind away at somethign you do not enjoy for several months if you want that thing.

In current terms, the “Recruit’s Wings of Glory” is probably a perfectly fine goal along those lines. They cost ten tickets, which you can get by passing out of Amber division. If you get through Amber and still aren’t having fun, then you shouldn’t have to stick around.

This is not how games, especially MMOs, work Ohoni. Shinies are the easiest reward with which to entice players out of their ‘comfort zone’ and into trying other game components. As such, those shinies need to have a modicum of uniqueness to be the draw. If it’s just the skin you’re after, then it should absolutely have specific requirements, such as being locked to pvp. If you’re after the functionality, then it needs to be readily available via multiple means.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in PvP

Posted by: Pakkazull.6894

Pakkazull.6894

No.

None of that.

Elements designed to encensivize you to play different systems should be short and sweet, achievable within a day or so, not over several months.

Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

No one is having a gun held to their head.

Edit: lol, don’t really know why I bother; you’ve had this crusade going for ages. But it’s good fun I guess.

in PvP

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

It seems like there will be multiple means to get stats or legendary items however skins are always locked/gated content. HoT gates skins to tokens, dungeons, fractals, pvp, gem store. I don’t see why we are having the issue in the PvP forums when gating skins/equipment is a GW2 concept for the entire game.

in PvP

Posted by: foogison.5067

foogison.5067

No.

None of that.

Other things are different things, as in, not the same thing. Different things are different than the same things, and therefore an irrelevant response when someone says they want the same thing. I don’t know why people keep bringing them up as if they are making a relevant point, but I really wish they would stop.

Then learn to play pvp????

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

No.

None of that.

be prepared to complete a certain set of content in order to obtain a certain item. its been this way for the life of the entire game and for many, many different types of things. titles, stat combos, minis, ascended gear subtypes, skins.

one of the biggest mistakes anet has made is letting pvpers run around with “Dungeoneer”, even though the dungeon reward tracks were an excellent addition.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

No.

None of that.

It’s a legendary item. You can not get a legendary anything in GW2 in a day, unless you’ve been playing awhile and have the gold to buy one, or pull out your credit card. I want the wings, not for the look, but because they are legendary. Sure I could go do the fractal one, but don’t enjoy fractals. To be fair, the PvP back seems the easiest one to make. So that’s why I’m going for it, not to mention I like PvP. Win-win for me. And its nice to see people have worked for things, not just used gold to buy them. I know everyone with the wings will have worked for them.

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

A lot of people in here shouting “Two wrongs DO make a right, shut up dude!”

It’s a legendary item. You can not get a legendary anything in GW2 in a day, unless you’ve been playing awhile and have the gold to buy one, or pull out your credit card.

True, and I’m by no means saying that you should be able to get The Ascension with only a day’s effort, I’m saying that it should take the same time to earn, roughly, just that you should be able to spend that time in PvP, OR doing something else.

As I noted, it would take a fair amount of time and effort in PvP just to acquire the “Recruit’s Wings of Glory.” That would be a fair “hey, give PvP a shot, you might like it” reward, so make that something that can ONLY be earned via PvP, and is necessary to unlock access to the other components. If you want Ascension, you need to clear Amber in the rankings at least once.

But then, once you’ve played a bit of PvP, once you’ve determined whether PvP is something you enjoy doing, let the player decide whether he wants to continue without holding the rest of the ingredients over his head. Just as a PvPer can run a dungeon ONCE to unlock a dungeon track, and then run that dungeon track infinitely to earn a full set of dungeon armor and weapons, provide alternate PvE options for unlocking the various other components.

It would still take just as much time and effort as the current Path to Ascension, possibly moreso, it would just be through activities that many players would prefer to grinding out the PvP lists.

And yes, obviously I would support similar proposals to make PvE-focused items more available via PvP, so everyone stop bringing them up as if they are some sort of counter-argument.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I don’t consider myself amazing at pvp, but if you want something really hard and you are willing to work for it. It can be done, just never give up.

Oooh, so pretty!

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Then Anet should implement the same with fractal backpack, plus raid loot plus a lot of other things, dunno….

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

Then Anet should implement the same with fractal backpack, plus raid loot plus a lot of other things, dunno….

It goes without saying.

And yet people insist on saying it.

A lot.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

It goes without saying.

And yet people insist on saying it.

A lot.

People keep repeating that point as a rhetorical “if they did that they would have to do this” to emphasize just how out of line that idea is with the entire games cosmetic rewards philosophy. not because they are ACTUALLY suggesting they do it.
Yet you still fail to grasp that every time.
Nobody is on board with your idea

in PvP

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

A lot of people will have these wings if ANET actually manages to host 4 seasons of PvP league. It’s just a matter of time and patience.

Slow ride.. take it easy!

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

People keep repeating that point as a rhetorical “if they did that they would have to do this” to emphasize just how out of line that idea is with the entire games cosmetic rewards philosophy.

But people have been suggesting they change that philosophy for a long time now, and they have made changes in that direction, such as Precursor crafting, and PvP Reward tracks. You don’t have to run dungeons anymore to get dungeon gear, so why not be able to run PvP content to get The Ascension?

A lot of people will have these wings if ANET actually manages to host 4 seasons of PvP league. It’s just a matter of time and patience.

I will, so any hardcore PvPers planning on having the “prestige” of some “PvPers only” item will have to just accept people like me running around with them. I’m well on track. I’m most of the way through the third achievement already with two and a half seasons to get the rest. I’ll get it, I just don’t enjoy it at all, and I don’t see how ANet benefits from me not enjoying myself.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

Slow ride.. take it easy!

Exactly, will wait for a better one which suit my fashion likings. current legend backpiece looks heavy to wear one prolly not suit my thief as i wanted to become agile and fierce.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

in PvP

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

People keep repeating that point as a rhetorical “if they did that they would have to do this” to emphasize just how out of line that idea is with the entire games cosmetic rewards philosophy.

But people have been suggesting they change that philosophy for a long time now, and they have made changes in that direction, such as Precursor crafting, and PvP Reward tracks. You don’t have to run dungeons anymore to get dungeon gear, so why not be able to run PvP content to get The Ascension?

None of those things are at all related to changing the game towards your philosophy
Precursor crafting was implemented because the ONLY way to get a precursor befor that was pure RNG, all the steps in precursor crafting require very SPECIFIC pve ONLY tasks, so right there it goes against your “philosophy”
The dungeon reward tracks in pvp have nothing to do with implementing alternative ways to get the gear, because you ALREADY could get all that gear in pvp before that.
The dungeon reward tracks coincided with the addition of the wardrobe system and the REMOVAL of pvp skins, you used to have a currency in pvp called glory that you could use to make pvp skins, because befor the wardrobe you had a completely different set of skins in pvp and you would have to unlock every skin separately
The dungeon reward tracks and ALL reward tracks in general was their replacement for the old method of earning skins in pvp

(edited by Kayberz.5346)

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

None of those things are at all related to changing the game towards your philosophy
Precursor crafting was implemented because the ONLY way to get a precursor befor that was pure RNG, all the steps in precursor crafting require very SPECIFIC pve ONLY tasks, so right there it goes against your “philosophy”

But it is about opening up new ways to get old things. If people had taken your attitude of “NO! Precursors can ONLY be earned through RNG because that’s the only way to currently earn them, and NEVER through any other means!” then we wouldn’t have precursor crafting.

The dungeon reward tracks in pvp have nothing to do with implementing alternative ways to get the gear, because you ALREADY could get all that gear in pvp before that.

That may apply to some of the reward tracks, but many were added after the change, such as the HoT tracks and the Maguuma Waste tracks, which offer access to unique armor and weapons that can otherwise only be earned via PvE. The precident is there.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

The introduction of dungeon reward tracks was to retain a functionality that PvP originally had. In the original incarnation of PvP rewards, you would obtain these skins in the same way as you would obtain any other skins. They did not want to remove that ability, so they added the reward tracks when they made the transition. This has no bearing on current or future development.

I will, so any hardcore PvPers planning on having the “prestige” of some “PvPers only” item will have to just accept people like me running around with them. I’m well on track. I’m most of the way through the third achievement already with two and a half seasons to get the rest. I’ll get it, I just don’t enjoy it at all, and I don’t see how ANet benefits from me not enjoying myself.

I am not sure how many people have the impression that PvP wings should be ‘prestige’ rewards for high skill level, as legendaries rarely have that quality; they are obtainable purely through time investment, with a relatively minor amount of actual ability. We already have PvP high-end exclusive rewards, including the glass-shouldered Glorious armor sets and the Primordial Legend title.

But it is about opening up new ways to get old things. If people had taken your attitude of “NO! Precursors can ONLY be earned through RNG because that’s the only way to currently earn them, and NEVER through any other means!” then we wouldn’t have precursor crafting.

Firstly, I don’t believe that is his attitude.
Secondly, this doesn’t actually have any bearing on anything. You’re just kinda talking about him and not the issue.

That may apply to some of the reward tracks, but many were added after the change, such as the HoT tracks and the Maguuma Waste tracks, which offer access to unique armor and weapons that can otherwise only be earned via PvE. The precident is there.

This is not a fair comparison.

Firstly, the HoT tracks, other than Magus Falls, do not provide particularly strong access to any sets. You’ll get one weapon from the Auric and Chak families, one piece of armor (gloves only), and then you only get components- VB, AB and TD can only be completed once. You still need to go and complete PvE content to be able to use those components you obtain from the Magus Falls track.

The two Maguuma Waste tracks are also not a fair comparison. The Dry Top track is the closest thing to what you’re suggesting is reality, but it still has the issue above; you still need to do Dry Top content to get to those patterns which allow you to turn your fossilized insects into weapons. The Silverwaste tracks is the same as the VB track; can only be completed once, only gives gloves.

Secondly, the legendary wings can only fairly be presumed to be items which demand high investment in that mode. It is only fair to compare them to similar items from HoT and Maguuma; chiefly, Machined Weapons and Luminescent Armor. It is completely impossible to obtain Machined Weapons and Luminescent Armor without participating in PvE content in those areas.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)