Do Leagues bring toxicity?

in PvP

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Since leagues have come, it is blatantly noticeable that just about no one is any happier than before. Highest level players face insane queue times, low level players face insane difficulty in upwards mobility in pips due to a system that works against them (aiming for 50% win rate in matchups = statistically, no progress should occur).

And then there is the whole SoloQ vs TeamQ/premades discussion.

And the lacking sense of balance between certain classes, as well as core vs. elite specs.

I truly believe we were closer to being E-Sports before June 23. The only factor that is improved now is the short term hype and attention from HoT and the release of Leagues. After all that dies down, we are still left with a more broken game than 6 months ago.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in PvP

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

About the 50% ratio, yes, and i think it’s fair, i personnaly know i won’t get past ruby and i’m fine with it, people who go past that 1/ team queue 2/ are better than me.

This is actually, despites its flaw, a system that will reward the best, like it should be.

in PvP

BeepBoopBop.5403

About the 50% ratio, yes, and i think it’s fair, i personnaly know i won’t get past ruby and i’m fine with it, people who go past that 1/ team queue 2/ are better than me.

This is actually, despites its flaw, a system that will reward the best, like it should be.

To move up a tier in a division, you have to win 5 games in a row. With a 50% chance each game (assuming a perfect system, which ofc its not), that is a 3.1% chance of going to the next tier. When you add in the complexities from issues such as solos vs premades and class balance, it all adds up to a mountain of horsekitten.

in PvP

Posted by: Zoricus.2439

Zoricus.2439

It rewards people that can team queue 100% of the time.

in PvP

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

To move up a tier in a division, you have to win 5 games in a row. With a 50% chance each game (assuming a perfect system, which ofc its not), that is a 3.1% chance of going to the next tier. When you add in the complexities from issues such as solos vs premades and class balance, it all adds up to a mountain of horsekitten.

Well, technically not in a row. I just spent what felt like 20 matches yesterday, winning, then losing , then winning, then losing (queued solo from the start of Leagues for what it’s worth), and so on forth, on the last pip to reach Sapphire. It felt like a endless cycle of being back to needing 2 pips, then back to needing 1 pip, rinse-repeat. Eventually I won two in a row. There are also several times I’ve climbed a few pips, only to drop down one, then climb a few more. I’ve even had a 9-10 win streak, all solo queue.

The biggest offender is when I get queued against good grouped players, especially when it just repeatedly happens and I lose all the pips I’ve gained towards a tier. That just leaves me salty. That makes me frustrated. They have such a huge advantage. MMR balancing can take a seat when it comes to that scenario. Grouped players always has a massive advantage over those who are randomly put together. Losing to teams, is kitten horse and fluffy kittens kitten. Nothing makes me saltier, and I have to vent by asking for water in the map chat, because I am salty as kitten.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in PvP

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

I just want the ticket things for the legendary back piece… If only there was a reward track that you could get them from so I don’t have to deal with almost finishing a tier then bam…. Here is that losing streak you always wanted.

in PvP

Posted by: Opc.4718

Opc.4718

Well you can’t just have the legendary back piece unless you’re pretty legendary with your PvP skills. Honestly if you’re playing the leagues because the backpiece is your only goal, you’re definitely going to have a terrible time. This isn’t a usual farm, and you actually gotta be skillful with how you approach it.

And by skillful, I mean either finding a good premade to carry you or being able to carry as a solo queuer.

Kehlirixx Q | Nixx Q | Classic Bunker

in PvP

BeepBoopBop.5403

Well, technically not in a row. I just spent what felt like 20 matches yesterday, winning, then losing , then winning, then losing (queued solo from the start of Leagues for what it’s worth), and so on forth, on the last pip to reach Sapphire. It felt like a endless cycle of being back to needing 2 pips, then back to needing 1 pip, rinse-repeat. Eventually I won two in a row. There are also several times I’ve climbed a few pips, only to drop down one, then climb a few more. I’ve even had a 9-10 win streak, all solo queue.

The biggest offender is when I get queued against good grouped players, especially when it just repeatedly happens and I lose all the pips I’ve gained towards a tier. That just leaves me salty. That makes me frustrated. They have such a huge advantage. MMR balancing can take a seat when it comes to that scenario. Grouped players always has a massive advantage over those who are randomly put together. Losing to teams, is kitten horse and fluffy kittens kitten. Nothing makes me saltier, and I have to vent by asking for water in the map chat, because I am salty as kitten.

I agree. GW2 PvP has been extremely unfun to me for 2 reasons:

1. I main a thief. I have had to reroll just to be competitive for Leagues. This shouldn’t happen. Before anyone says “blah blah old mesmer!”, they never had it this bad, and they had an advantage vs melee classes other than thief. Plus, mesmers still saw quite a bit of representation in tournaments during that time period, TCG stomped people with a mesmer. Thief, we have like who, just Sizer now and everyone rerolled? It is not the same at all. Mesmer never had to deal with the semi-P2W bullkitten that is HoT specs.

2. I like. To SoloQ. Even pros like to SoloQ. No one can TeamQ 100% of the time. Putting us in this environment where our last win can easily be wasted because we were put up against a premade is not fun. There needs to be a separation here to even BEGIN to make sense.

in PvP

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Well you can’t just have the legendary back piece unless you’re pretty legendary with your PvP skills. Honestly if you’re playing the leagues because the backpiece is your only goal, you’re definitely going to have a terrible time. This isn’t a usual farm, and you actually gotta be skillful with how you approach it.

And by skillful, I mean either finding a good premade to carry you or being able to carry as a solo queuer.

Any prestige is gone from that skin. It’s now the “L33T PUG Farm” Skin

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in PvP

Opc.4718

It takes a certain skill set to be a l33t pug farmer (ie ability to make the right friends), and even then if you’re not that good of a player, you’re going to be hemorrhaging pips at higher tiers where everyone is either a good solo queuer here to take 2-3 of your pips, or other good premades.

in PvP

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

Everything with GW2 brings toxicity. It’s literally everywhere.

Certified Gameaholic

in PvP

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

It takes a certain skill set to be a l33t pug farmer (ie ability to make the right friends), and even then if you’re not that good of a player, you’re going to be hemorrhaging pips at higher tiers where everyone is either a good solo queuer here to take 2-3 of your pips, or other good premades.

Whatever makes you feel like a special snowflake. Everyone is going to assume you exploited and pug farmed for it so it means nothing. That’s the only thing that matters with a prestige item.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in PvP

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

I just want the ticket things for the legendary back piece… If only there was a reward track that you could get them from so I don’t have to deal with almost finishing a tier then bam…. Here is that losing streak you always wanted.

Good point. A lot of people just want the shinies rather than say the ‘status/recognition’. Which is an important point because GW2 being dubbed ‘Fashionwars 2’ will attract people to Leagues who dont care about it at all, let alone PvP itself.

in PvP

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

Anet went to the “no balance” direction before meta settled and people noticed the most broken stuff. Viper Revenants and Bunker Mesmer were not there yet when that decision was taken.

This is a recipe for disaster.

Alerie Despins

in PvP

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

More competitive environments usually lead to more toxicity, but here there also another HUGE factor: It’s been shown time and time again that Arenanet has no idea how some classes work, has no idea how to actually balance the game, has no idea (or no will) to give classes more than 1 viable build, and most kitten ing of all:

Arenanet, to this day, hasn’t been able to give us sufficient and working PVP infractructure, even with like 3 PVP infrastructure reworks in 3 years. Pity, really.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

“Do Leagues bring toxicity?” No. Path to Ascension brings toxicity.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in PvP

Opc.4718

Whatever makes you feel like a special snowflake. Everyone is going to assume you exploited and pug farmed for it so it means nothing. That’s the only thing that matters with a prestige item.

I’ve mostly been solo queuing up the ranks so I understand exactly how much effort it takes to climb ranks. I love 3 pip wins from premades hoping to do some farming. It’s not coincidence that the people who have reached sapphire-ruby and above are pretty good players for the most part, ESPECIALLY the pug players. I don’t know how the lower MMR shenanigans work though.

in PvP

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Leagues? yes and they will always do…because that is the nature of COMPETITION. You think when “army X” and “army Y” met IRL they talked about sparkly things and rainbows? no..they BM themselves. BM is in our nature when it comes to competition.

What i personally consider truly “toxic” is a system that ENCOURAGES it.

in PvP

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

Most of the toxicity comes from the terrible matchmaking system which isn’t the players fault.

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Funny thing about that, every time I team queue with more than 3 people, the 50% thing kicks in. But when I play solo or with 1 other or with 2 others, I just jump through the tiers like I’m skipping daisies.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Your team must not be that good then lol.

in PvP

BeepBoopBop.5403

Your team must not be that good then lol.

I queue solo/duo almost exclusively. When I try to be Espurtz, I’ll have a team to queue with and one of my teammates will be on an Amber Div alt so we can abuse the matchmaking system. And that team’s name is Team PZ.

in PvP

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

You basically have to be a tryhard DH or Reaper or Revenant if you wanna progress efficiently and pray that your team mates aren’t PvE people whom has no idea about PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Short answer: Absolutely. While pvp will always have morons, it’s never been this bad. If anet keeps this pace up, they will equal the worst toxicity that some other games have. And that is saying something for a game wich used to have great community, and very low toxicity level.

Now (because leagues) it’s all ego, elitism, favoritism, ‘win or rage’, etc. The worst part is Anet still combines SoloQ and TeamQ when toxicity levels are rising. You think this won’t explode? The TeamQ people will just brag on even more (cause of the extra free wins), not realizing they are free and the soloQ people will feel left in the dark, abandoned by Anet. Long time frustration, that is not fixed, or admitted, is never a good omen for future prevention of Toxicity.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Ofcourse it does. And there’s nothing wrong with it. Competitiveness brings the salt out. You have options to deal with it.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

Toxicity VS ARENANET!

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

Zoricus.2439

Ofcourse it does. And there’s nothing wrong with it. Competitiveness brings the salt out. You have options to deal with it.

Yes, Vinegar.

in PvP

Zoricus.2439

Funny thing about that, every time I team queue with more than 3 people, the 50% thing kicks in. But when I play solo or with 1 other or with 2 others, I just jump through the tiers like I’m skipping daisies.

In yoloQ I usually get grouped with folks who obviously got to there due to having extremely low mmr and gaining pips, or put on those 1 war 2 thief teams… When grouped with 1 or 2 others its usually 50/50.

I’m salty as the day is long, the Bonneville salt flats got nothing on me.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Everything with GW2 brings toxicity. It’s literally everywhere.

Correction everything in competitive gaming brings toxicity. Don’t believe me? Go play League.

Toxicity happens because player’s invest a little bit of their self worth and ego into their games, additionally players tend to have a overinflated opinion of themselves because of this.
When you add in a leaderboard it gets worse because now you’ve added a system that gives players a definitive value to their skill, and rarely if ever is that value anywhere near where their ego thinks it should be, which results in players blaming whatever scapegoat is handy, be it premades, bad matchmaker, evil MMR tankers, class balance, Obama, etc.

That said, I don’t think this game is overly toxic. Most of the rage is directed at the devs anyways, which is fine since the alternative is players raging at each other.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.4802

Terrorsquad.4802

Yes, Leagues bring toxicity.

Denied NA Account | 8.4k hours | 5.6k Games | Bored

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

hell yes they do!

it’s horrible to play, I’ve probaby blocked and reported 50 ppl in the last week or so. :P

Not only the leagues though; the balance is horrible, there are some major abuses going on etc. It’s just very very hard to enjoy the game right now.

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

“Do Leagues bring toxicity?” No. Path to Ascension brings toxicity.

Losing pips brings toxicity.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro