Dodge the Meta Tournament

in PvP

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Hah, I like how Thief S/P is banned. It got a minor buff along with the hard hit on IR, and somehow it’s OP now. Because logic. And he didn’t even bother banning D/P Trickery, which is more cheese than S/D could ever hope to be.

S/P can’t even perma evade. Shows how much OP knows about the class.

s/p is pretty brainless though… i main thief btw :P

It’s only brainless if you think that spamming 3 is how you win, which is not how the set is played. S/P has a higher skill floor that most thieves can’t/don’t bother to reach, and in higher levels of tournament play it’s easy to see a good thief using S/P compared to a bad/new one.

PW precast + IR is sooo harddddd (eyesroll)

I don’t get why people think that PW is a burst skill at all. 2 hits are guaranteed, for a whopping 2k crit if you’re lucky. I get why you think it’s mindless, but no decent S/P thief uses PW as the main source of damage, as it’s just an initiative hog. Sword AA does much more damage and provides perma cripple and weakness, ruining anyone running burst with AoE cleave, and Pistol 5 is fantastic for safely burning down melee bunkers and far point assaulters. Pistol Whip is a utility, not a direct damage source. When you learn that, you find that S/P isn’t as easy as you thought it was. I’d love to see videos of your top-tier thief play running S/P just to show the world how easy it is. Until then, go ahead and believe that misguided notion you’ve got.

Also: You can’t even use IR with PW precast anymore, and it wasn’t even a good combo when it was possible before IR got a cast time nearly 2 months ago. I like how you bring that up and are trying to argue against S/P when clearly you’re so biased against sword thieves that you haven’t even tried or followed the events leading up to or past December 10th.

ya my bad, ment IS

either way, idk what game you are playing but every single thief i see is running s/p atm and all spam 3 non stop

That’s because they’re bad. I’ve never lost to an S/P thief. They all go full zerk as if it’s some sort of burst set and spam 3 like it’s no tomorrow, paying no mind to the situational aspects of it. In that sense, S/P thief I suppose is kind if like D/X thief, who just go around spamming 2 all day. Oh wait.

And again, you can’t chain PW into IS. There’s a cast time on it too.

(edited by Viking Jorun.5413)

in PvP

Posted by: Sickness.9831

Sickness.9831

I like the idea of banning fresh air, but i think if this trait is banned halting strike, confounding suggestions and the steal daze should be banned aswell

Shaku – Elementalist – Made in Meta [MiM]
http://www.twitch.tv/shakuzan

(edited by Sickness.9831)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Why do people want to ban fresh air?

Heaven forbid you might have to dodge a phoenix, especially in a matchup without CC…

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Actually, it would be interesting to see another tournament with the reverse of this concept. Instead of banning builds, you just have fixed builds for people to choose from, like lol or a fighting game.

The tournament organizers decide on a moderate power level, and then carefully craft 3 builds per class that’s balanced and interesting and not stronger than that power level.

Over successive tournaments, unused builds can be adjusted or replaced, or additional builds can be designed.

Basically we’re taking away the rpg aspect from players. (but using it as a mechanism for community-driven balancing).

Well, a tournament with blacklisted builds promotes innovation in builds. Which is a good thing, actually one of the best aspects in GW2.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Viking Jorun.5413

I like the idea of banning fresh air, but i think if this trait is banned halting strike, confounding suggestions and the steal daze should be banned aswell

Why don’t we just ban everything and make everyone play a greatsword warrior? Because logic.

in PvP

Sickness.9831

Why don’t we just ban everything and make everyone play a greatsword warrior? Because logic.

well, i just think fresh air is kittened cause it automaticly combos with the air 15 minor trait which gets completely uncounterable in this combo (yeah, i main ele), also you cant tell me steal instant daze allows counterplay (using stability everytime i want to heal isnt my definition of counterplay, sorry………not to mention the boonsteal on steal that allows you to daze threw stability)….
halting strike just causes insanely strong chaos storm power creep (maybe it isnt needed to ban this trait, but im realy not sure about it), and confounding suggestions is a bugged trait…..well, i guess uncounterable things and power creep are the stuff we want to avoid..or am i mistaken?

in PvP

Posted by: Phantaram.1265

Phantaram.1265

Can’t say I wouldn’t be interested. The rules and bans will have to be very specific though.

in PvP

Viking Jorun.5413

well, i just think fresh air is kittened cause it automaticly combos with the uncounterable air 15 minor trait (yeah, i main ele), also you cant tell me steal daze is counterable….
halting strike just causes insanely strong chaos storm power creep, and confounding suggestions is a bugged trait…..well, i guess uncounterable things and power creep are the stuff we want to avoid..or am i mistaken?

Steal daze is one of the few viable traits thieves have. Take that away and they’ve got nothing. You can typically tell when a thief is about to steal, and dodging/blinding/blocking/evading it puts steal on full cooldown. A thief with that many traits into Trickery is going to be hurting if you dodge just one of their steals, and will most likely lose the fight if you avoid two. There is in fact counter play, most people just don’t bother to L2P and cry OP because rock beats scissors, and scissors refuses to become paper.

in PvP

Sickness.9831

well, i just think fresh air is kittened cause it automaticly combos with the uncounterable air 15 minor trait (yeah, i main ele), also you cant tell me steal daze is counterable….
halting strike just causes insanely strong chaos storm power creep, and confounding suggestions is a bugged trait…..well, i guess uncounterable things and power creep are the stuff we want to avoid..or am i mistaken?

Steal daze is one of the few viable traits thieves have. Take that away and they’ve got nothing. You can typically tell when a thief is about to steal, and dodging/blinding/blocking/evading it puts steal on full cooldown. A thief with that many traits into Trickery is going to be hurting if you dodge just one of their steals, and will most likely lose the fight if you avoid two. There is in fact counter play, most people just don’t bother to L2P and cry OP because rock beats scissors, and scissors refuses to become paper.

sry, but i think if you use your >instant< steal into a dodgeroll it isnt me that needs to l2p…and im not sure if it will hurt the thief too hard if i dodge a 20sec instant skill, that should hit like 90% of the time…and if i realy manage to dodge a instant skill its just fine that it hurts him… just saying

in PvP

Viking Jorun.5413

sry, but i think if you use your >instant< steal into a dodgeroll it isnt me that needs to l2p…. just saying

Mistakes happen. It’s not a L2P issue – that was just one example. You can easily initiate shield stance, have cover boons that I rip instead of Aegis, use instant blinds (see what I did there?), have just initiated a dodge (human reaction time isn’t instant – this is why I included dodge, chum). The list could go on. Steal is a counterable mechanic if you’re a good player, which obviously you aren’t judging by your lack of ability to even accept that maybe you’re wrong. As a thief, I know how to counter steal, and it’s pretty funny when it happens.

in PvP

Sickness.9831

sry, but i think if you use your >instant< steal into a dodgeroll it isnt me that needs to l2p…. just saying

Mistakes happen. It’s not a L2P issue – that was just one example. You can easily initiate shield stance, have cover boons that I rip instead of Aegis, use instant blinds (see what I did there?), have just initiated a dodge (human reaction time isn’t instant – this is why I included dodge, chum). The list could go on. Steal is a counterable mechanic if you’re a good player, which obviously you aren’t judging by your lack of ability to even accept that maybe you’re wrong. As a thief, I know how to counter steal, and it’s pretty funny when it happens.

i didnt say there is a different to the instant blinds, or other instant skills at all…to your “good player” argument: in my oppinion a good player should use instant skills when there is no reason for the enemy to dodge, and i said you should hit it like 90%, not 100% of the time, cause i thought about lucky dodges
and as you may know the shield “stance” has 75sec cd, the steal has 20secs and ele doesnt even has acess to aegis^^….further i think i can accept when im wrong for sure, but in this case i am right.

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

I like this idea, it’s interesting
The problem I foresee is there might be issues with the banned builds, in terms of “what constitutes a fullbunker engi”, or a MM necro? I think it’s better if you simply banned specific skills, traits, or combinations thereof, like you did with ranger where you just say “no spirits”. For necro you could say “no terror, no dhuumfire” for instance. I realise you might not know enough about all the classes to do this, but you can ask people who main them.
Incidentally,. I also suggest you ban Lyssa runes, as certain builds hinge on them.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Viking Jorun.5413

i didnt say there is a different to the instant blinds, or other instant skills at all…to your “good player” argument: in my oppinion a good player should use instant skills when there is no reason for the enemy to dodge, and i said you should hit it like 90%, not 100% of the time, cause i thought about lucky dodges
and as you may know the shield “stance” has 75sec cd, the steal has 20secs and ele doesnt even has acess to aegis^^….further i think i can accept when im wrong for sure, but in this case i am right.

Back to my initial point though: even if you can’t counter something reliably, taking away the only thing that makes thieves viable in any competitive format is just stupidly careless. Trickery doesn’t need to be nerfed; other grandmasters need to be buffed (with the exception of the CS and SA lines).

in PvP

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

confounding suggestions is a bugged trait…..well, i guess uncounterable things and power creep are the stuff we want to avoid..or am i mistaken?

They fixed the bug for this trait.
Mesmer

• Chaos Storm: Fixed a bug that caused this skill to stun enemies whether or not it dazed them when traited with Confounding Suggestions.

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

The air 15 trait does kitten all damage, even on a min maxed ele. It’s the air 2 that does the damage.

All fresh air does is bring scepter auto inline the with auto of other glass dps, please don’t try to argue this.

There’s about 6 builds on various classes I would play on a dps roamer over fresh air ele(excluding the other obvious ones on warrior/theif), that would just faceroll it…

signed,

unnecessarily angry forum rager

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Django.5923

Django.5923

Ok guys I had lots of feedback, thank you.

We only have 1 custom arena so far probably needs more, so if someone could lend their arena would be great.

Please tell me if you need something to be more specific and give constructive feedback (means tell how it should be done better).

What should be banned on mesmer?

Also keep in mind that it’s the intention to defeat the cheese meta in a first step (or dodge which is better acutally, thanks Baldric) meaning: no spiritranger, evadethieves, fearchainnecs, bunkerengis, hambows

I would like to see, what people play when the current most used builds are not allowed and after that in the second tournament make a new banned list, if certain builds dominate the “meta”.

Class stacking is not allowed keep that in mind.

Still need people who support. I want to make this happen and not only to stay an idea.

If you give suggestions please give them in list form:

Mesmer
- Afros banned

for example

(edited by Django.5923)

in PvP

Sickness.9831

confounding suggestions is a bugged trait…..well, i guess uncounterable things and power creep are the stuff we want to avoid..or am i mistaken?

They fixed the bug for this trait.
Mesmer

• Chaos Storm: Fixed a bug that caused this skill to stun enemies whether or not it dazed them when traited with Confounding Suggestions.

k, then i think there shouldnt be any problem anymore in using this trait, sorry.

The air 15 trait does kitten all damage, even on a min maxed ele. It’s the air 2 that does the damage.

All fresh air does is bring scepter auto inline the with auto of other glass dps, please don’t try to argue this.

firstly i cant see where i said the air 15 trait does all the dmg(?)
as i said before, i think fresh air itself is fine, its just, like every other instant range dmg skill, what fresh air is, cause you automaticly have the air15 trait when using fresh air, unavoidable, what makes it kittened in my eyes…..

even if fresh air brings the dps of scepters autoattack on a level of other glass specs autoattacks, what it defenitely does, it still is pretty much unavoidable, what kinda sucks imo…..

in PvP

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

would a 0/30/20/20/0 (with terror but not dumbfire) necro build be on the banned list?

any answer on this?

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in PvP

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Guys, I’m pretty sure there are a lot of lads who have their private arenas ( including our PvP team – NNN ).

Is there any chance the OP would be willing to co-organise this with some of us and all the others willing to do this here?

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

in PvP

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Why dont you just run a tourney where everyone has to play an ele. Now that would be interesting and you wouldnt even have to worry about which other classes specs you need to ban or not.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Thief
- S/D and S/P perma evade trickery thieves. (The combination of mainhand sword with 10.0.30.30.0 // 10,0,30,0,30 is not allowed)

I think you mean 10/30/0/30/0 and 10/30/0/0/30.

Are other S/D and S/P builds allowed? I run a 10/0/0/30/30 S/D build, so I’m wondering whether or not that would qualify for this tournament. It’s not exactly meta, but its playstyle is pretty similar to those other S/D builds.

Oh, and I might be interested in being part of this tournament. Depends on when it is though.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: the sober ninja.6539

the sober ninja.6539

You’re banning a lot of builds, makes me think you’re a scrub.

in PvP

Posted by: Django.5923

Django.5923

thanks for the good constructive feedback sizer and sober ninja.

Sorry you two can’t play builds which aren’t on the list

shots fired

Back to the actual topic and guys who really contribute. Thanks Arganthium I put those 30 points wrong.

I think your build should be ok. It doesn’t deal that huge dmg probably.
I’m not sure whether to ban sword entirely or build a rule which alows other sword builds. But I can’t really think about it. Maybe the one now is ok

We probably got enough arenas now. Need more teams to sign up tough!
So far:

1. Read it Backwards [BooN] (not sure which letter is big and which small sorry)

(edited by Django.5923)

in PvP

Posted by: Ritor.5260

Ritor.5260

Nice idia and nice ban list, agry with all.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Did you ever ban Bunker guardians, yet? >_>:

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Lescansy.6174

Lescansy.6174

I think the 0/0/0/X/0 Traitline have to banned on Thief in combination with the Sword.

Hambow too: only the Combination with Hammer and Longbow banned.

Only that and not more. (for these 2 classes)

in PvP

Posted by: Sari.9836

Sari.9836

/bump
What has happened to this ?
Also, I agree that only certain skills and traits should be banned rather than traitlines to open up enough options.
I would also allow class stacking, though not every class stacking team composition.

(edited by Sari.9836)

in PvP

Posted by: xantosnightwish.5438

xantosnightwish.5438

I was intrigued by this idea as well. Any update for us? We have a custom arena yall would be able to use for the tourney as well.

DPS Co-Owner and CEO
Digital Pro Sports
Bear Cavalry of Legend PVP 4life!

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Oh look it’s the GW2 player-made version of GW1 Codex Arena!
Anyhow, it’s a good idea, but unfortunately it doesn’t amount to much more than a grasping-at-straws kind of effort.
Gl!

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363