Does ANYONE play a DPS build anymore?

in PvP

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Serious question. Room after room is condi tanks over and over. Don’t get me started on the dueling rooms. Will Anet actually address the condi meta? I thought a while back there was supposed to be a new healing skill that helped address the condi meta but it’s not available in sPvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Nabbo.2845

Nabbo.2845

DPS Guard/Power Necro here

in PvP

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

I just want to point out that condition builds are literally the definition of dps.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

i play power on mesmer, thief and ele,
condi on engi and necro.

in PvP

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Erm….pretty sure conditions count as Damage Per Second.

I assume you meant to say squishy power builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Every thief you run into, most mesmers, DPS guards, and power necros. Even warriors (tho “glassy” isn’t quite true there)

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

DPS is such a Player versus Environment term. It originated from WoW raids, where everyone and their mother uses 3rd party add-ons that clock and keep track of their damage on bosses, so that they can wave around their big DPS numbers and proudly say “I killed this A.I programmed NPC with X DPS!”

in PvP

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

DPS engie can be fun to one-shot people before they apply 2 conditions on you :P ( 1 condi removed every 15 sec )

in PvP

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

I play power necro mostly now and condi necro occasionally, but i play my own version of power build and very often people either ask me about my choices in my build or even say that my build is bad.
Why? Because most people cant think outside of box in this game and i chose more sustained and survibility over maximum DPS that my build could provide.
My damage is not bad in any way, but some people just dont get that this is no PVE and not always your damage will be that kills enemy.
The high condi warr population is because the spec is very effective in bad players , if it is big problem for you then just learn as much as possible about them and figure out ways how to counter them.

in PvP

Posted by: Chuck Zitto.2367

Chuck Zitto.2367

Pretty much only thieves. Big part of the problem is raw damage takes power plus usually percision and or crit dmg. Which leaves 1 or 0 other stats for defense. Condi on the other hand only takes 1 stat. No other stat effects condi dmg at all like toughness does raw dmg. So you can get all the dmg you need in the form of 1 stat and then take 2 defensive stats or 1 defensive stat and percision for more condi on crit traits/skills/sigils.

in PvP

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

meditation guards making a come back

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

I just want to point out that condition builds are literally the definition of dps.

Well to me they’re damage over time (DoT), not DPS. But we could just be arguing semantics.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

It is certainly a tanky meta right now. That said, you typically see dps thieves (since they are the only class without any viable “tanky” build), eles, mesmers, and the occasional meditation guard these days.

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

The problem’s not as much an issue with people not running DPS builds as it is that certain classes (warrior) can run DPS builds while also being incredibly tanky.

If I were dev for a day, I’d nerfbat warrior DPS and boost their stun/CC capabilities. This would keep them viable as team players that could set up burst or shut down enemies for a burn without being a bunker and DPS rolled into one.

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Well to me they’re damage over time (DoT), not DPS. But we could just be arguing semantics.

DPS is actually a role, used in a different context (aka. tank, healer, DPS).

In sPvP we have similar, but different roles, namingly Bunker, Burst-assist and point holder.

Point Holders are your typical Condition spamers with high durability while burst assist tends to be a Thief (or Mesmer).

in PvP

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

DPS is such a Player versus Environment term. It originated from WoW raids, where everyone and their mother uses 3rd party add-ons that clock and keep track of their damage on bosses, so that they can wave around their big DPS numbers and proudly say “I killed this A.I programmed NPC with X DPS!”

dps did not start with wow raids, you need to go way farther back then wow to find a game called everquest.

anyways dps is damage per second, Condi is damage so is a form of dps, the op is looking at dot damage vs direct damage. Right now direct damage is not the “in” thing.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!