Does Anet use track statistics for balancing?

in PvP

Posted by: Gatvin.6510

Gatvin.6510

I don’t want to know exactly the metric methods they use. They shouldn’t tell us for important reasons, but is it known if they mine data on builds from matches throughout the season?

I’d certainly trust their balance decisions more if we knew for sure they did.

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

I’m sure they don’t, but if people cry about something loud enough, like seriously any stupid thing, they will then change it to some degree. Example: Dragonhunter nerfs, lol when they have always been a low tier class but great to stomp bad players, and most of the players are indeed bad.

Stella Truth Seeker

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m sure they don’t, but if people cry about something loud enough, like seriously any stupid thing, they will then change it to some degree. Example: Dragonhunter nerfs, lol when they have always been a low tier class but great to stomp bad players, and most of the players are indeed bad.

Yep, dragonhuntrr running a trap build eats bad players for fun.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Gatvin.6510

Thanks. This isn’t what I meant though. I KNOW they have a matchmaking system. What I meant is do they for class-balance purposes track say, the average winrate of all paladin amulet players, or the average win rate of all Revanents? What’s the damage over a game of the average Engineer? What’s the most popular tree combinations for a given class?

They don’t need to tell us what they are (though its probably good to do that when balancing things), but I’d like to know if they HAVE that info if they wanted to give it.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Statistics/metrics will tell you what you want them to. They have to be taken with a grain of salt and approached in different ways. It’s why matchmaking looked like it was working correctly at first (different from the design, as opposed to bad design).

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Gatvin.6510

Statistics/metrics will tell you what you want them to. They have to be taken with a grain of salt and approached in different ways. It’s why matchmaking looked like it was working correctly at first (different from the design, as opposed to bad design).

You do need to ask the right questions in order to get a useful bearing with statistics. But if you don’t have them around you can’t get bearings at all. Matchmaking or balance statistics are a useful tool for checking a design against. No one gets it perfect the first time, and the live version will always be different than the test, just because of users.

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

oh my bad lol. thought this was another mmr thread.

i would be interested to see some of these stats you speak of.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’m sure they don’t

I’m 100% certain they do. Gathering such metrics is something developers having been doing ever since online connectivity became a thing. Anet completely understands what builds are and aren’t getting run at all levels of play.

While I couldn’t dig up anything on ArenaNet, here is a sample interview from a developer from a older mmo about that game’s metrics. And given the age of that game, I’m certain that Arenanet can do anything those devs can do.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Gatvin.6510

I’m sure they don’t

I’m 100% certain they do. Gathering such metrics is something developers having been doing ever since online connectivity became a thing. Anet completely understands what builds are and aren’t getting run at all levels of play.

While I couldn’t dig up anything on ArenaNet, here is a sample interview from a developer from a older mmo about that game’s metrics. And given the age of that game, I’m certain that Arenanet can do anything those devs can do.

Thanks everyone. Just kind of seeing if anyone else could find anything. I’m quite aware that other mmo’s and online games use metrics, but like the one you linked Crinn, usually its mentioned somewhere, and I also couldn’t find anything for GW2. I certainly hope they do, but mostly because they’re a useful tool. I’ll have fun either way. =)