Does Chrono feel a little "meh" to you?

in PvP

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

I’ll be the first to say no, I don’t think mesmer is bad, it has pretty good condition damage and portal is such a useful utility in pvp boosting it’s already decent mobility. However, I think when it comes to matchups, chrono falls a little short in this meta.

Similar to thief, they have low toughness in a very high power meta which can be a bit problematic.

-DH is a nightmare at times, but that’s ok you’re supposed to have a counter or two.

-Warrior, not impossible but can be a pretty hard matchup due to the raw damage and condi cleanse.

-Thief? Mostly countered by vault spammer.

Ele? Not really worth contesting for 1v1 but they can hate confusion at times.

Revenant: Anything can kill a revenant lol, were talking about viable classes.

Druid: Can be ok, they hate your conditions and you hate their power damage and healing

Necro and scrapper I’ll put in the same category because I feel like these are your most effective matchups.

Portal is great, but when you take that portal only to be forced to contest with some pretty bad matchups, I feel like it’s more about working in the background than having that 1v1 potential.

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

It takes a lot of confidence in your ability to play Mesmer to feel comfortable fighting a DH IMO. I like Mesmers current playstyle. There are times where I’ve thought to myself, “dang it, they have a Mesmer!”

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

It takes a lot of confidence in your ability to play Mesmer to feel comfortable fighting a DH IMO. I like Mesmers current playstyle. There are times where I’ve thought to myself, “dang it, they have a Mesmer!”

I feel like DH is the worst matchup and requires very good timing, but generally not something you want to go 1v1 against to contest a point.

Do you usually the current meta build?

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Yes, I play LB + Sword/Shield… It’s very good. I feel like Mesmer can’t mess up a whole lot in that matchup unless the DH is average/bad OR uses their condition cleanses at the wrong time. I’ve fallen victim of cleansing too early

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

Yes, I play LB + Sword/Shield… It’s very good. I feel like Mesmer can’t mess up a whole lot in that matchup unless the DH is average/bad OR uses their condition cleanses at the wrong time. I’ve fallen victim of cleansing too early

I’ve done it too, maybe it has more to do with the cds and stuff too, just not a matchup a chrono would wanna take if they dont have to haha

in PvP

Posted by: Forsty.7968

Forsty.7968

1v1s arent really the main area of condi mes anymore but its still very good at them which is nice. I like a more roam based play style every once in a while anyways.

in PvP

Posted by: SaltAndLight.4652

SaltAndLight.4652

Mesmer is in an interesting spot at the moment. They lack a clear purpose. Mesmers are good at 1v1 but they are unable to bring down most classes quick enough to justify spending the time contesting. But, they aren’t that great in a team fight either, relying on Staff skills to buff allies and spread conditions to enemies.

They are the only profession that provides team mobility via Portal, but you can’t make your team use your portals.

Necro is the best matchup while DH is the worst.

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

Mesmer is actually the best class to carry with in solo queue if you are good on them. Either them or thief. Problem is most people suck on them even most of the people that think they are good on them. All those so called bad matchups are really not all that bad at all. Just watch somebody like Helseth.

(edited by steelheart.7386)

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Mesmer are good to carry with, they are also one of the hardest classes to be excellent at. That’s why you see so many kitten mesmers and so incredibly few good mesmers. So saying they can carry well if you are one of the best is irrelevant to 95% of the people that play PvP.

in PvP

SaltAndLight.4652

Mesmer is actually the best class to carry with in solo queue if you are good on them. Either them or thief. Problem is most people suck on them even most of the people that think they are good on them. All those so called bad matchups are really not all that bad at all. Just watch somebody like Helseth.

These conversations always comes back to Helseth. A player of his caliber could carry in solo queue using just about any class. He just happens to prefer Mesmer and post videos about it.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

These conversations always comes back to Helseth. A player of his caliber could carry in solo queue using just about any class. He just happens to prefer Mesmer and post videos about it.

On personal experience I still agree that a well played Mesmer and thief are the best carry classes, without them being helseth.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Problem is DH is a hard counter, and there is an over abundance of people who roll DH.

Thief although more fair of a matchup has some pretty one sided advantages. Which sucks even more when competing for the same slot.

Everything else other than Necro takes to long to even bother fighting or is a stalemate, and Necros have felt like one of the lowest performing for a while now. (at least to me)

In the context of 5v5 conquest I guess it’s fine, but feels lacking unless you have a decent team. There is no reason to roll something that counters the lowest common denominator, but is countered by two of the most prevalent… Outside of portal.

and power shatter needs buffs.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in PvP

SaltAndLight.4652

Problem is DH is a hard counter, and there is an over abundance of people who roll DH.

Thief although more fair of a matchup has some pretty one sided advantages. Which sucks even more when competing for the same slot.

Everything else other than Necro takes to long to even bother fighting or is a stalemate, and Necros have felt like one of the lowest performing for a while now. (at least to me)

In the context of 5v5 conquest I guess it’s fine, but feels lacking unless you have a decent team. There is no reason to roll something that counters the lowest common denominator, but is countered by two of the most prevalent outside of portal.

This.

(edited by SaltAndLight.4652)

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

No it really doesn’t. Builds that 100-0 in <1s through death shroud with less telegraph than a thief do not need buffs.

Besides the spec seems to be coming back into meta, since I’ve seen more power mesmers in the past week than I have seen condi mesmers.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

No it really doesn’t. Builds that 100-0 in <1s through death shroud with less telegraph than a thief do not need buffs.

Besides the spec seems to be coming back into meta, since I’ve seen more power mesmers in the past week than I have seen condi mesmers.

Less telegraph than a thief? Are you referring to Mirror blade shatter combo?

Cuz a 3/4s cast with moderate travel time, and fickle bounces into a 1 clone mind wrack at an awkward sweet spot range (to get the full benefit of MB) has less animations than a instant cast steal + follow up through a wall? How?

“100-0 through death shroud”? um? You mean 100-0ing the death shroud? Or literally killing through the death shroud?

Either way Mirror blade combo does hit decently hard but doesn’t 100-0 anything except… AFK Eles and Thieves with zerk ammy. DH, Thief, Power Ranger GS, Scepter ele, and a few warrior burst skills hit harder. Plus other than Scepter Ele, the rest of the above mentioned are easier to land.

If you are referring to a full shatter combo that is a simple case of dodging forward into Mindwrack, or avoiding the vuln stats before it, which requires a full train of cooldowns (some with decent cast times) to even generate the resources that die in cleave, or can be kited. Also unlike condi mes which can pop all it’s shatters for damage, there is only 2 that damage, and are only effective with illusions or might stacks+vuln. (so no CS + spam shatters + signet + spam, for quick unpressureable, pressure.) If GW2 was a fighting game, Power shatter would be Sm4sh Marth level of “Honest”.

If your problem with “less telegraph” is with stealth, the cost is 3 seconds for a 30or40 second cooldown, the former comes at the cost of a phantasm that provides little pressure, yet Mes has less telegraph than thief who has it on demand?

Power shatter struggles with all the same matchups as condi, and is countered by even more, the ONLY way power shatter gets anything done vs the innate plethora of spammy, or passive defenses is by not taking the inspiration line, which means you die or are pushed off point to a single stack of bleed, or are not taking the all important portal.

There is pleanty of counter play for power shatter which is good, but it doesn’t have nearly enough to do it’s job compared to the other options, or competition for it’s slot.

If power shatter didn’t need buffs, and was considered perfect: Then the rest of the game needs to be nerfed, or buffed where applicable to the level of honesty as power shatter. (slotting insp)

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

This is why I don’t believe mesmer has the best carry potential, again, this doesn’t mean mesmer is bad, but it’s matchups do not scale well for carry potential. You can’t struggle that bad against things like DH (mostly) and warrior when they’re everywhere. Same goes for thief, again, thieves can be quite good right now, but you’re not going to be seeing a thief pushing far, forced to engage a DH and winning.

in PvP

Posted by: francescoG.1069

francescoG.1069

We are almost a year chronophantasma shatter. Nearly a year of portal and no chanche to win a 1v1

in PvP

Posted by: charchar.2149

charchar.2149

Mesmer feels like a condi boss but when you meet condi immune classes you get rode like a one trick pony. If your team has a brain, portal Is rediculously strong in conquest. Double MOA is OP in team fights. I’d say Mesmer is a solid conquest contender with three viable flavors. This post isn’t really worth the bits imho.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Portal is core mesmer. Moa is core mesmer. Condi stacks come purely from core mesmer.

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

Portal is core mesmer. Moa is core mesmer. Condi stacks come purely from core mesmer.

Exactly, every viable “chrono utility and playstyle” actually comes from vanilla mesmer minus CS and shield, thats it.

Chrono is not a time manipulator, it’s a bandaid. “Sorry we nerfed sigil of energy so you can’t use deceptive evasion as well as you used to, here’s an elite spec that’s supposed to alter time but really just makes it so you can have enough clones and thats pretty much it.”