Does being in party raise your MMR in queue?

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

Q:

If so, how much? and if not, why? Why isn’t the system making the assumption that if a team is in a group that they should work together more successfully than if they are queued solo.

to me it would make sense to have like a 5% increase for each person in the party, up to 20% MMR increase for a full party of 5.

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

It can raise or lower it. It will put together a whole teams average MMR against the next closest teams average MMR (try to). Therefore if your MMR is say, 200 and the rest of your party is all 400; your teams MMR in Q will be 360. It will try to find another team as close to 360 as possible; but in the end place you with an available team. So, yes YOU will be fighting players with higher MMR than yours and they could be fighting players with slightly lower MMR. Other team could have someone like 100 MMR and the rest 450, or every player on the other team could be around 360 individually. It is always different and always will depend.

Just remember, in the end if there is only 1 team available, then that is what they will stick you with regardless of MMR. At that point, your chances of winning can be low and you would only need to score 200, 300 or 400 points to gain +pts (depends on odds).

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Solstice.1097

I understand that part, what i’m saying is it should take your average MMR and then increase the average based on group size, to account for the better coordination that you SHOULD have in a group.

in PvP

GhOst.4019

That would still put you with the same teams……if your group of 5 is 20% up then so will the enemies…doesn’t make a difference, so why even add it.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Solstice.1097

only if the enemy is a full pre-made. if you’re a team of 5 against a group of 5 pugs, it would raise the standards of how well you must perform in order to gain leaderboard points.

in PvP

GhOst.4019

…………………You have to win. That will give you +1, no more no less. 500 is win…..therefore raising your teams % against 5 pugs does nothing. You are making no sense. A team already has to win vs a pug and therefore score 500 points. You want their % to be raised so they have to score more points? A win is the highest performance in terms of points. Have a dev correct me if I am wrong but a pug will NEVER have a higher % chance of winning than a pre made team. That makes the pugs have to try to perform better to gain points…not the team. All the team has to do is win, and if they don’t, they lose points.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Solstice.1097

so you are saying if you win 500-499 or if you win 500-3 that your MMR changes by the exact same amount either way?

i don’t believe that is correct Mr Ghost. although i’ve seen things in this game that made even less sense.

in PvP

Solstice.1097

the main point is that the premade team would get put in queue at a higher MMR which means if they face less than a full premade team, the people that they do face are naturally higher MMR players therefore the match is closer to balanced.

in PvP

GhOst.4019

so you are saying if you win 500-499 or if you win 500-3 that your MMR changes by the exact same amount either way?

i don’t believe that is correct Mr Ghost. although i’ve seen things in this game that made even less sense.

Yes, that IS correct. If you win, your MMR goes up a set amount. Not sure what Anet finalized it at, but I believe it is +(#%) of* your current MMR per win. When you loose, your MMR goes down. This could vary in (%) depending on whether you scored 50 or 499. That is unless they decided to go with a set -(#%) for each loss as well.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

(edited by GhOst.4019)

in PvP

Posted by: Silentshoes.1805

Silentshoes.1805

Your MMR may not go down to any significant extent if you lose a game that the matcher predicts you will lose.

The Alien (condi necro),That Wreckin Crew (Mesmer)
Silentshoes (Thief), Wind of the Woods (condi ranger)

in PvP

Solstice.1097

i just think the system should give you an increased predicted chance of winning based on how many people are in your party.

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

i just think the system should give you an increased predicted chance of winning based on how many people are in your party.

That makes sense to me.

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

It can raise or lower it. It will put together a whole teams average MMR against the next closest teams average MMR (try to). Therefore if your MMR is say, 200 and the rest of your party is all 400; your teams MMR in Q will be 360. It will try to find another team as close to 360 as possible; but in the end place you with an available team. So, yes YOU will be fighting players with higher MMR than yours and they could be fighting players with slightly lower MMR. Other team could have someone like 100 MMR and the rest 450, or every player on the other team could be around 360 individually. It is always different and always will depend.

Just remember, in the end if there is only 1 team available, then that is what they will stick you with regardless of MMR. At that point, your chances of winning can be low and you would only need to score 200, 300 or 400 points to gain +pts (depends on odds).

in this example, your party should be rated at something more like 460 or 560 mmr due to the assumption that when you party up you assign roles and/or listen/talk to each other, which rarely happens in all solo, not-high-mmr teams.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Solstice.1097

yea say you have 5 people all exactly 400 MMR

if they all queue solo and get on a team together, that team’s MMR would be 400.

but if they all join a party together and then queue, their MMR should be more like 500 for that queue.

the reason is because if winning is 50% communication, then it severely limits how often someone can play competitively (in other words, can only play competitively when a full team is available and online).

with this revised system the team of 5 players with 400 MMR would be queued at 500 MMR which means if they go against a bunch of pugs, those will all be high-MMR pugs and it should be a tough match.

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

Yes, the MMR adjustment of Glicko2 only looks at your win or loss relative to the MMR of the opposing team. If you “adjusted it higher”, then your MMR would not take as much of a hit for losing.