Does it take too long to accumulate rank?

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

It’s been nearly a year since release and most people (who are active in pvp) are just now hitting rank 40-50 (out of 80). Was the grind for rank in sPvP really intended to be this harsh? I mean at this rate we wont hit 80 for another year or so.. Meanwhile everyone in PvE has been using the coolest skins since like 2-3 weeks after launch. It shouldn’t take this long to do something as basic as customize your character -at least imo.

What do you guys think?
I feel like this has been sort of the elephant in the room for awhile in PvP. Or at least one of them.

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

They made it ridonculously difficult to rank in PvP because they hoped they would attract 24/7 gamers ready to train for eSport Guild Wars 2 while being broadcasted all over the world. Their dreams of eSport is the reason high rank in sPvP is so hard to achieve.

in PvP

Posted by: Nemiros.3590

Nemiros.3590

In pvp we pay the iron price. We dont care about looking pretty, we care about the competition. I like thakittens hard to get, that means people that have the higher rank skins have either a) been winning alot of tourneys b) been grinding hotjoins, and if you got your armor through option b) then youre just making a rank 20 happy because he beat a rank 50. If youre playing this game to look pretty, go to pve and grind for months to get a unicorn shooting bow.

in PvP

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

In pvp we pay the iron price. We dont care about looking pretty, we care about the competition. I like thakittens hard to get, that means people that have the higher rank skins have either a) been winning alot of tourneys b) been grinding hotjoins, and if you got your armor through option b) then youre just making a rank 20 happy because he beat a rank 50. If youre playing this game to look pretty, go to pve and grind for months to get a unicorn shooting bow.

Wow who woulda guessed that your opinion is literally every pvper’s opinion also. There’s nothing wrong with making your character suited to your tastes and there isn’t anything wrong with a little sense of progression along the side.

in PvP

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

If you truly don’t care about progression, then why would making the unlocks so far apart matter to you? I want snap dragon, but I don’t want to play 24/7 for 10 years just to get it.

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

in PvP

Posted by: Nemiros.3590

Nemiros.3590

My character is suited to the taste of blood. jk, im just bored.
Oh, and to clarify, i dont care either way if they make it so you can have all the skins, or you leave it like it is, i just play.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

What if he hit the max rank in the first year? I’m used to high-grind titles/achiev from gw1 and I think it should be like that.

If you hit max you gonna want more anyway.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

The point is not to get the highest as soon as possible. And it is about why bind Fashion with Rank?

All is vain.

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

whole point of farming rank just with time and some dmg is wrong, they took it away from PvE and threw it to PvP… but they said the reward system will be reworked, so lets hope they will do it better second time and it will reward skilled play and wins more then 24/7 play and zergs in hot join

in PvP

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

Wow who woulda guessed that your opinion is literally every pvper’s opinion also. There’s nothing wrong with making your character suited to your tastes and there isn’t anything wrong with a little sense of progression along the side.

The point is why do you need a sense of progression to begin with. Rank is basically play time in pvp so why should anyone care? Your progression is your skill, isn’t that satisfying? Really this ties into a larger of issue of why people play things (i.e. someone farms CoF cause they want loot, not cause they like CoF) and is something pvp players want to avoid.

Its nice to have people to play with because they want to compete and have fun. I personally don’t like it when I get a room full of people who are in a spvp match just for the daily.

in PvP

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

At the same time, it can be argued that the ranks aren’t rewarding enough for the time put into them.
With so much time and effort being dedicated to attaining a higher number, and every once in awhile getting to put on a different armor skin, it isn’t a robust enough reward dynamic to keep a person entertained or satisfied with the reward system.

If rank couldn’t be grinded in hotjoins, or gained from losing, then it would mean infinitely more than it does now, as even the worst player can EVENTUALLY be a high rank.

Doing something simple, like being able to use accumulated glory+armor earned in pvp to create an armor transmutation that can be used in PvE/WvW would be a major reward for a lot of gamers, and would most likely result in a higher population of people playing PvP and being legitimately interested in it and not just farming dailys for laurels.

Guild Wars 1 had HA, which most often gets referred to from these ranks. While it is a very similar system, I think people forget at times that there was a reward chest in HA that provided rewards that could result in money, and weapons, and things usable through the rest of the ingame content, which is extremely important.

tl;dr: It isn’t that the ranks take too long, it’s that it isn’t a rewarding enough system. It is neither robust, nor do the current rewards span the scope of the rest of the games content, and that is the biggest drawback; it currently does not entice people to spend the hours required to gain rank.

Unless of course you’re content with bragging rights, but even then, that’s a system that only favors the addicted/hardcore and people with lots of spare time in their lives.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Glory is by definition about time played, and nobody cares about that, so stop caring. Focus on leaderboard.

in PvP

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

Why assume that you must hit the max rank? It is not about the destination, it is about the journey. If you will be at rank 60, you will still be higher from someone at rank 50. I am aware that I will probably never hit max rank in PvP even though I play this game quite a bit. And im fine with that. There is always something to look ahead to but unlike many other MMO-s, it is not a threadmill where you have new progress added periodically which forces you to “remax” constantly. Here you have just one long progression path. How far will you be able to reach? Finish line is not the only viable destination.

in PvP

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

Well, Hero Rank 15 in Guild Wars 2 wasn’t achieved for many years after the game came out.

I think it’s good to have something that’s highly prestigious and difficult to get. Perhaps they did go a bit too far in some regards though. I don’t know anyone who’s going to capture millions of keeps in WvW.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

in PvP

Posted by: Zoose.1640

Zoose.1640

The ranks go higher than 80 by the way, but ye. Ranks are too hard especially for meeeee! I have been playing since release and I am rank 47 lmao.

in PvP

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

same, played since headstart, over 3k matches played, hundreds of tourneys, and i’m rank 43-44, i also play pve and wvw sometimes but…. even if i did only spvp i would be maybe rank 50, at most 53……. in 8 months….. yeh maybe they overdid.

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Rank is fine. Rewards are terrible. Have people patiently work towards their rank. However customization has nothing to do with skill or ability. It is just a skin model. I have heard many players just want a glory vendor shop where skins etc can be straight purchased through glory. If your an active pvper, then chances are you have your mains..but also will dabble with many alts over the course of time. This is the benefit of a glory vendor store. You’ll always be wanting rank, but also stockpiled glory to customize your alts as you enjoy. The current RNG is frustrating. Especially when I salvage my tpvp rewards and get a string of tokens..then for days on end I just keep getting materials..and worse of all, when the reward chests keep giving me a locker item I have already received dozens of times.

The guys opinion above about paying the iron price, that is just a skin that nobody cares about..that is the starter of this post point..its just a skin, and if you don’t care about it soo much, why should it bother you what they are wearing and whether they paid your “Iron price or the gold.” You kinda proved his point dude. Players either want skins or they don’t care what people are wearing. Which is argument enough that nobody really is impressed if you got it RNG or just purchased it.

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

I wouldn’t mind them widening the array of rewards you get at the ranks, for making them so slow. I honestly haven’t any ideas atm, but something like more armor skins and weapons to start.

You can already make dyes, but why can’t you make UNID red/blue/brown dyes like you can in PvE?

This is just off the top of my head. If anyone has anything else they can add (other than lowering the rank points) by all means.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

(edited by EoNxBoNx.9213)

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

Well, Hero Rank 15 in Guild Wars 2 wasn’t achieved for many years after the game came out.

I think it’s good to have something that’s highly prestigious and difficult to get.

its not prestigious and difficult… its just time consuming, you can do it by brainless zerging in hot join and look like a best player in the world… does it make sense to you? because to me it doesnt… this have nothing to do in PvP…

in PvP

Zodian.6597

I think it’s good to have something that’s highly prestigious and difficult to get. Perhaps they did go a bit too far in some regards though. I don’t know anyone who’s going to capture millions of keeps in WvW.

But when you lock that achievement/prestigious progression to something as basic as character gear skin customization, it becomes a problem for fashion divas like myself who just want to have fun and look as cool as possible doing it. lol ;p

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

It doesn’t matter how long you need for it, if the incentive is there. But as hotjoiners can get faster rank-up than the actually skilled tournament-players, it’s nearly nonsense besides brainless grind for a better-looking gear. So no, ppl not really care bout rank.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: xehn.3420

xehn.3420

So no, ppl not really care bout rank.

Sadly, some people do care about rank.

It’s ok to have a rank that shows how long you have been playing the game, but it should not be the only visible achievement in PvP.

What about titles ?
Why is there only one tier for the champion titles ?
Why is the champion brawler title so ridiculously high (10k tournament wins) ? why no intermediate tiers ?
These would be more meaningful achievements than the hotjoin rank farming.

Ultimately, all that really matters is your leaderboard rank. This is what we should see at the end of a game in place of the spvp rank.

in PvP

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

it’s a bit a ridiculous, all i want are the cultural skins unlocked

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

it’s a bit a ridiculous, all i want are the cultural skins unlocked

Yeah, they could make it like in Battlefield 3. You can unlock all weapons and equipment fairly easy, but reaching max rank takes a lot of time and effort, but there are no unlocks, just showing how big pro (read – no life) you are. There are also achievements for new weapon unlocks every next expansion pack.

In GW2, you would need at least 3-4 years of regular grinding to get cultural skins, what is just unreal.

Signed, level 1 alt

in PvP

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

I gotta agree with Empathetic, Rank could stay as long as it is now, but there must be something really cool to get once you reach higher ranks, as for now rank is totally pointless.
If it was for me i would reset all ranks, and set them based on the tournament wins, like 500 rank points for each victory, and no more rank points gain from hotjoin, only glory; so that normal skins and crafting materials could be bought with glory, but cool stuff will still be rank related, so only those who win tournaments will deserve high rank good-looking gears.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

It’s been nearly a year since release and most people (who are active in pvp) are just now hitting rank 40-50 (out of 80). Was the grind for rank in sPvP really intended to be this harsh? I mean at this rate we wont hit 80 for another year or so.. Meanwhile everyone in PvE has been using the coolest skins since like 2-3 weeks after launch. It shouldn’t take this long to do something as basic as customize your character -at least imo.

What do you guys think?
I feel like this has been sort of the elephant in the room for awhile in PvP. Or at least one of them.

I’ve just got the first tier of Cultural gear (Rank60) a couple weeks ago. It truly does feel like It’s impossible to get all the skins.

I’ve been playing GW2 sPvP almost exclusively since launch, and playing quite regularly. My lifetime sPvP points are 1,833,490 with 7,530 games played, averaging at 243 glory per game. That’s like killing 366,698 players or decapping 183,349 points.

It’s been quite the journey, but then I look at the numbers and realize that I am 20.44% of the way to unlocking the third cultural armor tier, after I’ve gotten the first and am halfway to R61.

So my options are: Grind for 4 more years, and wear those Phoenix and Dragon rank skins like a boss, or .. jesus christ man why would I do that to myself? That 2.66 year gap between Phoenix and Dragon where you don’t see any character progression is just a little too harsh, haha.

Maybe they could be at least unique skins that you can’t grind in a few weeks of PvE?

Maybe they could copy and paste some legendary skins people are running around with in PvE?

I don’t think the rewards are appropriate for the investment, not even remotely close, to be honest. It is a bit of an elephant in the room.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Zodian.6597

What do you guys think?

I’ve just got the first tier of Cultural gear (Rank60) a couple weeks ago. It truly does feel like It’s impossible to get all the skins.

I’ve been playing GW2 sPvP almost exclusively since launch, and playing quite regularly. My lifetime sPvP points are 1,833,490 with 7,530 games played, averaging at 243 glory per game. That’s like killing 366,698 players or decapping 183,349 points.

It’s been quite the journey, but then I look at the numbers and realize that I am 20.44% of the way to unlocking the third cultural armor tier, after I’ve gotten the first and am halfway to R61.

So my options are: Grind for 4 more years, and wear those Phoenix and Dragon rank skins like a boss, or .. jesus christ man why would I do that to myself? That 2.66 year gap between Phoenix and Dragon where you don’t see any character progression is just a little too harsh, haha.

Maybe they could be at least unique skins that you can’t grind in a few weeks of PvE?

Maybe they could copy and paste some legendary skins people are running around with in PvE?

I don’t think the rewards are appropriate for the investment, not even remotely close, to be honest. It is a bit of an elephant in the room.

yeah it’s funny, some of the rank 50 gear is actually obtainable at like lvl 60 in pve -which takes like 3 days to get to via dynamic eventing.

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

They made it ridonculously difficult to rank in PvP because they hoped they would attract 24/7 gamers ready to train for eSport Guild Wars 2 while being broadcasted all over the world. Their dreams of eSport is the reason high rank in sPvP is so hard to achieve.

Being a high rank does not equate to skill in the slightest.

A good chunk of rank 60+ are hotjoin heros.

Personally, I really don’t think the issue with the system is about rank more than it is the rewards that come with them. It takes an average player MONTHS to go from 40-50 and the rewards that come with them may or may not be what they want.

Not only does it take a metric kittenload of time to get to the next rank set, the rewards are static as well giving no incentive to rank up outside of watching a purple bar move.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pvp_rank

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

(edited by Ostricheggs.3742)

in PvP

Posted by: magic fly.2041

magic fly.2041

I have insane amounts of glory, and nothing to use it on.
The only medium armor for a charr that doesn’t have some sort of skirt is the T3 cultural chest piece.
I guess I will never be able to acquire it because of the harsh leveling curve.
I’ve been stuck at rank 39 for almost a whole month because I only play pvp when I feel like it.

Just did a tiny bit of math, I am almost 10% of the way to tier 3 cultural armor.

I’m just going to get to rank 40 and forget about ranks once i get those 18 slot bags for all of my 8 alts. Nothing else to use glory on, and the time it takes for one single medium chest armor is not worth it.

Even something as simple as a chance to get an endless tonic, or a skin you can only get in pvp, but can bring back to pve, from the reward chests would be great.

in PvP

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

i’ve always thought that one should only earn glory in hot joins and rank in tourneys.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in PvP

Posted by: Walorx.5129

Walorx.5129

The amount of time it takes to acquire ranks is absolutely ludicrous. I do tpvp about 2-3 hours a day and I’m just about to hit rank 42… this is absolutely insane considering the amount of time it takes to acquire each rank. If I play actively, it shouldn’t take me a year to not even reach 25% of rank 80. As much as I’d like to farm hotjoins for hours a day for 4 years to get t3 cultural armor… I think I’d rather just stop playing if I had to do that. I know PvP is about the competition and beating other people to a pulp, but I like to enjoy what I look at when I play. Staring at the same type of armor for months isn’t very enjoyable imo. Something needs to change :\

Vöz – “Stand in the red circles, they heal you”
YOUTUBE.COM/VOZTACTICS

in PvP

Posted by: Amaterasu.6280

Amaterasu.6280

Once I hit 50, I stopped caring to level, thus I stopped playing hotjoins on the side just to grind more exp. Hotjoins are dreadful.

Unless I’m tourneying, I just sit in the mists because grinding for rank is just pointless at the moment.

Kuro – Thief – NA
Undercoverism [UC]