Down system SPVP is not good

in PvP

Posted by: Yoda.9428

Yoda.9428

To the person to decided it would be a great idea to push over the down system in SPVP is a kitten. Probably a good guy but a terrible mistake. Why? Well firstly it undermines the efforts of a player taking down the opposing player. Secondly, it throws skills slots out of balance; in most cases a player will use skill slots to take out the player. There’s more dynamics in SPVP (builds, traits, skills), then their needs to be, stop complicating and frustrating it with the added down system.

And why is there no single 1v1 plays. We want to see a single player ranking gameplay. I personally get enough zerg v zerg in WVWVW. Why is there no love for players who want to duel, instead the only variety PVP players get is zerg, zerg and zerg. It’s shifting single players skills to team orientated skills. The only option for duel is hopefully finding a server with 1 other character and even then in short before 2, 3 players join. I get that GW2 is guild and community focus, but i want a system where i can control the outcome of a fight and not have to rely on other team members.

in PvP

Posted by: Oniverse.5146

Oniverse.5146

I take downed state as the form of crowd control any day over 10-15 second sleeps, fears, polymorphs or whatevs like in other MMOs. Getting downed is actually something you can prevent whereas getting chain controlled by a few players with a voice com you can’t.

in PvP

Yoda.9428

Downed as in the second chance. Sure if you mean hiding in corners or completely avoiding fights then sure you can avoid downs state, and crowd control gives PVP that special dynamic. It is absolutely something you can prevent e.g.. stability etc… But in saying that crowd control, traits and boons really shifts a players skill to chance. For example if you build a glass cannon character, there are very few options to prevent curing conditions because you have supplemented defence traits for higher dps. Visa a Versa, so come match time you hope you have built your character that counters your opponents skills, otherwise you are going to have a difficult time. Moral of the story build a character with as much offence as defence.

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Downed doesn’t mean dead. It means you’re still alive, therefore you should be able to get up. Also downed state leaves some additional room for teamplay and tactics in already braindead game. If there wasn’t a downed state, PvP would be even worse and more cookie cutter easy boring than it is now.

in PvP

Oniverse.5146

What i meant was that GW2 has no NEED for gigantic crowd controls because of downed state. I think the longest fear in the game lasts 3,75 seconds. Much more enjoyable and skill based game play than in other mmos.

And yes, in other games there is no ‘stability’ and downed state is almost always preventable in Gw2 without “hiding in corners or completely avoiding fights”.

in PvP

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

Downed state is the games way of balancing glass cannon. If there was no downstate, i think every single person would run a glass cannon build. Part of the weakness of glass cannon is finishing off that person you downed: a sec or so of invulnerability when downed, plus an extra hp pool that forces you to expose yourself to more damage in order to finish that person.

If they removed downed state, they would have to like passively buff everyone’s HP by 50%-75%, while keeping damage flat in order to stop glass cannon builds from being the only viable option.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

in PvP

Yoda.9428

Downed state needs to go. If you are defeated by a player you are defeated by a player. Like I said it undermines the efforts it taking down that player.There is enough dynamics is selecting a character traits, weapons, armour, skill slots, runes and accessories. That where the focus of team play and tactics should be directed and not in a second chance down state. This is not a new concept this has work for every MMO/RPG, ridding the down state will not create balancing issues, its quite laughable that you wasted your time writing that. If you have not figured out how to defend against a glass canon build then you quite clearly need the down state.

in PvP

Oniverse.5146

Create a blog if you’re only interested in listing your opinions, treating them as facts and not interested in the discussion.

in PvP

Yoda.9428

Yeah I read your opinion didn’t care to much for it.

in PvP

Posted by: Archonis.7249

Archonis.7249

I myself don’t like the downed state in its current iteration. I see the point of it, mainly because of the fact that we don’t have dedicated healers in the game and like someone said. It helps to counter burst damage.

That being said, I am of the portion of the community that would like to have the excessive HP pool and/or the ability to attack removed. I look at it, you were beaten by your opponent. If you are able to use your 2-4 buttons while in downed state effectively to buy yourself enough time with them that you or a teammate gets you up. Then that is fine, but to actually contribute to damaging people after those people or person beat you. That just doesn’t seem balanced.

“Society is a madhouse, whose wardens are the police and the officials.”

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfe.3097

Wolfe.3097

i really dont get everyones distaste for downed state, all i get out of it is whiny kids who think because other games when a players health goes to 0 its over, it should be that way in this game, i havent seen any other relevant information presented as to why its bad.

as for 1v1 duels, i think dueling would be fine, but i dont think they should balance around it (nigh impossible)

in PvP

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

Downed state adds a lot of depth to pvp. If you can’t deal with it you’re simply bad at adapting, meaning you’re probably terrible at pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Downed state adds depth, teamwork and role versitality to spvp that would otherwise not be there. I shudder to think how bad pvp would be without this feature. I would say its the feature I most care about in the game. If it got removed I would quit instantly.

Edit: also this guy plays a thief which explains his opinion.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

(edited by Lordrosicky.5813)

in PvP

Posted by: Acelerion.6820

Acelerion.6820

Ive been thinking about down state recently and understand its never going away. What do people think about these ideas:

1. Make all down state skills either interrupt stomps (like they do currently) or support teammates only. No damage.

2. Include a reduction in effectiveness for a short period of time if resurrected. Something like a 33%-50% reduction in damage.

3. If downed twice in a short time frame you die.

OINK – Devona’s Rest
Mesmer-Thief
http://www.youtube.com/user/Axcelerion?feature=watch – Small group videos

in PvP

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

1. no
2. no
3. no

IMHO the only thing that needs balancing right now in downed state is the damage of the #1 abilities.

in PvP

Posted by: kakemono.9814

kakemono.9814

As i say all the time, people just want hang holding in this game and want everything to be easy and a button masher. They have an old mmorpg mind set and it needs to go.

Kakey"!

in PvP

Archonis.7249

LOL Thief is no longer OP in it’s downstate. It used to be, but not any longer.

Now our stealth is highly reduced and we can’t pan the camera around to even get more precise with our teleport. All you have to do is just keeping throwing conditions on us and we die, if you don’t have conditions. Then just attack us, it really isn’t that hard to kill us in the downed state.

in PvP

Archonis.7249

Downed state adds depth, teamwork and role versitality to spvp that would otherwise not be there. I shudder to think how bad pvp would be without this feature. I would say its the feature I most care about in the game. If it got removed I would quit instantly.

Edit: also this guy plays a thief which explains his opinion.

Nice jab there, Mr. Warrior that makes a ton of QQ posts about Thieves in the thier own forums.

PvP wouldn’t be bad without it. It would speed it up and make people rely more on thier skill instead of blindly charging in and getting burst down and then tag everything within the downstate and get their rally from it. I feel that the downedstate in it’s current form doesn’t require much tactics at all. It is too forgiving.

I myself (I play a thief as that even matters) and I think that the downed state should still be in the game, but people shouldn’t be able to attack while in it. People in the downed state are that, downed/disabled. They shouldn’t be contributing to the fight that they already lost. They should have defensive capabilities and healing for themselves. They should only be getting up if:

A. Their opponent leaves them alone or they use their defensive abilities correctly and allows them to heal up.
or
B. One of their teammates brings them up.

Not because they happened to tag someone that happened to get stomped with a damaging attack.

People say that it makes 2v1’s impossible. I don’t agree with that, but I do agree that it does create an imbalance that shouldn’t be there. Considering that the one individual killed 2 people with his skill.

in PvP

Yoda.9428

I was was reffering to the thief’s no 1 ability in down state.

in PvP

Yoda.9428

And the 2v1, giving all opponents equal and attack ability while downed then yes it is almost impossible.

in PvP

Posted by: Pride N Greed.8106

Pride N Greed.8106

I personally don’t like down state myself. I think it has no place in spvp/tpvp it seems like a imitation and i hate to bring it up of last stand of cod series. If you are dead go down than take the rez timer. I notice a lot of tpvp teams don’t even finish the down players because they know the rez timers and wait to finish or wait till they capture a point.

With that being said its one of anets “major” features so it will stay.

in PvP

Archonis.7249

I would like to see it be a clutch type thing.

Have a short cast to stomp and rez.

It would make it more interesting in the game. Instead of having to keep fighting the person you just beat.

in PvP

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

It wouldn’t be so bad if they dramatically toned it down, maybe even remove the attack part of it. It just ruins the flow of games, and some classes have a much better downed state than others, so it also ruins that aspect of it.

As for it being part of tactics, well everything that is in the game comes under that banner. Its a silly aspect of the game that serves to just make things boring.

Take for example a little skirmish I had, I was holding a point (on my ranger) and a thief and warrior come at me, both burst builds. I was able to dodge my way out of the intial attacks and was able to whittle the thief down pretty quick then the warrior, but I had blown everything in order to do so. Then once the attacks started I was downed, then I had no chance as well.

It promotes running away as you really have no chance of winning a 2v1, even if they are not very skilled and you bring your A-Game.

It should be more like a timer, your health goes down without exception and you have a small time frame to be rezzed, otherwise your out. In stead you can still push out damage.

Many times I have come accross 5 or so players all in downed state just trying to whittle each other down, and I think to myself, “yeah, this is e-sports at its best”

Even WoW looks better in that regard, and thats fricken WoW!!!