E-sports, and the next level of E-sports!!

in PvP

Posted by: Genoshock.2104

Genoshock.2104

http://www.hirezstudios.com/smite/promo/smite-world-championship

2mill prize fund already and growing!!

Another game like Dota 2 had 5mill prize fund.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/tournaments

In SMITE that is 1mill to the first place winners, that is 200k each..

Come on Guild Wars, what say ye? Give us a proper event in game so we can contribute to the prize fund and see who the real e-sports lads are.

E-sporters should be paid like real sports pros who earn 500k a week, it will happen eventually anyway give it a few years and some time to develop. Why lag behind the competition when you have a cutting edge product and deliver what this MMO promises – defining the future of role-playing games!

Shouts out to all the WTS winners.

(edited by Genoshock.2104)

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

What you need to understand is that those games are like 100x bigger if not more than GW2 spvp.

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

That could be true but we got PvErs to support the cause!! Oh a fancy new skin! How else does this game make money anyway and encourage them into the PvP arena! I go as a perfect template, eh the PvE in Gw1 is awesome, let’s try the PvP see if it is my thing? Oh herro sheet this is awesome the mechanics which I see in PvE all come together and some people are really good, Herro sheet let’s also get really good.

So PvE’rs don’t get mad or anything, there is some sort of rift in these sort of game between the two factions, we don’t need to have the most money, let’s just try it and see how much we can raise.

It would encourage way more people to start playing! HOLY SMOKES GW2 has 5mill prize pool, let’s buy that game! Raise the competition. The top 200 players play all their free time as it is judging by leaderboards; China, EU, NA. 300 games as of now is very very manly, why not reward these players in the best way you can.

(edited by Genoshock.2104)

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

That would be nice. The problem is prize pools come from NCSoft or Anet’s revenues. They should have done this kind of stuff at the beginning of the game when their revenues were better.

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

Let’s break it down and do an analysis.

WTS money, where does that come from. Probably from NCSoft or Anet’s revenues.
A crowd funded tourney where they maybe take a 10% cut to host the thing and maybe more to be in line with their business model, this is perfectly acceptable.

Now to encourage a crowd-funded tournament let’s analyse the type of people that buy stuff in the gem-store.

I’d break them down into 3 categories.

1. I use my mum’s credit card to buy all the fancy armor and weapons.
2. I earn money in my job which means it’s faster for me to buy junk in the gemstore than save up in game for it.
3. PvP players who win them as awards.

So, why not add a fourth end-user who currently isn’t even their target market because some believe not to spend money in the video-game and crowd fund the thing!

in PvP

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

The thing is instead of wasting time competing GW2 with other MOBA games. Anet could have just make another MOBA games.

Think of it this way. Most MOBA constantly release new hero. That is not happening in GW2 since if Anet release new class that have to work in pve too.

In fact in recent news another game studio which famous for their mmorpg start releasing announcement on their new MOBA.

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

MOBA or no MOBA we need to get paid!

We don’t need to be the highest up there on the list, but GW has a good model to crowd-fund the thing. In my opinion alot of the MOBAs are missing key elements that GW excels in.

What is the theory in MOBA, you play one class and you get really good at it? Or are top players good in more than one class?

This is like Microsoft and why Bill Gates doesn’t sleep at night, you make one slip-up and you’re gone just like all his competition.

in PvP

Posted by: Zypher.9536

Zypher.9536

I’d like to point out that there is a potential for profit with a big prize pool. Let’s say (hypothetically speaking) they organize a big GW2 tournament with a 2 million $ prizepool and another 500.000$ in additional expenses (like advertising), so costing them 2.5m$ total. With some good advertising a tournament with a 2m$ prizepool is definitely going to get a lot of attention in the gaming world. GW2 currently costs 50$ I think. So if the popularity gained from that big prizepool leads to 50.000 copies of GW2 sold after the tournament (in addition to the amount of copies they would normally sell) they will make a profit. 50.000 really isn’t impossible to reach. Take for example another popular MMORPG with a PvP scene that everyone knows: WoW. I don’t know the exact numbers but they have millions of active players. a 2m$ tournament is bound to persuade at least 50.000 of them to buy GW2 and try it out. So essentially what I’m saying is that a tournament with a big prizepool can be a great investment for Anet

(edited by Zypher.9536)

in PvP

Posted by: oDe Da Beast.7596

oDe Da Beast.7596

Lets go smite!

<:

in PvP

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Baby steps guys/gals. I think the combat is exciting but ANET still need to do a few things imo before going H.A.M with the prize money.

1.) Fix the streams. WTS was great because of the finals (Which is a great thing because that is what you want to be the highlight) but the shout casters from EU saved the live stream for NA/EU viewers. And streams having issue is becoming a bit too common even though the go4 have been nice so maybe this part is slowing fixing itself with time.

2.) Direct peoples attention. A lot of the time unless you know what your looking at a new player can be confused at what he/she should be looking at in a skirmish or duel. Personally I think the fix for this is two things one the shout casters. The shout casters should direct people’s attention to exciting situations or describe the ideal scenario when someone rotating etc.. (I think this part is coming along so gj shout casters!) the second thing is emphasizing clutch knockdowns/fears etc… and I think this can be done through the point system. I don’t know if its possible with the systems being used for the game but I think a player should get for example an extra 5 points if he fears an enemy who is X distance away from him while he is capping/decapping a point. This way people know what to look for if they are new to GW2 and can better understand clutch plays. The point system they have now is good but can be better. This also applies to boons on allies/boon strips etc..

Edit- When I say points I don’t mean points for winning the game but personal points in the roster screen

just a few thought on the topic of E-Sport GW2

Necromancer Main

(edited by Zoso.8279)

in PvP

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

I’d like to point out that there is a potential for profit with a big prize pool. Let’s say (hypothetically speaking) they organize a big GW2 tournament with a 2 million $ prizepool and another 500.000$ in additional expenses (like advertising), so costing them 2.5m$ total. With some good advertising a tournament with a 2m$ prizepool is definitely going to get a lot of attention in the gaming world. GW2 currently costs 50$ I think. So if the popularity gained from that big prizepool leads to 50.000 copies of GW2 sold after the tournament (in addition to the amount of copies they would normally sell) they will make a profit. 50.000 really isn’t impossible to reach. Take for example another popular MMORPG with a PvP scene that everyone knows: WoW. I don’t know the exact numbers but they have millions of active players. a 2m$ tournament is bound to persuade at least 50.000 of them to buy GW2 and try it out. So essentially what I’m saying is that a tournament with a big prizepool can be a great investment for Anet

The problem is this game is boring as kitten to watch and incredibly hard to follow if you dont know what to look for. Plus the pvp is hard to get into for new players, which makes it harder for people who do buy it to tell their friends to do the same. 500k in advertising (pretty sure itd be a lot more than that too) might bring in a few new players, but I doubt it would be anywhere near 50k.

Then again, the friends I know who play smite have the attention span of my cat, so the fact that we dont have massive tournaments designed to appeal to that kind of person won’t make me lose any sleep.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

in PvP

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

IDK about boring to watch; an epic knockdown or treb hit or even a stun to instant melt from certain classes cough cough hint hint is entertaining but I will agree 100% to follow or learn the combat is definitely not an easy thing to do and takes actual practice and studying your class which in a game like LoL or Smite is a lot easier to do. I don’t mean to offend fans of those games I myself really enjoy LoL (Kassadin FTW) but you have to admit the learning curve for GW2 is a lot higher then LoL or Smite when you take into consideration perfect synergy to a build learning timing of dodges and tells of skills.

Necromancer Main

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

IDK about boring to watch; an epic knockdown or treb hit or even a stun to instant melt from certain classes cough cough hint hint is entertaining but I will agree 100% to follow or learn the combat is definitely not an easy thing to do and takes actual practice and studying your class which in a game like LoL or Smite is a lot easier to do. I don’t mean to offend fans of those games I myself really enjoy LoL (Kassadin FTW) but you have to admit the learning curve for GW2 is a lot higher then LoL or Smite when you take into consideration perfect synergy to a build learning timing of dodges and tells of skills.

Commentators who control the stream would be good. They can decide what you see.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Gw2 just entered eSports and you expect $10 000 000 winner prizes.
For real?

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

in PvP

Posted by: Kitt.2567

Kitt.2567

Honestly, isn’t this game just a mmorpg pretending to look like popular esport? Only Blizzard has showed success in esport market as commercial game but Anet hasnt even released gw2 as f2p yet. Even games, that so many players play, such as Lol and Dota, are f2p game. There is no point of discussing this prior to anet’s f2p declaration. Currently, 14224 people is watching the top streamer of LoL, meanwhile, 106 people is watching the top stream of gw2 in twitch. It is like 140 times of 106. This simply means there are 140 more groups in which only each group has population of whole number of gw2 NA, EU, China players . BTW, How could you even say a word, esport, to gw2 which is at only that level anyway. are you looking down on the world of esport? i think gw2 is not even at a level to be called esport. First, f2p first then we may discuss about its real esportmanships.

F2p plz Anet

Visit “http://www.twitch.tv/the_korean_gamer/profile” for best warrior builds!

(edited by Kitt.2567)

in PvP

Tao.5096

@Kitt

You do realise that Gw2 is like an almost only MMORPG game of it’s kind to be in eSports?
Why are you comparing Gw2 to LoL/Dota/SC2?
Those are MOBA games and SC2 is RTS.

Look at eSport list.
It’s filled with MOBAs, FPS, RTSes.

(edited by Tao.5096)

in PvP

Posted by: dzindzinier.6138

dzindzinier.6138

i stoped playing gw2 ,i play 2 games a week maybe ,and i started playing hots(closed beta coming soon) , and i finally understand why gw2 will never be e sport -it is too complicated , the camera view is to small ,in big team fights u see nothing , there are minions ,turrets ,pets, clones…….. basically if u are not half nolife ,u will not get this games pvp. and in hots for example after less than 100 games u can allready compete with a lot of people,the rules are simple ,and very important thing to get a lot of players : u got only few buttons if u want to compete (maybe at low level , but even if u loose u dont loose 500 – 0 , and u can always tell why u lost even if u are not experienced ) in gw2 player with less than 5k games can get killed and he has no idea how he died and what killed him XD that is kinda weird in this game XD it is like elite game
to become esport u need miracle or tons of casual players that can watch top players at stream and understand what they are doing , and they can easly learn from better players couse they can compare with them ….
in gw2 there is so much knowledge that u dont have enough time to explain everything ,the animations and colors skould be changed too , couse tournaments are imposible to watch , basically 70 % at least of this game should be changed to become esport so dont count on it .

i heard that someone told them before release that this game will never become esport XD so they probably knew and all of those 2 years is just promises,promises and go on untill players will get that it is esport mirage XD

in PvP

Tao.5096

and i finally understand why gw2 will never be e sport -it is too complicated , the camera view is to small ,in big team fights u see nothing , there are minions ,turrets ,pets, clones……..

I see.
So, in SC2 matches, where tens of units clash with each other, spawning loads of effects, all you see is HP bars of those units decreasing rapidly.
Same with LoL and other MOBA/RTS games.
So we compare couple of turrets, 2 pets and 3 clones to be something above it?
lol’d

in gw2 player with less than 5k games can get killed and he has no idea how he died and what killed him XD that is kinda weird in this game XD it is like elite game

That’s in every single game.
Funniest is CS where people get headshots only.
Most boring eSport I’ve ever seen.

to become esport u need miracle or tons of casual players that can watch top players at stream and understand what they are doing , and they can easly learn from better players couse they can compare with them ….

How many official Global Tournaments GW2 had?
As I don’t care about eSport hype, I still wouldn’t grade Gw2 after few tourneys.

in gw2 there is so much knowledge that u dont have enough time to explain everything ,the animations and colors skould be changed too , couse tournaments are imposible to watch .

I’m surprised how you can watch MOBA and RTS tournaments where even hundreds of units clash and all you see are HP bars go down.
So much for animations and colors.

i heard that someone told them before release that this game will never become esport XD so they probably knew and all of those 2 years is just promises,promises and go on untill players will get that it is esport mirage XD

I personally don’t care if Gw2 will be World Ranked eSport game.
I’ll support Anet for making even closed Tournaments.

i stoped playing gw2

That’s great.

in PvP

Posted by: dzindzinier.6138

dzindzinier.6138

anet people from making money love players with ur attitude XD

someone (not anet) should start this idea of game from begining and make pvp only game , with many corrections this game would win with other games easly , but for GW2 it is too late ,and anet just have no clue how to make a good pvp system …………btw those chests in a chests that were in another chest with 90% of junk ,and wvw stuff for pvpers is just XD where do u get those ideas from ?

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Let them make a LAN client first.

That way there’ll be no /cringe for the viewers.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Kitt.2567

Kitt.2567

Honestly, isn’t this game just a mmorpg pretending to look like popular esport? Only Blizzard has showed success in esport market as commercial game but Anet hasnt even released gw2 as f2p yet. Even games, that so many players play, such as Lol and Dota, are f2p game. There is no point of discussing this prior to anet’s f2p declaration. Currently, 14224 people is watching the top streamer of LoL, meanwhile, 106 people is watching the top stream of gw2 in twitch. It is like 140 times of 106. This simply means there are 140 more groups in which only each group has population of whole number of gw2 NA, EU, China players . BTW, How could you even say a word, esport, to gw2 which is at only that level anyway. are you looking down on the world of esport? i think gw2 is not even at a level to be called esport. First, f2p first then we may discuss about its real esportmanships.
F2p plz Anet

@Kitt

You do realise that Gw2 is like an almost only MMORPG game of it’s kind to be in eSports?
Why are you comparing Gw2 to LoL/Dota/SC2?
Those are MOBA games and SC2 is RTS.

Look at eSport list.
It’s filled with MOBAs, FPS, RTSes.

I am not comparing by genre or type of the game. Esport could be any type of game but there is one certain rule that never changes and samely applies on any esport game, that is the amount of its playing users. Based on the user playing, its market size becomes completely different. If online game has no user, it is dead game. GW2 is at kind of very lower level that isnt even enought to be called as esport game. it has only total user which is 1/106 of total lol users. With this size of user amount, it is really meaningless to even call esport game to this gw2. That is why they have to release F2P.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/games
There is not even guildwars 2 on official esport game list.

That is why discussing about the future of Guildwars 2 or esport or what to update to become popular esport game or whatever, are all meaningless right now.

First thing that is really really in need is becoming F2P game. This will open “real gate” that allow Guildwars 2 to make a first step into The world of the esport. By now, it is just a mmorpg pretending to look like popular esport game.

Arenanet isn’t Blizzard entertainment. That is why F2P is in need.
Anet F2P plzzzzzzzzzzz for sake of esporttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Visit “http://www.twitch.tv/the_korean_gamer/profile” for best warrior builds!

(edited by Kitt.2567)