ELO hell climb was a complete joke LUL

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

You need to be pro league player and carry 1v5 matches to climb in the current system? Ok, got it.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

This thread is a lively discussion. That’s cool. But please try to keep the antagonism dialed back. Maybe save it for the field of combat?

Are you suggesting gw2 players need to up their trash talk game?

Nah, we’re good on that. I’d go Goldilocks on this and say the level is “juuust right.”

Even Gaile is at the mercy of Helseth’s salt-mine if he were to get his post deleted, considering he probably has a majority of the PvP viewers left in the game lol.

Nah, I’m not at anyone’s mercy, nor feeling any sort of intimidation because of an Electric Light Orchestra rating. ~snicker~

I respect any player’s right to express an opinion, and this one seems to have inspired a good conversation and several interesting points. Someone being controversial isn’t a problem and I’m not seeing anything that needs to be “managed” as far as the tone or the content. Are you?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

SNIP~
3) i don’t think the problem is about getting good. but looking at it from a “normal” perspective maybe ESL players can do this but not the 99% of the other population.

for these 99% the so called elo hell will always exist. because if the average plat player queues with his friend SNIP~

What are you defining as normal? The average seems to be gold2, the median is most likely somewhere in low silver. Anything above that is, above average, including all of platinum and legendary. Therefor, “Average plat player” is inherently an untrue statement. If you are not consistently playing above average, then you do not deserve to climb the ladder, plain and simple.

SNIPP’D

This post is chock full of opinion stated as fact. Try using ACTUAL facts, and proof, like OP.

He started on a noob account which is almost like cheating. SNIPP’D. Then I’ll give you credit. This system adjusts to what your doing quickly in terms of wins and loss streaks you have to get the system to really accept you as a bronze level player and to do that you’ll have to get to the bottom and lose a lot there. Not get there and then win 10 straight.

Without a word from anet, I am inclined to believe new accounts are not favored in MM. I noticed no difference between my alts and main. OP has already proven that with the necessary skill, you can climb out of ANY rating, as he literally just scaled nearly the entire ladder. Adding superfluous, extraneous, unnecessary, limitations provides nothing.

let’s put messi and ronaldo into lower tiers while they can decide champions league by themselves…
i never got the point in the first place

It doesn’t matter what the individual’s name is, the better the individual is, the higher they will be rated.

Must be difficult carrying games as a block/invul/evade/condi spam mesmer. /s

It wouldn’t matter what class OP plays, Sind would do the exact same on thief. Using excuses like profession and build is a scrub mentality. Every one is free to use the exact same professions/builds.

There’s been almost no mention of ELO hell on the forums this season. Except by Helseth and his twitch fantasy show of course.

Uhhhh from like the second day on, there’s been a continual stream of people screaming about unfair the system is and that they cannot budge from bonze because of every one around them, which has been proven to be false.

Still dunno why he went condi mes.
“Pro player picks best possible build to carry with and does well.”
Almost click-bait tbh.

So what’s stopping every one from jumping on the bandwagon for such free wins based solely on profession? Ohhhhh right, cuz that has truly no basis in reality.

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

This thread is a lively discussion. That’s cool. But please try to keep the antagonism dialed back. Maybe save it for the field of combat?

Are you suggesting gw2 players need to up their trash talk game?

Nah, we’re good on that. I’d go Goldilocks on this and say the level is “juuust right.”

Ive had posts infracted just for saying ‘scrub’. Not even directly calling someone out. How is this post allowed to stay?

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

So what’s stopping every one from jumping on the bandwagon for such free wins based solely on profession? Ohhhhh right, cuz that has truly no basis in reality.

So… then you’re invalidating the fact Helseth is then any spectacularly good player by saying the wins he got were all free? Frankly your point here is based solely on what I said; if the state of PvP was any good and “Elo hell” a myth made up by bad players, he would have at least gotten out of it by playing non-optimally if he’s so good. In essence, the effort means nothing. Further, I also expressed why his climb would be easier if he waited a few days/weeks in another post I made several days ago due to the nature of Elo filtering. He waited, and confirmed everything I said. On the subject, I’ve yet to be proven wrong so far.

Which is why I don’t understand why he didn’t go power; it’s what he prefers to play, it’s what he is mechically better at, and it’d disprove everything opponents say relatively cut-and-dry.

Yet he didn’t, and the fact of the matter is we’ll never truly know why.

What’s stopping me from doing it? Well, I’d rather not play the game than be on the bandwagon, personally, and frankly, I’m also not as good as Helseth (what that means for rating is beyond me). I don’t see the experience as rewarding. When I want to be rewarded for playing well and playing smart within the confines of a match, I go play League. When I want to kitten around, I go to sPvP here since most matches are decided before they begin.

Forum PvP is way more fun than the current nonsense, anyways. Requires much more thought; responses don’t passively type themselves

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in PvP

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Ive had posts infracted just for saying ‘scrub’. Not even directly calling someone out. How is this post allowed to stay?

You called out a specific group of players on a named server with that “scrub” comment. It was removed, appropriately, because why be nasty and what value does such a comment have? You were merely warned, not given any points or penalty. I’m sorry if that bothered you, but consider how you post in the future and it won’t happen again.

As for this thread: If something is truly across the line, flag it for moderator review. Don’t do that because you don’t like the OP, don’t like someone in the thread, or don’t agree with the opinions expressed. But if you feel something breaches the Forum Code of Conduct — as your scrub comment did — then let the moderators know.

Edit to add: If the comment immediately above mine remains as it’s written, it will be moderated. You cannot name-call and insult — that’s just wrong.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

So… then you’re invalidating the fact Helseth is then any spectacularly good player by saying the wins he got were all free? Frankly your point here is based solely on what I said; if the state of PvP was any good and “Elo hell” a myth made up by bad players, he would have at least gotten out of it by playing non-optimally if he’s so good.

Which is why I don’t understand why he didn’t go power; it’s what he prefers to play, it’s what he is mechically better at, and it’d disprove everything relatively cut-and-dry.

What’s stopping me from doing it? Well, I’d rather not play the game than be on the bandwagon, personally, and frankly, I’m also not as good as Helseth (what that means for rating is beyond me). I don’t see the experience as rewarding. When I want to be rewarded for playing well and playing smart within the confines of a match, I go play League. When I want to kitten around, I go to sPvP here since most matches are decided before they begin with.

Forum PvP is way more fun than the current nonsense, anyways.

Completely incorrect. You are just making excuses to yourself as to why you cannot replicate his climb. You wanna know why he’s able to climb so easily? NEWS FLASH, because he is better than ALL of the players in those divisions, that is how a LADDER works. So not only does he have to prove to you that you can climb out of bronze, but he has to do it while handicapping himself? Seems like you are grasping. Maybe if he blindfolded himself and was only allowed to use his feet, then you could accept fact.

So you are a casual player playing casually? Then how can you possibly have any complaints about ranked? That just does not make ANY sense.

Let me try to make it even MORE clear for you, because you don’t seem to understand how a ladder works. If you are not better than every person in bronze division, you will be in bronze, the same goes for every division.

(edited by Vicariuz.1605)

in PvP

DeceiverX.8361

Not incorrect. You’re making assumptions about how I play is the problem, and again, are assuming rankings are a proper representation of the player’s abilities.

Realistically, it’s simply that I choose not to play a profession that is capable of carrying matches like the condi mesmer can. Power’s a step down but understandable for him of all people to play. It’s a handicap to prove everything is okay, without denying him the ability to carry a given game well enough to advance steadily.

As far as me, I’d love to see your thoughts on how solo necros can decide games on their own. Really, I’d love to. Please go make the thread in the necromancer section for the whole necro community to see, too, as maybe you can prove everyone wrong about the necromancer.

Basically, you’re indirectly confirming that most of the progression is related to profession/build choice which for 90% of all PvP matchups is out of the player’s control; a la randomness for who’s online for matchmaking to also potentially randomly-pick between, since 9/10 players in every PvP game are added without you being considered aside from rank and rank alone.

A given Necromancer shouldn’t be carrying, that is, unless its opponents are strictly terrible enough to allow it to happen, in which case, why are they all in the tier they’re in? It’s a direct contradiction to the point you’re trying to make.

I want to make it clear that I don’t think of much regarding “Elo hell”, but am only stating that Helseth’s climb proves nothing in either direction.

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

Not incorrect. You’re making assumptions about how I play is the problem, and again, are assuming rankings are a proper representation of the player’s abilities.

Realistically, it’s simply that I choose not to play a profession that is capable of carrying matches like the condi mesmer can. Power’s a step down but understandable for him of all people to play. It’s a handicap to prove everything is okay, without denying him the ability to carry a given game well enough to advance steadily.

As far as me, I’d love to see your thoughts on how solo necros can decide games on their own. Really, I’d love to. Please go make the thread in the necromancer section for the whole necro community to see, too, as maybe you can prove everyone wrong about the necromancer.

Basically, you’re indirectly confirming that most of the progression is related to profession/build choice which for 90% of all PvP games is out of the player’s control; a la randomness for who’s online for matchmaking to also potentially randomly-pick between.

That is, unless your opponents are strictly terrible, in which case, why are they all in the tier they’re in? It’s a direct contradiction to the point you’re trying to make.

I’m not assuming anything about you other than your ability to understand the system. Realistically, you are self imposing handicaps and complaining about the outcomes. I’m still trying to really understand how Helseth playing with ridiculous handicaps helps your argument, in-fact I think it’d support mine, because he would STILL climb the ladder. I don’t know what you mean by “prove everything is ok.” Care to elaborate?

If you are suggesting that an above average player can only advance in rating by playing “easy carry classes,” I mean it just wouldn’t matter how much literature I quote to you, you are just never going to accept that you are objectively wrong. As for Necros? Nos is rank what in NA? Why not watch his vods to learn the answers to your questions? Better yet, stop straw manning your failing argument and just let it fail.

Progression is ABSOLUTELY tied to build, if you are using a garbage build, expect garbage results. You can add any person you see to check if they are in a game or not, and make an educated guess on if they are queuing. It’s very easy to snipe queues with this population, just watch ANY top stream.

As painful as it may be, you’re just going to have to accept reality at some point.

in PvP

Posted by: Sazdek.6830

Sazdek.6830

Helseth’s climb proved that by playing a good class with a good build and being generally better than the people in your ranking, you will climb. That’s all that it was meant to prove and it did. You can’t toss in the argument that “Well he didn’t play x subpar class so his climb is meaningless” because it just doesn’t apply to real life. You don’t play something not designed to do what you’re aiming for and then wonder why the hell your goal isn’t being reached. It’s like setting a goal of spending less on gas for a month while driving a Hummer.

Tarnished Coast
Skaukatt – Engi
Cräsher – Warrior

in PvP

DeceiverX.8361

Basically, you’re indirectly confirming that most of the progression is related to profession/build choice which for 90% of all PvP games is out of the player’s control; a la randomness for who’s online for matchmaking to also potentially randomly-pick between.

That is, unless your opponents are strictly terrible, in which case, why are they all in the tier they’re in? It’s a direct contradiction to the point you’re trying to make.

I’m not assuming anything about you other than your ability to understand the system. Realistically, you are self imposing handicaps and complaining about the outcomes. I’m still trying to really understand how Helseth playing with ridiculous handicaps helps your argument, in-fact I think it’d support mine, because he would STILL climb the ladder. I don’t know what you mean by “prove everything is ok.” Care to elaborate?

If you are suggesting that an above average player can only advance in rating by playing “easy carry classes,” I mean it just wouldn’t matter how much literature I quote to you, you are just never going to accept that you are objectively wrong. As for Necros? Nos is rank what in NA? Why not watch his vods to learn the answers to your questions? Better yet, stop straw manning your failing argument and just let it fail.

Progression is ABSOLUTELY tied to build, if you are using a garbage build, expect garbage results. You can add any person you see to check if they are in a game or not, and make an educated guess on if they are queuing. It’s very easy to snipe queues with this population, just watch ANY top stream.

As painful as it may be, you’re just going to have to accept reality at some point.

You said it yourself in your post here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Returning-player-3/first#post6439930

that power chronomancer is fine when played by good players. Why is this a “ridiculous handicap” for the best mesmer player in the game? He still would have likely climbed and that’s the point: I don’t think you understand that my entire posting presence in this thread is about the mere fact that what Helseth did here shows nothing. I’m not trying to convince anyone “Elo hell” is real. In fact, if you look at the post I referenced, I actually said the exact opposite!

The thing is that again, like this thread and every point you’ve made, the evidence is circumstantial or irrelevant at best. Nos didn’t have to play through what people are claiming “Elo hell” to be (somewhere based on trend to be in the lines of high bronze to early-mid silver) because he started at a rank much higher. Simply stating that the necromancer can carry as a profession because there’s a high-ranked necromancer is asinine.

And if the power mesmer build is so kitten to be a “ridiculous handicap,” why even go to claim progression is tied to build? You’re not making sense. What reality do I need to grasp onto? I never claimed in this thread (or the one I referenced) that I deserve to be much higher up than I am. All I’ve done so far is criticized testing methodology, and yet you’re here defiantly claiming that I’m wrong because… I’m not carrying myself because I’m playing a profession often associated with the lack of capacity to carry games. I could be top 10 and you’d have no idea because I for one am not complaining about my rank placement – and it still wouldn’t mean anything about carrying games – but instead I am here to claim the whole notion of this thread is pointless.

Carry on. You’re clearly very happy just telling people they’re bad and deserve to be low-ranked.

in PvP

Posted by: CrashTheGrey.1492

CrashTheGrey.1492

This thread is Hilarious.

I think Helseth went with the build he did as it stands a better chance in 1vX situations. Why pick a build that’s largely reliant on having a competent team in a ladder climb experiment? (Like power shatter, a +1 Build) Tools for the task, everyone has access to the same builds.

I think the ladder system needs some minor tweaking; An ESL Pro player climbing is of course going to happen when they have the ability to 1vX successfully, consistently. I think the system is doing its Job, albeit a little slowly in sorting people (in drawing rough comparisons to other games). A platinum skilled player in silver will have a much slower go for example. And honestly, looking at that number of games…. That’s quite a few to figure out where to put a top tier player, and he’s only in platinum.

So I’d say the skill level gap to solo-carry games in GW2 is quite high. And the system doesn’t exactly complement that proportionately. Maybe one way of drawing that comparison to other ladder games is something like League of Legends, where for such a large extent of the game, 2 lanes are a 1v1 scenario (excluding occasional ganks which are avoided with map awareness). This allows the “snowball” and the complete stomp in a 1v1 escalates more into a win condition.

This game, with poorly rotating team mates on top of mechanical skill disparity, is really brutal to carry at times. This being attributed to the simple concept of needing to fight on point. An individuals mistakes are more tangible to the entire outcome. Maybe more weight can be put on individual performance applied to rating bumps? Maybe not? Probably pretty hard.

TLDR; Git Gud. And know it’s a time sink to climb currently.

in PvP

DeceiverX.8361

Helseth’s climb proved that by playing a good class with a good build and being generally better than the people in your ranking, you will climb. That’s all that it was meant to prove and it did. You can’t toss in the argument that “Well he didn’t play x subpar class so his climb is meaningless” because it just doesn’t apply to real life. You don’t play something not designed to do what you’re aiming for and then wonder why the hell your goal isn’t being reached. It’s like setting a goal of spending less on gas for a month while driving a Hummer.

Except it doesn’t. The whole point was to prove you could carry yourself to the rank you deserve, and the testing methodology used the method widely seen as already the most-effective way to do so. His choice of what to play allowed him as an individual to have a higher impact on a game than most other professions, which with such a drastic difference in skill, means a lot.

@Crash, that’s largely literally what I said in the other thread lol. People are just for whatever reason upset that I criticized the testing methodology used here, which like you said, featured great 1vX to let him impact the game more at his appropriate skill level. If he played and climbed using a build which doesn’t 1vX well/depends on team, then the entire myth of Elo hell would be busted since that’s literally what the argument is based on. Condi mes simply doesn’t address this, which is all I said to begin with.

I’m not fond of the existing rating/contribution system only because I think it favors some roles much more so than others. A thief playing perfectly for example will have an objective bias towards lower contribution in most cases if rotation is intense and constant decaps are required.

Some kind of exponential scaling of MMR gain/loss based on matchup scores would probably be best. If you consistently win games 500-10 with your losses consistently being 470-500, it’s pretty indicative you’re doing a kitten ed good job and don’t deserve to be where you are; much like how if you’re constantly in blowout wins/losses, it means you’re either up too high or are just right.

in PvP

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I didn’t read the entire thread, but I agree with OP’s original point.

I also thought i was a phenomenal player and could easily work my way to platinum. That didn’t happen though. I’m stuck in gold. Stuck because of my own ability and my own level of skill.

And I have seen lots of threads made of people commenting and feel they don’t belong in the division they are in. Fact is, if you didn’t belong there, you wouldn’t be there. That’s all there is to it.

Now I will be working on my own skills.
Everyone wanting to move up in tier should do the same, instead of hating the system, and placing the blame on their teammates.

Remember, worry about your own contribution to the team. Don’t worry about anyone else’s. Some teams may have some weak links, but the people on the other team also deal with that. It’s an issue for everyone. So it’s not a factor that you can blame a low mmr on.

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

DeceiverX’s position is that a player who belongs in Silver doesn’t possess enough skill to get from Bronze into Silver while SoloQing, despite possessing the same skill level as the average Silver player. Feel free to substitute Gold for Silver and Silver for Bronze, it works any which way.
And skill aside, your build affects your overall performance; power mes is undertuned in the current meta compared to condi mes, and so DeceiverX is saying that since the skill gap is massive (therefore boosting Helseth’s overall effect on his team’s score) a way of limiting Helseth’s disproportionate superiority to those in Bronze/Silver would be to play an inferior build. I don’t think that it would be enjoyable for Helseth to do that and I’m not making any challenges or demands myself, but it would make him slightly more comparable to an average player trying to climb out of a division where they “don’t belong.”

Helseth seems to be under the impression that his experience mirrors that of other players who belong in higher divisions; many people disagree, and this is why. Were he to limit his performance level to that of a Gold player, either by playing more poorly or playing a worse build, this “Helseth vs ELO hell journey” series would’ve more accurately portrayed a Gold-level player’s experience getting from Bronze to Platinum. But he didn’t. He played at a Legendary level on the highest-rated meta build (which he probably created and tested many times himself), and as a result did in fact climb quickly. Good for him, still isn’t really relevant to average players stuck in below-average divisions.

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

You said it yourself in your post here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Returning-player-3/first#post6439930

that power chronomancer is fine when played by good players. Why is this a “ridiculous handicap” for the best mesmer player in the game? He still would have likely climbed and that’s the point: I don’t think you understand that my entire posting presence in this thread is about the mere fact that what Helseth did here shows nothing. I’m not trying to convince anyone “Elo hell” is real. In fact, if you look at the post I referenced, I actually said the exact opposite!

The thing is that again, like this thread and every point you’ve made, the evidence is circumstantial or irrelevant at best. Nos didn’t have to play through what people are claiming “Elo hell” to be (somewhere based on trend to be in the lines of high bronze to early-mid silver) because he started at a rank much higher. Simply stating that the necromancer can carry as a profession because there’s a high-ranked necromancer is asinine.

And if the power mesmer build is so kitten to be a “ridiculous handicap,” why even go to claim progression is tied to build? You’re not making sense. What reality do I need to grasp onto? I never claimed in this thread (or the one I referenced) that I deserve to be much higher up than I am. All I’ve done so far is criticized testing methodology, and yet you’re here defiantly claiming that I’m wrong because… I’m not carrying myself because I’m playing a profession often associated with the lack of capacity to carry games. I could be top 10 and you’d have no idea because I for one am not complaining about my rank placement – and it still wouldn’t mean anything about carrying games – but instead I am here to claim the whole notion of this thread is pointless.

Carry on. You’re clearly very happy just telling people they’re bad and deserve to be low-ranked.

You took my comment out of context AND misunderstood it’s meaning, what a feat! I was referring to the former r1 Zeromis, a power shatter mesmer. The OP of that thread was asking what classes/builds he could duo with. A power shatter (+1’er) is a great fit for a duo, if you have the skill required to play it; OP had stated that he was already familiar with that build and enjoyed it. Infact, in that post, I even cite condi chrono as a great build choice for OP. Maybe you are talking about my post saying power is viable? Viable and Meta, are completely, different, Power Shatter is a VIABLE build, because it has a role and can fulfill it. Here I’ll even quote MYSELF for you.

Good news! You can play power chrono as well as condi chrono! Thief / Rev can certainly do some work on the field. I would suggest keeping a DH ready for switch in even if u dont like playing one, they are very strong atm.

Ty for the reply:)
So powershatter is viable in high elo ? Or more for fun?

Viable, if you’re good, if you aren’t expect to die quite a lot. Zeromis was r1 with shatter mes for a little while. As for which is more fun, that is subjective and for you to decide. I personally like both condi chrono and and power shatter equally, because I like the class as a whole.

ANY self imposed handicaps are RIDICULOUS, it doesn’t matter if it’s build, turning your monitor off, or anything your imagination can come up with, handicaps do not serve a purpose. You keep saying he isn’t proving anything, and that may actually be true, since you seem INCAPABLE of accepting cold hard truth; but I would hope that the majority of the people who read this thread can determine that your view, and people’s like you, are actually clutter.

So you are suggesting that Nos got carried to his rank because he is a Necro player. Are you actually trying to suggest that you cannot win a soloq match as a necro? I have done it, I’ve seen others do it, I have had my fill of fiction based novels on this forum.

So you’re trolling? You aren’t providing ANY substance and derailing the thread to be about what you perceive as worthwhile play? I mean if you were a top10 player, you’d be in the top 10. The reality that you should DESPERATELY start to try to cling to is, and is proven by Helseth (and other people in this thread) that Elo hell is truly a myth, and more specifically for you, purposefully handicapping himself does not suddenly make his claim more valid.

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

DeceiverX’s position is that a player who belongs in Silver doesn’t possess enough skill to get from Bronze into Silver while SoloQing, despite possessing the same skill level as the average Silver player. Feel free to substitute Gold for Silver and Silver for Bronze, it works any which way.
And skill aside, your build affects your overall performance; power mes is undertuned in the current meta compared to condi mes, and so DeceiverX is saying that since the skill gap is massive (therefore boosting Helseth’s overall effect on his team’s score) a way of limiting Helseth’s disproportionate superiority to those in Bronze/Silver would be to play an inferior build. I don’t think that it would be enjoyable for Helseth to do that and I’m not making any challenges or demands myself, but it would make him slightly more comparable to an average player trying to climb out of a division where they “don’t belong.”

Helseth seems to be under the impression that his experience mirrors that of other players who belong in higher divisions; many people disagree, and this is why. Were he to limit his performance level to that of a Gold player, either by playing more poorly or playing a worse build, this “Helseth vs ELO hell journey” series would’ve more accurately portrayed a Gold-level player’s experience getting from Bronze to Platinum. But he didn’t. He played at a Legendary level on the highest-rated meta build (which he probably created and tested many times himself), and as a result did in fact climb quickly. Good for him, still isn’t really relevant to average players stuck in below-average divisions.

By limiting himself to a “Gold player” level, he could NEVER leave gold. A “Gold level player” will NEVER reach platinum, because then they would be a “Platinum level player.”

Average players, are going to be above average to below-average players, they will STILL be BELOW AVERAGE to above average players. Either they play enough games to reach their natural ranking, or they do not. An average player is NEVER going to get to and stay in platinum, unless they game the decay system after a win streak, and even then will see a downward trend. It’s just a simple fact. Now, you may FEEL that the majority of players in platinum are “average,” but statistically, that’s not the case.

in PvP

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Basically, you’re indirectly confirming that most of the progression is related to profession/build choice which for 90% of all PvP matchups is out of the player’s control; a la randomness for who’s online for matchmaking to also potentially randomly-pick between, since 9/10 players in every PvP game are added without you being considered aside from rank and rank alone.

A given Necromancer shouldn’t be carrying, that is, unless its opponents are strictly terrible enough to allow it to happen, in which case, why are they all in the tier they’re in? It’s a direct contradiction to the point you’re trying to make.

I want to make it clear that I don’t think of much regarding “Elo hell”, but am only stating that Helseth’s climb proves nothing in either direction.

Except he did played matches as power mesmer and even with weird builds with amulet and traits that made no sense at all as sub goals and yet he still kept his average winning rating.

Some fights he had to be extra careful for not having proper condition cleanse, other’s he didn’t had enough burst to kill quickly yet his impact on every match is undeniable. Because at the other hand yet at using those builds still managed to win 1v2 fights like he does with his proper build.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

(edited by azyume.6321)

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

You called out a specific group of players on a named server with that “scrub” comment. It was removed, appropriately, because why be nasty and what value does such a comment have? You were merely warned, not given any points or penalty. I’m sorry if that bothered you, but consider how you post in the future and it won’t happen again.

As for this thread: If something is truly across the line, flag it for moderator review. Don’t do that because you don’t like the OP, don’t like someone in the thread, or don’t agree with the opinions expressed. But if you feel something breaches the Forum Code of Conduct — as your scrub comment did — then let the moderators know.

Edit to add: If the comment immediately above mine remains as it’s written, it will be moderated. You cannot name-call and insult — that’s just wrong.

I’ve been infracted for talking about infractions…

in PvP

Posted by: CrashTheGrey.1492

CrashTheGrey.1492

1v1 me helseth you weapon stowing pleb, with your about-face phase retreats.

I didn’t even capitalize your name, get dunked on.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Dear bronze-gold players claiming they’re stuck in elo hell;

I’m starting this thread with the mindset that I want to have a civil discussion between us winners and the elo hell complainers.

I, kittykittymeowmew, landed in bronze at a rating of 612.

I’m now in platinum in less than 100 games with a record of 76-12 (soloq only) not including my placement scores.

I have three questions for you:

1) Is it possible to carry games
2) is it possible to climb out of gold reliably if you’re consistently the best player on both teams
3) why wont you guys just get good instead of spending your time whining here? Maybe you would have climbed out of gold if you did.

Anyway, let’s have a fruitful discussion until the mod slams my thread away

with love,

kittykittymeowmew

Interesting. I knew you could do it.

I think you can’t see the trees through the forest. I’ll ask two simple questions in response:

1. Why did it take the system 86 games to figure out you should be in platinum?

2. Shouldn’t you be legendary? Why does the system still have you in the wrong league?

Edit: Most of the threads are complaining about mismatched teams, the Elo hell thing is kind of a straw man. This only happened for a small set of people in S2, and it was identified and fixed promptly.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

(edited by Archon.6480)

in PvP

Posted by: nothelseth.4621

nothelseth.4621

First of all; ily Gaile, The forums are generally used as a place to vent and complain for à While now, making IT an Echo chamber for whining. I think It would benefit you guys here on the forums discussing openings, rotations and productive ideas instead of trying to drag down the best gw2 ranked season in the history ofgw2. This is how à competitive game works, legendary rank is no longer handed out as à participation reward.

So, to contribute:

1. The Idea that this could only be Done on mesmer is complete trite, shoutouts to obindo who decided to The climb and has à similiar winratio on warrior RN.
2. I Will now answer 5 questions from Ppl in this thread. The requirement: questions Will have to relate with how to improve and win in pvp

Typed fr.o.m. iPad so correct spelling IF you dont shower enough

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

You’re PvP community is blowing up from the current status and this is what you come to talk about.

I actually got excited at the red flag on the thread thinking it was some feedback about the current situation but instead I read squabble.

(I also really sincerely hope you’re not using the top gw2 player to dictate what the average player should be able to do, I know you guys have proven to be more logical than that in the past)

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

@nothelseth: what do you think are the most important keybinds to change to improve play, generally speaking, and more specifically for mesmer?

also ty for this thread and ur streams.

in PvP

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

@nothelseth: what do you think are the most important keybinds to change to improve play, generally speaking, and more specifically for mesmer?

also ty for this thread and ur streams.

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

Haha this is too funny!

Look folks. MMR hell exists, that’s a fact.

I swear, pro-leaguers have to stop being put on a pedestal by this community.

in PvP

Posted by: Selya.5039

Selya.5039

I think the correct question to ask is:

Can a player who “rightfully belongs to Tier X” carry teams in “Tier X-1 or even Tier X-2”?
(Eg. Can a player who rightfully belongs in Platinum carry teams in Gold or even Silver?)

Most people will never play at the level of a legendary. The “proof” that arguably the best mesmer in the world can carry teams in bronze-gold is irrelevant to them. Even the proof that a good plat player can carry teams out of bronze is irrelevant to them. What they require is proof that if I am merely a gold or plat player, I can carry teams in silver/gold consistently enough to rise to my “true league”.

Insofar as people are perennially stuck in a tier or two below where they should be (defined as they would perform as well as the average player in that tier) because they simply cannot carry people in their current tier who lose 4v3s or 2v1s, then there’s a problem. Not as outrage inducing as “Omg legendaries get stuck in bronze”, but nevertheless, a very frustrating problem.

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I think you would’ve climbed with less losses if you embraced the NA “pro league” meta

https://puu.sh/tcTrJ/b6386bc0ab.jpg

:^)

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

I think you would’ve climbed with less losses if you embraced the NA “pro league” meta

savage af xD

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Lolz. I knew I was missing something in my strategy!

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Due to the high rate of moderator attention that this topic has required due to rude, off-topic and/or derailing posts, this thread is being closed.