ESL Finals: Supreme Win

in PvP

Posted by: Zagerus.8675

Zagerus.8675

I want to say thanks to ArenaNet and to the Finals teams for putting on such a bad kitten show today. You guys have pushed this game into overdrive and it was just tons of fun to watch. Twitch chat was off the chain (in a good way!) and the energy levels were crazyyy. I’m getting pumped again just recalling it. You guys have effing nailed it and I look forward to more progress for other professions that couldn’t make the cut into top-tier this year. It would be beautiful to see what it looks like for them to stretch their legs in this monster of a combat environment. Thank you for the experience!!

in PvP

Posted by: Corp Por.1567

Corp Por.1567

I’m happy the game was more fast paced. I still feel the camera following the action was terri-bad. I don’t think this game is made for E-Sports…too difficult to follow with their current method of viewing the combat.

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

There was so much skill spamming going on I could barely tell who was getting hit what skills. Freaking Bayonetta is more comprehensible than this flashy spam-fest. They might as well reduce the casting time of everything by 50% and reduce recharge by 80% and make it URF mode

PvP is just bad.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I watched the finals. It wasn’t impressive at all. There was excessive hype. What are we seeing here?

We’re seeing a group of players waited on hand and foot by anet. We see them getting the buffs and nerfs they want. We see them setting up an environment that suits there tastes and personal agendas and biases.

Where were the Mesmers? They weren’t there.. the Pro League players were unwilling to learn to play against them. ANET accommodated them by nerfing Mesmer out of the game.

Pasha.

I nearly died of eye roll.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

That’s truly a pity.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I have no idea how you think it wasn’t great to watch. There were so many kills, there were actually some comebacks (including one absolutely incredible one that even if all other games were awful it would have made the finals worth watching), and there were close matches. I also loved seeing the search and rescue play in the second semi final(I really don’t want it nerfed now just because of how awesome it was to watch in the pro league even though I did before). I will admit that the first semi final could have been more exciting and close but the other 2 matches were awesome to watch. Maybe people say they don’t like it because they simply don’t like the concept of gw2 e-sports but as someone who does really like watching the e-sport events that are held, the finals were amazing and I quite literally can’t wait for season 2 which will use the same meta.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

I have no idea how you think it wasn’t great to watch. There were so many kills, there were actually some comebacks (including one absolutely incredible one that even if all other games were awful it would have made the finals worth watching), and there were close matches. I also loved seeing the search and rescue play in the second semi final(I really don’t want it nerfed now just because of how awesome it was to watch in the pro league even though I did before). I will admit that the first semi final could have been more exciting and close but the other 2 matches were awesome to watch. Maybe people say they don’t like it because they simply don’t like the concept of gw2 e-sports but as someone who does really like watching the e-sport events that are held, the finals were amazing and I quite literally can’t wait for season 2 which will use the same meta.

Question for you, what happened to that caused the come back?

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Some people are so jaded it’s depressing. I just finished watching the finals matches and thought it was fantastic. Yes there were some classes missing ( warrior, thief, Guardian, Mesmer and only 1 ranger seen) but it was really interesting to watch.

Side note, I actually loved the lack of portal plays. No portal forced people to get around the map the old fashioned way and rotate properly.

in PvP

suffish.4150

The one on temple? Vermilion got a load of kills on abjured players and managed to decap all their points so with about 1 minute left it was 1 cap to 0 in favour of vermilion and they also got tranquility and held a 3 cap for the rest of the game to win 500-477.
In total it was about a 200 point comeback.

PvE- Grolex (Warrior)

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

The one on temple? Vermilion got a load of kills on abjured players and managed to decap all their points so with about 1 minute left it was 1 cap to 0 in favour of vermilion and they also got tranquility and held a 3 cap for the rest of the game to win 500-477.

This is exactly what I mean, you have no idea what exactly caused the come back.

What skills did they use during that key moment? How much was the damage? How much was the sustain? Was it good positioning? Was it bad positioning? What mistakes were made?

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Finals could’ve been better for 2 reasons: shoutcasters were calling bad 1v1 deaths because they are oblivious to what was happening in the minimap when there were obvious 1v2 deaths with quick rotations, 2nd: the camera management overall was A.I.D.S. (throughout the entire event, I assume it was jebro; it was that bad) and made what should’ve been fun matches to watch, really bad.

in PvP

suffish.4150

This is exactly what I mean, you have no idea what exactly caused the come back.

What skills did they use during that key moment? How much was the damage? How much was the sustain? Was it good positioning? Was it bad positioning? What mistakes were made?

To be honest I don’t really care about key skills used at key moments, what matters is the kill, it does not matter how it is done. It is, in my opinion, nothing to get excited about or even for the commentators to mention if one player takes another to 50% with one skill because which skills that were used do not matter, it is the result of those skills that does. As for the good or bad positioning, you can tell where players are going by looking at the minimap at the corner of the screen, which I often do while watching. To be honest if you want to see which skills were used you can just pay attention to the fight that is being shown on screen and watch how each individual player plays in that fight.
Really though, you are right that I don’t know which skills were timed to perfection and turned the game around but I don’t really care about that, what I cared about in that game was the kills to decap the points and the taking of tranquility. How it was done does not really matter in my opinion.

PvE- Grolex (Warrior)

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

To be honest I don’t really care about key skills used at key moments, what matters is the kill, it does not matter how it is done. It is, in my opinion, nothing to get excited about or even for the commentators to mention if one player takes another to 50% with one skill because which skills that were used do not matter, it is the result of those skills that does. As for the good or bad positioning, you can tell where players are going by looking at the minimap at the corner of the screen, which I often do while watching. To be honest if you want to see which skills were used you can just pay attention to the fight that is being shown on screen and watch how each individual player plays in that fight.
Really though, you are right that I don’t know which skills were timed to perfection and turned the game around but I don’t really care about that, what I cared about in that game was the kills to decap the points and the taking of tranquility. How it was done does not really matter in my opinion.

You care about the kill? A shame, I feel like I can wave a bunch of big numbers in front of you and you’d be entertained.

I care about the skill. The thing that actually matters in combat.

Which Guild Wars 2 PvP is lacking entirely. Skill based combat, there is no longer proper punishment for mistakes, there is no longer a risk/reward anymore, only reward and any risk is just punished.

in PvP

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

I think because of the camera, ppl who didn’t play ever guild wars 2 think that even dota is better quality by far than this game… it’s a shame that they can’t give viewers a good camera, to see how good quality this game has ingame!

in PvP

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

I did enjoy the games. The camera-handling was crap, the twitch lagged, they reset once, the syncing was dreadful.

But the games were absolutely amazing! Finally I could watch the whole event without falling asleep.

Pretty long 1v1 plays across the map and brutal clusterflak teamfights (even off-points) everywhere. Some excellent support plays from ele’s, engineers and that one from Alkore meanwhile DD players were unloading every hurt on focus targets while struggling to stay alive themselves…

3 series out of the four ended 3:1 so even the EU second team got a leg from Abjured (with one of the best comeback I’ve ever seen…). Well no surprise they are the four best of the world for a reason!

I wish more Gua/Warrior/Thief/Ranger were played but…

I think if finally the “only one profession maximum” rules got introduced -so no double rev- we can see more of the mentioned professions.

#I no words have"

in PvP

Posted by: Duncanmix.5238

Duncanmix.5238

Problem with mesmers was that everyone hated them, even non pros. Just remember how games were in pro league… Almost every match finished on timer instead of score. Never ending fights on all 3 nodes, and every team had 2 mesmers for a reason.
This meta is moving in right direction. At least maps were finishing before timer runs out, and we saw bunch of kills as well.

As for the camera, I feel its not problem of person who is handling the camera, but problem is that there’s too much going on. Take a temple as an example, at one point there’s action on 5 places (3 nodes and 2 buffs). If there were option to maybe split view 2 or 3 places, but then obviously u wouldn’t be able to see everything as clear.

Gunnar’s Hold

in PvP

Posted by: Hansen.3264

Hansen.3264

I watched it all. I was good and great fun.

I was thinking Many times that would someone have used mesmer portal+ mobility or thief mobility it would have been able to bring more to the teams. Even some guard play could have worked. But there choices.

I would like to se no class stacking. So 5 different classes each team

in PvP

Posted by: Hansen.3264

Hansen.3264

I watched it all. It was good and great fun.

I was thinking Many times that would someone have used mesmer portal+ mobility or thief mobility it would have been able to bring more to the teams. Even some guard play could have worked. But there choices.

I would like to se no class stacking. So 5 different classes each team

in PvP

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I wish more Gua/Warrior/Thief/Ranger were played but…

I think if finally the “only one profession maximum” rules got introduced -so no double rev- we can see more of the mentioned professions.

No… You won’t.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

No “everyone” doesn’t hate Mesmers. I’ve mained one for years. People who are unwilling or unable to learn to play against Mesmers hate the class.

Admittedly.. it takes some skill and attention to beat a proficient Mesmer.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I have to say the EU commentators are alot better then the NA guys. They get excited and go crazy over stuff where as the guys kind are just there.

I do like how they presented it, the matches overall were not very good but witht eh music and the way the EU commentators acted it made it feel alot more fun.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

No “everyone” doesn’t hate Mesmers. I’ve mained one for years. People who are unwilling or unable to learn to play against Mesmers hate the class.

Admittedly.. it takes some skill and attention to beat a proficient Mesmer.

He was referring to bunk mesms, which definitely were hated by everyone

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

Some people are so jaded it’s depressing. I just finished watching the finals matches and thought it was fantastic. Yes there were some classes missing ( warrior, thief, Guardian, Mesmer and only 1 ranger seen) but it was really interesting to watch.

Side note, I actually loved the lack of portal plays. No portal forced people to get around the map the old fashioned way and rotate properly.

3/9 classes were totally absent and 2/9 were used once meaning that 5/9 classes were not meaningfully represented.

Not only that, out of all the theoretically possible builds in this game we was most classes using very similar builds because they are just objectively better.

On a game like Overwatch where there’s only so many classes (in this case builds), it’s fine to see multiple of the same class, but from what I’ve seen the game actually encourages a variety of strategies because each character has strengths and weaknesses which can lead to different team comps that are all viable. A better example would probably be SMITE but I’m not as familiar with it.

In GW2, we have very little variety and to make things worse the builds involved are not that difficult to play. Sure, they play them better than the average player but there’s almost no “Wow I can’t believe they hit that!” moments of skill that you see in other games. If you just want close games that’s fine I guess but I would rather see variety and players pulling off moves that are major game changers.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Posted by: eoe.3215

eoe.3215

I enjoyed watching it a lot!

A few points though:

- better team introduction with some stats and short overview of players and teams (general stats like winrate, played/preferred classes, previous teams and success etc.)
-this heurix guy was terrible… quite annoying (everyone else did a good job)
- it seems like many didn’t know the date of the event and I personally felt it wasn’t that easy and clear to get the information (also on teams and players)

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

The comeback largely came i believe, from alkor managing to keep chaith away from tranquility and the rest of vermillion being able to kill the rest of abjured on al other points, forcing them to regroup at tranq while the rest of verm got caps off, and then reinforced alkor at tranq.

Abjured realized that alkor’s search and rescue could easily turn a match, so they started bursting him down at every opportunity rendering him useless, but when it came to temple, abjured was too busy with caps and secondary objectives to keep alkor supressed.

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

There was so much skill spamming going on I could barely tell who was getting hit what skills. Freaking Bayonetta is more comprehensible than this flashy spam-fest. They might as well reduce the casting time of everything by 50% and reduce recharge by 80% and make it URF mode

PvP is just bad.

Yes I agree so much.

http://oddshot.tv/shot/nairomk-20160208104652376

And ironically I’ve been playing smash bros that has bayonetta in it now. Way more comprehensible what’s going on than that AoE spamfest called gw2.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

The comeback largely came i believe, from alkor managing to keep chaith away from tranquility and the rest of vermillion being able to kill the rest of abjured on al other points, forcing them to regroup at tranq while the rest of verm got caps off, and then reinforced alkor at tranq.

Abjured realized that alkor’s search and rescue could easily turn a match, so they started bursting him down at every opportunity rendering him useless, but when it came to temple, abjured was too busy with caps and secondary objectives to keep alkor supressed.

What key skills were used that turned the tide? Which player made a mistake that made the come back happen?

in PvP

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

Awesome finals indeed. Was just great!

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

Dumbest post NA!! Like was it supposed to know it after one watch? ? Get you asinine logic out of here. Like who has that great of attention span to know who what went wrong.

And I also agree with the OP the finals were awesome.

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

The finals were lame and boring. 10 players playing a game that has been customized to there personal preferences. Not only that, the pretentiousness of the trappings was just painful to watch.

GW2 would be a better game without the pro league, imo.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

The finals were lame and boring. 10 players playing a game that has been customized to there personal preferences. Not only that, the pretentiousness of the trappings was just painful to watch.

Pro league is what keep high end spvp player in the game. So it’s needed, without it spvp would die because there would be nothing for pro players to look after or that would keep them interested in the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Pro league is what keep high end spvp player in the game. So it’s needed, without it spvp would die because there would be nothing for pro players to look after or that would keep them interested in the game.

Please, some stramers are way better than these guys, like Leeto or Helseth…

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

The majority of the MOBA audience can’t answer that question either! You really think they’re all pro players of that genre? Many are guests, excorting their bf or gf or friend who happem to grab tickets. All they (we) care about is who dies, what player got the kill and to what effect did it have. Visual stimulation means a lot but GW2 is no CS:GO or Moba game.

Yes, these items are easier to see in other Non-MMO games (because this is an mmorpg game) but an experienced player will tell you exactly what happened. It’s not hard reading the mini map. It’s what I look at the majority of the time in these tournaments.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

Dumbest post NA!! Like was it supposed to know it after one watch? ? Get you asinine logic out of here. Like who has that great of attention span to know who what went wrong.

“It was awesome! I don’t even know what happened! Literally, I had no idea what was going on, some people where hit by something, some died, some didn’t die.”
~ Fivedawgs.4267

You see why so many people treat Guild Wars 2 Esport as a joke?

I can watch League of Legends or even Super Smash Brothers and can tell you what is skills and strategies are being used. Guild Wars 2 PvP is reduced to a spam-fest with 3-4 traits proc’ing every 10 seconds.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

“It was awesome! I don’t even know what happened! Literally, I had no idea what was going on, some people where hit by something, some died, some didn’t die.”
~ Fivedawgs.4267

I can watch League of Legends or even Super Smash Brothers and can tell you what is skills and strategies are being used. Guild Wars 2 PvP is reduced to a spam-fest with 3-4 traits proc’ing every 10 seconds.

Who said I didn’t know what happen?? Abjured sent way too many people to tranquility and couldn’t keep their home point .. that’s what cost them the game. Wait, how long/often have you being playing smh bro and lol?? Anyone who has, at least, being playing gw2 for a year or two would have no problem knowing which skills were used etc… And also Lol esport camera doesn’t show which skills are being use, so I don’t know what you are getting that. And here are my suggestion to you: learn the game and learn the classes.

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

~ Fivedawgs.4267

Who said I didn’t know what happen?? Abjured sent way too many people to tranquility and couldn’t keep their home point .. that’s what cost them the game. Wait, how long/often have you being playing smh bro and lol?? Anyone who has, at least, being playing gw2 for a year or two would have no problem knowing which skills were used etc… And also Lol esport camera doesn’t show which skills are being use, so I don’t know what you are getting that. And here are my suggestion to you: learn the game and learn the classes.

Learn the game, coming from a Ruby player? HAHAHAHA! Get on my level. You can get to legendary by grinding matches on a Dragonhunter, yet, you’re in Ruby?

Also, who went to tranq? How did they lose tranq? You don’t even know.

in PvP

suffish.4150

~ Fivedawgs.4267

Learn the game, coming from a Ruby player? HAHAHAHA! Get on my level. You can get to legendary by grinding matches on a Dragonhunter, yet, you’re in Ruby?

After re-watching that game, I found that it was very easy to see who did what at the end which led to that comeback so there was no issue there:
Snowball got the decap at the altar to hold the abjured to 477 points and at tranquility alkore and kervv got the kill onto phantaram and then nos went down and chaith tried to res him up but didn’t manage it. I think phantaram also got back down to tranq from the respawn and he was in a 2v1 for a while and after he went down alkore started getting the buff and chaith, by the looks of the minimap got EXTREMELY close to interrupting alkore but he didn’t quite get there in time and nothing really changed after that other than nos dying at mid. I could name individual skills if I was looking for as much detail as I could, but there was really no problem with me seeing what happened at the end of that game there.

PvE- Grolex (Warrior)

in PvP

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

~ Fivedawgs.4267

Do you want us to count every single AA here Nova?

I want to believe good SPvP players understand the mechanics and amount of damage different attacks do. It might be hard to pick off a signet of malice in the midst of a UA, Swirling Winds, Meteor Shower, Reaper Shroud skills with whirling finishers but as PvP players who can read the action we can know what happens when someone dips fast…if the camera is at the right location at the right time. (They gotta work on that…)

They need to do more to improve new player viewership, simply screaming out ‘Nos goes down! He’s getting Spiked!’ when a flurry of animations are going off is not helping.

I went on a bit of a tangent there, but back to your question of ‘What caused the comeback’? Abjured mishandled Tranquility twice, not just against Vermilion but 55 as well which boggles my mind. I know for a fact Abj is an absolute monster at rotation, which confuses me as to why when they had a slight edge at Tranquility in both instances that they never thought to send at least 1 player to at least decap their home node and slow Verm or 55’s point gain down. Actually further reflection here, Abjured had issues finishing either team off completely in the wide space of that Tranq room as compared to how well they do on points or in confined spaces or ledges. Distance is key here, Verm and 55 kept sending at least 1 live player to stall out 2 or more Abj at Tranq, and after rotating for a 2 cap at least (with Stillness 4 cap at times) they pressured Abj at Tranq, Abj got outplayed by being forced to commit.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

~ Fivedawgs.4267

After re-watching that game, I found that it was very easy to see who did what at the end which led to that comeback so there was no issue there:
Snowball got the decap at the altar to hold the abjured to 477 points and at tranquility alkore and kervv got the kill onto phantaram and then nos went down and chaith tried to res him up but didn’t manage it. I think phantaram also got back down to tranq from the respawn and he was in a 2v1 for a while and after he went down alkore started getting the buff and chaith, by the looks of the minimap got EXTREMELY close to interrupting alkore but he didn’t quite get there in time and nothing really changed after that other than nos dying at mid. I could name individual skills if I was looking for as much detail as I could, but there was really no problem with me seeing what happened at the end of that game there.

You had to rewatch it to even understand who went where, let alone any key skills that were used.

My point stands, it’s a mindless, spam-fest that doesn’t properly punish mistakes, doesn’t have a risk/reward, only reward. Any risk is never worth the reward now.

Guild War 2 combat has gone down the drain, I can barely log in to finish dailies let alone actually play the game. It’s just boring now. I get more enjoyment playing League of Legends now, at least that game it feels like every move I do matters and making mistakes is very clear. I don’t even like League of Legends much! I much prefer Dark Souls, Bayonetta, Monster Hunter. All with more refined, skill-based combat.

in PvP

suffish.4150

~ Fivedawgs.4267

You had to rewatch it to even understand who went where, let alone any key skills that were used.

My point stands, it’s a mindless, spam-fest that doesn’t properly punish mistakes, doesn’t have a risk/reward, only reward. Any risk is never worth the reward now.

Guild War 2 combat has gone down the drain, I can barely log in to finish dailies let alone actually play the game. It’s just boring now.

While I understand that I cannot change your opinion on this, and I am not trying to, I really didn’t have to watch it again to see who went where, I saw that when it was live. It was just a matter of me actually remembering what happened after not seeing it for a day. While I was watching it live I was just caught up in the hype of that match and I was not trying to see EXACTLY what happened, and to be honest I didn’t care because it was just amazing to watch. If you listen to the commentators after vermillion got tranquility, that was how I was feeling while watching that game, lol.
My point is that you do not have to see exactly where everyone is and what skills they are using to appreciate a truly incredible match.

PvE- Grolex (Warrior)

in PvP

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

First, thanks very much to Anet, the shoutcasters, and the players. I enjoyed watching.

Second, these matches are much more fun to watch than the bunker matches early in the season.

Third, I really hope that the fundamental pvp game is not changed. It’s currently my favorite part of the game. I like the complexity and the pace. As an average pvp player, I feel like I can learn and get better for a long time in this game mode.

I think there might be some good parallels in thinking about how football (American rules) is televised to try to see how presenting GW2 pvp might work better for fans.

First of all, most football fans can’t tell you most of what’s happening on the field. In a given play, there are dozens of variables and there is action all over the field. As you learn more about the sport, you can recognize offensive and defensive formations and plays. And even though you can basically have a good chance of following the most important action by just watching the ball, you need replays and multiple camera angles to make sense of it. And what makes football so awesome as a TV viewer is that there is time in between plays where they can show you more detail on what really happened (and you can argue with a friend on whether it really was pass interference)

GW2 PVP doesn’t have basically any gaps. As a shoutcaster, it must be insanely difficult to pick the most entertaining and meaningful conflict to cover and be able to explain it clearly. As I listen, really the only things I can follow are who is being focused on, whether their health is low, and whether they have any heals/utilities on cooldown that might help them survive. The shoutcasters seem to do a pretty reasonable job of predicting if someone is going to to into downstate and whether they are likely to get rezzed.

So what can realistically be done to make this work better for the viewer?

First, I think a little more can be done before and after the match. Before the gates open and the splits happen, someone could do some starting analysis to say what players are likely to go to what spots, why they would go there, and what kinds of early battles might happen to shape the way the game will go. After the match, it’s probably hard to do this quickly, but it would be cool to get a “match moment” video recap. This is like the replay in football. The analysts play back a meaningful fight in the match and they outline the moves that made it turn out that way. Could this be done at a detailed level in a reasonable amount of time? I’m not sure. It would be cool to get this even if it was only available as video days later.

Second, I wonder if there might be a relatively small amount of UI work to create a view that makes it a little easier to consume. One possibility is to pull the minimap, the kills summary, and any advertising over to a column on one side of the screen. Maybe this mini-map could be tweaked slightly to indicate percent capped on each point (so viewer could actually see the points getting capped or decapped from this mini-map). Possibly, you could add in a “big hits” indicator in this area as well that might show skills that had a huge impact (just name of the character, the skill and the output). I’m not sure how practical this all is both in terms of effort and in terms of making it easier for the viewer.

The reality is the things that make this game mode and GW2 combat fun for a lot of people also make it difficult to describe or to follow in realtime.

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

First, thanks very much to Anet, the shoutcasters, and the players. I enjoyed watching.

Second, these matches are much more fun to watch than the bunker matches early in the season.

Third, I really hope that the fundamental pvp game is not changed. It’s currently my favorite part of the game. I like the complexity and the pace. As an average pvp player, I feel like I can learn and get better for a long time in this game mode.

I think there might be some good parallels in thinking about how football (American rules) is televised to try to see how presenting GW2 pvp might work better for fans.

First of all, most football fans can’t tell you most of what’s happening on the field. In a given play, there are dozens of variables and there is action all over the field. As you learn more about the sport, you can recognize offensive and defensive formations and plays. And even though you can basically have a good chance of following the most important action by just watching the ball, you need replays and multiple camera angles to make sense of it. And what makes football so awesome as a TV viewer is that there is time in between plays where they can show you more detail on what really happened (and you can argue with a friend on whether it really was pass interference)

GW2 PVP doesn’t have basically any gaps. As a shoutcaster, it must be insanely difficult to pick the most entertaining and meaningful conflict to cover and be able to explain it clearly. As I listen, really the only things I can follow are who is being focused on, whether their health is low, and whether they have any heals/utilities on cooldown that might help them survive. The shoutcasters seem to do a pretty reasonable job of predicting if someone is going to to into downstate and whether they are likely to get rezzed.

So what can realistically be done to make this work better for the viewer?

First, I think a little more can be done before and after the match. Before the gates open and the splits happen, someone could do some starting analysis to say what players are likely to go to what spots, why they would go there, and what kinds of early battles might happen to shape the way the game will go. After the match, it’s probably hard to do this quickly, but it would be cool to get a “match moment” video recap. This is like the replay in football. The analysts play back a meaningful fight in the match and they outline the moves that made it turn out that way. Could this be done at a detailed level in a reasonable amount of time? I’m not sure. It would be cool to get this even if it was only available as video days later.

Second, I wonder if there might be a relatively small amount of UI work to create a view that makes it a little easier to consume. One possibility is to pull the minimap, the kills summary, and any advertising over to a column on one side of the screen. Maybe this mini-map could be tweaked slightly to indicate percent capped on each point (so viewer could actually see the points getting capped or decapped from this mini-map). Possibly, you could add in a “big hits” indicator in this area as well that might show skills that had a huge impact (just name of the character, the skill and the output). I’m not sure how practical this all is both in terms of effort and in terms of making it easier for the viewer.

The reality is the things that make this game mode and GW2 combat fun for a lot of people also make it difficult to describe or to follow in realtime.

You are speaking for the minority.

A lot of the player base already quit PvP due to the power creep, pathetically bad balance and sheer reduction of skill based combat.

in PvP

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I’m only speaking from my perspective. I see some things that seem to be challenges, and I try to offer viewpoints and suggestions that might make them better.

I always find it odd that people will take the time to just say something is bad and not offer analysis and tangible suggestions. When someone who works for me behaves this way, I take the time to explain to them how they can be more effective. The forums don’t really have anyone to do that – I’m guessing it makes it a lot harder for Anet to get constructive ideas and useful suggestions here.

in PvP

Posted by: Stilgar.6437

Stilgar.6437

the meta is lot better and much more fun to watch now. those where some great matches. it may not be ideally balanced, since ele/scrapper/rev are so much stronger then thief/guard/war/mesmer/ranger, that teams pretty much have to run the same composition (you could see just how big of a disadvantage was to waste a spot on something like a ranger. it was a clear handicap).

But at least its fun now, people can be killed, rezzing is not guaranteed, celestial bunkers and perma invul mesmers are gone, points are capped and decapped, matches end on 500 points.

Hopefully the next pvp patch in couple months brings more balance and competitive builds for rangers/guards/thieves/mesmers/wars, but the game is certainly moving in the right direction. The meta shift away from bunkers is HUUUGE, i can forgive the class imbalance, this was a massive step.

Luckly the class imbalance is not that big of a deal in regular play so the upcoming season will be fun to play even on “weak” classes.

These finals got me pumped up for pvp again, cant wait for the season to start. Bring on the pips :P

in PvP

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

R55 killed the elementalist player in 1vs1, and The Abjured lost because of that… simple as that..soon as the ele was dead all the other players were melting down… it wasn’t a comeback, it was 320-320 ,it was very close till the 400 points, after that ele dies, and bye bye everything!
I was so pleased seeing ele dieing, from start I wrote to kill the ele first, kill the ele first, but that ele was a glass cannon healer, eventually he died…
And why the ele was 1vs1?! That was a wrong positioning, support ele must be always in team fights, he was lost there…

in PvP

Posted by: Anomaly.7612

Anomaly.7612

I’m sorry, but even watching WoW tournies is more interesting than this. You actually see the ability chains that end up turning the tide of a fight. You see the cooldowns used that made that last big play that took down a healer, or a main target, which leads to the game being won or lost. WoW arena can turn on a dime in moments due to a perfect play of all the teammates coordinating their abilities.

That’s called skill. This game is just everyone spamming their AoE’s on point and trying to outsustain. I actually didn’t think there were that many kills. I personally felt it very uninteresting to watch teams playing a mirror comp, which was a very limited one at that. There’s no build diversity or profession diversity. It actually makes me not want to play this game at all anymore as seeing that my main profession (Thief) isn’t even in a place to be played at high levels like that, so why play? They’re basically telling me to play a Rev, Engi, Necro, or support Ele. Coincidentally, five professions I don’t enjoy at all.

There needs to be some MAJOR changes made to this game in order for it to be anywhere near balanced or in a place where it can be “E-Sports.” In LoL, for example, there are plays where different ults and abilities line up from different players which leads to a big push in one direction that wipes the team and ends up resulting in a win or loss. I just saw none of that. It was just a long drawn out slug fest of AoE.

No longer motivated to play this game. It’s just unfun. Too much random CC/AoE/Condi just flying around like bacon grease in a hot pan of pork strips.

in PvP

Posted by: Stilgar.6437

Stilgar.6437

You can forgive the class imbalance? What about those who play the 3 classes that got kittened on? What about the fact that anet has consistently kittened on Mesmer for the past 4 years?

That’s an incredibly selfish stance. Unfortunately, the pro leaguers agree with you and net is letting them run the game.

Yeah i can, cause the meta in general is 10x better now. Ofc i would prefer better class balance and more diversity, i play the currently underpowered classes myself. But things are a bit different in regular play, for the most part you can overcome those imbalances and classes are not THAT unbalanced either. You can take a druid/thief/whatever and get to diamond/legendary, it wont be as easy as on scrapper but its certainly doable.

scrapper/ele/rev are OP but other classes for the most part are close enough to be competitive in regular play.

As i said hopefully the spring balance patch brings more diversity, but this patch was certainly a success.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

~ Fivedawgs.4267

If you actually reread my post, you d know that I ONLY PLAY Warrior.

(edited by Fivedawgs.4267)

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

You care about the kill? A shame, I feel like I can wave a bunch of big numbers in front of you and you’d be entertained.

I care about the skill. The thing that actually matters in combat.

Which Guild Wars 2 PvP is lacking entirely. Skill based combat, there is no longer proper punishment for mistakes, there is no longer a risk/reward anymore, only reward and any risk is just punished.

I agree with this and is personally why I find watching GW2 super boring.

When you compare it to things like SC or Melee the plays are what really drive my interest. I know some people are into controversy and salt/rivalry ect. But watching SC for years it’s always been very professional at least at events on screen.

Even League and Dota do this much better in terms of watching teamplay based plays since SC and Smash as per my prior examples are 1v1. (although I do admit I do not partake to much in spectating either MOBA)

I think when GW2 moves away from conquest as a game type, and pushes “actually killing” as the victory condition. As well pushing away from 5v5 team fights while balancing around small skirmishes for at most 3v3s will I actually take an interest in these fights. Hell even if the balance was streamlined to make the plays more interesting sure, that would be great if it was not what they have been attempting to do for years. What I see on screen currently I find very “meh”, and I have a suspicion people only care if they have a vested interest with A-net, or the current top players regardless of the content shown.

But who knows we all have guilty pleasures for bad content, and no one should be judged for it. Personally though I am disappointed since we have had multiple years of this, and it could have been fixed.

Also Ithilwen I see what your doing man, and I agree for the most part especially when one also considers dev bias. But your agenda is obvious and not doing any favors for the class.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)