ESL caliber teams in Academy Gaming

in PvP

Posted by: atlrising.5134

atlrising.5134

Why do we still have teams like Syn who register weekly for AG when they are good enough to compete in ESL? Worst yet, the staff of AG knows that these teams enter their tournaments but yet does nothing to disallow their entry. Syn for example could easily make it to second round ESL or further.

in PvP

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

gems gems gems gems, that’s your answer.

in PvP

atlrising.5134

There comes a point when you must force a team to compete in a higher caliber atmosphere such as ESL instead of letting them rake in gems on a weekly basis.

in PvP

atlrising.5134

I’m also pretty sure Syn lost last week to stay out of ESL.

in PvP

atlrising.5134

Was informed that this was because they have never won AG but consistently place in the top 3 or 4.

in PvP

Posted by: SnowCow.5914

SnowCow.5914

Who is on syn?

Can’t win team fight’s without me; can’t hold points without me. #BunkerGuardLife
Teszla

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

What do you consider “good enough” for ESL? It’s pretty subjective.

Obviously you can move the winners out, which AG does. But what about people who don’t win? It’s a single-elimination tournament that as far as I know doesn’t have any point system for seeding, so it’s hard to judge. Is one team within the targeted skill range and just had an easy bracket to get to top 4 or top 2? What if a better team had a hard bracket and didn’t get very far. I’ve played in AG multiple weeks and it’s a complete crapshoot. One week we had two rounds in a row where our opponents had 100 points or less. Another week we had two sets of hard-fought 2-1’s in a row from the get-go. You can’t use final placement as a good metric for skill with how the tournaments are currently run.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Why do we still have teams like Syn who register weekly for AG when they are good enough to compete in ESL? Worst yet, the staff of AG knows that these teams enter their tournaments but yet does nothing to disallow their entry. Syn for example could easily make it to second round ESL or further.

Erm no. I don’t mean to BM, but Syn lost to my 24 hour old pug team (with a sub 5 mins before AG who turned out to be a perma downstate necro) last week, the same pug team got knocked out in round 1 of the ESL monthly 2 days later.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

(edited by Random Weird Guy.3528)

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

least the fa games were fun. The FA team that won put up a pretty decent fight against them the first game. 2nd game wasnt as good.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Demus.4571

Demus.4571

Altrising based off of my experience playing with you in a pug environment you might want to consider changing your attitude and being open to criticism regarding build and playstyle rather than complain about losing to players who are willing and able to make those adjustments.

[ASAP] Zerg ~~~ Starkar

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

@OP I was on your team last week when we played syn, o was also on the team that beat you guys yesterday. I understand your frustration, no one likes losing. However, you seemed to be our weak link last weak to the point where I honestly thought we could beat them if we had someone with more SPVP experience, as I understand it most of your pvp experience is from WvW.

Same with yesterday. You guys actually had quite a few strong players on your team and the rotations were solid at the beginning of the first map. But again you seemed to be a weak link. No shame in that man, I was awful the first tourneys I played in, I’ve definitely been the weak link before. I probably was my FA teams weak link yesterday tbh. But it doesn’t mean I think the better players shouldn’t be allowed to play.

And even with you and the other good players we of HD720 kitten forced an early GG. So I see no reason why you should complain about a team you didn’t even have to fight.

With that said is there any chance in the future that the FA team that wins doesn’t get immediately thrown against the 1 seed. If not it’s fine, just need to get better or get myself a regular team.

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

The salt is real on this thread

in PvP

Random Weird Guy.3528

With that said is there any chance in the future that the FA team that wins doesn’t get immediately thrown against the 1 seed. If not it’s fine, just need to get better or get myself a regular team.

That’s not going to happen, it’s just the way seeding works across any competitive scene. If I consistently placed low in an international tennis tournament, I would always get seeded against the top players rather than being ‘given a chance’, which would otherwise result in me placing higher than I should.

Say for example you have the top team vs the 3rd best team in round one out of 16 teams. 3rd best team loses and gets placed 9-16th. Meanwhile the 12th team wins vs the 16th team in round one and wins vs the 14th team in round two and gets placed 4th. Team 12 gets better rewards than Team 3 unfairly due to the seeding.

This is why seeding is the way it is.

(edited by Random Weird Guy.3528)

in PvP

Posted by: Tux der Pinguin.3049

Tux der Pinguin.3049

I played in both, esl (Go4 and weekly)before and academy gaming yesterday. We lost against the winning team.
I can assure you there is a difference between the good esl teams and the teams fighting at academy yesterday. So i guess, everything is fine there. There are a few teams with potential for midtier, but all (us included) need more practise, some even a roster change, to actually be able to compete against the big names from midtier.

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

That’s not going to happen, it’s just the way seeding works across any competitive scene. If I consistently placed low in an international tennis tournament, I would always get seeded against the top players rather than being ‘given a chance’, which would otherwise result in me placing higher than I should.

Say for example you have the top team vs the 3rd best team in round one out of 16 teams. 3rd best team loses and gets placed 9-16th. Meanwhile the 12th team wins vs the 16th team in round one and wins vs the 14th team in round two and gets placed 4th. Team 12 gets better rewards than Team 3 unfairly due to the seeding.

This is why seeding is the way it is.

I know how seeding works that’s why I asked the way I did, and immediately said it’s fine if it didn’t happen ever and then continued by saying I need to get better or get myself a regular team.

In no way shape or form am I salty or complaining. I’ve played in this tourney for a while now and I enjoy every one of them.

in PvP

atlrising.5134

I am not salty either and Storm and I talked about this and why Syn (Who is forced now to play an ESL tournament by winning AG) was only mid tier and therefore still qualified for AG. I most likely am the weakest link on the last two weeks of tournament play.

I actually do really decent in most Ranked matches so I decided to try out tournaments, That being said I was also doing things yesterday that I do not have to do outside of tournament play ie. Portals which are not something I am accustomed to.

A bunch of people rode me hard yesterday on Storms Twitch for an opinion that I have that they do not agree with, some of those being on Syn (and I knew by their names that they were on Syn).

I am though taking the suggestion to heart and considering making a mid-tier tournament for teams so that someone like Storm is not forced to bump up a team to ESL out of AG before they are ready. No one wants to be a good mid tier team, win a tournament and get destroyed by The Abjured or Radioactive…

in PvP

Posted by: Belial.9350

Belial.9350

Speaking on which, why the heck was Genyen allowed to play in a team for the last AG? Wasn’t he on Radioactive for a fair while?

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Define ESL caliber. Able to stomp you? Unless they are consistently dominating the AG tournaments, they aren’t close to the level of teams that actually compete in the ESL tournaments. AFAIK Syn has NOT been stomping the AG tournaments with any consistency, correct me if I’m wrong. Also, Genyen hasn’t done anything competitive in a while. Allowing the players to compete in the AG is a judgement call by Storm based on when they were last considered competitive.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

atlrising.5134

Olun, to me any team who can beat a team 500-150, or 500-300 and making frequent trips to the finals even if they are not winning is, most likely too good for AG but I digress this forum posting is starting to bore me. -Yawn-

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

They beat FA teams by those margins, I honestly didn’t watch the rest of the tourney but I doubt they 500-150 any of the teams left by the time they played again. 500-300 is completely understandable, one big team fight win is enough to do that.

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

“They never beat AG but they’re too good to enter AG.”

That’s some good laughs right there.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: Belial.9350

Belial.9350

Olun, to me any team who can beat a team 500-150, or 500-300 and making frequent trips to the finals even if they are not winning is, most likely too good for AG but I digress this forum posting is starting to bore me. -Yawn-

So if I make a team of completely new players and enter AG, any team that beats us 500-150 is too good for AG?

in PvP

atlrising.5134

Fourm admins I will requesting this being locked, its getting stupid now and we all know how toxic this forum is for the community.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Everything’s relative. You should be comparing the teams you’re talking about to the ESL competition, not to the randoms that sign up.

in PvP

atlrising.5134

Syn is not a random. It’s Over is not a random, They are consistent finishers in AG, Top 4 easy every week. Instead of being trolls to this post. How about donations for winners of a real Beginner’s tournament?

in PvP

atlrising.5134

Now let this post die because I’m starting to think after trying to kill it off three times now that I need to possibly consider a harassment complaint.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

There’s always going to be a skill level lower than the teams participating in a tournament. Pointing that out doesn’t make me a troll. Also, if you read what I was saying, I called the teams that Syn was stomping randoms, not Syn itself.

You aren’t trying to kill off the thread; you keep posting in it. You’re like a ten year old fighting for the last word. A thread disagreeing with you doesn’t make it toxic.

in PvP

atlrising.5134

Yes this will be the fourth time asking people to let it die, I am actually considering complaining to the admins.

in PvP

Posted by: SnowCow.5914

SnowCow.5914

AG is an avenue for low-mid tier teams to eventually make it up to ESL. If and team consistently wins it ,ie 1st place, then they should be considered esl’s. AG isn’t a place for farming gems but to build up teams for competitive play. I don’t watch ag enough to know which teams are at that caliber but I trust Mila’s judgment on that.

If you’re just forming a yolo team with random friends than actually trying to form a team then why complain of you lose to a practiced team. More ag teams should practice more and prepare for ag instead just forming just for that moment. Then maybe they’ll have more success in making it to the finals.

Look into the competition of the teams that win it so you can comp and practice around it. Actually practice and stop caring for stupid dailies be competitive! (play more eles /sarcasm)

Can’t win team fight’s without me; can’t hold points without me. #BunkerGuardLife
Teszla

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

You know you’re perfectly capable of just ignoring the thread, atlrising? If you stopped commenting and nobody disagreed, the thread would die. If people still disagree, then they’d have a conversation about the topic you brought up. Just because you started the thread doesn’t mean you get the right to say when that discussion ends.