Easily fix the size of the active player pool

in PvP

Posted by: crunchyraisin.6054

crunchyraisin.6054

Revert Ascended Shards of Glory rate to how they were. Lower the number of marks needed to craft ascended armor and weapons to 1.

Now you have more people playing more games in the season, and you’re going to have way more players motivated to craft those new marks to help with your game economy issues, matchmaking improves because there is a stronger player pool, and it’s easier to obtain max-gear which lines up with the game’s original non-moving-carrot philosophy. Fix 4 problems with one stone, or explain why not!

Is it me or is this super easy? Surely we can agree that the current system demands too much pvp to receive too little of an incentive, right?

The only negative is it would require a refund of some sort to that relatively small number of players who have used this new mark-based crafting system to purchase ascended weapons or armor. Anet has delivered on this type of thing before.

(edited by crunchyraisin.6054)

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

The reason why this didn’t worked in Season 5. Because it didn’t give PvEers a reason to be productive in PvP. All it did was allow for the PvEers and such to give us more low match quality. Because their was more players back then, that was just blatantly telling people how they was afking because they are only interested in the free ascended gear.

I put time out for Smite and Paragon. To give ANet the benefit of the doubt for Season 5 and did about 50 matches. Out of those 50 I more then likely could’ve count on my fingers alone, how many fun and competitive matches I had. Where all ten players was equally matched and fighting the whole match.

It’s simple PvE should have absolutely nothing to do with competitive PvP. This is where ANet went wrong in the first place. They lured too many PvE players to dilute the PvP queue with toxicity. Over a PvE legendary back piece.

I am willing to bet 200 USD. That if instead of a legendary PvE item, that the prize was a extremely good looking skin that had no stats to it. The whole League would’ve had a much healthier and more productive start. However after even long waited short list balanced patch. ANet catered more and more towards the PvEers as more and more of the PvPers lefted the game.

For me the breaking point was season 3 I didn’t even play season 4. I spent all of season 4 trying out another game. One that was nearly like GW2 but was completely dedicated towards PvP. During my time playing this other game. I started noticing the difference between everything. To be honest Ever since season 3 I have yet made a full return to the PvP scene of GW2. Thanks to ANet’s wants to flood the PvP queue with players not interested in PvPing but the rewards.

After playing about 20 games for season 6. I stopped. I stopped because as I keep comparing my contribution value to my team in GW2 and the other relevant PvP games I now play. GW2 not only did not value my effort or ability. But instead punished me for getting the short end of the random team mate stick. I do believe, this season 6. Had I spammed games I could’ve ended up in High Gold if not low platinum.

However because ANet was hell bent on having a system that. Punishes as it does for things outside of their influence. And I found a game/s that actually not only valued my effort and mastery in outplaying the enemy team players. But actually made sure to let me know that it was valuing my player ability, and game knowledge. Needless to say again. Is it any wonder why, personally my time in GW2’s PvP these days are at a all time low?

So yes I am fully against putting much time and effort into a game that. Pushes for more non competitive players to join it’s ranked queues. Instead of fixing the issues started the exodus of it’s Ex-Core PvP players in the first place. Because all you are doing now is just adding distasteful snuff(PvE players would have no interest in joining PvP to be productive PvP players but to just afk idle and/or feed the enemy team. So that the match ends more quickly. So that they may get there PvE rewards at a faster rate with a much lower effort.

I would only be down for such a system. If it only rewarded reward track pips for WINS only. If not it will do nothing, but serve to hasten the current disinterest in GW2’s PvP.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

@Reaper Alim.4176

Here again to state if your first paragraph is true then they are in the basement of rankings and if someone is hardcore PvP it shouldn’t matter because you won’t match with them as you will be in a higher tier. Correct?

People said PvP was dead… so season 5, yes enticed PvE’rs (not sure if that was ANET intent) as it did me but I stayed and try hard not to fail. So they increased the pool and many still not happy. Now season 6 no one in pool because it is low because the nerf in rewards? Well that took care of most PvE’rs but PvP’rs got their wish to remove those that were there for reward and still no one is happy. Round and Round we go…

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

@crunchyraisin.6054

I don’t think that would fix the problem. PvP is also desolate at higher ratings, and those are usually people who PvP because they like it – rewards are secondary.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I am willing to bet 200 USD. That if instead of a legendary PvE item, that the prize was a extremely good looking skin that had no stats to it. The whole League would’ve had a much healthier and more productive start. However after even long waited short list balanced patch. ANet catered more and more towards the PvEers as more and more of the PvPers lefted the game.

100% agree ive been saying this on the forums for some time now that one of the biggest mistakes ANET made was making the backpiece an actual legendary item instead of a unique Skin.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

They should have bound rewards to wins, not matches played. That way people would be motivated to actually try to win instead of afking at spawn.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

It would be a step in the right direction but for many there’s no point as this is just season 5 meta all over again. I found the most challenging thing of season 5 was to try to even stay interested enough to play and stave off decay because the meta was so incredibly boring.

Barely anything changed in the laughably titled balance patch, I wish they would divert a little more towards class balance or at the very least be honest with us if they intend to sort this mess out with the next XPac.

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

Best solutions in the short AND long run:
Either make PvP Free to Play as whole, including HoT and any other specs coming out
OR have ppl unlock all expac-specs with 1 gem price ingame.

I think first options is going to be more useful.
This will eventually convince more F2P players to buy the full game to get awesome skins etc in the long run, so it’s nothing bad anyway.

Everyone can see Season 6 is dead and it’s only going to get worse from here.
Make this happen and we’ll all benefit.

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

@Terrorsquad that would be horrible. Anet would be better off just balancing elite specs to be in line with core specs, so you don’t need HoT to be competitive on most classes.

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Either make PvP Free to Play as whole, including HoT and any other specs coming out

This will eventually convince more F2P players to buy the full game to get awesome skins etc in the long run, so it’s nothing bad anyway.

im a cynic, so here’s my theory:
anet is letting the game fall into a lull because they expect the expansion, & pre expansion hype to bring people back to the game, & get new players interested.

that would indicate that the expansion is going to come out relatively soon.

also, as connected point this could be a reason why the balance is so half hearted. anet might be choosing to not put effort into balance, because they know they will need to balance w the new expansion.

alternatively anet are just incompetent.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Terrorsquad.2349

@Terrorsquad that would be horrible. Anet would be better off just balancing elite specs to be in line with core specs, so you don’t need HoT to be competitive on most classes.

It’s been over a year.
Never going to happen.

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

in PvP

Terrorsquad.2349

im a cynic, so here’s my theory:
anet is letting the game fall into a lull because they expect the expansion, & pre expansion hype to bring people back to the game, & get new players interested.

that would indicate that the expansion is going to come out relatively soon.

also, as connected point this could be a reason why the balance is so half hearted. anet might be choosing to not put effort into balance, because they know they will need to balance w the new expansion.

alternatively anet are just incompetent.

That’s what Im thinking aswel; incoming new expac soon’ish.
HoT released October 2015. So announcement should be “soon”

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

The problem with this line of thinking is we are assuming that the elite specs and not having access to them is the barrier preventing people taking part in the season.

While I’m sure it may be the case for a percentage which I personally think is low there’s a compelling counter point to it. Last season was busy, it had lots of people, lots of hype lots of participation regardless of HoT owning or not. People didn’t magically lose access to elite specs yet participation is much much lower which indicates that access to elite specs is not the problem likewise PvP is completely free to play just without elite specs.

So what changed?

Short answer: Rewards went down drastically and no change to the meta.

in PvP

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

A idea for a posible next PVP backpack(maybe skin only) :
wings idea is great but make it a tricolor or quad chanel not dyable, main and big area, your current league rating color, and smaller areas with the pass leagues rating color
and make it relative easy to achieve with constant playing, “prestige” comes not from having it, comes from colors you show

in PvP

OriOri.8724

While that could be cool, I’d be extremely kittened if PvP got another legendary skin before WvW got their legendary backpack. It doesn’t matter if its a skin only or not, all 3 game modes deserve to have 1 before any 1 game mode gets a second.

in PvP

crunchyraisin.6054

@crunchyraisin.6054

I don’t think that would fix the problem. PvP is also desolate at higher ratings, and those are usually people who PvP because they like it – rewards are secondary.

Yeah, lots of high level players aren’t playing anymore. Comparing the number of games played by people on my friends list to the leaderboards though…..even high-end players played more often when the rewards were better in season 5 compared to season 6.

You’re right that isn’t not an end-all fix. The only way to really engage high-end players is to have a competitive 5v5 tournament system with good/exclusive rewards.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

You’re right that isn’t not an end-all fix. The only way to really engage high-end players is to have a competitive 5v5 tournament system with good/exclusive rewards.

Again, I don’t think that’s the biggest issue. For me, the biggest reason not to play is the ridiculous HoT power creep which makes the game simply not that fun. Too much spam and over-the-top damage and defense.

Not being able to play a team game with multiple friends is also a detractor, but not the biggest one.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

crunchyraisin.6054

The HoT builds don’t ruin it for me though. Honestly feels to me a lot like the old cele meta.

Fully agree…..team queue needs to be a thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

so i tried crafting the marks for pvp gear. it will cost me 90g per piece 0_0 as a pvper you have to finish byzantine chest X4 to get the gold to cover 1 piece of it.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Revert Ascended Shards of Glory rate to how they were. Lower the number of marks needed to craft ascended armor and weapons to 1.

This would raise the pop, although its arguable by how much, but it would hide the true problems with pvp.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

This is a god awful solution. Rewards in PvP should have no monetary value at all. Let people unlock skins and minis.

in PvP

crunchyraisin.6054

This is a god awful solution. Rewards in PvP should have no monetary value at all. Let people unlock skins and minis.

Nothing about my suggestion would allow players to make money by pvping…

So you believe we should make pvpers pay large amounts of money and do heavy crafting to redeem their rewards…..but not give them a way to make money?

This thread is about how pvp player population is suffering as a result of poor rewards. If there were exclusive skins that were good enough to motivate more players to play more often that would solve the problem equally as well.

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

So you believe we should make pvpers pay large amounts of money and do heavy crafting to redeem their rewards…..but not give them a way to make money?

This thread is about how pvp player population is suffering as a result of poor rewards. If there were exclusive skins that were good enough to motivate more players to play more often that would solve the problem equally as well.

PvP players don’t need ascended items. They’d probably like it more if you let them unlock skins like you do in DotA more frequently than you can do it now

in PvP

Terrorsquad.2349

PvP players don’t need ascended items. They’d probably like it more if you let them unlock skins like you do in DotA more frequently than you can do it now

That’s your opinion.
Alot of good PvPérs still play WvW aswel, where ascended might help them out.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

The problem is that very few players exclusively sPvP. Many of us do WvW, many of us raid, or do fractals.

Very few players play a single game mode to the exclusion of all others.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

Yet there were people paying ranked in season 1-4 when there wasn’t an a list of ascended items to begin with?

What???

in PvP

Posted by: lorddavito.2395

lorddavito.2395

-Sâmbuca

in PvP

OriOri.8724

Yet there were people paying ranked in season 1-4 when there wasn’t an a list of ascended items to begin with?

What???

Many people were still working towards the ascension during S1-4. Now most of the people that want it are finished with the PvP side of it. So if that was their motivation for playing PvP then they have no reason to stay. And a lot of highly competitive players have simply left the game as well for various reasons.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Sorry had to!
/15charisma

Attachments:

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld