is it supposed to work like this?
or is this actually a bug?

enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCxlFf6Ad54

Elementalist and Ring of Fire

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

It’s not yet people still defend it like it was completely intended. Now that burn damage has been significantly increased, all these easily applicable burn skills need to be toned down. I never understand why Anet changes a function like Burning and doesn’t cross check and balance current skills that apply a lot of it easily.

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Nah, just bad hitboxes. Reminder that player characters have the same hitboxes as max size malecharr and malenorn even when they’re much smaller on top of RoF’s own hitbox being bigger than the actual animation.

in PvP

Posted by: x indigo x.6981

x indigo x.6981

That is intended behavior . basically you’re punished for attemtpting to cross the ring. If you strafe on the the edge back and forth, it’s like crossing it multiple times. Each time puts 3 stacks of burning.

To counter that:
- Don’t cross into the ring if you’re outside of it
- Don’t cross out of the ring if you inside of it ( it does NOT pulse burning if you stay inside)
- If you must cross the ring, you can dodge through it. When you dodge through the ring, you don’t get any stacks of burning.

I hope this helps. The skill is not overpowered. It’s the same functionality as Purging flames on guardian. Althought it might seem op to the untrained eyes that didn’t know its mechanics cause they would be kited in and out of the ring and they would pretty much kill themselves by overstacking burning on themselves. Believe me i’ve had fun kiting a rampage warrior around my purging flames to the point where he just killed himself with the burning stacks HE put on himself by crossing the ring so many times.

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

It supposed to work this way.. If you move ele cant kill you easy enough. Now its fixed, if you move you will die from the burns

in PvP

x indigo x.6981

Nah, just bad hitboxes. Reminder that player characters have the same hitboxes as max size malecharr and malenorn even when they’re much smaller on top of RoF’s own hitbox being bigger than the actual animation.

^

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Yup basically it’s, if you move you will die and if you don’t well, hey you’re a free target so you’ll die anyway.

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Cele ele
A thousand ways to kill and not be killed

in PvP

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

Wait…are people actually using this as evidence for why it should be nerfed?

You know, sometimes I just get the irresistible urge to run in and out of very visible AoEs that do damage when I cross them. Might as well make a video of someone trying to beat Unsteady Ground or Ring of Warding just by taping down the W key.

Honestly if you ever get more than 6 stacks of burning from Ring of Fire, there is literally nothing I can say other than l2p. I guess Wells and Purging Flame are OP too because I can’t just stand there like an idiot and not take damage. It is literally as simple as either stay in the ring, or dodge out of the ring. Heck, 3 stacks of burning won’t kill you so you could even walk out of the ring if you wanted to. Stacking burns on yourself with Ring of Fire is just incredibly poor situational and environmental awareness.

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

RoF is powerful and I am usually a critic of it.

But this video is actually having me defend it. The message of this demonstration was poorly executed due to the unrealistic actions of the player.

You might as well jump off a cliff and say gravity OP.

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

in PvP

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

The character hitboxes are always the same size(male charr/norn) and well, this is the result.
That doesn’t mean the Ring isn’t a little glitchy. You shouldn’t be getting a ton of stacks of Burning if you evade/block through it, but I swear it happens sometimes. I used Withdraw on my Thief to go through the Ring and got several stacks on me somehow.

in PvP

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Wait…are people actually using this as evidence for why it should be nerfed?

You know, sometimes I just get the irresistible urge to run in and out of very visible AoEs that do damage when I cross them. Might as well make a video of someone trying to beat Unsteady Ground or Ring of Warding just by taping down the W key.

Honestly if you ever get more than 6 stacks of burning from Ring of Fire, there is literally nothing I can say other than l2p. I guess Wells and Purging Flame are OP too because I can’t just stand there like an idiot and not take damage. It is literally as simple as either stay in the ring, or dodge out of the ring. Heck, 3 stacks of burning won’t kill you so you could even walk out of the ring if you wanted to. Stacking burns on yourself with Ring of Fire is just incredibly poor situational and environmental awareness.

As stupid as the video is, there is the very real problem of the way the ring AoE functions. When you get RoF dropped on you, you will quite intuitively try to skirt the edges of the ring inside to at least maintain some manner of kiting ability. Trying to skirt it will however yield similar results to what happened in OP’s vid. Telling someone to “Just stand still” when the skill in question has a 10 second cooldown is out of the question.

There’s a number of ways to fix it though.
1. Widen the ring so that there’s more room to move around inside.
2. Internal cooldown on the Burning application from it
3. General PvP-exclusive Burning nerf like what was done to Retal and Confusion
4. Reduce the Burning stacks applied by it
5. Buff the effect and increase the cooldown accordingly

The current 10s cooldown it has in the meta build makes this skill quite spammable and removes the incentive for thoughtful use of it since you gain more by simply having a higher uptime of it. So comparing it to Unsteady Ground and Ring of Warding, both of which have 30 and 40 seconds cooldowns isn’t quite sound as an argument.

in PvP

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

If the coding allows, they should give it a 1/2 second icd per target. That way it still punishes you for playing carelessly, however it should eliminate the bugging out and giving multiple stacks at once.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The application of that burning should have an internal cooldown on target, 1 second would do it.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

The skill is not overpowered.

^^ The type of person will will be very upset once ele is nerfed to be more inline with the other characters.

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Yup, Anet’ll reduce it to 2 stacks, people will feel safer walking through it and get even more stacks of burn. Their solution to this problem will be to come to the forums to complain about it.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

enjoy:

wait…those were…47 stacks of burning?

wtf anet

Attachments:

Ark 2nd Account

(edited by Archaon.9524)

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

enjoy:

wait…those were…47 stacks of burning?

wtf anet

Yup, there’s absolutely no reason for any Fire Field to reach these stacks. It needs a stack cap at 6. That goes for PoF as well.

Ever have a Necro apply 20 burns on you because he went back and worth in the ring? It made me want to quit the game. #dramaticsarcasm

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

You might as well jump off a cliff and say gravity OP.

Made me laugh

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

x indigo x.6981

The skill is not overpowered.

^^ The type of person will will be very upset once ele is nerfed to be more inline with the other characters.

I don’t even play ele .. i play guard ..

Reading the other comments , maybe the cooldown on it is too low. 10s is definitly spammaple material for an aoe application fire field with that much power.

It’s not my place to make recommendations here as to how balance eles as i don’t play ele but i understand teh mechanic of that specific skill because it’s exactly like the guardian purging flames. Balance the cooldown,.. don’t nerf the already OBVIOUS mechnic to avoid. For real though .. IT DOES NOT PULSE BURNING !

in PvP

Necrotize.2974

For those who actually think this is evidence of a broken skill…

Why? If you’re getting more than 6 stacks from Ring of Fire, you were playing poorly. Even if the ele kites you through the ring, forcing you to walk completely through it, 6 stacks of burning is all you’re gonna get and it certainly won’t kill you by itself. If you’re getting more than 6 stacks from RoF, it is player error, in the same way standing inside wells does a lot of damage to you or stealthing while you have AoEs out reveals you. It is a textbook “l2p” issue. I don’t really like using that argument, but there honestly isn’t any better way to describe it. To achieve that many burn stacks you literally have to be acting suicidal, or just really really really unaware of your surroundings and be super easy to kite. Even PvE mobs don’t stack that much burning on themselves.

(edited by Necrotize.2974)

in PvP

Posted by: Talyn Sneider.1825

Talyn Sneider.1825

When i see people complaining about ring of fire being a great strategic skill and doing lot’s of damage I shiver at what those people would feel facing a power necro with wells.

Seriously ele is op right now…ring of fire isn’t the problem though, blindness on burn is.

Entering a fight and doing aoe damage it’s acceptable, most classes do this one way or the other, but doing that and negating enemy team damage is a extraordinary thing.

→Reduce burn stacks on fire dagger skills so we don´t get such a good dps/survivability ratio
→Increase cool-down on blind on burn

And eles should be back in line.

Casual pvp’er – Can only play 2-3 hours a day

https://www.gw2pvp.de/profile/ab4bd8fa4c3f250ac9533c479b0b862b/

in PvP

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

Stop walking in and out of ring of fire.

Problem kittening solved.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in PvP

Necrotize.2974

Instruction unclear, put 40 stacks of burn on myself.

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

Napalm from Engi has 1 stack of burning of the half duration on a doubled cooldown. Looks fair

in PvP

Talyn Sneider.1825

See those wells from a power necro that tick at 3000 damage? Do you enter those? So don´t enter ring of fire…common sense…

The problem isn’t the damage per se (that is a l2p issue) It’s the blindness you get from burning.

in PvP

Talyn Sneider.1825

Napalm from Engi has 1 stack of burning of the half duration on a doubled cooldown. Looks fair

To be fair engis have access to more conditions that ele to compensate that…confusion, poison, bleeding are far easier to stack using a condition engineer.

Before people start talking about sigil of doom, current meta build replaced that by sigil of energy and sigil of leeching. Some eles still use it but it’s slowly being replaced.

Although I would like to see a reduction on number on burning stacks on D/D ele, but that per se wouldn’t make much of a difference in duels, most professions would still lose, they would just take longer to die.

What makes the current D/D ele so strong is blindness spam on burning.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

See those wells from a power necro that tick at 3000 damage? Do you enter those? So don´t enter ring of fire…common sense…

The problem isn’t the damage per se (that is a l2p issue) It’s the blindness you get from burning.

So what you’re saying is Wells should be increased to 4.5k damage (the damage a single cross over of ring of fire will do) and have their cooldowns reduced to 10 seconds? Cause in game for that.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Talyn Sneider.1825

So what you’re saying is Wells should be increased to 4.5k damage (the damage a single cross over of ring of fire will do) and have their cooldowns reduced to 10 seconds? Cause in game for that.

Wouldn’t see a problem in that to be truthful, I would see improvements on less used classes…like power necros. AOE damage can be mitigated by movement, the problem itself is the blindness you get, that mitigates you damage and leaves you open to a lot of extra pressure from the ele…

For example: Facing a GS warrior I place him inside a ring of fire, he stays inside to avoid burning (smart move) I take that chance to hit him with drake’s breath…he could do a trade off in dps and use thousand blades to out dps me, his thousand blades will miss due to blindness. Imagine he decided to change to hammer to cc me defending his position inside the ring, he’s attempts would fail due to blindness.

You can describe to me several 1 vs 1 scenarios and I’d reply to what i do in a duel and you’ll notice that what turns the fight around is always me blinding you.

PS: if you got all those buffs then you should lose the ability to place wells…if not it would be over the top

(edited by Talyn Sneider.1825)

in PvP

Necrotize.2974

Wells also deal damage per tick instantly. 4k damage from burns after 5 seconds would be a whole lot different than 4k damage ticks every second. Blinds aren’t that big of an issue for me honestly. Sure the trait has a 5 second cd, but the only burns ele has will be applied while in fire(aside from Cleansing Fire), so after they leave fire, you’re gonna pretty much be blind free for at least 9 seconds.

Also, if a GS warrior tried using Hundred Blades to defend your ring of fire, he’s playing wrong. Easiest thing? Whirlwind Attack right out of it once you start drakes breath. No burns from crossing, no burns from drakes breath, and he just dealt a good chunk of damage to you while also getting out of range of Fire Grab. Even if they get hit with the first tick of Drake’s Breath and got blinded, Whirlwind attack will instantly remove it and still deal a fair bit of damage. Or they can pop Berserker stance once they see you go into fire, then all they need to dodge is burning speed and they effectively nullified almost all your damage for that rotation.

Not sure if you caught it, but I was being sarcastic about the 40 stacks of burns. It was a joke and no one should be getting anywhere near half that much burn stacks from an ele at any given time unless they’re really bad or doing it on purpose.

in PvP

Talyn Sneider.1825

Wells also deal damage per tick instantly. 4k damage from burns after 5 seconds would be a whole lot different than 4k damage ticks every second. Blinds aren’t that big of an issue for me honestly. Sure the trait has a 5 second cd, but the only burns ele has will be applied while in fire(aside from Cleansing Fire), so after they leave fire, you’re gonna pretty much be blind free for at least 9 seconds.

Also, if a GS warrior tried using Hundred Blades to defend your ring of fire, he’s playing wrong. Easiest thing? Whirlwind Attack right out of it once you start drakes breath. No burns from crossing, no burns from drakes breath, and he just dealt a good chunk of damage to you while also getting out of range of Fire Grab. Even if they get hit with the first tick of Drake’s Breath and got blinded, Whirlwind attack will instantly remove it and still deal a fair bit of damage. Or they can pop Berserker stance once they see you go into fire, then all they need to dodge is burning speed and they effectively nullified almost all your damage for that rotation.

Not sure if you caught it, but I was being sarcastic about the 40 stacks of burns. It was a joke and no one should be getting anywhere near half that much burn stacks from an ele at any given time unless they’re really bad or doing it on purpose.

True whirlwind attack can be a nice solution, but won’t instantly remove the blindness (are you counting sigils for condition removal or am I missing something? ), In that case just proceed to port to warrior, swap to air and dodge into him…blindness is back, lightning whip for extra pressure, change to fire when available and reapply blind on burn.

Berzerker stance is a good counter but will only last so long, play defensibly, use shocking aura and cc in earth and you can outlast it pretty easily, then you can restart the blindness burn pressure cycle.

Sorry I didn’t caught the 40 stacks, I agree with you but you see such exaggerations regarding ele’s this days I just rolled with it

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Increasing RoF cd doesnt solve anything, I mean, unless you increase the cd a 100/150% it will be used exactly the same number of times

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: panda the chop chop.4712

panda the chop chop.4712

IGN: Itspanda

in PvP

Posted by: Ppxarg.9375

Ppxarg.9375

Rof should only apply 3 burning stacks only 1 time per target problem solved dd ele dont need more cc or dmg

in PvP

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

The most annoying thing about this if that if you use a teleport skill to move out of the ring of fire ( which should be a good play ), instead of avoiding taking burning stacks, you take a whole bunch like if you stepped in and out multiple time.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

Just give the burning application from the ring a short internal cooldown per target (0.25 seconds?) so stuff like what OP posted in the video can’t happen but the ring still functions as an area denial tool like it’s supposed to.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in PvP

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Wouldn’t see a problem in that to be truthful, I would see improvements on less used classes…like power necros. AOE damage can be mitigated by movement, the problem itself is the blindness you get, that mitigates you damage and leaves you open to a lot of extra pressure from the ele…

WANT WANT WANT

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in PvP

Talyn Sneider.1825

would love to see improvements on power necro but my argument remains people complaining about ring of fire haven’t seen a power necro back in their glory days…

Step into the well…MUAHAHAHH now tell me again how much a ring of fire hurts

And in a well you aren’t safe on the middle…just saying

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

This type of behavior for a skill is beyond ridiculous, even if the person it happens to is not skilled.

In many cases, it’s not even due to a lack of skill…it’s a graphics thing.

What’s even more hilarious is that you get blinded ON TOP OF the 47 stacks of burning if you make a mistake…how on earth can someone say this is “intended” behavior???

Even better question…How on earth does something like this not get fixed during internal testing?

(edited by SPESHAL.9106)

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Lol at the eles defending this…

No other burning skill functions this way. It’s clearly not Intended…

If you think ele is OK you are going to be really upset when it finally gets nerfed.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

I just want to add that necromancer wells are not in the same league of OPness as RoF, especially in spvp. Wells have a very long CD and more importantly, they take up utility slots. RoF only has a 10s CD traited, from the dagger off-hand.

Aside from the short cd without taking up utility slots, damage from wells is capped through pulses. I know the demonstration from that video is unrealistic but it is still frightening that the skill is capable of doing insane overkill damage with no capped pulses.

in PvP

MithranArkanere.8957

I just tried getting lots of stacks sending them back to the elementalist with a necromancer.

They just remove them. Elementalists need a little less condition removal spam.

So it’s not even something that can be countered to be turned against the elementalist.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

I just tried getting lots of stacks sending them back to the elementalist with a necromancer.

So it’s not even something that can be countered to be turned against the elementalist.

I have the same problem but it’s just build based. If you can pile enough other conditions on them their chance to clear the Burning goes down.

Alright meow, where were we?

in PvP

MithranArkanere.8957

I have the same problem but it’s just build based. If you can pile enough other conditions on them their chance to clear the Burning goes down.

Not really when they can take out 3 every 2 seconds.

And if they can’t, well, someone is doing the impossible around here.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

And when burning is the 7th condition to be cleansed it has already done its job. Necro is a soft counter, not a hard counter. You have to work for it still.

I agree that Ele could use less condi clear, even moreso I think they should at least have to put effort into condi clearing.

Alright meow, where were we?

in PvP

Posted by: BolshoiBooze.3406

BolshoiBooze.3406

And when burning is the 7th condition to be cleansed it has already done its job. Necro is a soft counter, not a hard counter. You have to work for it still.

I agree that Ele could use less condi clear, even moreso I think they should at least have to put effort into condi clearing.

Couldn’t agree more. The passive condi cleanses from cleansing water combined with all the regen traits are just stupid. I dislike most if not all passive defences, but this one really stands out to me.

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

The lack of an ICD per target is obviously the problem here. Every other burning application skill has an ICD of ~ 1 second.

The skill was obviously balanced around low stacks of burning and was never intended to inflict 40+. It has a 10 second (traited) cooldown and a 5 second uptime, and it does heavy physical aoe damage on cast. Mine does 2000+ physical aoe damage in celestial gear, and up to 4k on berserker on the initial cast. That’s before the burns even kick in… That’s pretty good for a skill with a 10 second cooldown…

(edited by Kharr.5746)

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Actually, a short ICD (2-3 seconds) on the burning per opponent with Ring of Fire is a pretty good idea. Keeps the fire field for combos and gives opponents a chance to move a bit more freely when it is on the field.

(edited by DaShi.1368)

in PvP

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

RoF wouldn’t be nearly as good if Conquest wasn’t the mode people cared about (even though Stronghold is still trying to be there).

…Actually I think the same crowd who hated Combustive Shot shifted gears to RoF since Warriors have dropped pretty far.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

RoF wouldn’t be nearly as good if Conquest wasn’t the mode people cared about (even though Stronghold is still trying to be there).

…Actually I think the same crowd who hated Combustive Shot shifted gears to RoF since Warriors have dropped pretty far.

RoF is pretty kitten OP in Stronghold too. Poor NPCs are dumb as hell, D/D ele are godly defense players because they can pretty much brainlessly AOE the poor critters while having close-to-unmatched Sustain, and are no longer bound to a node for survival, allowing them to utilize their mobility better. Of course a lot of things are OP against those buggers, ROF ranks up there very quickly.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)