Elite Specs Required for Weapon Usage?

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

The main question here is should the elite specializations be required to equip the weapon that comes with it?

Personally, I don’t think so. I would agree that the elite specializations are there to provide another play style to each class, and another avenue to improve a specific weapon but no further. Forcing the player to take a certain trait line to access a certain weapon undermines build diversity. Using mesmer as a example, I don’t really see a legit argument on why I shouldn’t be able to equip a shield If I so choose to not spec into chrono. The talent tree’s themselves should be the core of your build, and gives you the option to improve that specific weapon further, if that’s the route you choose to take.

It should be the same way with heal, utility, and elite skills that are locked into elite specs. If this were done you would see alout of builds come out of the woodwork that are very badly needed. I’m sure people would disagree with me on this for the following reasons.

1) Money from selling expansions – Which is a decent argument, however I’d argue that based off the link below it wouldn’t hurt to give more variety to their declining game.

http://imgur.com/Wt81wen

2) Resources – If they had the resources to a dead game mode that the majority didn’t want, I’m sure they could figure something out. Not to mention that this change isn’t too resource heavy, essentially just breaking some limitations and writing some new code.

3) Time – Probably the most legit argument here. A-net is notoriously slow when it comes to anything, so asking them to change something small seems like a almost impossible task when it comes to not waiting till you’re in a retirement home.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Countless

(edited by Trigr.6481)

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

NO.

Just…NO.

Elite specs are there to grant to the class a New Build Diversity and provide a New weapon and skills.
That traitline, weapon and skills are heavly chained to the Theme of that elite trait specializzation and there’s no need to make them viable also for the core class.

That will become more heavly seen after the PoF release.
As a necro/guardian player, I’d like to use the Bow with the Firebrand instead of the Axe and also be able to use that strong traps. But mix Elite weapons and skills will only make them even more OP than they actually are if compared to the core class.

Also, what’s the reason to use a elite if you can use Everything of it with the core class?
You lose a new mechanic but nothing more and frequently it’s not a true game changinc thing (still if it is for different classes because the current elite fix some of the core class weakness).

Every elite specializzation will grant a specific way to fight and a new chance to make new builds. That’s why they have specific weapons, skills and traits focused on a specific role.

For shure make core class able to use all the weapons and skills of elites will make them more viable and players able to make new builds, but it’s not the sense of elite specializzations.

In different areas there’s still Core builds viable for different classes. sPvP and WvW have some viable builds for core classes, expecially in WvW. In PvE I use a core build and I’m really strong.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Haha, good one. Two reasons:

Broken skillsets & balance: Thief rifle de-coupled from kneeling & malice would not even function. Holosmith with free Hammer weapon upgrade would be powercreep AF. Holosmith sword is even more of a joke if you don’t have heat for bonuses.

Skills & balance is probably not even the biggest problem, seeing ArenaNet skills & balance team giving up the cohesion/theme of all specs is the hardest to visualize. Core warrior nullifying and slicing off people’s boons, Mirage using skills called ‘Tides of Time’.

Interesting idea, there are way better ideas to bring your mirage viability into the spotlight, Kappa

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: voltaicbore.8012

voltaicbore.8012

Yeah OP, I’m not sure I see the merit in your idea. What your post seems to boil down to is “I want to cherry pick the coolest/most useful elements of elite specs and add it to my core build.”

To me, that essentially negates the meaning of having to make a choice between core and elite specs.

I have little to say about points 2 and 3 in your list, but about point 1: I’m not sure that the cherrypicking element would really convince anyone to buy who wouldn’t already do so. As for adding diversity to a declining game, I say there are other and better ways to do it.

in PvP

Posted by: The Mechanic.3567

The Mechanic.3567

To me, that essentially negates the meaning of having to make a choice between core and elite specs.

honestly i dont believe there is a choice, its either take the elite or your not competitive. i think its a cool idea the OP has, and the game needs some more diversity of builds. elite specs are trying to solve this problem. but the core traitlines suffer for it. Anet’s attempts at solving this issue have not produced the desired end result thus far. Elite specs are still better than playing a core profession at the limit. if you need proof just look at the top tier players in the game across all regions. not one of them plays a core build during competitions.

in PvP

Posted by: Reknarok.7582

Reknarok.7582

i honestly would just like elite specs to be brought down to core spec levels, there’s no need for such overpowered elite specs to be in the game, if your elite specs and new content are fun and engaging enough, people will buy it cause it’s fun. it doesn’t need to be overpowered.

in PvP

Posted by: Philelectric.3769

Philelectric.3769

I don’t really see a legit argument on why I shouldn’t be able to equip a shield If I so choose to not spec into chrono.

Daredevil+rifle. You really want to see it? Keep in mind, Deadeye get cantrip skills and there is a cantrip with 1200 range teleport. And the elite cantrip(stealth and remove reveal). You want to remove the lock on elite specs for abilities aswell.

With your idea I would be stuck into playing rifle daredevil with: Withdraw or channeled vigor as healing, Shadowstep,signet of agility and cantrip teleport. How would you beat a dash rifle daredevil who knows how to avoid reflect? 1200 unit teleport twice+1 so 3600 unit teleport with a 1200+range rifle with dash on top of it.

It would be broken as F.

I main a thief I dont want to see this kind of stupid stuff happen. I’m sure other players can point out other stuff that would be OP aswell

in PvP

Posted by: Brokensunday.4098

Brokensunday.4098

it would be nice but I can see some issues and for people that say dare devil with cantrips nope you will get the utilities from the elite specs you choose the only “free” thing you get is the weapon ( elite specs have a lot of flaws, synergies with trait’s lack of weapons list goes on and on) but we can only imagine what if.
elite specs should change your elite and utilities skills but weapons should be free to all that’s my point of view

in PvP

Posted by: Philelectric.3769

Philelectric.3769

it would be nice but I can see some issues and for people that say dare devil with cantrips nope you will get the utilities from the elite specs you choose the only “free” thing you get is the weapon ( elite specs have a lot of flaws, synergies with trait’s lack of weapons list goes on and on) but we can only imagine what if.
elite specs should change your elite and utilities skills but weapons should be free to all that’s my point of view

And again, daredevil with rifle would be op and broken. Nobody can be faster than a daredevil and you want us,daredevils, to have 1200 range? Imagine P/P skill 3 with 1200 range because rifle 3 is P/P 3 with 1200 range and dash and shadowstep.

Oh and rifle 4 when not kneeling is a teleport with 900 units range. You would never ever hit a rifle Daredevil that doesnt want you to hit him. A d/p daredevil can actualy do that but he wont hit you either. However, the rifle daredevil would hit you with a 1200 range version of P/P 3 and an extra 900 quick instant teleport with rifle 4.

Yes you can reflect but Bandits defense exist and dodges aswell and with 1200 range, the daredevil would have enough time to react to the reflect

(edited by Philelectric.3769)

in PvP

Posted by: Elyxia.2943

Elyxia.2943

with hot, new meta , with this new meta? boring…

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

You had me sold on using the new weapon even if you don’t have the elite traitline selected.

But the utilities need to be locked behind the elites.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.