Enemy ability use popup?

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Fipmip.7219

Fipmip.7219

I’m sure I’m walking into a mob burning here, but in the wise words of our great peer tyler the creator, ima just close my eyes kitten.

I was thinking of making it a little easier to perform interrupts by making a quick popup over the enemy appear when they use an ability. You know that grey heart that appears when you interrupt someone or that shield when they block? just a small popup like that with the name of the ability.

I thought that this may perhaps help reduce some of the gimmickiness of builds and introduce a more skill based way of countering someone trying to use a gimmicky rotation, by allowing a tiny window for interruptions. I realize that doing something like this may create a few problems, but it will solve more. In any case, I thought it at least worth testing.

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

GW1 had something like that in the form of skillbars (over the player’s head). Anet decided to replace that mechanic by giving every major skill a distinct animation (in general, I know some skills are problematic from this perspective), which is in my opinion one of the main selling point of this game, and one of the reason people have played in pvp for many hours: it raises the skill ceiling. I don’t see why they would change it now, since it’s working so well.

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

There are some skills with insta cast,even if they showed it you won’t ever time that right in regular fights,unless long cast skill offc.Most interrupts are pure luck besides some heavily telegraphed skills,from which there arn’t enough imo.

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Crowley.8761

Crowley.8761

How about making the entire game turn based with rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock as to who does the next action?

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Fipmip.7219

How about making the entire game turn based with rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock as to who does the next action?

oh my god.

that’s it.

everyone, the problem is solved. This man, right here, has the answer to all our problems. We need only support his motion and guild wars 2 can become the perfect game.

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Crowley.8761

Crowley.8761

oh my god.

that’s it.

everyone, the problem is solved. This man, right here, has the answer to all our problems. We need only support his motion and guild wars 2 can become the perfect game.

Thank you my dear, I also suggest always including a third player as a refereee on every PvP battle, and this person would then overrule the rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock winner and decide the fairest outcome of every battle based on a completely objective evaluation of individual skill through viewing the players chat and browser history.

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

I’m sure I’m walking into a mob burning here, but in the wise words of our great peer tyler the creator, ima just close my eyes kitten.

I was thinking of making it a little easier to perform interrupts by making a quick popup over the enemy appear when they use an ability. You know that grey heart that appears when you interrupt someone or that shield when they block? just a small popup like that with the name of the ability.

I thought that this may perhaps help reduce some of the gimmickiness of builds and introduce a more skill based way of countering someone trying to use a gimmicky rotation, by allowing a tiny window for interruptions. I realize that doing something like this may create a few problems, but it will solve more. In any case, I thought it at least worth testing.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, there are already things in play that allow you to do this. There are animations and wind ups for a large number of skills that can be interrupted.

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Fipmip.7219

oh my god.

that’s it.

Thank you my dear, I also suggest always including a third player as a refereee on every PvP battle, and this person would then overrule the rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock winner and decide the fairest outcome of every battle based on a completely objective evaluation of individual skill through viewing the players chat and browser history.

You know, who even needs the rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock? let us simply have the two players argue as to who would win between a rock and a lizard! There could be whole metabuilds based around constructing the perfect argument! Entire communities would form around the two sides! The forums would be filled with not vitrol about the state of this ability or that, but instead enlightened debate about the finer points of abstracts concepts behind the idea of the rock and the idea of the lizard! We can redefine the face of modern MMORPG PVP with this daring and bold strategy that will take the face of gaming as an entirely new genre.

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

oh my god.

that’s it.

You know, who even needs the rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock? let us simply have the two players argue as to who would win between a rock and a lizard! There could be whole metabuilds based around constructing the perfect argument! Entire communities would form around the two sides! The forums would be filled with not vitrol about the state of this ability or that, but instead enlightened debate about the finer points of abstracts concepts behind the idea of the rock and the idea of the lizard! We can redefine the face of modern MMORPG PVP with this daring and bold strategy that will take the face of gaming as an entirely new genre.

Not a new genre. Isn’t this how a D&D / Pathfinder game is played :p

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Kasteros.9847

Kasteros.9847

Yeah, just make more casual things in this game and get all hardcore content out of it! Timing interrupt is important stuff in this game. YOU HAVE TO WATCH ENEMY! Unless you can’t… Quit PvP. And if the problem is that you don’t know enemy skills then PLAY every class and learn it’s casts, afetr that you will be able to interrupt em like I do( Almost every hard cc from me is interupt of burst dmg skills)

[One][SiOn][dF]
16.03.15 We remember! R.I.P. MT
Shocking interview with Anet WvW Dev

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Yeah because we need to shoot gw2 back into the stone age of memos. Heck let’s remove the gfx too and make it text based.

Player used 100B!
Would you like to interrupt? Y/N
Y
You interrupt player and deal 2k damage.
Charizard used flamethrower!
It’s super effective.
Player fainted!

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

oh my god.

that’s it.

Not a new genre. Isn’t this how a D&D / Pathfinder game is played :p

I think he’s talking about more rock/lizard focused discussions.

The thing is, a lizard can die and rot away, and in that scenario the rock wins. I’d probably focus on the temporal element – perhaps even bring in v^2/c^2~1 frames of reference and how they could factor in (we’re only assuming these two objects are traveling at normal speeds).

Lizards would lose in a vacuum though, so the scenarios would be somewhat limited here realistically.

This must be what boredom feels like.

Phaatonn, London UK

(edited by Phaeton.9582)

Enemy ability use popup?

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

There are some skills with insta cast,even if they showed it you won’t ever time that right in regular fights,unless long cast skill offc.Most interrupts are pure luck besides some heavily telegraphed skills,from which there arn’t enough imo.

While it’s true that some skills are not telegraphed enough, you’re doing something wrong if you use luck to time your interrupts. Even timing a CC just after a dodge is not “luck”: you can predict that most people will use a skill after dodging.