Enemy endurance bar

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

no no no no
this would make counting dodges when trying to spike a necro etc completely useless and completely destroy the “skill” in this game
when it comes to thieves there are other ways to spike him for example daze/stun him when he is attacking with larcenous strike
please don’t add an endurance bar there

I’m sorry, but who actually thinks counting Necro dodges is difficult? They are the single class that even an idiot can keep track of 24/7. This is how it goes:
Dodge 1 gone
Dodge 2 gone, he’s out of dodges for the fight

Done deal.

This suggestion is aimed towards professions that have constant dodging. All it does is add an endurance bar. The person playing on the offensive still needs to bait out dodges and all other defensive CDs before they go blowing their entire burst into a block (which still isn’t shown), the defensive person can still do everything they did before, but they can’t play on the fact that its impossible to know some build’s endurance regen.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

(edited by Bhawb.7408)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Sensotix.4106

Sensotix.4106

no no no no
this would make counting dodges when trying to spike a necro etc completely useless and completely destroy the “skill” in this game
when it comes to thieves there are other ways to spike him for example daze/stun him when he is attacking with larcenous strike
please don’t add an endurance bar there

I’m sorry, but who actually thinks counting Necro dodges is difficult? They are the single class that even an idiot can keep track of 24/7. This is how it goes:
Dodge 1 gone
Dodge 2 gone, he’s out of dodges for the fight

Done deal.

This suggestion is aimed towards professions that have constant dodging. All it does is add an endurance bar. The person playing on the offensive still needs to bait out dodges and all other defensive CDs before they go blowing their entire burst into a block (which still isn’t shown), the defensive person can still do everything they did before, but they can’t play on the fact that its impossible to know some build’s endurance regen.

exactly its easy so why do you want it to make it even easier…

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Because there are 7 other classes than Necromancers, all of which can have multiple sources of invisible endurance regen, in addition to visible ones like Vigor, or signets.

My point was you picked the one profession that has no reliable self-caused endurance regen as your example of “skillfully” counting dodges.

Edit: Just to clarify, I understand why people are against it, and that’s fine, but the general examples for why we need it are professions like Thief that can have 4 or so ways to regain endurance, and you have no visible way of knowing that, and completely hidden passive things like that don’t foster good gameplay (as opposed to things that are fine to have “hidden” like stat boosts).

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

(edited by Bhawb.7408)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

No, it’s not needed.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

The only change is a ‘visual trigger’.
Anyone who has played the game for a few months and is decently aware, knows exactly how fast endurance regens so can pretty much assuredly tell when someone is low->out.

The only difference is complication.
No depth is involved.
At all.

you’re simply encouraging more spammy metagame instead of a thoughtful use of skills.

Ugh…
None of that makes sense…
Yes dodge rolling relates to using abilities.
No being more aware of endurance won’t make people more spammy…
Think.
Think about it.

If anything it’d make people hold on to their abilities more since they know when people can dodge or not…
That’s the exact opposite.
If anything it would mildly pull the game away from hard CC->spike (since more play is focused around endurance) which is good.

The only notable effect it seemingly would have is that you wouldn’t get an extra foot up on newer players…
Newer players who don’t know all the ins and outs of the invisble dodge counting system (with vigor/hidden regen)…
I mean, an advantage in addition to the ones you get from knowing all the terrible animations in this game and the numerous passives, the hidden utilities and experience in the fights coated in particle effects and in petting zoos…

(edited by garethh.3518)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: JoeVertigo.9236

JoeVertigo.9236

And I thought I was bad in PvP.

One of the reasons some people love PvP in GW2 is that the whole combat flow stays true to what the devs promised before launch. “You should be fighting your enemy, not your UI.” Seriously, if you don’t like it there’s already a game out there you should be playing. Stop forcing solution from other titles just because you think they define how an MMORPG should be made. The beauty of GW2 is that it’s different. I see that on every forum of every MMO, it’s disheartening really. People are terribly close-minded and want to homogenize everything they touch.

And no, adding any kind of endurance indicators, enemy cast bars, huge buff icons popping into your eyes doesn’t add to skill cap. Quite contrary, the fact that some folks feel it’s needed only shows how unwilling they are to admit they might not be as great at this game as they would like to think. For the record, I myself am not that good, but I know that room for improvement is in reading enemies, combat, movement, builds and so on and not in adding UI elements flooding my screen.

If you don’t know what the enemy is doing it’s not the game’s fault. It’s yours.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

And I thought I was bad in PvP.

One of the reasons some people love PvP in GW2 is that the whole combat flow stays true to what the devs promised before launch. “You should be fighting your enemy, not your UI.” Seriously, if you don’t like it there’s already a game out there you should be playing. Stop forcing solution from other titles just because you think they define how an MMORPG should be made. The beauty of GW2 is that it’s different. I see that on every forum of every MMO, it’s disheartening really. People are terribly close-minded and want to homogenize everything they touch.

And no, adding any kind of endurance indicators, enemy cast bars, huge buff icons popping into your eyes doesn’t add to skill cap. Quite contrary, the fact that some folks feel it’s needed only shows how unwilling they are to admit they might not be as great at this game as they would like to think. For the record, I myself am not that good, but I know that room for improvement is in reading enemies, combat, movement, builds and so on and not in adding UI elements flooding my screen.

If you don’t know what the enemy is doing it’s not the game’s fault. It’s yours.

that’d be the case if they had like in Elder Scrolls games where if you’re low on endurance you kinda limped a bit or looked more sluggish that showed that your energy was low. That’d be really cool.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

JoeVertigo.9236

that’d be the case if they had like in Elder Scrolls games where if you’re low on endurance you kinda limped a bit or looked more sluggish that showed that your energy was low. That’d be really cool.

You can’t know everything. The thing that defines the fun of PvP is the random element.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

You can’t know everything. The thing that defines the fun of PvP is the random element.

PvP isn’t really supposed to be random. It’s about outsmarting/outplaying the enemy, kind of like chess. You really should be able to judge at least 2-3 moves ahead depending on what you’re playing and once you take the time to figure out their playstyle/build (which takes about 10 seconds max)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

JoeVertigo.9236

PvP isn’t really supposed to be random. It’s about outsmarting/outplaying the enemy, kind of like chess. You really should be able to judge at least 2-3 moves ahead depending on what you’re playing and once you take the time to figure out their playstyle/build (which takes about 10 seconds max)

And smart PvPers are more than able to do that, I don’t see the issue. And there’s still a lot of randomness in this game.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

And smart PvPers are more than able to do that, I don’t see the issue. And there’s still a lot of randomness in this game.

I know they can, but as for counting Endurance (/dodge rolls) you can’t unless you magically find out if they have energy sigils or not, any hidden vigor traits etc. The thing is, is it’s entirely impossible to know these things which is why the bar would increase good playing. Also, it demotes spamming because you could rightfully watch for windows of opportunity, without having to play the guessing game. The guessing game is why its best to just spam the hell out of something and hope stuff lands (for the most part). I don’t think you guys are thinking it through how this would make the game LESS spammy and more skill intensive. Not every player is good at keeping an eye on various informations, such as enemy buffs (why not just hide those too, right?) personal buffs/conditions. Those things you can watch increase skill cap not lower it artificially by making you completely clueless.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

garethh.3518

In a game short on complications, sure it’d be good.
But this is GW2.

You already have to be aware of all the obscure animations
You already have to be aware of the extremely strong passives.
You already have to be aware of the hidden internal CDs.
You already have to be aware of the utilities and elites…

On top of that there are terrible, terrible particle effects and masses of pets completely congesting the game…

Forcing another factor, mentally counting dodge-rolls when endurance regen is largely untold (passive bonuses) is doing the game no favors.
If you could counterplay endurance regen, like it was common to have a few attacks that dealt endurance dmg, then seeing the endurance bar would largely dumb down play, but there isn’t… its nothing but a mental clock in a game overloaded with complications giving little depth.

You do have to realize, GW2 is failing.
If you want to game to have more depth, to have a higher skill cap… vi for it to have a higher skill-cap not a thing based off of silly complications anyone with a few months time could pick up.

(edited by garethh.3518)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Echoing other similar responses, this game has too much that is hidden. Consider the large amount of traits (some of which can be very important) with cds that sometimes are modified by other traits, skill cds (that can also be modified by traits), and let’s not forget the elephant in the room that rarely gets mentioned: cast bars. Recognizing skill animations—for various reason—really doesn’t work in practice. Add on top of all this an often fluctuating amount of adrenaline for a series of invulnerability frames and you have a single conclusion: too much garbage.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Also just to add. The whole “playing the UI” was related to add ons, and echoing what was said already about cluster problems aside.. It’s easy to realize that more information on the UI isn’t bad when you consider that if your tunnel visioning your cool downs health bars and other parts of the UI you do much worse. You still need to pay attention to the combat.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

This would dumb down pvp more than enemies showing on maps already have. If you are good at the game and experienced with playing/facing most of the classes you shouldn’t need for the game to tell you when they are out of dodges.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

garethh.3518

If you are good at the game and experienced with playing/facing most of the classes you shouldn’t need for the game to tell you when they are out of dodges.

The condi meta dumbed down the game.
The CC-spam warriors dumbed down the game.
The flanking strike spam thieves dumbed down the game.

If you think the game needs more depth, those are the issues.

know that GW2 is a casual game and for the year~ it has left will stay that way.
Complications that get in the way of decision making aren’t good in casual games.
for example… particle effects… bad animations… hidden internal CDs… hidden traits… hidden passives… hidden endurance bar… hidden utilities on CD…

Any few of those can squeeze by… but not all of them, not by a long-shot.
Endurance is by far the best of those to put out in the open, it’s a super easy fix and it actually makes players play the game better. If it’s easier to keep tabs on endurance people will play their CDs around it more.

They, in the end, teach players to play the game…
That’s good.
It draws people into the flow of combat and puts more focus on how you play your class, not ‘getting used to the GW2 engine.’

(edited by garethh.3518)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Phantom Master.9582

Phantom Master.9582

Yes Please!
/15 characters!

R80 Mesmer- Inquisitor Amena
Eternity~!

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

dont forget the fight against the camera

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Burjis.3087

Burjis.3087

I totally disagree with this.

This would be one step toward making “good observations and battle reconnaissance” less important.
Currently, a skilled-enough player can count the enemy dodges and bring vigor into considerations. During the match you can even analyze enemy movements and roughly figure out whether the enemy is using energy sigils or not. All these are possible with good observation and being vocal with your team.
An enemy endurance bar just kills all of these for people who can observe these things without a bar telling them so and just makes it plain easy for those who can’t. It just further lowers the gap between a great player and a normal one.

You might as well bring GW1 cast bars into GW2!!!!

Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] (www.espguild.com)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

I totally disagree with this.

This would be one step toward making “good observations and battle reconnaissance” less important.
Currently, a skilled-enough player can count the enemy dodges and bring vigor into considerations. During the match you can even analyze enemy movements and roughly figure out whether the enemy is using energy sigils or not. All these are possible with good observation and being vocal with your team.
An enemy endurance bar just kills all of these for people who can observe these things without a bar telling them so and just makes it plain easy for those who can’t. It just further lowers the gap between a great player and a normal one.

A good player cannot bring passive trait Endurance generation into consideration, nor sigil of energy because it’s impossible to know if they have them. (Except ranger, you can generally tell if they have the passive endurance regen trait.)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

milo.6942

which, coincidentally, is also a good idea.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

This gives an advantage to things which dont dodge much… I dont want the hambow warrior knowing his Earth Shaker will hit. If you’re pay attention and get a feel for the enemy then you should be baiting dodges and bursting giving people this information just makes it combat by numbers.
Without this information the combat is richer cause people will need to communicate their pressure on targets and you need to figure out if you’ve seen them dodge extra on weapon swap.
With this information all the ridiculous damage can be fired off without any fear of wasting it, this is information to help bring worse players up artificially. It shouldnt be done.

What would maybe be nice introducing energy destruction skills to the game (not just weakness but maybe something that took a chunk out of the endurance bar – much like energy burn)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Burjis.3087

I never said it’s easy and it’s not supposed to be. But it’s quite possible.

I might as well ask anet to also implement a “Win the Game” button. It makes everybody’s job easy wouldn’kitten (why the hell does the forums turn “wouldn’t i t” into this?!)

(edited by Burjis.3087)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

I never said it’s easy and it’s not supposed to be. But it’s quite possible.

I might as well ask anet to also implement a “Win the Game” button. It makes everybody’s job easy wouldn’kitten (why the hell does the forums turn “wouldn’t i t” into this?!)

The answer is no, it’s not possible unless you know every enemy’s build. Its 100% impossible if you don’t know if they run hidden endurance regen traits and/or have energy sigils. You can’t know that. Especially not from your first encounter. Its hidden stuff like this that ruins PvP. Being able to THINK about your next moves isn’t an iWin button. If that’s the case lets remove enemy boons, your own boons, etc and just hope for the best at all times… Get real.

In fact, lets just make sure we can’t see our HP in combat or our enemies. Just judge based on the damage counters you see in combat how much HP you probably have left.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

milo.6942

There is an enormous lack of information in this game. There is simply too much that is unknown to players. I feel like anet is favoring easy-to-use builds because it’s unrealistic to expect players to react, the game does everything in its power to not tell you any specific details about your opponents. It is a bad way to build a pvp game.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

I’d rather have cast bars instead of endurance bars :/

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

In a attempt to make this discussion a bit less hostile because I’m not sure what is so contentious here I’ll chime in a bit with some of the game design reasoning for what we show.

1) Having a bunch of hidden stuff is generally bad. Being able to keep track of hidden stuff doesn’t really improve the skill cap of the game in a good way. It just creates a bunch of confusion for most players and a bunch of not fun management for those that can deal with it. I would rather their skill was being used in more controllable areas of the game that place skillful and fun demands on those players.

2) There is a cutoff for what we can show both from a UI standpoint and from a technical standpoint and from a design standpoint.

• UI: We want a glance at an enemy to provide the most important information possible and not be full of clutter. You can see first hand (skill effects) how clutter can detract from a game and this was one area where I think we succeeded in keeping clutter down. If we show endurance, what else do we want to show and how slippery is that slope.
  • Technically: We want to limit the amount of information that your computer needs to have in order to play the game. This means that players with lower bandwidth can still play the game without requiring the server to relay too much information to them. The argument that I have more bandwidth and want to turn it is not going to work here because we build an environment and establish the minimum requirements to enter that environment and then it is our job to make sure not to design things that take away from the equitable nature of the game.
  • Design: Once you start considering these two elements design comes in and has to make judgement calls about what is important. We have to weigh all UI clutter and other screen clutter, not just health only vs health + endurance. We have to weigh all technical limitations not just the cost of sending endurance to each client but what things are necessary so that we can save up for showing things that absolutely are necessary. Now for endurance in particular we take into account things like how static something is. Health is pretty slow moving, relatively speaking to computer cycles and network packets sent. Endurance on the other hand is very transient. It can go from full to empty to full again in a few seconds based on differing factors that have already been mentioned in this thread. For example you might see someone at low endurance so you fire a spell knowing they can’t dodge, but before you finish casting they could weapon swap, refill half way and have a dodge available. This is going to cause players to make decisions based on it that are in actually lacking the full information that they need to really make that decision anyway.

Hopefully that gives you guys some insight into how stuff like this works. For endurance in particular these different factors led us to not report it and leave it off of the UI because we decided to make that trade off in order to make other design decisions. This stuff cascades very quickly and is a large part of the complexity that is the game design of a game as large as Guild Wars 2.

Jon

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

a dev – good morning arenanet

can we have the blogpost now we all waiting all day for it?^^

pleeeeease

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

Previous

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

I’m on vacation. I think it is today but don’t know when. Be patient.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

oh man its already dark, here in germany

edit: but yeah good post and so ^^

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

milo.6942

Thanks for your reply Jon. I agree with many points you raised. I would encourage you to revisit these mechanics that cause endurance to fluctuate so much—not just because they seem to be a barrier to showing endurance both technically and in completeness of information to players, but also because random dodging is a detrimental game mechanic.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

Reasonable explanation, thanks for the insight. Personally, I’d be on the side of giving the option of showing them (which gets around the UI clutter argument, if you put the power of customization in the users’ hands), so long as there weren’t any technical problems with it. Which I imagine there wouldn’t be, since it’s only a single extra 8-bit integer per nearby client. You could also disable these bars in WvW, where I imagine it might be a good amount of extra clutter. I’m also not a fan of slippery slope arguments, since as designers, you get the choice of where to draw the line. It’s not as if we’re talking about something outside of the designers’ direct control, which is usually the criteria necessary for slippery slope arguments to even apply.

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

(edited by cymerdown.4103)

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

VACATION!! This is NO TIME FOR VACATION WHEN PvP IS IN A CRYSIS.

Who needs vacations anyway.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Burjis.3087

In fact, lets just make sure we can’t see our HP in combat or our enemies. Just judge based on the damage counters you see in combat how much HP you probably have left.

And which part of this thread is about seeing our own information?

In fact, a game mode in which you have to figure out an enemy’s boons and conditions through physical indicators rather than icons would have been interesting. If only the game visuals weren’t so chaotic at times.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: klarkc.3754

klarkc.3754

God please NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The facts: The players need know how to count enemys dodges and CD’s, this split noobs from ‘pro’ players and makes the game more fun to be learned.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

milo.6942

The facts: The players need know how to count enemys dodges and CD’s, this split noobs from ‘pro’ players and makes the game more fun to be learned.

it’s pretty funny that Jon’s point #1 states exactly the opposite

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, but there are so many things in this game that lead me to believe they are trying to keep casuals and pros on equal footing, instead of created the skill separation required for a game to be competitive.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

You… CAn’t… DO THAT. kitten , why are people saying the same thing that’s false OVER AND OVER.

YOU CANNOT TELL IF AN ENEMY HAS ENERGY SIGILS.
YOU CANNOT TELL IF AN ENEMY HAS ENDURANCE REGEN TRAITS.
YOU CANNOT COUNT THAT ON FIRST SIGHT.

It’s not streamline nor is all information always displayed so stop making this pro-bullkitten comment. I’ve played in the top 200, and even top 50, I know what the hell I’m talking about. No, waiting for 2 dodges isn’t hard, but not having enough information absolutely leads to spamming everything on CD because there’s no telling 100% that anything will land so saving CDs becomes less optimal and it promotes spamming at all times rather than bait and push tactics.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: klarkc.3754

klarkc.3754

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, but there are so many things in this game that lead me to believe they are trying to keep casuals and pros on equal footing, instead of created the skill separation required for a game to be competitive.

Look at other competitive games:

Dota 2: You can’t see the CD of your enemys on UI.
WoW: On the default UI you can’t see the cd of your enemys (just suppose by mod’s).
LoL: You can’t see the CD of your enemys on UI.
BF4: You can’t see how much granades or bullet’s your enemy have.

So what is the point of being able to see enemy Dodge + whatever cd’s?

Yes you must see enemy’s cds WHILE in USE, not the Cooldown. This is ridiculous.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Evades are different than most MMO combat cooldowns. Notice how no one is asking to see enemy cooldowns. In most MMOs combat is pretty straight forward, exchanging damage and their defensive cooldowns are something really noticeable, shows up on the buff bar, and has like a 2+ minute cooldown. AND they also have addons (especially in WoW) where you can watch enemies’ long cooldowns. So yeah, you kinda can.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

In GW1, there was no way to see the enemy energy bar.

The only way to know they were out of energy was by using energy denial. If they had no more energy they’ll lose less than the energy damage the skill can make.

It was kind of annoying, but it let people make some nasty tricks like when a mesmer out of energy uses Ether Signet and goes “Now I don’t have energy… now I do!”.

I don’t think an extra bar should be added, cluttering more the interface, and making players look more at bars, but I won’t mind something like a change in the way characters walk or move when out of endurance. Maybe making their steps sluggish and making them hunch or do something like GW1’s /breath aniamtion when standing still…?
When players are crippled or chilled it shows very clearly even when there’s lots of visual effects or a zerg because our brains are rigged to look for maimed animals and those moving slower than the rest. It’s in the “hunter” part of hunter/gatherer.

As for skill activation, there should DEFINITELY be a way to see it.

But GW2 has very active combat and very flashy effects and way more movement, so GW1’s method would not do, because it requires having the target selected. It’s not really useful to see what the target is doing when you need to keep track of what 25 guys are doing.

I recommend using icons instead bars. An icon with a border growing around it that indicates activation or channeling, much like the border boons and conditions get to show their remaining duration.
As for instant activation, the icon would just raise faster from the character, and stay over the currently activating/channeled skill for a second or two.
As the skill animations are already performed, at least for those skills we can see there’s information being sent, so it should not increase too much bandwith.

And of course options to tweak that behavior and even disable it. Some people may want to see just the selected target, some may want to enable it even for allies.
Some may want to read tooltips on those icons, some won’t.

It’ll be better if nobody had to see icons instead just models and visuals, but let’s face it, there’s no way to clearly show what everyone is doing in a zerg.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

As Jon said though, showing the Endurance bar wouldn’t be a fix for endurance sigils. And those are the main things that make endurance jump up and down. Depending on class (Ranger and Engineer) you know how much natural regen they have, and if any class has vigor that’s already an upper cap on endurance regeneration.

Also, I dislike the comparisons made to chess. This isn’t chess. This is a game that does use an element of hidden information when it comes to traits/utilities/runes/sigils/class mechanics. As time in the match goes on, you figure out each other’s hidden pieces of information and change tactics accordingly. Showing endurance, one the equalizing bars in the game, is like showing mana in some other game.

Call me Smith.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

nah i dont like this idea at all

tbh they should just remove dodges of this game, dodges alone they are not bad, same as the weapon dodges but when u combine them with vigor/traits/whatever its kinda dumb and it just promotes stupidity and spam.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

VACATION!! This is NO TIME FOR VACATION WHEN PvP IS IN A CRYSIS.

Who needs vacations anyway.

Crisis, not crysis. This isn’t a fps.

Ranger | Elementalist

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

• UI: We want a glance at an enemy to provide the most important information possible and not be full of clutter. You can see first hand (skill effects) how clutter can detract from a game and this was one area where I think we succeeded in keeping clutter down. If we show endurance, what else do we want to show and how slippery is that slope.

I think it’s too early to declare the war on clutter a success, Jon.

^34s into video Observe the clutter in this competitive 2v2 Tournament Match. The plays? Buried.

^Observe Arken’s priceless reaction to the Pax 2013 Finals.

It’s not favorable or even fair for players or tournament organizers to outlaw multiple A.I builds in competitive matches, so the viewers of this game and the players don’t have to wade through 15-19 enemy nameplates instead of 5-7.

snip snp

• Technically: We want to limit the amount of information that your computer needs to have in order to play the game.
  • Design: Once you start considering these two elements design comes in and has to make judgement calls about what is important. We have to weigh all UI clutter and other screen clutter, not just health only vs health + endurance.

-Jon

But back on topic, in regards to the reasons why showing endurance bars as information for players, and why this visible endurance bar would not be ‘high quality information’ I find this to be upsetting.

Whether the player is counting dodges, or is seeing an enemy endurance bar – if the enemy’s endurance can often spike, this makes the information quality low. Like I said, the player’s in the dark whether he’s imagining the enemy endurance bar or visually seeing it.

Whether the player can see the endurance bar or not, the things that make the enemy’s dodging resources completely unknown to the attacker, that also most often get used for random dodges more than not, seem negative to the game.

Outside abilities like Elixir R and Signet of Agility, which have significant cooldowns and should rightfully do what they do, I’d say that the Energy Sigil accounts for about 95% of the remaining bursts in Endurance that make the information about the player’s endurance bar volatile and of low information quality.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endurance

^As you can see, there’s nothing that makes the information quality of the endurance bar ‘low’ other than Elixir R, Signet of Agility, and Energy Sigils. (Runes of the Adventure underpowered, and Sigil of Stamina only usable in zergs.)

This leads me to my main point that if Energy Sigils granted 10% endurance regen each second for 5 seconds, or a similar change, the information quality of ‘Enemy Endurance Bar’ would be high.

As you maybe can tell from my position on the things above, I am definitely pro visible endurance bar. I think with minor tweaks, it will be a huge reduction (improvement) to the amount of intuitive guess-work and a reduction of the high learning curve for new players. At the same time, this is going to expose players that don’t manage their resources well, and the exposing of their bad plays will make it easier for players to smell it and punish them.

Jon, I think your priorities are bang on for what criteria that new implementations to the game must meet. If the bandwidth and computer needs can be accommodated (I can’t comment on that), visible endurance will definitely help players to make better informed decisions and cut down on the chaos. If Sigil of Energy could be altered as to significantly reduce how transient the endurance bar is, that would be even better.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Hi Jon!
I’ll have to agree with 5G;
It’s hilarious to talk about Clutter when minionmancers/spiritrangers/Phantasms mesmers see play. PETTING ZOO META!

It would not be clutter if you could only see the endurance bar of one guy that you have targeted. Still I would much rather see Casting bars; or both.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Since people seem to be complaining about not knowing when the enemy will dodge. Doesn’t that mean we should see all their cooldowns too, because you never know when they will do a quick weapon swap dodge. That will be the samething as not knowing the enemies stamina.

This might actually make you miss more burst skills, since we can now lure you into a burst, then switch weapons and dodge. You guys need to be careful what you ask for. I am personally fine without seeing stamina.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Hi Jon!
It’s hilarious to talk about Clutter when minionmancers/spiritrangers/Phantasms mesmers see play. PETTING ZOO META!

It would not be clutter if you could only see the endurance bar of one guy that you have targeted. Still I would much rather see Casting bars; or both.

Could just watch and internalize the evade bar.

" He dodged, he dodged again, no more endurance. SPIKE NOW"

Ranger | Elementalist

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

Since people seem to be complaining about not knowing when the enemy will dodge. Doesn’t that mean we should see all their cooldowns too, because you never know when they will do a quick weapon swap dodge. That will be the samething as not knowing the enemies stamina.

This might actually make you miss more burst skills, since we can now lure you into a burst, then switch weapons and dodge. You guys need to be careful what you ask for. I am personally fine without seeing stamina.

For the new page, I feel like I should repeat it: The problem is more the energy sigils than anything else.

Call me Smith.

Enemy endurance bar

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Hi Jon!

Could just watch and internalize the evade bar.

" He dodged, he dodged again, no more endurance. SPIKE NOW"

The problem with this is the fact that Energy Sigils exist, endurance levels are very transient and no, it’s not reliable information to count dodges or see the endurance bar atm until that’s changed.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh