Explain how the *bleep* we are to survive this?

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

Seriously, this much damage in 3 seconds. I understand there is PvP but for goodness sakes that is ridiculous amount of damage in 3 seconds.

I don’t even know how to counter this, spec wise.

Screenshots: Look at combat log.

Attachments:

(edited by Shadowlancer.7102)

in PvP

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

pop the oh kitten button

in any game, if the other guy is popping every cd to one shot you, you pop every cd to survive

in PvP

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Jae.5138

You do realize as an Engineer all we have is “Elixir S” and the Trait “Elixir S”, which I will note, that an NPC or Player that does more than 26% damage in one shot, can by pass the trait ability.

It stops damage for 3 seconds. That was enough time for me to pop a heal skill and then die.

There is no way possible to survive that.

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I could tell this was going to be another “ZOMG Backstab!11” thread just from reading the title.

But to answer the question. In order to counter the damage you need to dodge as soon as the Thief enters 900 range. Be sure to face him when he does because he needs to be behind you in order to Backstab. Better is if you can catch him first and force him into defence. A single knock-back or stun is often enough to sit on the face of any glass-cannon Thief.

If you don’t see him coming……well…it’s only another 3 more days until the nerf.

(edited by Dee Jay.2460)

in PvP

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Dee Jay.2460

I’m not asking for a nerf, I am asking to make Engineer’s more competive in survival, nerfs do not solve this issue, this is a mechanic issue of what ability/spell can be used to counter another ability.

in PvP

Posted by: rich.3417

rich.3417

I could tell this was going to be another “ZOMG Backstab!11” thread just from reading the title.

But to answer the question. In order to counter the damage you need to dodge as soon as the Thief enters 900 range. Better is if you can catch him first and force him into defence.

If you don’t see him coming……well…it’s only another 3 more days until the nerf.

yep, cant wait for the nerf bat to hit…

in PvP

Posted by: rickshaw.5279

rickshaw.5279

I say the same thing every time I get shatter nuked, condition bombed, CC trolled to death or bent over by any number of ways from a warrior.

I seriously can’t wait for this “nerf” to hit. I wonder what people will whine about next. Oh wait… they already are. Dancing Daggers need teh nerfs! Also please nerf acrobatics. Thieves be dodging way too much. How can you counter that? Way unfair. Fix plz.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

To be fair, while Thieves do need changes, this has to do with WvW.

Stats are way, way, inflated there compared to Spvp.

in PvP

Dee Jay.2460

How so?

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

How so?

Are you serious? Oo

You have stats on every piece of gear in pve, including all jewelry slots, and weapons.

Also most of the burst comes from Mug, which is an incredibly OP trait imo.

Then again, those do look like numbers you could get in Spvp against a squishy.

(edited by Knote.2904)

in PvP

Shadowlancer.7102

This thread has derailed and went off topic.

The point of this Thread was any hints how to counter burst with the limited survivability Engineer profession has, but didn’t happen and went into a personal Thief attacks.

Forum Moderator, please close this thread as it no longer under control.

in PvP

Posted by: Bombul.2506

Bombul.2506

Seriously, this much damage in 3 seconds. I understand there is PvP but for goodness sakes that is ridiculous amount of damage in 3 seconds.

Hmm, that was at least 6 button click abilities….

in PvP

Dee Jay.2460

How so?

Are you serious? Oo

You have stats on every piece of gear in pve, including all jewelry slots, and weapons.

I’m fairly confident you have the same overall stats in sPvP as you’d have with regular exotics in normal WvW.

The only thing that affected WvW was the boosters and the Orb buffs, which don’t exist any more.

in PvP

Posted by: edamber.1549

edamber.1549

So ppl still crying of thiefs.

-Heartseeker nerfed
-Pistol whip nerfed to the ground
-Assassins signet nerfed, BS NOT a problem anymore.

Except maybe some culling problems and stealth tweaking I do not see a problem with the thief. I have a much harder time fighting Guardians, warriors and mesmers.

in PvP

Posted by: Paranoid.9542

Paranoid.9542

I’m fairly confident you have the same overall stats in sPvP as you’d have with regular exotics in normal WvW.

The only thing that affected WvW was the boosters and the Orb buffs, which don’t exist any more.

Yep, all the stats from pve armour, jewelery etc. are all condensed onto the amulet and jewel in the amulet

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

@Shadowlancer, your original post had nothing to do with asking for help as an engineer as you didn’t even mention what class you were in the first post. It looked like pretty much every thief whine that has already been posted. However, I will try to give you some help.

Obviously the most effective counter is to be aware of your surroundings and try to act pre-emptively against a thief. Of course that isn’t always possible, so lets talk about once the thief already has a jump on you.

The engineer’s best tool against a thief is the smoke bomb in the bomb kit. After getting attack by a thief and using a stun break you should pretty much immediately use smoke bomb and then either concussion bomb or your heal (depends on how much damage the initial burst did). The smoke bomb should protect you from the final portion of his burst and you will be pretty injured but alive, the thief will probably be at around 75% life at this point from the confusion bomb and other random hits you might have gotten off.

The next moves depend on your weapon set. If you are using rifle, use overcharged shot to knockdown the thief, follow it up with the immobilize and then finish the thief with auto attacks/blunderbuss.

If you are using pistol/shield use #3 for confusion/blind, use #2 to get some poison up and then use shield 4/5 to keep yourself up as the conditions tick.

If they use lots of stealth using grenades and throwing them at your feet is effective as well.

Engineers have many tools to defeat thieves and they may even be one of the best equipped classes for killing thieves.

in PvP

Shadowlancer.7102

Hmm, that was at least 6 button click abilities….

The second screenshot was when I was in downstate, note the “Grappling Hook” used?

Also the Thief was given Time Warp by a Mesmer, so all his attacks were cut down by half the casting time. The big problem was how to by pass the almost 9.1k damage + the 5k damage combined.

However to end this thread…

GW2 Insider noted that there are 30 changes to Engineer’s coming Nov. 16, so there is no reason to even discuss a possible fix to Engineer’s survivability until the Patch goes live and I am able to test it out.

(edited by Shadowlancer.7102)

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

3 secs? There are players who can avoid it and kill the thief back in 3 seconds…and WvsW with PvE gear? Sorry but this is not going to be interesting, pve gear on both attacker and defender can be too much different to judge something….and anyway 3 secs it’s way more than enough time to counter a burst

in PvP

Posted by: Tapsteve.8579

Tapsteve.8579

I knew you’d get a lot of l2p crap as an answer. The truth is you can’t. The 3 seconds you refer to is the thief without quickness, with that running you’re talking less than 1 second.
You will see thief after thief creating exaggerated defense ‘theory’ and that’s all it is.
The class is simply a mistake and Anet have created a monster, whatever they do now they are kitten
P.S What is with people constantly using the ‘kitten’ term… it’s like schoolkid speak.
Get a grip.

in PvP

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

A thief running the backstab build with quickness is barely any faster than without, as no matter what, he still needs to position himself behind you.

The answer as to how to counter it will vary by trait, or class, but in general, protection, aegis, evasion, CCs, Blinds, and Invulnerabilities are all viable ways of dealing with backstab thieves.

in PvP

Posted by: avalon.4102

avalon.4102

clearly l2p issue.
you stood there afk eating the burst and complain?

in PvP

Posted by: Godorn.2931

Godorn.2931

To the OP, don’t worry about it. The responses you get are immaterial. If ANet does not respond to this adequately like Warhammer, then they too will be just another game that let a stealth class decimate their player base.

They will respond when it begins to affect their bottom line, you can count on that. Vote with your money and the rest will fall in line, or you can be like many others who went back to other games.

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

The screenshots don’t mean much without a build… a majority of new players build completely offensive and go down to all burst, not just Thieves, but Thieves are better at it and come in unseen, so they get the majority of the blame. If you post your build and runes it might give better insight to your spec.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

To the OP, don’t worry about it. The responses you get are immaterial. If ANet does not respond to this adequately like Warhammer, then they too will be just another game that let a stealth class decimate their player base.

They will respond when it begins to affect their bottom line, you can count on that. Vote with your money and the rest will fall in line, or you can be like many others who went back to other games.

This since forever.
OP, don’t worry what these people say.

“u must be bad l2p” “it’s not OP because it can be countered” “u must be too glass cannon”

Seen this type of comment so many times before.

They have to nerf it or game population dies.

Due to other problems with game it will probably die regardless but this is one of many problems which make people quit. too high burst damage. not even thief specific tbh.

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

Dont worry about it OP, its clearly broken.

None of these thief players could do any better then you did no matter what they say.

I made a thief to test the combo and learn its weak points. Its easy to the extream and has zero weakpoints, its the perfect glass cannon build never seen anything so fast and strong in all my MMO gaming days.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Dont worry about it OP, its clearly broken.

None of these thief players could do any better then you did no matter what they say.

I made a thief to test the combo and learn its weak points. Its easy to the extream and has zero weakpoints, its the perfect glass cannon build never seen anything so fast and strong in all my MMO gaming days.

Zero weakpoints? Thief best bunker of the year guys….don’t run gurdians with tough, healing, aegis, cond removal and conversion and so on.. just take a thief and tank people to hell

in PvP

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Is that the JP? Judging by those screens I’d say they were camping waiting to gank whoever came by. Judging by the limited terrain, they probably could have killed you with anything just by the nature of the attack. (They just happened to be using 2 classes that eat lone wolves for breakfast.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in PvP

Posted by: Pyrial.2917

Pyrial.2917

@ Dee Jay.2460

I’m not asking for a nerf, I am asking to make Engineer’s more competive in survival, nerfs do not solve this issue, this is a mechanic issue of what ability/spell can be used to counter another ability.

What exactly are you looking for? More survival? Engineers are one of the big three when it comes to bunker builds.

As a GC engineer the big issue is the dancing you have to do to pull off inferior burst to some of the other GC specs. So either bring them in line, with mechanics, or tone down their burst.

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

An engineer is a class with very high number of knockbacks/snares and S potion that makes you evade all attacks and a possibility to become one of the best bunker build ingame has a problem with a thief? I do not play engineer (main in necro), but the basic idea is to dodge his burst that is usually first 3 seconds with dodge+s potion + dodge and kill the thief : o

in PvP

Archaon.6245

And maybe if you want to learn how to play pvp seriously leave wvsw and go tpvp….wvsw it’s all about gear and zerg, it’s not pvp it’s just a different type of semi-intelligent mobs pve…you can run pretty much everything with pretty much every gear, your zerg is bigger and you suck? you will win anyway….that’s not the way to learn something at all